Masters Running

Looking to join your group (Read 458 times)

Hi, I've just recently joined the RA site. It's awesome. I decided now was as good a time as any to dive into the forums. This on-line community is a bit new for me and will take a little getting used to which is funny since I'm a programmer. Anyway, I'm 43 and started running last July using the C25K. I ran my first 5K last fall and my second last week. I set PR's in both, but that was not hard as I'm pretty slow. Also, my mileage is miniscule compared to some of you folks. I don't mind though. I'd never been a runner before and still have a hard time considering myself one. But I figure if I can manage to get outside in single degree weather this past winter and hopscotch the sidewalks looking for a spot to plant my feet that is not covered in ice, I must be nuts, and will therefore hopefully fit right in. My goals for this year are to just stay a runner and to have fun. Hoping to get to know some of you better... Janet
    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome Janet--as one of the minuscule milers that hang out here, I can say that you'll be very welcomed on this board. Seems you have the main virtue needed to be a runner (and hang out here) so will fit in well. Wink We also have our own little sub-group of "newbies" (quotes because some of us have been doing it for a while, just having to keep starting over) that you're also more than welcome to join in. I have the same doubts about being a runner--most folks here say "do you get out and run?--then you're a runner". miles and times aren't terribly important. Have fun reading, and don't be (too) afraid to ask about the inside jokes. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Welcome, Janet! It's a friendly and supportive group with people of all abilities, so jump right in. There's a "daily thread" where most folks post their workout (or rest) that day and where people catch up on what's happening. I encourage you to jump in there and say hello. Congrats on nearly a year of running!

Be safe. Be kind.

#artbydmcbride

Welcome runner HandyMom! Smile

Runners run

Mariposai

Welcome aboard HandyMom, we would love you have you here. This is a very safe and fun place. We are just a bunch of boomers who loves to run, eat and chat... Tongue Congrats on your successful C25K accomplishment.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Janet - welcome to the Boomers group! Where are you from - must be one of the northern states with your reference to single digit weather. Post often!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Don't be silly - you're definitely a runner if you're out there in the dead of winter, the heat of summer, and/or under cover of darkness. On second thought, go ahead and be silly. You'll fit right in. Welcome!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Renee the dog

Hi ya! I'm 43 too and while a lifelong athlete, only turned into a runner a few years ago. Seems like I needed kids to run away from to turn me into a legit "runner." Big grin Welcome and have fun!!! Lots of very funny people around here. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. Enjoy!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Welcome, Janet. You will fit right in, I am sure. Not only as a runner, but because a lot of us on here are techies too (after all, we're the ones who sit in front of a computer all day long). You'll find that posting on the daily is the best way to get to know people, and you're sure to get tips and other comments in response. I know you'll enjoy your stay here!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Welcome Janet, You just added yourself to quite a unique and diverse group of runners of all abilities. Post as often as you can and if you haven't figured it out already, the sky is the limit as far as your running is concerned, and we are all here as proof! Fran
                        Janet welcome, as a 44 yr old runner you may feel free to use me as your role model as many people in this forum do even if they don't outwardly admit it. Spareribs in particular asks himself WWCD (What would Craneium Do?) before he does anything even non running related. PS the above except for the welcome and my age are completely false but hey since you don't know me yet it was worth a shot.
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Welcome, Janet! Another C25K grad here. I'm a 45-year-old mom. You're doing great! Your 5k race time last week is not slow! You're definitely "ahead" of where I was at your point. If you were dedicated enough to survive winter running conditions, you are more of a runner than a lot of people! I live in Maine, so I can relate. I made it through a lot of cold runs, so I feel a little smug when I see so many warm-weather runners now - where were they in January? Good luck, and it will be nice to get to know you! Teresa
                            Welcome, Janet! This is a great place. Lots of different daily posts you can check out. I hang with the strange but lovable group over at 40's On the Run. We all at various stages in our running and are extremely supportive of one another, as it everyone else in the Masters Group. If you see a thread with "RR" in its title, it's a race report, and those are loads of fun to read. Funny, inspiring, thoughtful, crazy . . . Congrats on your PR's, and may there be many more in your future. Smile

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Welcome, Janet! There are sooo many great people here. It can be intimidating reading about the races/workouts of some of the superb athletes who post about marathons, 6 minute miles, etc., but there are also people like me who run a lot slower and live vicariously through the elites. It's all good. Jump in - you'll feel like you've just joined a very large family! Jeanne
                              HermosaBoy

Remember what Groucho Marx said: Never join a group that would have you as a member. Wink Just kidding! Welcome!!!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob