Masters Running

Sunday - 12/28 (Read 31 times)

Dave59

Good morning.  What's Up?

Only 4 days left to accomplish any remaining 2014 goals.

Yesterday I made a trip to the running store for a new pair of Brooks Ghost 7's.  I am gradually switching out my old stability shoes with 300+ miles to neutral cushion shoes.  Last month I got some New Balance 880's.  At that time, the Ghost felt just as good when I was trying on shoes and since Brooks has been very good to me, I went back and picked up a pair of them.

I have my biggest software install in years this morning.  I got things ready this morning, then headed out for a 2-mile test run on the new shoes.  They felt great.  Now I am waiting for the system to come up from the weekend backup to get started.  I'm updating the whole dental claims system with some major enhancements.  I worked my butt off to get the changes done by July only to have the business change their minds about the deadline.  They finally decided to give the ok to go live with it all for 1/1/15.

10 months ago I would be a basket case about an install like this.  I wouldn't have slept last night.  But thanks to my meltdown and recovery last March it barely worries me at all.  Nothing like getting your wrong thinking fixed to make life a lot easier.

C-R

Good luck on the install Dave. I'm sure it will work out the way you intend it. Way to get some miles on those new shoes.

I managed 7.8 this morning in some nice temps (33). Very overcast and humid. Wonder if we're getting snow or more drizzle. Oh well it matter not as I have to finish the floor today.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...hi guys//...........in the store taking inventory this morning........ (tell me again about the Joys of Being Self Employed)

you only have to work a Half Day

>>>>>>>pick any 12-hours you want<<<<<<

==========

..but I digress......

60-min bike ride 30-degrees in rain, 7-up and 7-down

got

a rear view helmet mirror thing,,,,,,,,,,gives me the Illusion of Actually Being Safe,,,,

Pickles reminded me to wear my DuckHunting Pants

,,,,,,which would have been a GREAT IDEA if I had remembered I had them

..........only went duck hunting once,

and

we went home when I offered to set the DuckBlind on fire to get some friggin' heat

Pickles

got a new car for Christmas,,,,,,,,,,it's a Volvo STATION WAGON!!!!!!!!

........she's thrilled, I (on the other hand) didn't even know they still made them

also

they're kinda hard to Gift Wrap

..............good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Good morning guys and all to follow. Nice running and installs by both of you - software and hardwood

Oops - Tom snuck in while I was posting. Morning Tom! You don't wrap cars - haven't you seen the Lexus commercial where you just stick a big red bow on the top?

Our warm temps have gone south, probably for quite a while if you look at the extended forecast for next week. 7 miles this morning in 19° with a good stiff "breeze" out of the SW.  I'm in need of some new shoes as well and am thinking about switching things up. I've been running in the Saucony Rides forever due to past issues with PF. I have inserts that I use but am wondering if I could switch to a lighter, more minimalist shoe. Opinions anyone???

The industrial fans and dehumidifiers are being gradually taken out of our family room, and they're coming to get the last of them this morning. Then tomorrow they'll re-stretch and re-lay the carpeting, sanitize, disinfect, and clean everything - hopefully to be out of here by the time our buyers come to do the final walk-through at 2:30 tomorrow afternoon. DH is feeling stressed. Not only are we dealing with this, but they haven't started building our condo yet. We're renting back from our buyers until March 1, because that's when the condo was supposed to be finished. They haven't even dug the hole yet. We could be out on the street at the end of February. Anyone looking for some long-term house guests?

Go Packers!

C'mon over this way JLynne, we have plenty of space!  You'll have to deal with Patriots cheering though...

Awesome gifts TW....safety for you and a car for Pickles. awesome and indeed no need to wrap a car....bow on the key fob or on you IN the car will suffice.

Hope the upgrade/install goes well Dave and good not to meltdown---all will be well

Ran 10 miles with some teammates this morning on a local race course. Hilly as heck, but great company makes all tough runs better. Rainy and grey morning and still mild here. The cold is on its way, but no snow still....

Nice running C-R

...I should have check here first,,,,,,,,,,,I bought 27-miles of ScotchTape

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday, all.

And Happy SW install Dave.  Hope you have a Happy New Year's day.

Wow, Santa was good to Pickles   Don't know why you never got invited back for more duck hunting, TW.

Glad you've dried out, Jeanne.  I've been very happy with the Brooks Pure Connect.  I've had versions 1-3.  As usual, YMMV.

In the interest of making the bars on my graph a little narrower, I went out again this morning.  Not as nice weather as yesterday, but 5.1 miles in 45F with a 9:20 pace.  I'm happy there's still a little fitness left after a pretty paltry December.  My new shorts worked very nicely.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

I just caught up wight the last couple of days' postings. I want to say to MikeE that I'm with Holly on thinking that story was going to turn out differently. But yes, good to get that out of your system!

So much good stuff in here. And yes Pickles really scored, but too bad she'll spend the next month unwrapping the car and pulling off the tape! Lots of good running from so many. It seems like so many of you don't have any snow this year, right? After last year that sure is a change (from what I can recall, which usually isn't much...). We got a late start to our snow, but earlier this week got almost 6" that we're still dealing with. We had the grader go by earlier this morning so our road is finally cleared. And the temps are so nice I'll go for a run in a while.

I finally got my treadmill all cleaned up and working. Poor thing was such a mess after spending the rainy summer in the driveway. Even with layers of plastic cover it had some corrosion on the motor casing and birch and cottonwood seeds everywhere. Got the belt lubed and walked maybe a mile to get it warmed up, then ran 3.5 easy miles with different elevations. Feels good to have it back!

Got another week off work and hope I don't waste the days, although today has been remarkably unproductive so far....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I guess I can give up any hopes of writing romance novels.

So, Dave--when will you know how your software install worked?

Jlynne--I meant to comment on your flooded basement before.  Having had my basement flood twice, I know that feeling...but I cannot imagine how I would feel if I were just about ready to close on the sale of the house.  It sounds like you have things pretty much under control.  I hope everything continues as planned.

Would somebody please remind me to buy a new sump pump with a battery backup as we get closer to spring?

A couple weeks ago, I realized I was close to breaking my yearly mileage total so I started focusing on passing 2358 miles.  Then I passed it, and I realized how close I was to getting to 2400 miles...so, today, I did 12 miles to leave 10 more miles that I will, hopefully, get on Tuesday.

Oh--Jlynne--I was going to offer you a place to stay...but then you blew it by saying this:

Go Packers!

Okay--I gotta go!  See ya!

Dave59

So, Dave--when will you know how your software install worked?

It's been a rough one.  A few problems along the way and the users are finding some little things as they shake it out.   I just fixed the last one and waiting for some feedback.  Some of this was brought on by the fact that the work has been done for so many months and just sitting there waiting to be installed.  Somehow little pieces were moved or changed.  The rest of the problems are just due to the large scope of the project.  The install software never works on things this big.

I thought I would be done by noon, but I'm still chipping away.  This means I will probably sneak out Friday to make up for working all day Sunday.  So in that respect it is ok.

By the way, I told Cindy I hit like on an old girlfriend's picture.  She seems to know what I hit like on, so I didn't want to take any chances that she already knew.  I guess it was no problem because she is still here.

King of PhotoShop

Big day at the Rib Cage!

Started off by celebrating 29 happy years of marriage by running 16 miles at the Lake with the Saint.  This was her first 16-miler ever, and my first since my surgery in April-May. So that was rewarding.  By the time we got back to the clubhouse however, everyone had gone home and locked everything up. My car keys were inside.  Tough waiting out there in the cold until someone came and let us in.

Then we went to a sendoff brunch for one of the monks at Hudson's school.  He is a marathoner, and off to Hungary to teach next semester. Saw lots of friends.

Tonight we'll go to some local restaurant and celebrate.  Spareribs

Nice long runs for CNY, Mike, ribs, and The Saint.  Good job on the speedwork for CNY.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and there was a little wind.  I got in 3 miles at an 11:32 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

10 months ago I would be a basket case about an install like this.  I wouldn't have slept last night.  But thanks to my meltdown and recovery last March it barely worries me at all.  Nothing like getting your wrong thinking fixed to make life a lot easier.

Awesome - what was your secret?

Ribs - Happy Anniversary to you and the Saint!

Since our trash pick up is on Mondays, I took down our Christmas tree today.  While I was at it (and had all the bins pulled out of the under-stair storage area), I figured I may as well put away the rest of the decorations. Took me several hours, but the house is back to normal.  Sorry to see it go, though, as we head into my least favorite two months of the year.

4 recovery miles for me this morning in 34 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

We had our family Hanukkah party today - primarily an excuse for everyone to get together as we said no presents.

Me, 4 grandkids, Henry's DIL, and my DD

I have another pic of just the 4 grandkids which will come in a few days because it's on a different camera and 2 grandkids are spending a couple of nights with us and they both just fell asleep and no way do I want them to wake up so i can post another pic.  my voice is hoarse from talking and reading.  but it's wonderful!  I'll get back to RA reading and commenting in a couple of days

marj

evanflein

I've never understood packing up the tree right after Christmas, but then we always get it up kind of late. My mom used to say you should leave it up at least until Three Kings Day (Epiphany), but I think that was just an excuse to not take it down earlier (more a procrastination technique than intentional observation of Epiphany....). But, hey, it works for me. The box ours goes in is just shot so I've been looking at tree storage bags online. So I might just leave mine up until the storage bag shows up!

Have fun, Marj! Being hoarse and tired from reading and laughing and all that is a good thing.

Happy Anniversary to Ribs and the Saint, and congratulations on her longest run ever and Ribs' longest since surgery! You guys are covering a lot of milestones today.

I took advantage of the warm temps (low 20's) and freshly plowed roads to get out and run our hilly neighborhood roads today. 9.1 miles total, which includes a few out-and-backs and double loops. I do like how I can get that many miles in and some good hill work without ever being more than 2 miles from home at any given time. Comes in handy when it's colder, but nice today since I wasn't sure how long I'd want to be out there.

Making lasagna tonight, one of DS2's requests for when he's home. He leaves Friday, so I need to make a pumpkin pie tomorrow....