Masters Running

Significant Other 5K Race Report and 13. (Read 232 times)

OK this is really the first chance I have had to catch up on the weekend’s forum and my own mileage posts. I traveled to York to run in the 1st “Significant Others 5K” which has branched off the “All Women and One Lucky Guy” Half Marathon that Teresa ran. My plan was to run the 5K maybe not race it all out but run it pretty hard and then after I turned in my chip and got some refreshments I would run the half marathon course for a nice marathon paced training run at 7:38 per mile average. Fashion report – red and white singlet, black w/red stripes running shorts, red and white Asics 2110’s, Boston Red Sox Dri Fit Cap, red sunglasses and my trusty Garmin. Sunday – Pre-Race Warm Up – 1 mile – 8:37 5K Road Race –As I lined up I realized that the field was only about 100 deep or so and it didn’t look like there were too many speedsters although you never know so I thought maybe a top ten was in sight. The gun went off and we went out and I got right to work on about a 6:26 pace and found myself in fifth place after about a half mile or so. We had a pretty good little hill in the first mile and that marker came at about 6:20. Shortly after the 1st mile marker as we turned right onto Ridge Road I realized that both the number 4 and number 5 runners were beginning to fall back and I surged past them both within about 10 seconds of each other and found myself in third place for awhile. However at about a quarter mile before the 2 mile marker I could hear footsteps and thought that the younger of the two runners I had passed was probably trying to make his move but it was the eventual first woman finisher a 23 year old and she was going pretty strong and I told her so as she went by. Mile two came at about 12:45 and I grabbed a cup of water to wet my whistle. As I approached the turn onto Long Beach I was told by the traffic officer that I was the third male and fourth overall – (“tell me something I didn’t know I thought to myself” and realized they were trying to help) as the gap widened a little more between me and the girl who had passed me I was making a turn onto Long Sands Road for the final push to the finish and I did something I don’t often do in a race, I looked over my right shoulder and couldn’t see another runner! At that point I knew I had 4th place locked up and backed off just a bit knowing that I still had 13 plus miles ahead of me. I passed mile 3 at 19:10 and simply coasted to the finish at 20:20 (6:22) Avg HR 163 Max HR 168 - 4/108 OA, 1st master (except really the first master was the number two finisher) 1st in AG. I was a bit surprised that I finished over 20 minutes until after I finished the day out and realized this course is definitely long! They used a course which is often used in town for certified 5K’s but added a loop through a side street and lengthened the final stretch to the finish after entering the high school to use the same finish mat as the half marathon. No big deal we all ran the same course, overall I’m pretty happy. Now for my marathon paced training run – I took a bit of a rest in that I had to take off my timing chip and put it in the bucket and then grabbed a drink and went to my car to take care of a few things and then headed out on the Half Marathon Course at about 9:30 which was a full 30 minutes after the start of the race. My goal was to run at marathon pace (7:38) – Actual - 13.25 miles - 1:41:11 (7:38) Avg HR 150 Max HR 164 – I couldn’t be any happier – Big grin- this was dead on and I had some tired legs towards the end but this really helps my confidence after running the 5K and then running this distance and fairly comfortably for the most part. Here are my splits and corresponding heart rates: 7:42 - 139 / 146 7:44 - 142 / 148 7:38 - 142 / 145 7:52 - 144 / 149 7:37 - 142 / 148 7:35 - 148 / 154 7:42 - 148 / 157 7:24 - 150 / 153 7:34 - 154 / 157 7:26 - 156 / 159 7:28 - 158 / 160 7:53 - 160 / 165 7:44 - 159 / 162 0:49 - 162 / 162 PS - I was hoping to spot Teresa out on the course but I didn't, I tried hard to give props to all the ladies I passed as I am so impressed with all of their efforts, especially those first timers ... hey I was there once! Wink
    wildchild

Carolyn

Speedy running! So you bandited the half marathon? Trying to be the second lucky guy? Surprised

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job! Congratulations on your 4th place finish. Huh, you were more than 30 minutes faster than me, so you MUST have passed me at some point. Weird. I saw one guy banditing it, but it definitely wasn't you, because I passed him easily! Wink
          Great job! Congratulations on your 4th place finish. Huh, you were more than 30 minutes faster than me, so you MUST have passed me at some point. Weird. I saw one guy banditing it, but it definitely wasn't you, because I passed him easily! Wink
          Yeah Teresa I finished around 11:10 or so and you must have come in about 11:30 or so. I definitely wasn't passed by any girls but I 'll tell you what the top 8 girls would pretty much whoop me any day of the week! And the next four or five would give me a run for my money any day as well. I have the utmost respect for any runner, male or female doesn't matter to me as long as they are respectful as well. You all got just the perfect day for a road race in my opinion especially for one that runs along the ocean so much. Once again great job on your race!

King of PhotoShop

You're ready Bob, and as an added bonus, you got the clothing colors right, even down to the shades. Well done. Great workout for you. Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I think you've got the right idea - running out there amongst all those wimmen!! Congrats on your win and also a fine workout after the race!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats on a tough day of racing and training! I think we were both reading from the same playbook yesterday (5k and long run) :-)
                -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                also on Twitter
                  You got "skirted" in your 5K! Love it. (I am always amazed how fast those top women can run) But what a great training run after that 5K... dead on target.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker

Holey moley, Bob - what a day! Looks like you read the field exactly right in the 5K and pulled off a terrific race on a long course. You did get "skirted" but that just gave you somebody to chase (or try to chase) for a while. You did a great job on the half course too, with amazingly consistent splits from start to finish. The fact that you didn't fade at the end is the real story of your fitness and readiness. Well done!! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SteveP

Man you're quick!!! Is this one RR or two?? I'm confused??? Pictures of the wimmen runners would be helpful.

SteveP

Man you're quick!!! Is this one RR or two?? I'm confused??? Pictures of the wimmen runners would be helpful.
                        There were officially two separate races. I "raced" the 5K and then after a short recovery I ran the Half Marathon course as a marathon paced training run. Hopefully I'll locate some photos of the half marathon race later, if I do I'll post them for all to enjoy! Big grin
                          You had a good day, maine. Your 5K was impressive being 4th OA and 1st master. The follow up half as a training run was awful good also. Congratulations. TomS
                            Nice report Maine. That sounded like a fun alternative to a routine training run. Good work!
                            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              Way to go Mainerunnah! You are nailing those paces and I am so happy for you. It's a great confidence boost isn't it? You are so ready! Karin

Marathon Maniac #957

Jeesh - I hate to get passed up by people who started 30 minutes after I did in a race.... Big grin Excellent running, fast guy!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."