Masters Running

RR - Tom King 1/2 marathon (Read 297 times)

This is long... I arrived for The Tom King ½ Marathon and 5K in Nashville the day before and was pleased w/ how easy the check in was. Plus my motel was right across from the stadium and even though rain was in the forecast, the nice hat I got from the Dole booth would help w/ that. I’ve never run in the rain, not even in any practice runs. I carefully watched the weather and laid out several possible outfits. They had an all you can eat pasta dinner back at the stadium and it was there that I met an “elite” runner who advised me to wear shorts and a thin tech top should it rain. Jeff Galloway was the guest speaker! His message was to begin the walk/run early in the race, so you can recoup your fatique and finish strong. I left ready and motivated, but decided to do what I’ve been training for, which is to run the entire way. Awake at 6 am and it is already raining. DD is running the 5K (at 7 AM) w/ her law firm so I get up and put on tights and a jacket and a poncho and try to go find her. No luck, but manage to get my shoes wet as it is pouring. Didn’t think to bring an extra pair of shoes. Sad Temp feels like 45, but was actually 50. Race back to motel to change into shorts and tech shirt, as advised last night. I pop on my new hat and hurry back to stadium just in time to see DD on jumbotron as she finishes. She is freezing and miserable and advises me to NOT do the ½. My race is getting ready and most of the runners are out there standing in the very cold rain, thunder, occasional lightning and generally uncomfortable conditions. Many are covered up in plastic or garbage bage. I reluctantly give up my shelter and venture out at the end of the pack just as the gun goes off. I wave to DH who is sitting nice and warm and dry in my car in the parking lot and resign myself to a couple of hours of pure wetness. Wink I don’t have a garmin but as much as I can remember, my first five miles were a pretty consistent 9:50 or so pace. I noticed that many runners were wearing earbuds, but in an effort to prove something to myself, I did not wear my Ipod. I did miss it, especially after mile 8, but I just kept singing “Eye of the tiger” over and over in my head. I was very glad that I took the advice of elite runner and chose to wear as little as possible as I can’t imagine having any EXTRA wet clothing on my body. I am exceedingly grateful for the hat. The course was pretty flat and, had it been a nice day, would have been scenic. I just kept trudging along in the sloppy conditions and was so thankful for the orange Dole hat that kept most of my head warm and somewhat dry. I managed to chat w/ a few folks as they passed me (often) or I passed them (seldom). I was breathing well and felt really good, and decided that rain wasn’t such a crisis. At mile 6.5 there was a turn around and we had to run back. By now the greenway was partially flooded and it was difficult to avoid the water. My feet must weigh 10 lbs each. Surprised I am now adding a minute to each mile, but decide if I can make 11 miles in under 2 hours, I will be ok. I have given names to certain runners, such as water bottle lady (who had FOUR water bottles strapped to her waist, along w/ a sweater??). Confused Sadly, she finished several minutes ahead of me. NoThen there was Mr. Clop Clop who was like a bad driver; kept passing me and dropping back right in front so that I had to pass him back. He weighed less than me, yet his feet resembled Clydesdales. Finally, there was the Garbage Bag couple who swished with me for miles 11 & 12. I am really missing my tunes!!! I arrived at mile 11 at 1:57, but then the rain stopped and now the wind began and the temp felt as though it dropped 20 degrees. My hands, feet, and entire legs are numb. 2 more miles. I can do this. I see the Jumbotron in the stadium and begin to have hope. One more lap around the Titans stadium, down into the garage, and out onto the field. I hear “Go Helen!” from my precious son- in- law- to- be and so decide to give it my all and pass the guy in front of me and I even managed a smile for the picture. I forgot to look at myself on the jumbotron, but I got my medal from a Titan's cheerleader. Final time was 2:22, which was the same as my last ½ 2 years ago. No PR but a feeling of accomplishment. Big grin I am relieved, drenched, cold, and tired, but go back to the motel and change and come back for the great breakfast and am surprised to find that I got 2nd in my AG! Then I realize that there were only TWO of us foolish enough to brave the weather, but I got to get my nice mug from that handsome Jeff Galloway! What did I learn? I CAN run a race w/out my Ipod, albeit difficult, I CAN carry on a conversation since I’m not zoned out on my tunes, and I CAN run in the rain! I am glad I did this race and will do it again.
      Yes you can, and you did!! Very nice race and very nice RR. I think I got wet just from reading it Big grin Seeing your daughter on the Jumbo must have made you feel proud. It's great to share the running experience with loved ones. Hats are great. I never run without one. The are priceless when it's raining. And hearing your SIL to be cheering, what great motivation and feeling is that!! You ran a great race in less than IRC (I just learned this acronym and have been waiting for the chance to use it Smile) Congratulations fussy!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      Henrun

Good report and congratulations on a good race in less than IRC (I like that!). Having started running in the 'dark ages' way back I don't have any problem running without my I Pod and, lately, I've run without it at times in training just to give my ears a rest (and to be able to improve my hearing without it being blasted). I've also raced in rain and, although I try to avoid it in training, I find that I'm OK once I get started. Hope you're keeping warm and dry today.
        seemomgo

Hooray for you! Way to tough it out. I love the advice about the shorts and tech shirt. Makes good sense! The last half I ran was in a downpour of snow and rain mix and all my heavy clothes did indeed weigh me down. How did you fare with wet shoes the whole way? Great report and great accomplishments! No ipod, singing and talking, braving the weather - you did great!
            Fabulous Helen! Your report is great and at many points I just laughed out loud. I swear I know Mr. Clop Clop...he must run in races here too! Was Mr. "I am about to have baby with my Lamaze breathing" there as well? That's who usually tries to outkick me Big grin. You ran a great race and kept yourself going so well even in wind, rain and less than PR conditions. Congratulations! Be proud of all the miles in this race and strut proudly now after you relax a bit. High five CNY
              Thanks evryday - I appreciate your encouragement. It was a special day. Henrun, I noticed that your 1/2 time is not far off from mine! Way to go! C-mom, I got over the wet shoes almost immediately as, what was I gonna do? The worst part was walkng around in them before the race started. Next time, I'll bring a 2nd pair. CNY, your post a while back about running in the rain kept me going through this. Yeah, Mr. Lamaze was there too, but I didn't want to be TOTALLY negative!
                Nice race in less than ideal conditions, fussy. It's neat that you had family there to support you and that you could return the favor for your daughter. To match your time from two years ago when the conditions were better shows you've improved. Congrats on a fine race and AG award from Jeff Galloway. TomS
                  That was really fun to read! I am so glad you got over your iPOD-ophilia and your rain-phobia. I love running in the rain, makes it seem like a bigger challenge and accomplishment. The worst part is getting blisters from wet socks. I don't know what Galloway looks like, but that is way cool with the AG award. It's funny how you came up with names for the people you kept seeing around you on the course. I do that too! Last weekend I had chipmunk runner (hands held high up and curled in front) and a new one I've never seen - elliptical runner - he kept reaching forward with his arms and pulling backwards, like he was still on the elliptical! Clop clop is ubiquitous, as is heavy-breather. You received good advice about dressing. I think as long as your head and hands are warm, the rest will follow suit.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on a good race! And second out of two is still second! Winning a mug is cool - much more useful than a medal. In my first 5K I came in 2nd in my AG, and won a beer glass. DH said, hey cool! You won me a beer glass! Big grin How did your daughter and her lawyer team do in the 5K? Nice that you could do this as a family event.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Great Job Helen not your fault all the losers stayed home. I'm glad Eye of the Tiger helped you thru it after all it is the thrill of the fight & rising up to the challenge Big grin You did it in tough conditions. You earned that medal and the mug Congratulations! Cool Smile Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

wooooohooooo!!! nice job Helen!! i love the nicknames - i was running today near someone whose footsteps made me chant 1-2-3 1-2-3........so funny!! hope you're enjoying your post-race recovery!!

denise

Excellent RR Helen! I love reading about rainy races. I knew you could do it without the iPod Smile. Hope to meet you again someday!
                          btb1490

A lot of good stuff here, fussy! Every race teaches us something valuable. I want to add that, even though you may not realize it, you learned that your best races are not always PR's. Sometimes the best ones are the ones that overcome things you never thought you could do. Well done, I'm looking forward to hearing about your next one.
                              Slogging it out in that weather is very impressive! Congratulations on just getting through this one.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

huskydon

Great job! Certainly you can't be a real fussy runner if you can slog your way through 13+ miles of the stuff? You showed a lot of grit and determinations and even left your tunes at home. We are all proud of you. And 2nd in your AG, isn't that great?! You really earned it. Now, dry off and look forward to better weather next time out. huskydon