Masters Running

My second race ever (Read 236 times)

lswife

Last summer I ran a mile race in a small local festival and came in last. No problem - my goal was only to finish since I had just begun running in February 07, was 59, and "round." I kept running (really, just jogging as I'm very slow) through the summer and fall, off and on through the winter, more off than on this spring, but since my family had signed me up for the Indy mini-marathon's 5K, I went ahead and "ran." My goal was to finish standing up. Fun, fun, fun! I finished in the top fourth in my age group (female, 60-64), even by walking most of the way and slow jogging here and there. Weather was perfect, volunteers and spectators very encouraging, and the feeling of accomplishment I had afterwards was too great for words. My husband very patiently listened to multiple recitations of my stories and race descriptions all weekend. Yesterday we went to a family party where I met a nephew and niece who both ran the mini. There we stood, one 60-year-old (me) and two thirty-year-olds, all sharing our race stories. I have never ever been an athlete, and here I was, being looked at with awe by the non-running-family-members. But as I've told everyone, if I can get off the couch, so can they. And almost anyone can walk-and-talk for the 45 minutes it could take for a 5K. I lurk on many threads, so probably the race story you wrote about encouraged me. And, yes, I'm definitely doing the Indy 5K again, other local races, and will run more consistently this time.
    wildchild

Carolyn

Congratulations! I also ran a 5K yesterday, and talked my family's ears off about it. But the cool thing about folks on this forum is, they never get tired of hearing and talking about running! So feel free to stop lurking and post more regularly - your family will thank you! Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

dg.

Roberta, how great! You've come a long way, & climbed over many obstacles. Very cool about the time with your family. Now your race story encourages me, just like the ones you read encouraged you. Congratulations.

I love to run!

Congratulations on a great accomplishment. Cool Believe me, it never gets old talking about your last race. Tongue In fact, I won't know what I'll talk about when I can't race anymore.... Well done and GREAT FOR YOU Wink
          One More Mile
          evanflein

This is great: "But as I've told everyone, if I can get off the couch, so can they. And almost anyone can walk-and-talk for the 45 minutes it could take for a 5K." Wow, you said it well. Enough with the excuses, people...! Congratulations on taking charge of your life like this. I love it. And your family will get used to it and deal with it. I'll bet they're really proud of you... I know my DH brags up my runs way more than I do now... it's pretty funny actually.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job! I tell people that, too. If the slowest kid out of 200 kids in 8th grade can run 10 miles, ANYONE can, lol! It cracks me up now that people will come up to me and tell me the reasons they CAN'T run! It's not like I asked or anything... Good luck with your future races! Teresa

King of PhotoShop

Every day, when you go out to run, remember that you are doing something for your health and sense of well-being that many people are not doing. You are a runner, and every bit as much in the fraternity and sorority of the other runners here. I hope you continue to grow in this and stay motivated, and above all, keep posting about your running and after today, never put quote marks around words that describe your running. You are one of us. Spareribs
                  ...''Finish Standing Up''.......I love it..... ============== we had a friend just do a Half Marathon (she had never run over 10-K prior to the race) took her 3-hours...... I was glad she wasn't hurt, and afraid she might be Bummed Out, so I called her ''3-hours is a long time to run'' I said ''AND 16 minutes'' she told me, ''How Cool is THAT??'' she wasn't bummed, loved every minute of it, and could care less how long it took her...... ''I saw your Race Picture'' I said ''You were really Grinning'' ''Well, I saved a little bit for the Finish'' she said...... how cool is THAT??.. ....so remember, you don't have to Be An Athlete, You just Have to LOVE IT...... nice racing.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Roberta - congrats on your race and thanks for the RR. I'm 47, still too "round," and still often feel I'm too slow to justify calling myself a runner. But we are, aren't we? Smile I'm so glad you had such a fun time at your race and even more fun bragging to your family about it. Wink Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Way to go athlete! Congratulations...and you can move from past tense to a new present and great future. This is a great report and I love the new strength you have found. Keep sharing all this with us, since we can't ever get enough of this here. Marvelous! CNYrunner
                      huskydon

Congratulations on a great race! And it is so cool that you can feel some love from your non running relatives. Your husband is a prince, too. Keep on running and keep on writing! You have a great story to tell. We love race reports here!! huskydon
                        nowor

Congratulations on a great race and enjoying it! I'm another slow old runner and my runs are often the highlights of my week! Aren't we lucky!...and you are setting a wonderful example for many folks, including your great family! Looking forward to your next post and RR!
                          HermosaBoy

Started -- finished -- enjoyed every step between. It don't get much better!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

SteveP

Your Race Report is "fun fun fun"!!! Thanks for posting it

SteveP

Gee........talk about motivating !!!! Your story motivates the daylights out of us as runners. That really is why this forum is SO powerful. Everyone of us have a story with a running career that is special and vital to who we are. Please keep posting so that we can learn from your experiences and also maybe help you along the way. Joey
                                Vista