Masters Running

Thursday 2.19.15 (Read 32 times)

Can it really be 1:30PM EST and no daily thread yet?

Glad to see you back here, Carolyn, but only after you've showered!  Update us on the details when you get a chance. Nice photos on Facebook, though, in case anyone here wants to check them out.

I could try to take credit for MMTD today, but that's because I ran zero miles and it was -5F outside, so it would be cheating. Or I could say I swam MYTD since I did 1000 yds in the pool this morning, but again I'd be cheating since I was comfortably inside at the time. So I'll just say that I swam a bit and otherwise slacked off.

So is everyone else slacking off today too?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TammyinGP

I noticed that a couple hrs ago, but i don't have much to start off a daily thread with. . .

Tammy

And Aamos and I apparently hit the Post button simultaneously...

Marathon Maniac #957

I could try to take credit for MMTD today, but that's because I ran zero miles and it was -5F outside, so it would be cheating. 

I finally got through to the IRS and found that the guy who filed under my DH's SS# did so as a single adult, and got more than $6100 as a tax refund, direct-deposited to a bank account last Friday.  Jerk.  I'm busy filing Identity Theft Affidavits with the state and federal agencies, and apparently I am also supposed to file a police report with our local police, although I doubt this had anything to do with anyone local.  My DH is blaming it on Anthem, but really, there are so many ways these days that people can get your information I don't think you can pinpoint it.  Oh well.  Apparently we may get our tax return around the end of October.  Seriously.  But I guess that's okay.  It was going to DD's orthodontist anyway.  

(-4) this morning and the schools are closed, even though the roads are clear.  Since tonight is supposed to be (-8), they will probably call off school tomorrow.  At that point I think we are done with the snow day quota and then they have to start adding days on at the end of the year.  Good thing it is almost March.....

5 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

Holly, sorry you have to go through all this - at least they found the culprit.

No run for us either. However, we went for a couple of miles of snowshoeing oin our nearby arboretum. Beautiful setting and the temp was in the high 20's with little wind. We're supposed to get those frigid temps tomorrow and ice and rain on Saturday-another stormy weekend. Doubt if there'll be any outdoor running for a few days (glad I got in 4 yesterday ).

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi everyone, how are you?  No excuses - just haven't been on line.

I see that Holly is having tax troubles because of identity theft.  Yuck.  Hope it all gets cleared up quickly.

We just got a nice voicemail:

----- Forwarded Message -----

To:

Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 1:52:34 PM

Subject: You have a new Readable Voice Mail from (732) 404-2327

You have a new Voicemail message from (732) 404-2327 for phone number .

37 seconds

"Hello we have been trying to reach you. This call is officially a final notice from IRS Internal Revenue Service is the reason of this call is to inform you that the IRS is filing a lawsuit against you to get more information about this case file. Please call immediately on our department number 202-684-3436. I repeat 202-684-3436. Thank you."

Be careful out there people - scams everywhere.

I ran 5 miles yesterday!  2x2 miles @ 7:30 pace.  Unfortunately, that was all the time I had in the day for any exercise.  Plus I was really sucking wind - and just 8 weeks to go before Boston.  Chauffeur to the kids is the top priority.  That and getting my teeth cleaned this morning.  Ah, dental talk.  Again, much easier to deal with than Holly's dental issues.  Holly is such an inspiration.  I would be complaining endlessly if half that sh*t happened to me.  Holly just shrugs it off and wonders when she can run again.  Awesome.

Holly S. the very limited downside to this is that your various problems will eventually all resolve themselves.  In the meantime, since you are not applying for credit, it should not cause too many headaches.  Lots of paperwork, time consuming and annoying, but that should about do it.  As to what happened, I sort of speculated that was it with Mariposai yesterday.  It is a common crime these days.  Once the crook has the cash, the crook disappears and that generally is that.

wildchild a foot of snow!  Slackers! 

rochrunner I like your attitude!  Count that as a MMTD day!!!  Yahoo!

henrun high 20s!  High 20s!! Where are you?  I need to find somewhere warm like that!

PBJ I got one of those the other day on my voice mail machine instead of as a text.  Hard to believe people call back.

I had thought to go outside to run this afternoon.  But it never hit 20 and is already on its way back to to tonight's low of about 4.  Add wind gusts of about 25 mph and I am going to use the TM later on.    I need a new sport.  I know!  Mouse catching!  Seems I am pretty good at it.  We have live traps for the litter critters.  Yesterday one got a free trip to a wooded area where they grow Christmas trees.  Today its friend got a trip to the same place.  The traps will stay out until all of the friends stop needing rides.    My DW feels bad about tossing them out into the cold because they are cute.  (Even I have to admit they are cute!)  But apparently they are not so cute or worth so much sorrow that my DW would prefer to keep them as our winter guests!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

In case someone is going to be in Seattle on Sunday, March 15, be sure to arrive early enough, even late Saturday night if possible, possibly to join enke, divechief and others, maybe francesca, dove and even soundrunner too if it`s the right person, in our annual StPatsDash reunion run.  Hope it works out.

Holly, I had a tooth that wouldn*t let me run once so don*t even try.

However, as mentioned, no need to run to train for marathon.

It probably won`t be fast but maybe just try to moderate your pace the couple of minutes slower enough needed to run a no-training marathon. In this regard, just doing any sustained physical activity, e.g. regular walking, for five-plus hours you might need without any training is okay too. Maybe even add some stair work like I think some of your races have had. Speaking of stairs, I took my tallywacker along to an expo-conference center on the outskirts of Osaka yesterday and, eschewing the ubiquitous escalators for four train changes, walked up so many flights of 40-50 stairs that just about anyone living here is probably in marathon shape.

ps - since you have a TM for that can probaby be set for a walking pace, maybe check with erika who`s probably done it too but marathon runner Christine Clark trained for the Sydney Olympics on a treadmill in Anchorage.  http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/content/content.jsp?contentId=300125

pps aamos - if anyone was moving to Washington state for the running club, the Yakima Hardcore Runners would be one of the best.  In addition to the Yakima River Canyon Marathon, they have lots of fun local events, hardcore or not.  Hurry up and come visit her.

ppps posie - hope you can get your friend into some running with you too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Former runner here.  Non-runner now.  My running dis-appeared when the cold weather appeared.  I have been walking my dog all over creation though - regardless the temps (-10°F at 8 AM this morning.)

I stopped by and stepped out of lurkdom to ask Fatozzig what island she'll be on in Hawaii and when?

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

PBJ & berger1 sightings.   The cold is bringing people out of the woodwork.

I ran 5.5 on the treadmill at the gym at lunch.  Supposed to be -21° tomorrow morning.  Should be interesting.

I've had Lifelock for a few years.  I don't think it would stop someone doing a false tax return with my social security number but I think they would help me get it straightened out.  My brother-in-law who helps people wiped out by identity theft scared me into getting Lifelock.

I was going to congratulate Fatozzig on her assignment of helping people across the river in the Western States race, but then she mentioned going to Hawaii for 9 days and it made me bitter.

wild, it sounds like a great three week get away.  mari, I hope your friend's surgery went well.  It's good to  hear from PBJ and breger.

This morning, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of -10° and there was some wind.  It was 3 miles on the TM at an average pace of 10:45.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

New skirt in town

Roch, did you walk from your car to the pool? Then that counts for MMTD!!

Holly, so sorry to hear about the tax fraud.  It's so scary how easily this can happen...and you are right, who can say if it was Anthem or some other source??

8.2 miles this morning on the treadmill, with 3 at tempo pace.  Pretty slow, overall, though, because I'm still getting used to this running "thing" again, transitioning away from the elliptical.

So sad to read about Oliver Sacks today.  Melanoma sucks.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Holly, you seem to be handing this a lot better than I would. We heard about the tax fraud going on and the advice to "file early" to help avoid it, so I ended up rushing a bit to get my DS's return done and e-filed. Within hours I discovered that I'd use a wrong 1099 form, so I've set a new PR for early filing of an amended return! Unfortunately the change makes his refund smaller, but I told him I'd write the check for the difference to send in with the amended return since it was my fault.

Great to see breger back in here -- it's been a long time. See you in Charlevoix, Byll!

Marathon Maniac #957

I took my tallywacker along to an expo-conference center on the outskirts of Osaka yesterday

Don't you take it with you everywhere?

The "no running" admonition is about "no bouncing or jarring" activities.  Something about the bone graft material that is injected under my sinus cavities not being made to "pack down" or some such. That's why the stationary bike would be fine, after the first few days, when I expect I will be doing a lot of lying around and catching up on my DVRed shows.  The pace bunny is going to get WAY ahead of me, darn it.

PBJ - Hiyah!  Awesome to see you again!  I'll never forget how you ran with me the last few miles of Boston when I was having cramping issues.  YOU are the inspiration!

Henry - alas, no, they didn't catch him, only read me information about the scam artist who filed.  Apparently the online bank the deposit was made was used by some people who did some terrorist thing or other in Dubai a few years ago.  For all I know, that money got scammed to fund a terrorist group.  Gosh, I hope not, though.

Twocat - I sort of think this is all they will do as well, but I had already planned to freeze our credit, given all the publicity about hacking scandals and the fact that we rarely need to apply for something new anyway.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Yikes, Holly!  Tax scam and dental implants - what a way to celebrate turning 50 this year!  Hey, I still want to run a 50k with you this year to celebrate, okay?  Maybe one of your local Ohio races, or you can come to CO and stay with me?

Nice to see breeger and PBJ today!  Hiya!

Leslie, that's very cool that you're volunteering at the river crossing at Western States!  And have a most excellent trip to Hawaii with Kate and Karen!

I haven't done my taxes yet - guess I should get started.

6.3 miles today in screw shoes - I'm back to running on plowed snow, but it was a pretty day, 40 degrees and sunny.  I've signed up for a 50k fat ass run this Saturday, and the forecast is for snow all day.  JTWILI!  I haven't run further than 14 miles since my last 50k in December, so I may cut Saturday's run short - it's an out and back, so I can turn around whenever I want.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.