Masters Running

Monday, April 7 Master-Boomer Runs (Read 632 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! I don’t see anyone here yet, so I guess I’ll start. No run today – light x-training instead: push-ups, front raises, incline dumbbell press, superman lifts, and a 10-minute ab/core video (how do they squeeze so much pain in such a short amount of time?) Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

superman lifts,
      You know that Steve is gonna want equal time. Big grin
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Good morning Holly - how's your toe? Interval day for me. A mile warmup at 9:31 followed by 30 minutes with alternating 8:00 for work and 9:31 rest. Instead of running a cool down mile, I walked for 5 minutes. After running 3 days in a row, my legs had nothing left today. All of the people that were going to run the half marathon are bailing on me. Sad One woman has a stress fracture; the other 2 say they just don't have time to train. Looks like I'm in this by myself! Don't know who to cheer for tonight - Kansas or Memphis. Should be a great game, regardless. Hey Steve - good luck on your first day. Make sure you pack a nutritous lunch! Good Monday runs, everyone. Jeanne
          Good morning! Out at 6 AM for 8 easy paced miles with some strides---felt good and had eight hours of sleep last night. I didn’t wear a watch or an iPOD and tried to be really alert throughout the whole run. No zoning and no twinges. It was sunny and 36F and calm. The focus for the next two weeks is to just keep it going nice and steady and not fret too much. I used to cut way back on the mileage during the taper and that was too much for me. I am doing exactly what I did during the taper before Hartford ’07 and Boston 2001 and have re-read that log about 20 times now! Coach’s regular Sunday night call was all about visualizing the miles and letting the race come to me. Let the field go in the first miles and run in my own bubble---bringing it down after each 5k for a strong finish. Nice runs and great posts yesterday. High fives on all the longest runs ever---well earned smiles. Good showing WRFB and PDR and great rehearsal if it rains. I am still sending healing vibes to all those with injuries and pain----toes, toenails, feet, shins, abductors, calves…..I hope this week brings better news. Hang tough Jlynne---you are doing great. CNYrunner Boo Hoo! UConn’s out… Cry Missing Soundrunner….also Craneium….
            Good morning, all! Thanks for the kickoff, Holly! Where are the rest of the slackers - sleeping in?? CNY - I was sorry to see both UCONN and LSU lose - I wanted to see that matchup in the final game. Jeanne - what half are you training for? Jesse and I had another nice, 7 mile stroll on the Airline Trail Saturday morning. It looked like it was going to rain, so it kept everyone else indoors, and we had to trail to ourselves. Yesterday I did 17 miles on the trail (in shorts - yes!) followed by another 70 minute walk with Jesse. My feet are starting to adapt to all of the upright miles of late, thank goodness. I encountered a lone white chicken on the trail yesterday morning - very strange. 6 easy miles on the treadmill this morning. The weather for the rest of the week is looking promising - I'm hoping to get out on the road for some runs before the next storm system arrives. btb - I'm in ice cream stupor today - had something called "cow tracks" yesterday. Rich french vanilla swirled with peanut butter with chocolate chunks and peanut butter cups. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I was a slacker this weekend with no running at all. I played with cars, ate ice cream & chocolate all day Sunday. I almost got lazy this morning but guilt was gnawing at me and I got up to run. 10.05 miles of hills @ 9:00 pace .... and I felt really good after I finished Big grin Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Sue - The marathon/half marathon is the Green Bay Cellcom held on May 18. The cool thing about it is it starts at Lambeau Field (the stadium where the Packers play) and you actually get to run through the stadium right before the finish line. I've done it before, and it's growing nicely in the five years (I think) since they started it. I've got another ice cream to recommend. Last Saturday in our local paper there was a short "review" about a new Edy's ice cream called "take the cake." It's vanilla ice cream with bits of yellow cake and sprinkles. Those things together might sound disgusting, but it's delicious! Plus, it's one of their "lite" ice creams so it doesn't have all the fat/calories. Is this why we run like crazy people - so we can eat this stuff?! Jeanne
                  Yesterday was a busy day and I didn't have a chance to get on the computer so will try to catch up now. A big congrats to Steve on a new job and a raise before starting. Hopeful, nice progression run Sat. PDR and WRFB, nice Cherry Blossom race. btb, that was a tough, well fought, win for your girls. seemom, nice half and good job getting your friend through her race. dromedary, great scenery. Nice long runs for jlynne, PJH, wa5yom, biketm (distance PR), Aamos, breger (wet miles), CNY, Holly, dtoce (with speedwork), hopeful (distance PR - that marathon is in your future), Tall, Charley, hallar (distance PR), perch, evryday, enke, Evan, pfriese, jjj, and mariposai. Yesterday, I was up a 3:30 to head out and meet my daughter for a half in Dearborn, MI ( report to follow). After the race, I drove back home, cleaned up, and then we headed for Frankenmuth, MI to again meet with my daughter as well as my son and his fiance. We had a great dinner as an early celebration of the birthdays of my wife and daughter. After that, my son, his fiance, and I played a round of golf. The golf was not great but the company was. It was an enjoyable but long day. A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Big grin Big grin Double smile as I got mentioned twice in TSelbs post!! Resting today - although I feel pretty good and it was hard to resist running in this perfect spring weather we are finally having. (although snow is predicted this weekend!) Thank you for all the Kudos on my long run yesterday. I'm still pretty geeked . . . . I even made a hotel reservation for October . . . . step number one. Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Sigh wish I was running today. But discretion being the better part of valor and all that I figured day after running yesterday should be a day off. Oh well. Tomorrow I hope to make a MLR but we will have to see. SueT48 do you mean Moose Tracks? Anyway I have seen the same thing you describe at some ice cream parlors here in CT and RI with that name. Boy is it good! Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg.

good morning Smile funny, evryday! Mary, (sorry, I forget)... where is your October target? Tselbs, how nice. I was wondering what you'd decided to do. I did think about heading over there to spectate, but couldn't resist working outside in the beautiful day. looking forward to the report. Sue, yum. Peter, yum.. no more chocolate!!! I went to the gym this morning for the first time in a couple of months! i've been hesitating because of a several reasons... but it was great. they finally (I'd given up) got better ellipticals, and Cybex arc trainers, my very favorite. Big grin I just did about 47 minutes because the resistance wouldn't adjust down & I'm still being careful, but it felt good. They also have aqua joggers now. So I'm very enthused. out of time, have a great day everybody. oops. eta, happy first day of work Stevep!!! do you have a batman lunch box?
                        anachrotech

Another carpy run. I slacked off last week - shouldn't have- because my joints bothered me. I should have just tried to give it a go. sigh 3 miles in 32:55 Good runs all.
                            well, this weekend made me realize i am not a happy injured person at all - i worked 3 12 hour night shifts in a row and i am miserable...........despite 3 adjustments, ice, muscle stim, and motrin i still have a royal pain in the butt after doing some reading from here i feel like it's the piriformis that's involved more than SI joint inflammation..........hard to know for sure........ one of the nurses i work with does sports massage and she's leaning towards that too - was going to try and work on me but we were on the busy side so i'm trying to arrange for a sports massage today...........dg - how long did your injury go on for? wondering what might be in store for me........read up on those proprio exercises and stretches but with working all weekend i haven't done much else - i am so not happy!! but...........all you Boston bound marathoners are looking great!! i can't wait to be part of marathon monday and to meeting some of you!! keep working hard and stay healthy!!

denise

8 miles with the hills at the end in a light PNW drizzle...7:59 pace I miss Sounder too,she must be busy...
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! Caramel Caribou was the ice cream I had last night... but I'm giving it up for the 2 weeks of taper.. Rest day, just a 2 mile walk with Tory. Saw a family of 7 deer standing in one yard. Have great runs, rests or X-training Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova