Masters Running

Sunday's too short of a weekend daily. (Read 32 times)

SteveP

Great racing, Tramps and Stumpy!

I had been dithering around about renting that smaller cottage I found for the Charlevoix Marathon, and when I decided to bite the bullet yesterday, it had already been rented.  Now when I look it seems that all the hotels within 15 miles are booked up for those dates.  Yikes!

I know some builders in the area. Some of them also remodel and do property management. I'll see if I can find info Monday.

Tag, Marley is a good dog. Not every other dog that likes your stuff is mean to you.

SteveP

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

Yesterday's daily was fun to read. YAY Tramps and Stumpy!!!  Hope you are not too stiff today.  Celebrations planned, I hope??

Wow, C-R, congrats on breaking 20!  I'm trying to get back into 20 after doing so this spring.  And you got in way under 20; shazam!

deez and Erika, I'm impressed that you have such swift training runs.  I am just lazy or something, as I just don't hit race pace unless it's really a race (or on speedwork night w/ Speedsters).  Great runs, ladies!

sayhey, on meeting Ribs--careful if you do--he left me standing in a cold rain in Dallas waiting for him.

Tag, Marley may be a good dog, but does seem to be high maintenance.  And it IS hard for a dog to go so long w/out ice cream.  Have you tried frozen yogurt?

Holly, you can share my room with me.  DH hasn't committed and I think he's weighing the fun of a weekend home alone!

Yesterday did 16 at about 9:15 pace and today 13 at 9:00.   Last week's marathon was at just under 8:00 but only got to a few sub 8:30s miles this weekend.  Can't imagine a whole run at 8:10!  Probably ran too much, but it's finally running weather--I think it's cold everywhere but here, where it's 50-60s in the am.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

C-R

Morning all.

That Tag sure is a good writer.

Tet - my dad was a track guy. Short stuff. Held his school 100 record for 25 years. So perhaps some of those short twitch fibers were handed along.

Amy - running those distances and paces a week after a marathon is awesome. Wow.

Got a nice easy 7 today just to move the legs. Chores await and hopefully the Colts can win one against the Pats.

Happy Sunday everyone.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mrrun

we ran on the Charles this morning - at about twice the pace that CR and Aamos run at - with Henrun running straight and I ran across bridges so we met up several times.  32 sunny with no wind, so comfortable

sang happy birthday at 7 am to GD1 who turned 8 - we knew she was up because of a Facebook picture.

enjoy the rest of the day -

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve and Amy - I haven't given up yet....homeaway.com has more rentals available, and I sent out two emails today inquiring on possibilities.  I am just worried that they will insist on a full week, and I don't have that available.  We will see.

I ran 8.5 miles outside in 30 degrees, then hopped on the TM for 4.6 more miles so I could watch the end of my DVR'd movie (The Abyss).

13.1 miles total.

DH bought tickets to a wine-tasting event for this evening.  The event is only held once a year and they offer (in addition to an array of food) an opportunity to taste wines the normally sell for $100-$200/bottle.  Truthfully, I really didn't want to go, and told him so at least 10 times.  The tickets are pricy ($60 each and that was a $15 discount), I have to work tomorrow, and I am not nearly the wine connoisseur that my DH is, so I think it may be wasted on me.  I offered to be the designated driver for DH and our friends who are going, as I did last year, and figured I would curl up at home with a book until time to pick them up.  However, DH begged, cajoled, and finally bought the tickets anyway, so I guess I will go and try to be very careful about my intake. These kind of events can be hazardous to your health.  More water, please!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

It was winejunkie (whom I met at Hood to Coast) who advised me to drink a glass of water in between alcoholic beverages, so add him to my list.  Enjoy the tasting Holly.

And yes, I have not only met Tramps, but Tribee too, and of course Stumpy.  And yes Tet, I have not yet met Enke or Francesca.

Kind of tweaked my left hip, right at the hip bone, the attached tendon is a bit sore and tender from yesterday's 5-miler, so just to be safe, I walked 8 miles at about 16 minute pace. It's hard to concentrate on pace when walking, unlike running. But I got a good workout and in the 7th mile I could fee the tiredness in my legs.  The Saint ran with one of my occasional RP's and they got in 12 on a cold, rainy morning at the Lake.  Spareribs

evanflein

Loved the Tag and Marley adventure. Poor Marley... she just can't win.

Holly, enjoy the wine tasting! You might find something you really like. At those prices, think of it as an adventure. Those are probably wines you're not likely to buy anytime soon, so this is a good opportunity!

Aamos, I seem to have one gear. I don't think about pace much, I just run. And, well, my mile race pace should be a lot faster than my marathon pace, but it really isn't. You do so well at keeping your training paces just that, I'm envious! Part of my problem, IMO, is I'm always trying to squeeze in as many miles as I can into a limited time frame so I always feel rushed, even if I'm not really thinking that way. It's dumb, I know. Oh well, it's just the way I roll.

As for the Charlevoix Marathon and housing... I haven't committed. DH is supportive and wants me to do it, but I'm feeling hesitant because of the total cost. We can look at mileage tickets, but between the planes, car rental (we'd want our own most likely), housing, entry fee, etc, etc... I'm feeling cheap I guess. And the fact that this is a Saturday race, and I have a series race here (mile on the track) on Thursday night that I don't want to miss. So... I don't know. And yes, I realize the more I wait, the more I limit my options. Grrr.

Take care of that hip, Ribs! Hope it's not bursitis.

Another in this incredible string of beautiful clear sunny days. It's below zero (barely... -1° ) in town right now, and about 16° here. I only "need" 5 miles to get my 40 minimum for the week, but I'll probably run more than that. No plan, so we'll see what happens (both distance and pace!).

SteveP

6 years ago, there was a Class B bigfoot sighting a mile away from the Charlevoix race course. A week before the race. You may want to keep that in mind when checking for rooms. I've yet to read the specifics, however, I believe a Class A sighting usually involves "We was sittin by the fire and just finished the last beer when a big ol' bigfoot wandered right on by!". A Class B includes, "We passed out by the campfire and we came too, the rests of the beers was all gone and empties was layin' round all over. BillyRayBob said it wasn't him this time". No doubt a Class C sighting goes, "We just finished all the 'shrooms and a bigfoot came fight out of the woods and started trippin' us out man. It blew a rainbow right out of it's butt and turned into a unicorn and flew away"

SteveP

Mike E

MM #5615

It blew a rainbow right out of it's butt and turned into a unicorn and flew away"

Yep--that's the one I've seen.

...we actually saw a UFO about 2-AM off by FortCampbell...........but it was probably a ClassB...

pretty cool though

==========

...but I digress........

30's here, rain turning to sleet

and

approximately 10-feet into the ride, the chain came off my bicycle.

thus coated in motor oil or whatever the hell they use on bicycles.........I pressed on/////

.....60-min bike ride 7-ip and 7-down

good running guys.........watch them 'schrooms........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

SteveP

Yay! A Tom White sighting.

Since I moved to the area, there have been several Class A and Class B bigfoot sightings on the trails the mutt and I run along. Skerry. I can hear it now, "Live on Action News at 6! Really old bigfoot and itis dog (Both wearing Batman shirts) seen waddling through Wexford County. Entire community in terror. Officials advise residents to stay out of the bars and stay in side"

DW put the winter tires on her car a day too late. In a parking lot, slide into a parking curb. Broke the passenger's side front transaxle. No one has been hurt. After using bad words at DW's car, cleaning the driveway and putting fencing up around the fruit trees, I didn't feel like changing into running gear. Tag and I put in 4 miles on the local roads. Very slickery. The dog wasn't thrilled by the leash. He said it's just another way for the man to wear a dog down.

SteveP

deez and Erika, I'm impressed that you have such swift training runs.  I am just lazy or something, as I just don't hit race pace unless it's really a race (or on speedwork night w/ Speedsters).  Great runs, ladies!

grins,

A

Thanks Aamos - maybe it's just that your race pace is so much faster than mine to start off and your weekly mileage is way higher than mine!  My training plan this go around had me practicing a lot of long run pace alternating with race pace so I would get comfortable at race pace.  I tend to start off too fast for my pace and then end up with horrible leg cramps by mile 17-18 ---- really hoping to change that trend next Sunday!!  I'm already starting to get pre-marathon jitters/taper madness, wishing I did more cross-training and strength training, but I just keep telling myself to STOP, BREATHE and trust the training.

Weekend's do seem to end too quickly don't they?!  I have the whole week off so no complaining from this corner!

Love the Tag and Marley adventures!!

Hope Holly is enjoying the wine testing - nice picture posted on FB!

Tomorrow am run planned then 90 minute deep tissue massage to work out the kinks!!

Happy Sunday night all!!

denise

Holly S. I suspect that if you ever see this note it will be long after your wine tasting.  Given the price of the bottles and I assume the good taste of the sponsors of this event the wine should be very, very good.  I really hope you enjoy it.

Nobody asked for my advice on how to survive a tasting event with lots of alcohol but never shy to voice a view on such things here goes.  I go to a whiskey show every year with some friends and while we do not emerge sober we do emerge standing and in perfectly good shape.  How?  Several tricks.  Water is not one of them.  Food however is.  Bread and the like will absorb some of the alcohol and cause it to enter your system a lot more slowly.  Another thing is pace.  You can metabolize about 1 drink per hour.  Keep your tastes to tastes.  Also, be picky!  Very picky!  Very, very picky!  If the wine drink is not absolutely fabulous after two sips dump it!  At the whiskey show my friends and I are ruthless.  Anything we do not absolutely love goes in the bucket.  There are too many great whiskey's to get fall on the fall drunk because we over imbibed in less stellar creations.  Same with a wine tasting.  It does not matter how expensive the bottle is.  Do you like it?  No?  Into the bucket!

As to running, per my promise still off the roads.  Today was my second day on the elliptical.  I am not sure how much longer this no running gig will last.  I feel really good.  Nothing is sore.  So maybe Tuesday I will try going out a few miles.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

7.2 miles of hills for me. Poor air quality in town and colder than expected temps down there made me decide to stop wimping out and run some hills! Oh boy am I out of hill shape... took more rest breaks than I care to admit. But you know, if I'd figure out how to slow down...! But then again, I was trying to get my run done in an hour before we had to go do something else. There's always the "fit it in" factor, right?

MTA: Twocat has very good advice. So many people just drink up whatever is poured for them. Nope, gotta be picky. You're there to find the gems and stars, don't waste your time (or your liver) on the plonk!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

After two more trips to the hardware store and a very lucky run-in with a professional plumber who showed me exactly what I needed--I got my sink drain repaired.   DW thinks I'm a genius.

6 miles on the treadmill in 49:23.

Okay--I gotta get to bed--did you all know its Monday, tomorrow?  See ya!