Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 2.25.14 (Read 42 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

A belated CONGRATS! to Ribs, Opie, CNY, Leslie, Aamos and Wildchild on some great racing over the weekend. I haven't done the math, but you six folks totaled up some impressive racing mileage in one weekend!

Opie, I agree with Tammy that lowering the bar so your students will 'earn' better grades is rarely (if ever) the right answer.

Ribs referenced Holly's heel problem as a "seductive" pain. I don't know that I've ever felt a seductive pain - although sometimes, working on my foam roller after a workout hurts pretty good!

I'm glad you made good use of the snow (skiing, snowshoeing) over the weekend, Mariposai. That and running would make anyone want some recovery time.

Thanks for the brief bio, John. Being able to enjoy your daily runs "just for what they are" is a real treat - enjoy! Funny story about who went to bed first on your birthday night...

Aamos, thanks for the well-stated thoughts about "only a marathon." However, I'd like to expand it to include races at any distance. We should all take satisfaction from doing the work that gets us to the starting line, and then giving it our all till we reach the finish line, regardless of the distance.

Ribs, is "Cant Buy Me Love" one of the other songs?

What a weekend, Leslie! And now you are going to sign up for the 50 miler? You're amazing. BTW, did that lady with the stroller have a motor hidden between the wheels??

Phunny photo, Dave!

Have a great time with the GS, Tselbes!

Welcome back, Brian! Yeah - black ice makes any run "interesting..." Speaking for myself, I just like hearing from all these folks, whether they have wisdom or insights to share, or just post a 5-word run report. Just knowing they are here is often enough for me. So don't overthink this posting stuff.

Sorry about the Achilles, MIke. How the heck did you win a marathon with that thing?? As others have said here, Achilles take time to heal, so you may just have to back off for a while longer.

Nice post from Alex, Mariposai. I can see why that'd make you smile.

Out at 4 o'dark this morning for a relatively easy 4.5 RW miles At 18F, the temp was half of what it was yesterday. My Garmin wasn't working for some reason, so I took the timeless opportunity to work on some technique issues. My hip/leg were better than yesterday, but still need work.

We opened registration for our road race series (http://www.proportsmouth.org/SeacoastSeries.cfm) late Sunday afternoon, and already have over 150 people registered. This is the oldest active series in the area (outside of the USATF series), and I'm glad people still look forward to it.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I've got my New Balance shoes on and am stretching before my morning run.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

bhearn very odd puzzle the two children one is a boy born on Tuesday.  Let me see - you can have your first born a boy on Tuesday and then a boy on one of 7 days or a girl on one of 7 days.  That is 14 equally likely alternatives.  Alternatively the second born can be a boy on Tuesday and the first a boy on one of 7 days or a girl on one of 7 days or 14 equally likely alternatives.  Between the two groups there is one overlapping outcome: two boys both born on Tuesday.  So there are actually 27 equally likely outcomes in the set of possible outcomes.  Of these 13 involve a boy born on a Tuesday so the odds you have two boys is 13/27 which I must admit seems really, really odd.  I am really stumped as to why knowing the kid was born on a Tuesday tells you anything.  What if I mentioned he was born with 15,382 hairs on his head.  What are the odds I have two boys?

On Sunday I had the opposite experience of Spareribs (hay Spareribs want to trade!).  I ran about as well as I could have hoped and ended up mid pack.  Literally.  I finished 20/40 in my AG.  About as poor as I have done in a race I have tried to race as I can recall.  So it is time for me to get back to working on speed and stop pretending just running will do it.  As a start I went off for 9 miles of Zombieslecks this morning.  I escaped all of the hordes making my avatar very happy.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

nothing like starting them young.   I can see that he's going to keep everyone on their toes as he grows up.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

a tad over 4 miles for me this morning.  at 21, not as cold as predicted, so a very pleasant run.  Sidewalks around the lake are just about clear, but still some sneaky ice.  Another run in the low 9's, this time without a pacer, so I was happy.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Adorable baby!!  Thanks, Tom!

No run for me again!  This is so hard!  And I have already gained 2 lbs.  But I am trying very hard to be patient.  Only mild pain this morning but it is still there.

So instead, P90X Chest and Back, followed by stability ball crunches.

I think I may go out and buy a bike trainer tonight.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly,  I sympathize - I haven't run since Saturday because my stoopid foot still hurts.  Be patient - and step away from the scale!

Interesting puzzles - Dave, I was wondering the same thing about the Monty Hall puzzle, with 12 choices instead of 9.

Nice to see bhearn and BTY stopping in!

Adorable grandkid, Tom!

Thanks for the shout outs on my 50k on Saturday - but it was NOT a race - just a fat ass group run.  And I have no idea why they're called that, as there were no fat asses there...   here are a few pictures:

Headless Horsetooth 50k Fatass run 2/22/14

Running north on the Blue Sky trail from Loveland to Fort Collins:

Climbing up Horsetooth Mtn:

view from the summit, looking down at Horsetooth Reservoir:

Summit picture - I'm on the left:

Coming down from the summit:

Finishing back in Loveland, almost 8 hours later:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

Beautiful photos Carolyn.

TC, I can't imagine you ever finishing mid-pack in your AG.  Some tough field.

Jay, "Can't Buy Me Love" was '64 but you weren't the only one to guess it.  Some Canadian got the whole thing right.  A Canadian!! But although Canadian, he's a really bright guy*, and asked me to forgive him about the Olympic hockey thing.

So here it is two days after the race and my legs are sorer, which I expected, and yet I did 2.2 miles of jog/walk today and another good stretch. I imagine I'll be running just fine by end of week.

This Saturday at a nearby hotel I'm doing a 90-minute workshop called "Why People Buy" and "Overcoming Buyer Objections".  But the audience is big, so I have to do it 3 times as the participants rotate from program to program.  I'll have over 100 in all.

I start my running week on Sundays. It's pretty cool to enter the first day of the week with 31.1 miles. Wonder if I'll get my 40 in this week.  Spareribs

*I'm going to use the "although Canadian, he's really bright" on FB today, just to shake up my northern friends. Can't wait for Kate to see it.

mrrun

A good day

TomS

+1

carolyn - great pics also

no run yet for me, spent morning on computer cataloging archeology stuff

marj

Just so you know SR, we routinely say that about Americans (hee hee).

Tom - I want to take that baby home!!!  ADORABLE!!

Wildchild - beautiful pictures!!!

The boy born on Tuesday.  I must be an empiricist, because my thoughts went like this:

born on tues, means more likely a C-section or induction, means more likely a complicated birth, like twins, which means the possiblity of identical twins, which means more likely (by a very small fraction) the other child is a boy (born on the same day).  And more boys are born than girls period (105:100), so there.  Although more boys die before age 20, so I am not sure when it evens out.

Supposed to go up to 58F tomorrow, and no rain, yippee!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Dave59

It is very unfair that my granddaughter moved to Florida.  Um, I mean, great picture Tom.

5 slow basement treadmill miles for me this morning.  My heart wasn't in it, but I have a goal to run at least 100 miles every month this year and I need about 5 per day to hit that on Friday.  I prefer to get to at least April before I give up on my goals for the year. 

Wonderful pictures today - both the little guy and Wild's running scenery.

5.1 harder-than-they-should-have-been miles this morning.  It's been very warm this week (but beautiful).  Every year about this time I get a renewed education on how much harder it feels to run in the H&H after running for a while in cooler weather.  Maybe it's just me and maybe I don't dissipate the heat very well, but I do so much better when it's 50° at 5 AM rather than 70°.

OM is down here this week.  I wonder how she's liking our weather?

You who have been waiting for the winter to end will find out soon enough and you'll be whining right along with me.  

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

You who have been waiting for the winter to end will find out soon enough and you'll be whining right along with me.  

I never complain about the heat.  I just run slower and expect less from my running.  

Carolyn - beautiful pics!

Enke - 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I don't know what the puzzle is about (need to go back and look), but Twocat's response made my brain explode.

Cute baby!

Beautiful pictures, Carolyn.  I'd love to run there, so long as I could carry oxygen with me.

I've been awake since about 1:45 a.m., so I am not fully responsible for any inane, stupid comments I may make.  I dozed from about 5:00 to 6:30, but dozing doesn't count.  I have had a massive headache since yesterday (Twocat's post didn't help), and I would've stayed home today, except when I went to email this morning that I would not be at work, our department's secretary had already beat me to the punch.  There is a large possibility that my left eye will actually pop out of my head.   I'd take some really good drugs, but I'd end up with my head on my desk and drooling.  I'm not sure how long I will survive.

Okay - enough whining.  Off to get an eye patch for my left eye in the hopes it will help keep it in place.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

janie b good

congrats ribs, opie, wildchild, and leslie on impressive weekend runs!

tselbs ... cute baby!  I want to borrow!

3.26 ez miles

I thought I was done with this head cold, but my nose is crazy runny this afternoon (trying to keep up with my legs, I guess).

I got to choose my garden space at church this morning and landed a premium spot.  so happy!  c'mon, spring!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

BTY

It's been so long since I felt greta on a Tuesday.

5.5 miles on the same trail that was peppered with black ice yesterday.  Today it was better than yesterday.  Or I am.  Or something.

27 degrees and sunny was enough to melt the ice without it refreezing in nearly invisible form.  Probably if I were to have run at 2:00 instead of 12:00 I'd have been slipping and sliding.

I'm up to 10 miles already for the week. Woot!  Probably going to dial it back a little tomorrow.  Temps are supposed to drop starting tomorrow and be down around 15 by noon on Friday.  grumble.

Brian