Masters Running

Sunday Daily 1-26-14 (Read 38 times)

Tramps

Great pics from Leslie yesterday.

And Steve is one-of-a-kind. Go Avenger!

My usual “long” route is still too icy to run safely with traffic, so I stuck close to home for a slippy 10-miler. Someone’s been cross-country skiing on my trail, dog and owner tracks are common, and there’s lots of deer tracks everywhere. The secret life of a trail written in snow.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Great pics from Leslie yesterday.

And Steve is one-of-a-kind. Go Avenger!

+2

Nice way of describing the snow trail story Tramps. I don't have the same lyrical prose for the roads here since plowing ability in New England appears largely absent. My standards may be impossibly high coming from the city in NY State that usually wins the golden snowball award and actually does know how to plow roads and handle winter, grrrr.....

Anyway, got out early and bundled up for a long run, 19.6 miles at 8:53 pace. 3xMMTD with bright blue skies and layers of micro-fleece. Four weeks of mid-60s mileage and now on to the 70s. roar.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Anyway, got out early and bundled up for a long run, 19.6 miles at 8:53 pace. 3xMMTD with bright blue skies and layers of micro-fleece. Four weeks of mid-60s mileage and now on to the 70s. roar.

+++ several for Steve and Leslie's race reports.

I ran just like Karin this morning.  Except mine was 1/3 x MMTD   6.25 miles in 18F.  Just downloaded the Garmin and it was fairly easy to see which parts of the lake laps were with the wind.  15-20mph gusts just aren't fun coming up wind.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  There has been a little excitement in our house, this morning...

I mentioned that I moved Ryan and Eric into a "new place", yesterday.  Well, that new place was my DW's grandparent's old house.  Now that both of her grandarents are gone, we are hoping to buy it and rent it out to Ryan and Eric.  We figure if we're ending up paying part of the rent so they're not out on the streets living in cardboard boxes, we might as well be paying for something we can benefit from someday.  Anyway...while cleaning things up and going through some of grandpa's stuff, we came a across a hand grenade.  Not knowing if this thing was real, or active, or anything, I brought it home so it wouldn't be around the boys...who knows what Eric might have done with it.  So I got home and told DW about it and said that I was going to call my SIL, who is on our local police force, and ask what I should do with it.  Well...DW went kind of basirk over it.  She did not want to get the police involved.  There, of course, was a big argument over this thing.  I called him, this morning, before we left for church and, before I knew it, we had instructions from our local police cheif to not return to our house until the St. Paul Bomb Squad removed the devise from our house.  I was handling all this on my cell phone, at church, and not letting my DW know anything about it.  Finally, after it was clear that I was stalling to go home, I told her about it.  I think I would have rather had the grenade explode than having DW go off on me.  I had given the bomb squad guy our garage code to get into our house and how could I allow a stranger to go into our house without us there and "they better take off their shoes!".  She really was going overboard.  She said she had told her daughter about my concern about the grenade and her husband, who had been helping with the move and had seen it, laughed and said, "It's a lighter!"  DW even said to me, "When they do determine that this thing is a lighter, you'll be eating your words!"  Not sure what she meant but...that's how crazy she was.  Thankfully, by the time we got home, everybody was was gone and the device had been removed.  I received a phone call from my SIL to tell me that two bomb squad guys confirmed that it was a WWII Japanese grenade, and yes, it was live and very dangerous.  I am mustering up all the strength I have to not say, "I told you so."  She's still mad...I think she's even madder that I was right.

Okay...I'd better get going.

SubDood

Wow. Just, wow!  Glad everyone is safe, Mike.

King of PhotoShop

Those were delightful pics from Steve and Leslie yesterday. Warmed my heart.

Karin, you keep plugging away at that great mileage and I note that moving up to the 70's is next.  Nice work.

Mike, I got rid of my first wife in 1970. There's no law that says you have to keep them.  Do the right thing.

A young lady in our Club is getting ready to run some marathon in Galveston, TX in 3 weeks so today wanted to do 20 with me.  Believe it or not, she runs slower than I do, so it wasn't very hard to do. When we finished I told her I was going to do one more, but because she is a woman, she probably couldn't handle one more mile and that it was okay if she just walked a bit until I got back.

Worked like a charm!  She said, "Let's go!"  Then ran a 9:25 mile, fastest one of the day.  Who says I don't know how to get results!  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike - I have no idea why your wife was so upset about the situation.  It seems clear to me that you took the appropriate steps and had a dangerous weapon safely removed.  Had you listened to her and treated it like a lighter, someone could have been seriously hurt.  Kudos to you for doing the right thing.

Ribs - nice coaching technique!

DS said he wanted to cook something (a first), and so I am trying to stay out of the kitchen and not be a bother.  All I know is it involves a pound of bacon and a pound of ground beef. 

6.2 recovery miles for me before church, then various errands.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wonderful pictures and races from Leslie and Steve.

I once saw mouse tracks in the snow, that abruptly stopped with the appearance of hawk claws

CNY---wow, just wow, and ROAR!

Mike, same thing, wow.....I'd say it to her.....you could also add "Na na nana na" after it too.

Did 6 miles (some on the horse trails, some on a dirt trail down a lovely road), was kind of a slog, accumulated leg fatigue after jumping from 20 miles a week to 30 (I am breaking all the rules about increasing mileage, and loving it).  But I checked my overall pace, and it was actually not nearly as slow as I expected, so it just felt super slow.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello, again.  While I was running...and thinking...I thought, you know, I had all day to take in what I had found.  I went from thinking it was nothing, to something that might be dangerous.  Then I came home and told DW about it and expected her to come to the same conclusion as I did...in 2 seconds.  Her big thing is that; by getting the police involved, that it will be another red flag when it comes time to do her Daycare licensing renewal.  Their involvement is what caused Eric to be banned from our house.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but those licensing people are pretty ridiculous.  Oh well...I'm sure it will all...blow over...

Anyway--I did another run on the treadmill.  It was supposed to be an easy 6 miler, but not doing those 2 miles, last night were really bugging me.  So, at 5 miles, I turned the speed up to a 7:19 pace for 2 miles, then finished with 1 more mile at the easy pace.  8 miles in 1:04:00.  I know that none of you people considered me to be a quitter by not completing my run, last night...but I did.

Okay--that's it from me, today.  See ya!

C-R

Wow Mike. Good call on getting the pros in there. Where I grew up in Germany, kids would still find un-exploded ordinance and it sometimes got dicey. BTW - did they take off their shoes?

CNY - Got get 'em. High miles in cruddy conditions. You will blow away the marathon.

Funny Ribs. My guess is you never ran in front of her on the last mile. I might suggest to watch in the parking lots too.

Well the big news of the day was Patrick qualifying for nationals in MD by finishing 3rd today. He ran really well although he wasn't happy. (Went out too fast on his first two laps). We started the day ala Jay with 5:30 wake up and in the car at 6. It was snowing and the roads were fun for the hour and a half drive. The 3000 was the first track event and when he was done, we watched the older kids run their 3000 and then watched high jumps, long jumps, hurdles, shot put and 55m stuff. There are some really talented kids in this sport. Patrick also made a couple of new friends that will be competing in MD and one of his team mates qualified in the 1500. Altogether a great morning. We even returned in time for me to get a 13.2 miler today in some balmy 35 degrees.

Time to make dinner.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

Congratulations to Patrick!  C-R you must be proud of the kiddo.

What a drama MikeE. Ohh, I know all about day care licensing, they are really picky.

Spareribs, glad to see you enjoyed your long run today. Lucky runner who had the chance to run with you.

Well, 4 miles for me today to get me to a 50 mile week. My day was not as eventful as MikeE, but I did have my share of excitement, or not, by spending 7 hours measuring the half marathon course by foot with a wheel (well, we started out with a hand held wheel, but at mile two it broke on us). I ran back to the car, went back to pick up Paul and then we drove back to the starting line and began measuring the route with a GPS machine. Long story short, but by the time we finished the half marathon course we found out that we were .26 longer, so back to the drawing board we went. We did find a route that will work for us and it is a much prettier route, so all is well.

I am tired, cold, exhausted and cranky by now.

Time to cook dinner. Dinner is rice pilaf, salmon, lobster tail,  braised broccoli, stir fry greens and  green salad. I better start cooking because I have a meeting at my place at 6pm for the Mediterranean Escape Fundraiser we are organizing. When it rains, it pours.

Cheers to you all!

How did our racers do?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow Mike. Good call on getting the pros in there.  BTW - did they take off their shoes?

I was wondering about their shoes too....

Mike, I think you did the right thing.  Your DW will calm down in time.  I hope Ryan and Eric don't find any more interesting things in that house! Oh, and nice run today!

Karin, Roar!  You're amazing!

Holly - sometimes kids actually like help in the kitchen when they're just starting to learn to cook.   Maybe you could teach both kids!  We taught DD to cook, and by the time she was in high school the 3 of us alternated cooking every night.  It's a useful life skill they really should have. (Teach your DH while you're at it!) 

Norm - a hugh congrats to Patrick!  When is the race in MD?

It was 35° and windy here today, but 55° and windy down in town, so I chose option B.    It wasn't bad if I stayed in the woods, but it was a bit too brisk out in the grasslands.  Anyway, I ran 20 trail miles - the longest in a while, which put me over 50 miles for the week.   It was slow, but I'm calling it Ultra Pace, as opposed to MP.   Which is fine, since that's what I'm training for.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

MikeE, when I was much younger, my step father's shop converted over to weapon production. Now, I'm sure it's inappropriate, however, he brought home a few unarmed samples. Being a grade school boy child, I thought these items were the coolest things. The teacher did not take it well when a wide eyed kid opened up a paper bag and pulled out a mortar shell for show and tell. It did not go well at home either. My step dad took away all my handgrenades. sigh. It didn't even make the local newspaper/scandal sheet.

SteveP

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Hey CNY! I've made golden snowballs before too!!

Ribs, Dad yells, "Last one to the truck buys the ice cream!", and I run faster. You could try that too.

Yay Patrick! He should get a new squeaky toy!

Me and dad went and got Honey today and we went run run run!! When we were almost to the trails, a big big bird flew by dad's truck. He said it was a "Bald Eagle". Dad knows bald when he sees it. When we stopped at the trail there were two deers!!!! Big deers that needed to go run run run!! Dad made me and Honey wait along time in the truck. We were both sad and crying. He put on his snowshoes and hooked Honey to his waist so he can use two hands when he going to run run run.... I guess he calls it that. He will never ever catch anything the way he goes. There were some snowshoe tracks in the trail already so it was nice we would not get lost this time.

After a long long time, their tracks were gone and we went through brand new snow!! It was way deep and I got to bounce through it. It did slow me and Dad and Honey down, but it was still rexciting.

Honey only cares where her nose goes and one day it will get her into trouble.

Honey had to cool off after that great run run run!

Sniffing Butts, Tag

evanflein

Nice, Taggie! I love the sweatshirt you get to wear! That Honey is a cutie, too. Looks like a really fun run in the snow.

"they better take off their shoes!"  Mike, that was the line of the day. Great story, and yes in time I think she'll come around to seeing that you were right. After all, she may have some "issues" with the daycare folks, but at least you still have a house, right? Although... maybe you could've left it in a box outside as opposed to bringing it into the house. Just a thought for next time. 

Nice high mileage run for CNY and Ribs (with an interesting coaching add-on at the end). Karin, it's always so fun to see you get ready for a big race!

Holly, what did that concoction end up being? A pound of bacon and a pound of ground beef... Hmmmm, nothing good can come from that!

Tramps, I hear ya on the icy conditions. I had another run on the icy bikepaths today, but they seemed a wee bit better than yesterday. Probably from the traffic (snowmachines, bikes, foot traffic) since yesterday so the icy surface was a little more chewed up in spots. Still pretty icy though, especially on the overpasses. Managed 12.5 miles, ending with a half mile up the hill by my office. Damn that thing is hard! Was pretty much out of gas and stopped a few times, which served to help admire the sunset again. We sure have beautiful sunrises/sunsets here...

Made lasagna for dinner tonight, and it's almost ready. I love a good spinachy lasagna!