Masters Running

Monday Masters Runs and Stuff (Read 452 times)

Where is everyone? Vista? Roy? Perch? Holly? Has the bad weather kept everyone in this morning. No words of wisdom from me this morning, only a carpy run to report. 6.5 miles in 1:02. Warm, humid and very windy here. I'm discovering quickly that I'm a better cold weather runner. Had to stop and walk a few times because I was sweating so badly. I know, I know - TMI. Busy week coming up - DS #1 is getting married on Saturday and we have a house full of relatives arriving starting Wednesday. I suppose I should clean a little, eh? Good starts to your new week, everyone, Jeanne
      Where is everyone?
      Well, I can tell you where I've been, and that's scrambling around to find a generator after storms took out our power (once again) on the hottest day of the year yesterday, and we're probably looking at quite a wait for it to be restored (1000s out of power in the area). I finally found one that I can borrow (no chance of finding one in stock for sale anywhere), but this is the last straw with our unreliable power and we'll be shopping ASAP. It's mainly the freezer that's the critical item, especially in this weather. I hope everyone else is having better luck and has some other excuse for not posting.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning all….everyone must be tired from some tough runs in the heat over the weekend. I was soooo tired after my run yesterday, that I didn't feel like posting and just relaxed and tried and recover…actually I felt horrible. 22 miles total but at mile 20 my body completely shut down and had to walk the 2 miles home and really didn't think I would make it. I was doing fine till mile 15 and had a decent pace at 8:50, but the heat really started to get to me. I slowed down to 9:30 pace which only helped a little bit, and by mile 18 I was feeling lousy. I made it to mile 20 just barely shuffling my feet and stopped at a park where there was a water fountain, and I drank and laid down under a shade tree and wondered how the heck I was going to make it back home. I finally took off at a slow jog for about 50 feet and my HR spiked and I had to stop and check my pulse….my HR was 160 just standing there which really worried me, it was actually high during my whole run, when normally it’s really low. Well, I then started doing the “just make it to the next mail box- or telephone pole game” which worked and I finally made it home, but could barely walk up my steps to my apartment. As I was walking home I swore off running ever again, but we all know that is short lived and I feel like running again, but will take a rest day today, Summary: too many miles in those conditions when I really don’t even have to run that far right now. Side note: at mile 3.5 I had to take a potty break....bad, and luckily there was a Port pot within a few hundred feet...thank goodness. I took my fuel belt off and laid it on the ground outside. I heard someone outside and I wondered if someone would take my belt with a pouch with my gels and Enlyten stripes, thinking it may have a cell phone or money in it. Sure enough, when I opened the door my belt was gone and I saw a about a 15 16 year old kiddo about 50 yards away with my stuff. I took chase and in a few seconds I was right up on him. He took off running and I very quickly caught him and I pushed him in the back and he did a face plant into the grass...it didn't hurt him. I asked where he lived and he actually told me and I walked to his house and told his parents what he just did. He told his parents he thought my fuel belt was just abandonand...parents weren't to impressed with his story. Then off I went on my run, and when I got home my garmin said my fastest pace was 5:48 catching the bum....which I didn't need that stress that early in a long run Angry Man, I am chatty this morning. Hope all have a great day Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning! Thanks for starting us out this morning Jlynne......I hope your week goes well with that upcoming wedding. It will be a busy week for sure. Rochrunner.....sorry for your problems. It is just good that you found something that works for a generator to save the freezer and also to maybe give you some relief in the heat and all. This weather is crazy. To own a generator is not a bad investment, I think. I ALMOST bought one back when we were all scared over Y2K.....and the turnover of computers/systems, etc that forecast pending problems. However, my "save a buck" program made me gamble by not buying and it worked out. Just coming back on to comment on your comments biketm.........While my distance was not anywhere near as far as yours, the feeling of going from post to box to then next target was EXACTLY what I went through while trying to run in the heat over the weekend. No question this weather takes it out of you. I laughed at your running to catch up with the young teenager. Hey, there is a case in point where your running ability helped. I think you handled that just about perfectly. Good story. No news with my brother, and I figure in this case..."no news IS definitely good news". I am up to my armpits in alligators as far as work is concerned so better get to it before I get bit. Have a nice day everyone......"sweat responsibly".
          Vista
          Dave59

Luckily we still have power up here in my part of Michigan (although I guess some people in town don't). I had a physical therapy session at 6 this morning and then I went for a 3 mile run along the rail trail. I did 2x5 minutes at my 5k pace.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good luck this week Jlynne - don't forget to post some photos!! Roch - we were without power yesterday afternoon, but we weren't home at the time. Came back on 10 minutes before we got home so that worked out perfectly. Jeepers Tim - take it easy!! Scheduled rest day for me. Had a busy weekend - didn't get my long run in at all and had Saturday off (unscheduled). Yesterday was a H&H 5 miler then 17.5 holes of golf. Nothing like getting chased off a golf course with a storm moving faster than your golf cart . . . . Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Hill Runner

Morning all, Doug, I hope that you get your power problem sorted out. After we had a bad power outage back in 1997 that knocked us out for almost 5 days , I bought a generator & wired in an interface switch directly into my breaker box....ironically, we really never really had a bad prolonged power outage since that Roll eyes...I'm still waiting to put it to use... Big grin A usual rest day for me after my LR yesterday...AT feels surprisingly good. Good running to all today

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

LaVita- You post about new cycling togs without a full fashion report? I may have to check with Spareribs on the protocol here. Tall- great pictures from the weekend, made me feel cooler and more relaxed just looking at them. For me another Stanky acclimation run of 8 miles this morning. We are supposed to get some rain tomorrow and the temps and humidity are supposed to break then. Too bad because this is the way I like it.
                    Good morning, all! Jeanne - Thanks for the kickoff this morning! Best of luck with the company and the wedding! Doug - sorry to hear about your electricity outage - those do come at the worst possible times. Hope your hunt for a generator is successful. Tim - glad to hear you survived your run and you got your gear back. Take care in this awful weather!!! Vista - don't let the 'gators get ya!! The heat and humidity has definitely reached the East Coast. I felt pretty good for the first 10 miles yesterday, but by the time I hit 13 miles I was feeling like Big Brown in the Belmont - just ran out of gas. I was glad I wasn't planning to do a longer run. Today is a rest day, so I decided it would be a good day to initiate Jesse as a running dog. We jogged 2 miles out and then walked back to the house. She ran like a seasoned pro - no jumping or pulling at all. Weight work schedule for noon. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

0715 78 F 82 % Walked 3 miles with my four-legged pal, Veta Louise, and my friend and her quad-ped, Bandit. The flies are bad, bad flies... I got bit on the neck and OUCH. About a half mile later my friend said, "Come here, you've got a dead fly in your hair." A true friend will pick a dead fly out of your hair. ANYWAY. It's triple H here in the mid-Atlantic states and poor Indiana and Michigan are flooding...aye carumba! Craney, Um, I don't know how to post photos here but I did post one of the birthday biking togs on KR if you ever venture over to the Masters forum. No worries if you don't! I shall describe them now: Black spandex bike shorts (women's cut) size M. (built by Canari) Sleeveless bike top with dark pink inner part and black outer part for a slimming effect and reflective accent flowers in the front and one of the back pockets. (also built by Canari) Thanks for asking! Bike™ Wow, you sure pack a lot of action into a 22 miles run that you didn't even need to run... Glad you went to the kid's house, it takes a village...
                      LaVita
                        Rest day today and with the high H&H happy I am not running. Wow is it hot. Hoping for rain. jlynne - hope the wedding goes off well Rochrunner - I have often said I should buy a generator too, with all the brownouts lately. Tim - Good job on catching the youngster. hopefully the parents make him responsible Off to play tennis with a friend later, it's a great game. Getting the girls tonight. I miss them so much.. Take care my friends Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

Today was the best of all possible worlds. Plenty of heat, so there was no ambiguity about what I should wear. Lots of humidity to keep the muscles loose. Best of all, a dense cloud of horse flies stayed with me most of the way providing additional shade. 5.2 miles @ 9:18.

Be safe. Be kind.

Tramps

0715 A true friend will pick a dead fly out of your hair.
                            Aw, a Hallmark moment. Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

Mornin' all I meant to get out for a run earlier, but the kiddo was in a snuggly mood and I'll always change plans for that. Poor dude, no AC at his school (or any of the schools here) so he'll be a cranky sweaty mess when he gets home. Two more weeks of sixth grade (the notation on the calendar he keeps at his desk). As for me...8.6 miles in 1:14 (8:38ish pace) at 7:30 AM, 81F and dewpoint above 70. Thank goodness for up tempo music from The Scissor Sisters and the Fine Young Cannibals. Hang in there everyone through the floods and heat and upside down weather. Whoa there Tim! Karin/CNYrunner
                                "Best of all, a dense cloud of horse flies stayed with me most of the way providing additional shade."
                                SNORK Tramps! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong