Masters Running

Post-marathon recovery time and plans (Read 342 times)

Post Marathon recovery Teresa asked a question about marathon recovery on the 4/22 daily thread and I moved it here so that many might chime in with their thoughts. I am also curious about what others do. As with training we all have individual approaches and what works for one, doesn’t always work for another. What happens after you run a marathon tends to get less than a chapter in most books on marathoning and yet, recovery is not simple. Marathon recovery for me depends on my goals for the next race and which marathon I ran anyway. The Boston marathon involves a lot of eccentric muscle action particularly in my quadriceps muscles since you are working against gravity as you run downhill. My calves hurt more after the Disney World marathon because it was basically flat. For me, the course also plays a role in the recovery plan. Immediately following a marathon, I try to refuel (chocolate milk, an apple and pretzels after Boston this year) and walk even when all I want to do is sit on the curb. I also try to get into an ice bath or hold my legs under the coldest stream of water I can stand in the shower. After the now defunct Stowe, VT marathon (you want hills----run up to the Trapp Family Lodge----ouch) I jumped into the hotel pool and paddled around for 20 minutes. That worked magic. The first week after the marathon is the most critical for me. I always have an overwhelming temptation to run right out the door again even if my legs are sore. After all, my fitness level is at a peak and if I ran a good race, I am feeling happy and want to keep the good times rolling. If I haven’t raced well, I want to get right back out there and get revenge. This is the injury window for me and I resist this temptation. I’ll walk lots this week and try to swim to get my limbs to loosen up. It takes about four days for my legs to feel “normal” while walking and a full seven days for a run to feel okay. I do the stairs test----can I go down the stairs without grabbing a railing? A marathon does a number on your muscles at the cellular level and it takes longer than you might think to recovery fully. Since I don’t plan to “race” another marathon for at least six months, my recovery plan looks like this: Week 1—walking, swimming, light jogging five days after marathon---no timing Week 2---untimed runs and weekly mileage at no more than 30 miles, walking continues Week 3---untimed runs and weekly mileage at no more than 35 miles By the beginning of week 4, I start thinking about what I’ll do next and ramp up the mileage. I usually don’t get back into a training cycle with serious speed work for another 2 weeks at a minimum-----6-8 weeks of less structured running and cross training (yoga, swimming, walking or hiking) works for me. I may jump into a 5k race here and there, but that will be the extent of any speed work. Could I run a marathon this coming weekend? Probably----I have a monster base and have been blessedly injury free for a while now. Am I tempted? Not really. I know I am in that injury prone window and my muscles need to heal and my immunity needs to stay strong. My goals are different however and there are many here who run serial marathons and do so with incredible results and strength. In the year that I ran 4 marathons, I had colds that never went away and I was dragging. My goals going into those 4 marathons were unrealistic as well since I wanted to get great times at each one. I hope others will chime in here, since there are so many perspectives and all are important to consider as you wok through what works best for you. Someone like Aamos for example seems to recover quickly and has a goal of having fun out there anyway. Arf is an ultra-runner and likely has her own great recovery plan. Hermosaboy has lots of shorter races on the docket now. And so on…. Thanks Teresa for the great question! Karin/CNYrunner

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Excellent recommendations CNY. I don't have a hard time laying low after a hard marathon effort because I usually get sick right after. Feb 07 after my BQ marathon I had a bad stomach virus within 48 hrs after the marathon. Right after Richmond in November I got a bad cold. Tueday evening after Boston, I got the dreaded stomach virus agin. The only times I've gotten it has been immediately post marathon. I wonder if others have simiar experiences. I like your 3 week plan. My worst injury ever was 3 weeks after the marathon a year ago. So.. once the soreness leaves it will be Magical Healing Mies with Tory and until then walks with Tory Big grin

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

coastwalker

Well, I'm not going to be writing any more bib numbers for at least a week! Gotta rest my wrist... Wink Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Karin - like Perch says, excellent recommendations!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Say wildchild, seemogo, Coloradians! I'm planning on running Ft. Collins May 4--I ran it last year and stoopidly went out too fast as it was cold (and we'd been standing around in the dawn in the cold) and downhill, and as I said, I'm stoopid! So I thought I'd try again. A friend of mine (well, she's a prosecutor, but a good one!) is doing the half and her husband's running the full, plus last year I got to visit with several other Colorado runners I know. Anyone else out there scheduled this one? grins, A
            Masters 2000 miles
            evanflein

Recovery #1: ice bath. Didn't get to it soon enough on Monday... too much standing around waiting for people to show up at the W Family Gathering spot (ahem!), but ok... My preferred ice bath after my hard runs is my 33-gallon garbage can filled with at least cold hose water (from our well, I swear it's at 33F), add ice if needed. With no garbage can available, I'll sit in the tub but some bits complain a lot. Food: I love the fat-free light yogurt smoothies, Lucerne by Safeway is my favorite but Dannon makes a good one. Chocolate milk is another good one, but I prefer non-fat or 1% and both are hard to find here. And bananas. And almonds.... those are my top choices. Activity: I'm a big fan of walking, and have a dog who loves to go on walks. So for the first couple days after a local marathon (ok, that's the Equinox) I walk. For Boston, I walked a lot on Tuesday (Freedom Trail, etc) and that really felt good. Any running is as EZ as I can do, as few hills as I can, and no more than 5 miles for the first few days. I might try up to 8 this weekend... That last paragraph is important because I typically will ramp right up there again and do another marathon within 3-5 weeks. Being able to do that pretty much requires a "lay low" plan the first week. I'm one of those CNY mentioned who can run serial marathons and have pretty good times (BQ's at least) at all or most of them. I haven't been injured since 2006 and haven't been sick except a mild cold over Christmas (yeah, great timing). This year will be hard because I have no more marathons planned for sure until September... Withdrawal pangs could be tough...

shonan marathon, girl

Great ideas here. It's nice to talk with others over 40. I just finished a marathon at Kasumigaura, Japan on Sunday. I have been swimming all week and doing some upper body weight training. I think I ready to do an easy run for the first time today. All of you have inspired me to try for Boston.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Welcome Brioche! Congratulations on your marathon and I am glad you have Boston in your sights. The photo of where you live is beautiful. The running community has no borders or real time zones----please post more! Karin

Marathon Maniac #957

Anyone else out there scheduled this one?
                    Aamos - I'm doing the Flying Pig in Cincinnati on May 4th. I'm curious - what type/howmuch running do you do when there is 2 weeks between marathons?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."