Masters Running

Sunday, 10.25.15 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I wonder what Mike is wearing at MCM??

You and DW could do well with a farm stand for all your canned/jarred goods. Meanwhile, you've got some lucky relatives...

Nice taper, Aamos. Nice runs Tselbes, Twocat, Lamerunner and Evanflein. Nice ride, Tet.

Must have been interesting to watch the sled dog training, Lamerunner, when it wasn't terrifying.

Our 5K, thankfully, went pretty well yesterday. We got lots of nice comments from the racers afterward. We had 699 finishers, which was down from previous years, but was still OK. The problems we had control over were few, minor, and were dealt with quickly. The one problem we didn't have control over was that the timers had the age group winners mostly wrong on the sheets they gave us for the award ceremony. We didn't realize it till we were about half-way through. We couldn't fix it then, so now we have to go back and figure out which awards were correct, and get prizes to all the racers who earned them but didn't get them. It's a pain in the butt, but when one looks at all the things that could go wrong at a race, it could have been a lot worse, and this is fixable.

I went about 6.8 wallking miles this morning. Still no racewalking... It was about 48F with a southerly breeze and some light drizzle. All in all, it was a nice morning to be out.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...jay///.....thanks for the RaceWalking Info,,,,,,just found the 4-miles of a 19-mile Rails to Trails the city is FINALLY starting, hope to be able to ''cross the mid-line'' soon and try it out

.ps.....nobody will be able to see me, so I won't have to get up early...........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

The one problem we didn't have control over was that the timers had the age group winners mostly wrong on the sheets they gave us for the award ceremony. We didn't realize it till we were about half-way through. We couldn't fix it then, so now we have to go back and figure out which awards were correct, and get prizes to all the racers who earned them but didn't get them.

That is definitely a PITB - hope you get it sorted out with minimal difficulty.  699 finishers sounds like a huge 5K - well done!

TomWhite - I have really been enjoying watching your progress.

No run for me today, 45 minutes of P90X yoga (that stuff is HARD) plus 15 minutes on the bike trainer.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Greetings, all.  Seems as though everyone is having a busy weekend.  Hope you're all enjoying it and have had good races or runs.

I had a very nice 5 mile run yesterday and a very mediocore 3.1 mile one today.  Yesterday's was the quickest in a long time--I even saw a couple of mile paces that started with 8's.   I think today's was slightly influenced by the several hours I spent on a ladder scraping window trim.  Hope so, anyway.

Forgot to tell TomS what a great picture from Friday.  Also amazed at the number of canning jars you're going through.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

moebo

Jay, congratulations on your successful 5K. Good that the biggest issue was the awards mix-up.

Tselbs, your house must smell delicious!

Stumpy, congrats on seeing 8s yesterday.

10 miles for me this morning, 9:34 average pace. It was lovely on the lake today.

...ok,

20-min on The Elliptical.............still The Devil's Own Torture Machine that I  knew years before

so,

yet another Alternative for me,

this HiP Replacement Stuff give you A LOT of Toys to Play With.....

.........good running guys

ETA-

what a Gorgeous Picture moebo......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I'll get right to it--the organization in this matathon stunk.  I took the first shuttle available from a neighboring hotel, took the transit system the organizers suggested, and was there an hour and 15 minutes before the start.  I left a porta potty line after 10 minutes because it wasn't moving and headed to the start line.  Okay...long story a little shorter...I was still waiting in the line to go through security when the race started.  Once through security, I had to drop off my bag and head to the start.  I ended up with a chip time of 3:03:09 but I feel like I could have gone under 3 if I hadn't had to use so much energy getting around people.

Okay--I'll stop my dang complaining.  Oh, no I won't--the worse thing of all--I never met Amy!!

moebo

Mike E, how frustrating! Of course 3:03 is a great time, but I'm sure that's small consolation when you know that you missed going sub-3:00 because of organizational problems. I hope your next marathon experience is more serene...

Any news from Aamos?

wildchild

Carolyn

Amy won her AG - but I know that's not giving anything away, because she always does!

Mike, bummer about the security line being so long!  Did you ever stop at the porta-potty before the race???     That's a dang good time, considering the conditions!

moebo, what a gorgeous place to run! And a pretty speedy pace, too!  Well, it would be for me, anyway!  Not for Mike or Amy...

I did an easy 6 mile run this afternoon.  Planning my last long run before my next marathon for tomorrow.  My DH will be in town doing errands, so it's a good time to go for a long run.  He complains if I do long runs when he's home - seems to think I'm abandoning him or something, even though since we're both mostly retired, we're both  home all day...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SubDood

I ended up with a chip time of 3:03:09 but I feel like I could have gone under 3 if I hadn't had to use so much energy getting around people.

Okay--I'll stop my dang complaining.  Oh, no I won't--the worse thing of all--I never met Amy!!

Congrats, Mike! Great race, all things considered!

The 2 guys that have run all 40 MCM's both finished today. They interviewed one of them on NPR a couple days ago. He ran it one year not long after being shot several times.

And maybe I shouldn't mention this, but ... if the timing of my athlete tracker text alerts was accurate, you passed Amy about 4 minutes before you crossed the finish line.

moebo

Wild, to be honest, that's a pretty speedy pace for me, too.

I think it's pretty incredible that you are already ready to do another marathon!

Funny what you say about your DH complaining that you are abandoning him when you go on long runs. My BF doesn't put it that way, but I can tell he doesn't love it when I go out for too long, and that makes me feel really guilty (and, to be honest, sometimes a little resentful). This has become especially true over the past couple of years, because he has some chronic injuries and can only run once or twice a week now (to his great regret). The fact that I still work and he is retired hasn't helped much, either.  Last week we finally talked about it and agreed that I would go as long as I want on Sundays, but do my best to limit my time out the rest of the week.

Congratulations to Any on yet another AG win. Fantastic!

TomS - that was a lovely photo of your family last week.

moebo -gorgeous!

Tetsujin - wow, that is a lot of cycling you are doing, and I agree about the nice temps we have been having - perfect for running or cycling.

Mike - sorry to hear it took you so long to get to the start of the marathon.  What one is next for you - maybe it will be your sub 3?

coastwalker - sorry to hear about the timing issue,  Hopefully people will be understanding.

Deez - GOOD LUCK!!

I had a lovely weekend with Mr. Blue Eyes - doing nothing, just hanging out together, as he is still recovering from his surgery.  He did fix my electrical problem.  He was stumped (like Stumpy) at first as to where the problem was and what the issue was.  I went out for a run on Saturday - 7 miles, with lots of hills, it felt great but I was tired the last mile or two - my fitness has tanked due to not running much.  Anyway, when I got back, he had fixed the problem.  Yeah, he scored some points for that, not that he needs to score any more!

Two dumb things for me - I had not identified the correct circuit that switch was on (since there was not really any current no matter which breaker I flipped, and so I took a best guess), and I had not realized the electrical for that dimmer switch goes to the light first, then to the switch.  The issue turned out to be a little copper flap on the lamp that had gotten squished down so far it was no longer making contact with the blub.  D'oh.  Everything is working great now and I have a nice new dimmer switch I installed!

We went to see "the Martian" Saturday night.  Meh?  Not bad, not great.

Then a 5.3 mile walk this morning with BE and Remi.  My legs were tight and sore at the end of that - man, am I out of shape!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

moebo that is tough on a relationship when one person can no longer do, or has to drastically cut back on, an activity both halves of the couple enjoy.  When I was unable to run for two years I ended up acting as cheering section and photographer for my wife and her friends during their races.  It gave me a reason to be part of the action, made them happy to get pictures sort of a win all around.

SubDood I read nothing about the passing 4 minutes before the finish or anything else. 

My DW and I flew in from Murfreesboro TN this evening. Alas, my SIL's dogs did not do as well as one might have hoped.  The truth is her top dog is getting old.  His likely heir (or should that be fur? ) is not settling down the way a top agility dog needs to.  The dog has to pay attention to the trainer no matter what.  The young dog in the pack, Jem, gets distracted at meets by all of the activity.

I am thinking of trying to get in shape for the New Orleans marathon at the end of February.  But, the organizers are still fighting with the city over the course.  That is not encouraging.  A similar dispute with Denver this year led to a horrible course and the canceling of all future Denver marathons.  Also, what is with cities failing to support their annual marathon?  It brings in a ton of tourists and their families.  Plus, it brings in future business!  My DW and I would never have gone to Savannah absent a marathon there.  Now we want to go back.  Really, city officials and residents are so short sighted about this.  Yes, for some residents it is a pain for a few hours, but that is it and the benefits to the city are huge in comparison.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Lovely running place, Maebo.

MikeE, you are such a gifted runner. Congrats on your well run marathon. Sorry to hear that you did not meet Aamos.

Holly, I have been doing some yoga too...not easy, but very calming.

Another full weekend at the posie hut. Our annual harvest party with a few friends was on Saturday. Today I tried to fit in a 3 hour run just to enjoy the lovely fall weather. 16 miles total, six with the Easy Pacer. Most of the day was spent doing an online training on budgeting  for Housing Authorities. I really enjoy getting the tools under my belt to do my duties in my new job.

Wow, Enkie is running with BE...I smile over the thought of it.

Spareribs is in Seattle!!!!! in my state, but still 6 hours away. How sad is that.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

MikeE - I guess you not only missed amy but all the other sub-three runners and any 3:00 pace group it probably would have been fun to run with instead of bein’ by yourself all the time. Did you ever catch up to any of them?  
                                Finally gettin’ some rain this evening out in the PNW but not before 36 morning and early afternoon autumn miles became my longest cycling since the 2005 IMCdA. Good for the quads that’ll be getting a 12-hour workout with all the climbing and then descending some six or seven thousand feet or so at next Saturday’s Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run. Yippee.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)