Masters Running

City of Lomita Founders Day 10K RR (Read 257 times)

huskydon

Short version: Wanted to run 48:30, but it was so hot. Ran reasonably well, but finished in 50:59. Met BCMorant for the first time and dromedary (and her husband, Lew) once again. Bruce is such nice fellow as well, a wonderful addition to our SoCal group. I hope others can meet him, too. Long version: Course is flat, with two loops for the 10K. It was at least 75 degrees in the shade when we started and quite a bit hotter in the sun. Unfortunately, less than 10% of the course was in the shade. (When I got back to the car, it was 90 degrees). They encouraged 10K people to run the 5K if they were concerned about the heat. Fortunately, there was no humidity to speak of. I consider myself a good hot weather runner, but this was serious no kidding around heat. I held back pretty well, and things were on course for sub 50 the first few miles. Unfortunately, the race was 6 miles, not 4, and I faded the last couple miles. My splits: 7:48 / 7:58 / 8:12 / 8:07 / 8:36 / 8:42 /1:36 First loop: 24:45, Second loop 26:15 Not a PR, but a good effort considering the conditions. And I didn’t get hurt. This was a local race for me, which I thoroughly enjoyed. After the race, I was surprised to see one of my church friends (it is a bit of a drive for him). He had just turned 55 and scored a medal in the 5K. I came in 7th in my AG. (I might have been able to get hardware had I stopped after one loop). Surprisingly, the awards were five deep (there were 100 runners in the 10K and 225 or so in the 5K). This is a nice no frills local race with a modest $20 entry fee. Thanks for reading! huskydon

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hats off to a fine race and a good time....considering the hot conditions. Heat really takes a toll on the body, so your splits are no surprise....very fast 1st 5k and pace, although we would like to see that 7:48 at the end of the race, not the first mile....Ok, I do the same thing, lol. Glad you got to hook up with some RA buddies too. Good job, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Huskydon... Very nice adjustment fornthe heat and getting a great workout. I think when you said "And I didn’t get hurt" that was the best part! Nice race! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

Nice racing! I was thinking of you folks down in So Cal today - whether it be just out running or participating in a race and how unbearably hot it was. Your time is still a fast 10K to me, but then you are faster than me, so know you had the potential to go faster, but considering the weather, I'd say you ran a smart race. the heat was probably getting the best of you and that's why those last two miles seemed difficult. Still a very fine time for a 10K!

Tammy

#artbydmcbride

I was glad I wasn't racing today! Big grin Great job huskydon, you are seriously fast no matter what the conditions are. I am so glad you guys met up, and I envy you getting to meet BCMorant especially.

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

Let me echo Perch's comment, "and I didn't get hurt." Oddly enough, when it's really hot out there, the conditions are right for something to go wrong. I am glad you didn't do anything unwise. I just responded to Bruce's report. Sounds to me like there was a great gang of RA people there and I'm really glad you all got together and made some new friends. Well done Don. Spareribs
                Very nice meet up and race. Its fun meeting new people from RA isn't it Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

coastwalker

Hi Huskydon, Yikes! When it is in the 90's I want to hide out in my basement till things cool off! So my hat is also off to you for making the effort, running a fine race, and not getting hurt. Seems like you did a good job of adjusting to the rising temperatures as the race went along, which was a good thing to do in those kinds of temps. Greta job! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice racing huskydon. Running, never mind racing in the heat is no easy task. You ran strong and the fact that you didn't get hurt is wonderful. It sounds like this was a fun and well supported race. I am glad you met up with RAers and ran well. Congrats! Karin/CNYrunner
                      Yet another speedy race.... despite the heat!!!! Congratulations on a fine race! I'm sorry I missed this race.... sounds like a good one.... flat, small crowd, low price and 5 deep AG awards Smile
                        Good job in the heat, husky. It sounds like a good time with BC, dromedary, and other friends. Congratulations. TomS
                          hi huskydon, it was fun seeing you again at a local race. You ran very well considering the heat (I had no idea it was that bad until I read Bruce's and your RRs). It was nice meeting your friend from church, he seems really nice. I'm glad you are staying injury free -- you are running so well this year. Hopefully, the next race we do will be a cooler one.
                            Thanks for the report Don. It sounds like you ran well and the heat definitely was a reason to have the time that you did. You did a great job of staying within the conditions that were there to face. Sounds like it was a great meeting of friends, both new and old. Good job Joey
                            Vista
                              Great job in the heat..way to run. So nice of you to be able to meet other members from this board. I know how much of a treat that is. Congratulations on a fine race Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Marathon Maniac #957

Not a PR, but a good effort considering the conditions. And I didn’t get hurt.
                                Sounds like a winner of a race in my book - nice job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."