Masters Running

Weekly Newbies (Read 428 times)

Me

Hello Everyone, We are at 5 pages on the last thread and no one has logged on for a day and a half. So, time for a new thread. Great run this morning. I had to pull out the running pants and the fleece top (it was below 50). I threw in a few fartleks this morning. I think it went pretty well. I think I'm going to start doing some various speed workouts on Wednesday mornings. Although I have never done anything other than fartleks. (I love saying that - fartlek. fartlek Big grin ) I am thinking about trying some intervals. It may take me awhile to do those because it's something new and I don't quite understand the EXACT way to do them. So, I have to think and obsess about them for a few weeks. Cheers! Mike
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Mike, I don't think there's an exact science to it. I just do things like run half a lap fast, and then walk half a lap, and repeat 4 times. Then work my way up to one lap fast, half a lap walk/jog. You'll get the hang of it quickly. Not that I've done it lately! DS16 keeps reminding me that I need to... I did 5.8 miles yesterday, but walked a LOT (the 5.8 was the running part - I probably went 7.5 total). Oh, well, need carpy runs occasionally to make you appreciate the rest of them.
      stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi guys--was wondering who'd make the leap to a new thread. I'm still working on moving to 4 days a week, but i forgot the minor little detail that I'm taking the PE exam in NH on Friday so have a hour+ drive to be there at 7:15. Don't think I'm getting up early enough to run that morning. Then up to Maine to retrieve our dock that floated onto the neighbor's beach sometime over the last couple of weeks. Ought to be fun wading in the lake at this time of the year. That's why there's very little chance to get to the yarmouth race--don't think I'll be leaving home at 6am to get there. OK, Mike, I think you're officially a southerner. Long pants and fleece at 50? Weren't you used to winter before? I've decided anything that changes things up a little makes life more interesting. I've tried to do striders or fartleks (not exactly sure what the difference is, but fartlek IS more fun to say Big grin ) sorry to hear you guys with asthma are suffering with the colder air. that must be tough to deal with. this is the time of year that I love to run. i'm good down to about 10-15F before I start getting less enthuthiastic about going out. Of course, having people look at me like I'm crazy to be out has some appeal, too. Wink Off to bed--world series just doesn't thrill me any more. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck on the PE exam, Kevin! It seems like I was just taking it yesterday, but it was 18 years ago! We ran 2.5 miles of the Yarmouth race course this morning, but then my friend's pulled groin muscle hurt too badly so we stopped. We got coffee, and then I went back and ran the entire course again, plus a little extra, to make a total of 6 miles for the day. It was 30 degrees and windy, so I have to admit I was proud of myself for getting back out there. It was one of those days where you feel like you're floating, though, so it was worth it. I'll take tomorrow off to rest up for the race. My practice time was 32:20, so I'm going to aim for 30 minutes. Don't know if it's doable, but I'll try! It IS hard making 4 days a week - something always seems to come up!
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

sure wish I was doing it 18 years ago, too! Before i'd forgotten most of what I seem to need to know Roll eyes (and before my kids killed so many brain cells) Linda--doing a bit of lurking on KR at lunch today (any excuse not to study) and saw what was happening with your dad. I'm very sorry to hear that. He's diabetic? can't quite remember, but I think that's what you mentioned a while ago. watching a parent decline over a long time must be so draining. Best wishes to both of you. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hey guys, Thanks for moving us up Mike. Even down there the cold weather is here. Ugh. I dont think there is an exact way to run FARTLEKS. Just run them however you want. Kev, whats a PE exam? I am not going to even watch the series. But I am psyched about basketball starting up soon. CELTS! Hey Theresa, give us some winter running tips. I am so not a cold weather person. Any help I can get I will take. Some day I will move to Miami. But for now...looks like multiple layers. Thats Kim. Why? Because I havent ran all week and I am bored. So I post a pic of Kim. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Ok, I do have to clarify something, It was 43 degrees. and it was only a 100 weight fleece top. And I'm thrilled that its not going to get down to 10 below, like I ran in a few times last year. good luck on your PE exam Kevin. Where was I 18 years ago? I was teaching General Training at a nuke plant in Ohio, happily married with two young sons. I think I've lost a few brain cells since then too. Cheers Mike
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hey, Laurie, I posted on the winter thread you started. You have some real winter experts who can help you! I learn from them, too.
                  Rindaroo

Kevin - thanks. yes, he's had Type 1 diabetes for over 40 years... He's in the end stages now, and its horrible. The worst part is that I'm a 12 hour drive away. I didn't find out until last night that a doctor's appointment turned into rushing him into the hospital to do the surgery as soon as possible. Wish I was there...
                    lswife

Linda, I'm sorry about your dad, too. I'm type 2, diagnosed in summer of 07. Even for this short time, I've learned tons about this chronic disease, respect it and the destruction it does on our bodies, and feel kin to any other diabetics, and sad for the family members who have to sit by while the disease shuts our organs down (my husband's mother passed away at 60 from the complications of D). Roberta
                        Linda, my thoughts are with your family. ROberta, does running make the symptoms easier or keep the whole thing at bay? Mike and Theresa, thanks for the winter running tips. I never even thought of preheating my running clothes but thats a good idea. Today I changed out of the sweaty wet stuff there at the lake and drove home dry and warm. 3 miles today with no asthma probs. Will try 6 tomorrow. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Rindaroo

Laurie - glad to hear no asthma symptoms today. Mike - thanks for starting the new thread. Roberta - thanks, yes it is good to understand the destructiive nature of the disease. Really Type 2 is much more controllable than Type 1 & treatment of both diseases have come a long ways in recent years. So, that is good news for you. Not only have I watched someone live with it my whole life, but I always did school projects on Diabetes... guess Dad gave me some incentive. He made it through surgery, and is pretty out of it right now. I tried to talk to him last night, but he was pretty out of it. But, was able to talk with my stepmom some. After talking with her, I booked a flight for Thanksgiving weekend to see Dad & give her a break. Now on for happier news Smile I did run on Thursday 2 miles straight on the treadmill plus 1 mile of walking warmup & cooldown. This morning I went to the bikepath & did total of 3.2 miles, 2 miles of it straight running - woohooo! was able to slow myself down when I needed to today, instead of needing to stop & walk. Love that progress feeling Big grin Tomorrow will try to run after we go to a motorcycle poker run - DD & DH will be riding it.. DD is very excited Smile
                          lswife

Laurie - Running (any exercise 30 minutes a day) helps keep blood glucose lower, especially if a careful eating plan is followed. I try to go low-carb, but here I sit, finishing off 2 huge chocolate chip cookies. Exercise+eating right+ (for me) medication help delay the complications. Linda - Since you've followed D so long, you know how far the treatment has come just in your lifetime. In my short time with D, I look back to my MIL's treatment and know that was Dark Ages ago in dealing with this. I've tried to explain D (type 2 like I have) to others (close friends) who express serious interest as... 1. Foods we eat turn into nutrients and sugar (glucose) which go into our blood to keep our bodies healthy. 2. A healthy pancreas keeps sugar (glucose) in a person's blood normal. 3. My pancreas is only partly working and can't keep blood sugars normal. 4. Now I have to help my pancreas keep blood sugars normal by eating a bit differently, "a healthy way." 5. Eating "healthy" for diabetes is to limit anything with sugar or glucose (potatoes, rice, sugar, flour, some fruits, some veggies, what used to be called starches). 6. Now I read food labels to find out how many carbs are in one serving. 7. If I don't eat healthy and exercise daily, my blood sugar will be too high. High blood sugar will damage tiny blood vessels in my body and slowly... a. eyesight can fail. b. toes and feet can become numb, infection can begin which could lead to amputation. c. heart problems can increase. d. kidneys can fail e. life expectancy is shortened. That's a very simplistic explanation of D, but it's worked for several, helping them to understand the very basics, and - I hope - sort of scare them into taking better care of themselves.
                              Hi, guys. Sorry I'm back in semi-lurk mode again - already. I got this bright idea that I should take a class to bump myself up to the next level on the pay scale. Class two nights a week for 7 weeks sounded like a good idea at the time, but that was before the church gig 70 miles away happened, so I'm more swamped than I'd expected. I can manage the crazy schedule until early December, though. Had a super 7-mile run on the mainland near our shore "house" yesterday, then stayed up past 2 a.m. watching and celebrating the Phillies, so I was too pooped to do much of anything after church today. Well, I did manage a very short stroll on the boardwalk - to a pizza place Shocked - before my nap, but that hardly counts as cross-training. And here's a newsflash for all you "Eliz should be racing" fans: 5K next Saturday! Whoo hoo! Have a greta week, everyone, Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, good to hear from you and good for you on the race!! At least youre getting to the coast on a regular basis now. The Phillies looked good the other night. Did you stay up for the rain delay? Roberta, is life expectancy shortened if you cant maintain proper diet and health or just shortened altogether? Linda, didnt know you rode. Is it getting a little cold to ride there? Kevin, you never explained what a PE exam is. I did 6 strong hilly miles yesterday in nice weather. I probably was strong enough to go 13 but I am happy with my decision on the half. No asthma symptoms during yesterdays run but it was above 50 degrees. Then I ran to the car in the cold evening air last night at 6 flags and was short of breath and weezing while I got there. Laurie