Masters Running

Sunny Sunday's Daily, 4.12.15 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

'Mornin everyone.

Ribs, a big CONGRATS on your one-year anniversary! Best news of the day!

TW, I agree with Holly in that what you do is inspiring, and should never be considered embarrassing. Congrats on a closing date for the store, and on working toward locking in a surgery date.

Good pick-up on the "Chers," stumpy. Nice cake for dg too (HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DG!!)

That David is one talented kid (taking after his mom, no doubt), running and speaking like nobody's business. Very cool that he and 2 classmates earned spots at the Nationals! What Tet said about the $2G...

Aamos, congrats to you and DH in the 10K. I'm looking forward to seeing you (and the rest of the crew) in Somerville in a week.

Enke, that just goes to show how much of a difference a good teacher can make. Congrats to you (and Mariposai too) for good runs with sons.

Great photo (as usual) WC.

I got a few extra zzz's, but still got out the door at 4:45 for 10.1 RW miles this morning. I had decided on neither a route nor a distance before I left, so I just made it up as I went along. I enjoyed a beautiful sunrise, and seeing a few deer and lots of rabbits foraging for breakfast. There is still quite a bit of snow in the back yard, but the front is clear and dry, so I'll be doing a lot of clean up out there today. I did a little raking yesterday afternoon, and noticed our daffies are starting to poke their heads up to see if it's safe to come out.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BlazinCajun

Happy Days in the RIB's Family - Congratulations for the great check-up and news. Andrew

Andrew
      ------------------
      God, my Lord, is my strength;
      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
      and enables me to go upon the heights.
      Hb 3:19

...mornin' guys//....thanks for the Kind Words,

except sometimes I feel like the PosterBoy for DumA$$

also,

since tet is blaming his Running Career on me, I guess I'll Keep On Pluggin"

==========

50-min bikeride, 50's.........felt good,

scouted

out a Wide Road just up from my neighborhood,

feels Weird looking for places to Ride instead of Run

.............Claire played Miniture Golf yesterday,

called and told me she got a ''Hole''............turns out she meant a ''Hole in One''

I love kids.

.......................good running guys.........Congratulations to the Ribbs Crew......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Tet, it only seems like a lot of annual checkups because I have to have it done every six months. But the good news is that I have just one more 6 month check and after that it really will be annual. Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Tammy, I have spent $2,000 foolishly and I've spent it wisely, a number of times. This $2,000 will be the best you ever spent.  Congrats to David.

Good one Stumpy on the Chers.

TW, nothing embarrassing about it at all.  If anything, everyone else who sees you is inspired.  Hold your head up high.  Once the sale is completed, you can redirect your focus on doing exercise as you need it, when you can and take a load off your body.

Went out to the Lake for 8 miles today and it was sluggish, but the Saint surprised me and ran another mile, giving her 9 for the day. Not me. As they say, eight is enough.  Now to watch baseball this afternoon? Or the Monsters?  How about the Sox knocking off the Yankees in that long game the other night?

Jordan Speith went to Jesuit high school here in Dallas and we knew him down here long before he hit the big time. My son Hudson goes to Cistercian, the other Catholic preparatory school here. Jesuit is a huge school. Cistercian has just 40 boys per grade.  Spareribs

Great trail running wildchild and welcome home---loved all your photos from Greece!

I bet Maraposai has a perma-grin now and Tammy too---Go David!

It’s super to hear great health new from Ribs.

Beautiful sunny day here and we’ll likely hit 70º----Spring and winter are wrestling and spring is starting to win.

TW…..the embarrassed ones are the ones who won’t get out there and with far fewer obstacles than you. Good on you and here’s hoping pain free days are ahead in June.

Spent the morning looking up teammate results---Zion 100 miler, Paris marathon, Cape Cod 50k in Falmouth….inspiration aplenty for a nice run on the bike path for me. 14 miles easy in the warming air and lots of folks out on bikes, running, and just enjoying the good day. I met up with Spicy J and Canada J for the last few miles for a mini-Js reunion. Iron J is the one running the 50k at the Cape.

Hang in there Jay and I am sorry the volunteer work has been so frustrating----awesome race walking work and training though.

Very happy for the Providence College men’s hockey team as they beat Boston University for the national championship in hockey last night. They are clients so I am extra pumped for them—Go Friars!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon!

I was signed up to do the Xenia Marathon today, but when I decided to do the Carmel Marathon next weekend I figured I would do the half instead.  However, given that I am totally out of race shape, I decided not to run it at all, but to volunteer.  This is the first time I have worked a water stop and it kept us jumping.  Since the water stop was on the out-and-back portion, we still had runners at the back of the pack coming from one direction while the front runners were coming from the other.  Kept us pretty busy for a long time and saw a lot of familiar faces.  At one point, as I was climbing through the ditches off the bike path to pick up cups, lots of runners called out their thanks to me.  Felt great to give back.

5 miles for me after I finished.

ETA - Happy Birthday DG!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

,,,,HAPPY B'DAY DG//...........you are one of MY Inspirations.......

Run Smart.................if not, Run Happy//////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

mrrun

went out for dim sum with DS, DD & GD and somehow ended up running with DS in heat 68 degrees - and hills.  Been a long time since I said that, but hard to pass up running with one's DS - first or second time only as he's not a runner.  We ran on Commonwealth and the trucks were dropping off fences for next Monday's activity.

evanflein

Loved how Enke wrote about her son's teacher and the approach to running at his school. I was in that group who hated the "rite of spring" when the PE teachers sent us outside to run around the parking lot (no track back then). So nice to hear about your run with him, Enke. Love his enthusiasm!

Good to hear tomwhite can soon get that hip taken care of and recover without worrying about the store. I agree with what everyone else said about your commitment to keeping fit. Truly impressive.

Yay, Ribs! That is good news. And still so cool to have you and the Saint running together. She is doing great!

Nice run with your son, too, Mariposai. And Marj! One of these days I still hope that I'll be able to do that. Maybe when DS2 is home sometime...

Holly, I'm impressed. Good call on volunteering instead of running. You just did a 20 miler on little running so really best not to push it. And very good to give back. One of these days, I want to volunteer at the finish line of Equinox to see the leaders come in.

So, we got more snow last night. I'm not kidding. It's clearing up a bit and the sun is out now but we are supposed to get more snow and maybe rain later on. So NOT funny..... Good thing I was just planning on hanging around the house today. Maybe I'll get a run in later.

Tammy, congrats to your son.  ribs, great news at your checkup.  Tammy, nice racing.  tomw, you're doing fine. Amos & DH, good job in your race.  dg, happy birthday.

Nice long runs for wild, Twocat, and Holly.

Yesterday, I got a PR at a race.  It was the first 4 mile race I've done so it was an automatic PR.  The temperature was about 40°, there was a light wind, and it was sunny.  Before the race, I hoped I could finish with better than an 11 min pace.  My GPS gave me a time of 42:05, distance of 4.05 miles, and a pace of 10:23.  Results haven't shown up on line so I don't know my overall placing.  The results posted at the race had me 4/4 in my AG (70-74).  The 3rd place went to a friend who always beats me and ran a sub 9 min pace. The first and second place were right around an 8:30 pace.    There were probably 100-150 in the race and the 3 that beat me in my AG were in the top 25. Talk about a tough AG.  I'd considered going to another race, a 5K.  If I'd gone there and run the same pace, I would have been 2/6 in the 70+ AG.

Tomorrow, we're planning on being out the door at Jay o'clock to catch a plane to take us to Italy for a week.  I probably won't check in until I'm back.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Henrun

While Marj was running with her DS I ran 5 along the Charles. First warm spring day and the crowds were out. I had many smiles and waves from other runners. Guess everyone is happy that spring has finally come.

Looking forward to our Somerville 5K with Team Boomers and partay afterwards (oh, a marathon next Monday too).

Dave59

Good Afternoon!

I was signed up to do the Xenia Marathon today, 

The 41st anniversary of the Xenia tornado has just passed.  I saw a news story on it.  I went to school at Cedarville University and worked at a fast food restaurant in Xenia (The Red Barn).  I was there 4-5 years after the tornado and the Red Barn was in a brand new, rebuilt building after having been flattened.  There were still a lot of open grassy areas in town when I was there.

I can't see the word Xenia without thinking of greasy burgers, greasy chicken, and tornado stories from the locals.

I haven't been running this weekend.  Lots of work around the house yesterday and lots of relaxing today,

evanflein

I have a childhood friend who lives in Xenia, but I've never been there. I've heard other stories of tornadoes there more recently, too. Not sure I'd want to go visit.... tornadoes are one thing that just totally freak me out.

Nice racing, TomS! You can't cherry pick the all, ya know.

MTA: ran a hilly 6.38 miles this afternoon, kinda muddy and sloppy at the start then DH picked me up at the bottom of our road so I didn't have to deal with the trip back up the hill. Overcast and kind of chilly, but the sun came out later and we spent time on the deck with the cats. Can't wait till it really warms up and we don't need jackets out there!!

Sayhey! MM#130

!Congratulations Tom!

Say,  I pretty much agree with what Erika said.

running out of battery. ....bringing Sox shirt for Somerville run and party!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good job, holly
                                fantastic job, ribs-on-a-roll.
                                WTG TomS,
                                if you come out here to the PNW,
                                there’ll be two of us most of the time
                                and you’ll always get first place.
                                Dave - I’ve seen those same kind of the grassy empty lots and fields but by a tsunami that happened four years ago.  Because of major coastal land subsidence too low to sea level, it’s probably going to be the same in 50 years too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)