Masters Running

Monday March 23 Runs and stuff (Read 677 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good morning! DG – I was so happy to read the joy in your post yesterday. I’m so glad the PT is helping. But please be careful! You do a lot of x-training after your runs. Mariposai – I love the picture yesterday - you look stunning! Wildchild – happy sweet 16 to your DD. Eliz4015 – how exciting! Good luck with your training. Aamos – it’s great to see you running again. 3 recovery miles for me today, plus some core work. Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Good Morning Holly......Your getting an early start ! Great Weekend. All the kids had an absolute blast.......which includes the adults that thought they were kids! On Sat I got out for a short run with my youngest sister. She's only been running regulary for about 45 days. I told her to set the pace and I'd just follow. We did a 3.3 mile out and back at a 9:06 pace. We held a conversation the whole way........pretty damn good for someone just starting out ! Sun I got a solid 11.55 miles. Took a self guided tour of the Wisconsin Dells, lots to see. So much in fact that I really didn't realize how hilly it was until we left town and drove part of the route. I haven't downloaded the garmin yet but the elevation graph ought to be interesting. I need to go back and get caught up.......great runs to all ! The Kids: See if this works Wow....Cool Mine are the two Girls on either side of my Mom and the oldest boy.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy Modnay! I was out for a slow 2 miles this morning. I'm going to try and do this on Monday's and Friday's just to see how it goes for a while. It was kind of spooky out there this morning, the wind was howling and making some of the trees rub against each other. The sounds were erie. 10:43 avg. pace / 152 avg. HR It is hard for Brinkley to only run 2 miles. When we got home he kept bugging me, rather than plopping down for a post-run nap. I also did 300 crunches and 49.5 pushups before B'Nellie noticed and knocked me down. Big grin Congratulations Eliz on taking the Marathon Plunge!! How exciting!! Slo - Your Wisconsin Dell run sounds great! Thanks for starting us off today Holly - you continue to amaze with your cross training. Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone Smile Thanks for the start off Holly, and I too am always impressed with your X Training...I don't have the patience I suppose. Also, way to get your last 20 miler done...hope you have a good taper now leading to your upcoming Marathon. Woo Hoo Slo...ya figured out the picture posting thing. Think it was cool you running with your younger sister...your right, pretty darn good pace starting out. Nice 11 plus miler too, and what a great picture...thanks for sharing. Mary, why the 2 miles on Mon and Fridays...just curious as inquiring minds like to know. You say Holly amazes you with her cross training then you add "I also did 300 crunches and 49.5 pushups" . Greta job there girl, but 49.5 push ups...was that doing as many as you could and end doing a 1/2 one. I didn't get to post my runs over the weekend so shortly - Sat - 12.5 easy miles - 1:55:25 - 9:14 ave pace - longest run since last Nov 1st Smile Sun - 7.5 easy miles - 1:07:28 - 9:00 ave pace. With Sundays run I ended up with a surprising 50 miles for the week, and some good cycling too. The only reason I could run 50 miles so soon is, I have slowed waaaay down which allows me to run more miles without much stress really. Hope everyone has a good day, and week Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning, everyone! Still recovering from the weekend's activities. 3.1 miles, 29:17, 9:20/mi, AHR 130 (67% MHR) Great picture, SH! Speaking of pictures -- I posted a couple of Tramps near the end of his race report -- I'm still ecstatic for him (and a bit envious) Smile And there are more at http://www.pbase.com/lking/nationalhalf09 including some folks we met from RA (not Masters, though), and one of Adrian Fenty (DC mayor) finishing with a 3:25 (Tramps beat him by 6 seconds, though).

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Morning Everyone, Nice family pic Steve, Holly and Mary, easy miles are always the best miles. I am taking a day off today. Ran Shamrock yesterday and I have that whole body fatigue that comes from pushing just a bit too hard for too long. I can't really write a race report other than the weather was perfect, the course was flat and the post race celebration was topshelf. I was running at 3:30 pace until mile 21. The wheels starting coming off the bus at mile 23 and I have to admit I walked through a couple of water/gatorade stations at that point. I didn't cramp up or suffer from some debilitating pain, I just ran out of ....ooommmpfff. The finish is right on the beach we got a huge finishing medal, hat and goodie bag with coupons for 4 Yuengling draft beers. The Irish stew inside the post race pavillion was salty and warm. The band played a variety of music that mad the atmosphere quite festive. I finished with a solid middle of the pack 3:36:55 chip time. Not my best, and far from my worst; I was pleased with my time, but was more pleased that I finished without injury. All in all not a bad way to spend a Sunday!! Well happy monday to everyone and good luck on your running today. Karl
                "Mine are the two Girls on either side of my Mom and the oldest boy."
                Slo-Hand, I predict you're going to pay for that one! (Love the picture!) Sleep in day for me, recovering from yesterday's "spirited" 20 miler. I need this one day a week to sleep in. Somehow I need to figure out how to get another day's running in (an MLR preferably) while maintaining all the cross-training days (and my sleep in day!) Hmmmm ..... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good morning, all! Holly - thanks for the kickoff! SLO - very nice photo of ths kids! Karl - nice race even though you didn't hit your goal time - injury free is good! 12.5 miles on the trail yesterday morning- it snowed briefly, but no accumulation. I've heard a rumor that spring is here, but you couldn't prove it by our weather. 20 degrees this morning with a stiff wind, so it was back to the TM for 6 miles. Core and weights on the plate for lunch. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good morning everyone Smile I With Sundays run I ended up with a surprising 50 miles for the week, and some good cycling too. The only reason I could run 50 miles so soon is, I have slowed waaaay down which allows me to run more miles without much stress really.
                    Wow - Tim is back! A 50 mile week for a guy who a little over a month ago wasn't running at all. You've worked so hard Tim, great job. Congratulations to Eliz on her big decision. I hope your training goes well and stays injury-free. I also wanted to compliment Mariposai on the great picture yesterday - what an attractive couple! And Slo_Hand, nice looking family! Are any of your kids old enough to drive yet? Intervals for me today. A mile warmup followed by 30 minutes alternating at 6.3 rest, 7.2 work, 2 minutes of each. Finished with a mile cool-down and 5 minutes jumping rope, then some core exercises. Bill - nice that you slept in this morning. After all the hard training, you deserve it! Mary - nice job getting out in the wind and cold this morning. I chickened out and used the dreadmill! Have a great Monday everyone.
                      3.5 frozen miles this morning---12º and the sound of crying crocuses and shivering robins. No watch and really easy pace. All systems go. Great photos Slo. Mariposai---you are a stunner. The photo of you and your love is great. I registered for the NYC marathon yesterday as I keep moving in a forward direction. Yikes. Good running Holly! Rest up Karl----you did well even without the wheels. Off to my desk for a day of writing and editing.

Renee the dog

Diverdoc, Ooohhh! A mini-Shamrock report! THANKS! It's my target race next spring. So, I've finally decided to commit to a plan for my fall marathon. I'm going with Matt Fitzgerald's Level 1 Marathon plan in Brain Training for Runners. I wanted to do Level 2, but decided I'll pick that up after the Nov. marathon and use it to get ready for Shamrock. I found the book interesting, but it was when he broke down his shoe advice, I decided that he might really be the "coach" for me. He manged to see the whole spectrum of possibility out there and distilled it into 4 bullet points. That really appealed to me. Smile Anyway, this means that once I'm done my 10K in May I have two weeks of fartin' around time before I begin his training (24 week program that I have to stretch to 25 weeks 'cause of travel). Two weeks of rest in May at the beach. Darn my life is rough. Wink (It'll likely rain for 2 weeks....)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

Slo-Hand, I predict you're going to pay for that one! (Love the picture!) Sleep in day for me, recovering from yesterday's "spirited" 20 miler. I need this one day a week to sleep in. Somehow I need to figure out how to get another day's running in (an MLR preferably) while maintaining all the cross-training days (and my sleep in day!) Hmmmm ..... Bill
                          Bill That is my Mom..LOL That's my Parents with all the Grandchildren taken this summer. Jlynne......I have two teenage Drivers Shocked

Marathon Maniac #957

Slo_Hand – beautiful family! Mary – what Tim said....300 crunches is huge! WRFB – thanks for the pics. CNYrunner - thanks for helping tweak my taper - looks great! Diverdoc – many of us can only dream of a finishing time like that – great job!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Diverdoc, Ooohhh! A mini-Shamrock report! THANKS! It's my target race next spring. So, I've finally decided to commit to a plan for my fall marathon. I'm going with Matt Fitzgerald's Level 1 Marathon plan in Brain Training for Runners. I wanted to do Level 2, but decided I'll pick that up after the Nov. marathon and use it to get ready for Shamrock. I found the book interesting, but it was when he broke down his shoe advice, I decided that he might really be the "coach" for me. He manged to see the whole spectrum of possibility out there and distilled it into 4 bullet points. That really appealed to me. Smile Anyway, this means that once I'm done my 10K in May I have two weeks of fartin' around time before I begin his training (24 week program that I have to stretch to 25 weeks 'cause of travel). Two weeks of rest in May at the beach. Darn my life is rough. Wink (It'll likely rain for 2 weeks....)
                              nono... funny. I just read that section again this morning. was wondering if you'd liked his chapter on injuries. I'll take another look at that plan. brought the book to work today. except now I"ll be so busy feeling sorry for you... don't know how I"ll get much done. Roll eyes Holly, thank you. You're right & that's a good reminder. I had a long talk with me this morning. -). I almost went from my first good run in a long time to blowing it all in the same day. Today I"m being really careful, & might even switch tomorrow's run for the elliptical. Which will be a good lesson for me. Wink. Karl, glad you had such a nice Sunday. Slo--- nice picture! Very nice family. but I keep getting distracted by summer in bloom. Sue, I was just thinking about you this monring. How are you?
                              dg.

p.s. nono... is that the marathon we talked about running with Jdmom? (er, should I say, behind her? me, being way behind. ) Karin... yay! 30 min carefully selected pt & core exercises this morning.