Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 6.6.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Quick post of random thoughts today:

If it isn't ticks, it's mosquitoes or air pollution or tornadoes or drought or hurricanes: No matter where you go, there is always something to worry and/or complain about. If ticks are the worst we've got, we're doing OK.

We leave some dry food out almost all the time for Minnie (the cat). But she still wants her canned food on schedule, which is one of the many reasons I'm up at 4am. I'm glad that Goofy is OK, but am sorry that it cost so much to find that out.

Starr, our painted rain barrel auction is tomorrow. We are also installing 2 demonstration rain gardens at the town library. Thankfully, DPW came to the rain garden site yesterday and dug out about 12" of grass and soil in each garden bed. It sure did go a lot quicker with a backhoe! However, everyone who comes tomorrow will get to help prepare the rest of the bed and help with the planting.

We're finding out how unhappy a household can be when the hot water heater isn't working properly. We replaced one thermostat on the hot water heater a couple of months ago. Now we'll replace the other one. I sure hope that works!

No workout today - I was too tired, so I went back to sleep for a bit - after feeding Minnie!

I'm wishing good luck and fleet feet to all of this weekend's racers . Taper time is OVER (sorry Tet) and now the fun begins!!

06/07 Ileneforward - Wrigley River Run 10k, LB CA

06/07 Mariposai- Winthrop Marathon, Winthrop, WA

06/07 TammyinGP - Moon Tree Run 10K, Cave Junction, OR

06/07 HollyS - Another Dam 50K, Englewood, OH

06/07 fatozzig - Grasshopper Peak Redwoods 30k Run, Humboldt Redwoods State Park, CA

06/07 irishguy - Newburgh Half Marathon, NY
    06/08 Marj - Newton half marathon with DD and DIL

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Wow, some serious racing going on this weekend!  Good luck and have fun, everyone!  (And special shout out to our new RAer, irishguy!  Be sure to post a race report, and a picture if possible.   Maybe one where you tie your jacket around your waist. Wink

C-R, that was one fast mile.  I was thinking when you posted about it before you ran it that it sounded torturous (I'm a slow twitch type).  Glad you had fun.

Hope you have a super time with your family, Mike.  I'm getting excited about heading north...fly in Thursday to the Cities and driving to Duluth, then back early Sunday morning.  Haven't decided if I'll drive down late Saturday or very early Sunday am.  Staying with a running buddy from Rapid City who moved to Duluth and started a family; she's just getting back to distances, so is doing the half.  She's very fast.

Where's that butterfly Dave posted?  I thought you were going to claim it , Nancy.  It's you!

Glad Goofus is ok.        for the bill.

LOL at your take on the assistant's job ad, Steve.

Got in some serious bridge work last night, 4 round trips, with a mile before and after, so 10 total at 8:40 pace (the downhills help so much with that!).  Happily went out this am on cruise control, 10+ minute pace for  five frivolous Friday fun miles.  Beautiful morning.  Our track club fun run (5K) is tomorrow am at the Twins' spring training/minor league park.  It's not timed, but we get our singlets and free tickets to the game that night (and there's fireworks after that).  Must go map out how to get long run to work so I end up at the run for the last 3 miles of it.    This involves math but I've had my coffee, so it should work out .

Sally forth and sail on to Saturday!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Jay and AAmos and all to follow!

1.25 miles for me this morning with some striders.

Tomorrow will be my 5th running of Another Dam 50K, and the best weather forecast yet:  59 at the start, 82 for the day's high, but fairly low humidity.  I'll be running it with three local girlfriends, Tara, Renee and Carissa, and this will be the first 50K for Renee and Tara.  Looking forward to a great run in the woods!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Steve P. great commentary on the help wanted ad that was placed by your boss!  I am still chuckling about it.

Good luck to our many racers this weekend.  As for me, I gave the elliptical a shot this morning and all seems fine.  If my leg remains that way it will be off for some actual running tomorrow.  In the meantime, we have guests coming over tonight that I hope to run with tomorrow.  I still need to go out and get the ingredients for tonight's dinner.  If I am also going to get some work done I better get moving!  Menu:  watercress and roast cauliflower salad, Chris's chicken (see my Allrecipies page for what it is, rotisserie but better!), farro with braised greens and for dessert Irish brown bread and cheese.  Tomorrow's menu is go out for post run vitals!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Good morning gang.

Jay, it is so cool to see how active you and your DW are in your community.

Aamos, snork..enjoy your math session.

Holly, have fun at your 50k tomorrow. How fun to have friends to do it with.

Twocat, great news about your leg doing better. I am so jealous of your guest. They are in for a real treat this weekend.

Today is the last day for taper torture!!!!! hurrah!!! Tomorrow is Winthrop marathon. The best part of the race is going to be seeing and running a few miles with Fjordrunner and her husband (they will join me for about 4 miles).

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

5 miles today, 4 of them running, which is another first. Then a core workout at the Y.

So I'm feeling pretty good today because last night I roasted cauliflower, just as Aamos did, and I see Twocat has a recipe for it also.

Mine is like this.  You cut up the cauliflower into small pieces and roast it at 450 on a baking sheet, along with 1 T. of celery seed, s. and p., and a bit of olive oil.  Then when cooled you combine it with cooked pearl barley, a small head of radicchio, some chopped manchego cheese and 2 oz. of salami.  It is VERY good.

And now I am at the end of my planned retirement series and suggest that....

you can retire to Florida where... 1. You eat dinner at3:15 in the afternoon. 2. All purchases include a coupon of some kind -- even houses and cars. 3. Everyone can recommend an excellent cardiologist, dermatologist, proctologist, podiatrist, or orthopedist. 4. Road construction never ends anywhere in the state. 5. Cars in front of you often appear to be driven by headless people.

Spareribs

Good luck to the racers!!  I promised Coach that I will be using the 30k as a support LR.  In other words, keep the HR in check.

If Chico had access to food 24 hrs a day, he'd explode.  And as with Jay's Minnie, it's all about the schedule of the canned food, which is mixed with the dry.  Have tried the ole "lock 'em out of the bedroom" a couple of times, and our door took the brunt of the hostility.  Cat control with 5 cats = the cats control the people.

I had planned to get up and do some core/ST this morning, but The Hub and I were both awake half the night because of allergies - mostly due to his.  Poor guy.  We finally got to sleep around 3:00.

Looks like my dad will be staying with us for a few days and has my car again today.  I'm contemplating walking the 6 miles home after work.  It sounds good right now at 9:15.  I'm thinking come 4:30, the idea won't be as appealing . . .

Have a great weekend ~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Nice day for a rest day Jay.

Good luck at the 50k Holly. One day I'll make it over there for that one but its right at the end of soccer season and we always play a tournament.

Nice ribs. One step at a time.

That's a long walk home. Hope the weather is agreeable.

Great workout Amy. Free Twins tickets and a 5k. Nice double header.

Ran my usual 10k at lunch and my legs reminded me about last night. It was a good sore feeling. You know what I mean. Put a smile on my face.

Good luck racers.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

I jogged over to the gym, did a workout, and jogged back.  2.36 miles total and my hamstring seemed ok.  I've been working on my glutes and quads at the gym as well as using the foam roller.  It seems to have helped.

Work has decided to kick off a bunch of initiatives that they would like done by the end of the year.  I'm glad I had my semi-physical & mental meltdown in March and I am back to my laid-back self I was in my 20's.  None of this bothers me like it would have 3 months ago.

Mariposai

Ribs, great news about the 4 miler today. Thanks for the recipe. I will try it this weekend since I have some manchego I need to use up.

Dave, kicking off a few initiatives is good, right?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

'm glad I had my semi-physical & mental meltdown in March and I am back to my laid-back self I was in my 20's.  None of this bothers me like it would have 3 months ago.

Good for you, Dave 

I've seen recipes for roasted cauliflower.  May have to try them.  See if one will convert me into a cauliflower fan, 'cause right now - meh.

C-R - It's beautiful here today.  Just gorgeous ~~~  If I trusted myself on a bike, I would've biked to work today.   . . . . Okay, that's a lie.  I wouldn't have, 'cause then I would've had bike helmet hair.  Not something I'm willing to sport for an entire work day.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...Welcome Aboard to Irishguy/////

..........and

I see Ribbs is now trying to antagonize ALL 50-states>>>>>Bless His Heart

===========

......not much

going on here,

just waiting out another FlareUp

..........PoolRun tomorrow.......ohboyohboy

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

..........and

I see Ribbs is now trying to antagonize ALL 52-states>>>>>Bless His Heart

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Fletch

OK, I'll fess up...Like Irishguy, I've been lurking here for a few days.  Wasn't going to join in this soon, but Spareribs scared the hell out of me with his "dollar a day" rule.  If I lurk much longer without posting, I'll need to break out the check book!

I have been, and will continue to post regularly with my great friends in the "50 and over..." group.  But I'm always looking for new friends, too.  After all, you never know when some of them may get tired of listening, right??

Started running in September, 2013, partly because my dog Brady was tired of going so slow on our walks.  But mostly because I knew I needed to do something to keep myself active.  DW doesn't run, but we do quite a bit of hiking, and we do take the dogs for daily walks (anywhere from 1-3 miles).

Ran my first 5k in December (31:39), and have run three more since then, with the last one at 26:54 this past March.  Was up to about 20-25 miles per week, but have had to back down recently because of a work overload.  Upcoming US Open golf tournaments have, and will keep me busy until the end of June.  I'm trying to maintain 10-15 miles per week until things settle, and will then start a training plan for a 10k, and possibly a half marathon in the fall.

Ran 3.25 miles this past Tuesday, and 4 miles Thursday.  Skipped Wednesday, and instead had a mojito and a daiquiri to celebrate National Rum Day, but then realized it was RUN day, not RUM day.  Oops.

So there's my quick story.  If I can join in, great.  If you've heard enough, say so...I'll go lurk somewhere else.

Fletch

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Based on your first and last paragraphs, it would appear that you'll fit in just fine.   Welcome!

3.1 sweaty miles this morning.  The weather report of last night said 96% humidity this morning and it was at least that.  A little better pace and hoping for a little longer over the weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.