Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 8.7.14 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I NEVER answer political surveys because I don't know how or by whom the responses are going to be used, and I don't trust political organizations, regardless of their affiliation. I also hate surveys that don't let you qualify an answer, because there is almost always a "but" that goes with an answer. And I hate surveys that require you to answer every question (with something other than N/A), even if the subject has nothing to do with your experience. I like having an odd number of possible responses to a question because sometimes my experience on an issue is exactly that - neither particularly good nor particularly bad. And I like giving answers in a phone survey that I know are not in their script, and listening to them try to figure out how to handle that.

Tramps, I've also never been head-butted by a dog, but it seems a lot better than a bite.

Nice recovery run, Dave. I'm glad you like the election results. I won't say anything to Cindy either...

Nice duathlon yesterday, Deez. Welcome home!

Your photo may not be what you wanted it to be, Marj, but it's still a terrific shot. Congrats on your swim at Walden, and your 9-miler yesterday.

I'm so very glad that you're still safe, Mariposai. Congrats on starting your day with a nice 6 yesterday.

A sore toe likely isn't the kind of remembrance you intended to bring back from San Fran, Aamos. I'm glad the Sketchers are helping till the nail decides what it wants to do.

There's nothing wrong with sharing an honest opinion, Ribs.

Tet, I would take one of your surveys! 

Mike, I'm still waiting for my results from our 2011 Senior Games to be posted. Congrats on great finishes in the 100 and 1500!

Roch, running 'naked' every once in a while is very liberating.

Great running in cinder blocks, Enke. 

Good luck in today's 5K, C-R!

Great job on your intervals, Twocat.

Nice coffee-less easy run, BTY. For me, coffee is a great post-workout reward. Bam!

Busy day for you yesterday, TomW!

Sounds like you do have a taper plan, Evanflein, even if it isn't a formalized plan. I do and don't hope you break that rain record...

Tet said the "S" word in August!

I survived yesterday's meetings, but barely. It was an exhausting day! I poured myself half a glass of wine when I got home, and barely finished that before dragging my sorry butt to bed. Despite gorgeous workout weather this morning, I went back for more sleep after feeding the cat. Later, while enjoying my first cuppa coffee, the cat and I watched a bat squeeze out from behind the wood-burning stove insert in our fireplace and begin to soar around the den. The cat loved it! Me - not so much. I opened a nearby slider and window, got a broom, and then went to close as many inside doors as I could to limit where the bat could go. When I got back to the den, the cat was staring at the window, and there was no bat to be seen. After a while, I assumed it flew out the window, so I closed the window and slider . Then resumed enjoying my coffee till it was time to wake up DW and tell her about the morning's excitement.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, Jay.  Glad to have the recap back.  Assuming the fact that your DW slept thru the bat visit, that there was no screaming or crashing as part of it.

a somewhat leisurely 10K (just over an hour) with 2 laps around the lake this morning.  Temperature down to 62 and less humidity made for a pleasant run.  Not QUITE ready for s###, but another 20 degrees wouldn't bother me too much. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Whew, I forgot how hard it is for me to keep up with all the activity around here. What I've realized is that back when I was active every day in this forum, I was doing 99% of my posting from work, where I was in my cubicle all day and often without much pressing work to do (or at least work that I wanted to do!). Now that I'm retired, it's hard to sit down at the computer for long when I can see the sun shining outside the window behind me. Not that I'm going to get much sympathy about this "problem" :-).

Erika, I know what you mean about those customer surveys. A service rep at my car dealer used to prime me in advance to give them a top rating since "anything less than 10 is a failure," which sort of defeats the purpose IMO. So one time they messed something up, I gave them an "8", and the guy called me in a panic like he was about to be fired. But at least they took care of it.

My DW and I went on a very interesting "urban garden" tour in downtown Detroit yesterday evening. They had 6 full buses, with 2 buses each on three different routes. The gardens we visited and the people tending them were interesting, but it was also interesting to see the neighborhoods that we went through, most of which I had never been to before. A mix of nice, well-maintained houses; run-down but occupied houses; vacant or burnt-out shells; and large open areas where houses have been removed. And sometimes all of this within a couple of blocks! But much of it really does look like it's on the comeback trail, and the use of the new open spaces for gardens and small-scale farming is really catching on. The urban soup kitchens and other charities now get a lot of food that is grown right within the city limits.

No running today, but our club has a 5K/10K race to put on this evening at our namesake park and I'll be working registration as usual. It's such a nice day that I'll probably take my bike out there a few hours early and put in some miles before we have to get to work setting up for the race.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tramps

Good morning.

Tramps, as a self proclaimed expert in odd behavior, I would say that is odd behavior. I'm relieved the dog wasn't a biter.

Somehow I take comfort in that.  He really nailed me good.  I iced my leg last night but I could still feel it a bit during this morning's run.  I'll definitely be keeping a close eye out for him from now on.

Drove to a park this morning for a 6-miler with 4 tempo miles in the middle.  I slowed down the tempo miles from what I'd been trying to do and--surprise!--it went much better.

Be safe. Be kind.

BlazinCajun

Hard to believe someone mentioned snow. The snow that we get down here usually freezes and requires shoes with spikes to run. I digress.

Jay - thanks for the summay

Rochrunner - luck on your race this evening

Tramps - I had an experience with a dog on a tether nip me in the calf. Usually dogs and I have an understanding so things go well most of the time. Good job on the tempo run.

Stumpy77 - Those are nice temperatures

Forgot - 20 minutes easy, 20 minutes interval, 20 minutes easy - done. Check!

Andrew
            ------------------
            God, my Lord, is my strength;
            he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
            and enables me to go upon the heights.
            Hb 3:19

Dave59

Just an easy 3-miles for me this morning.  I am taking the afternoon off to spend one last day with Annabelle before she heads back to Florida tomorrow.  I am not having much luck concentrating on work this morning, but I think I can fake it for a couple more hours.

Henrun

Nice summaries from all, especially Jay.

Rochrunner-I know what you mean about retirement and beautiful weather. I've had a mild ankle sprain the last few days and paced back and forth wanting to go out and play. Today it felt better and I finally got out for 2.5 miles. My chronic R knee is better-no brace for last 2 runs-keeping my fingers crossed and continuing my stretches.

Last night we went to see a new musical that has been receiving a lot of media hype-'Finding Neverland'-about James Barrie and the making of Peter Pan. It turned out to be better than the hype, an old fashioned musical that can be enjoyed by all ages, as evidenced by the number of children at the performance. It's still in previews and hasn't been reviewed yet. Definitely worth seeing-it'll probably head to Broadway after it finishes its run in Boston.

pfriese

School start is imminent!

On this mornings 10 mile run: I saw the cross country team having a meeting in the park pavillion; when I passed the football field, I saw the football team doing drills; when I passed the gymnasium, the doors were open and volleyball practice was getting started; and when I passed the high school parking lot, the marching band was practicing there. On my way back home, the cross country team was at mile 3 of a 9 mile run. This cross country team are a great bunch of young athletes. I've seen most of them out running this summer either in groups or singly. Always polite, friendly, and encouraging to one another and me. This morning the lead pack guys greeted me with a "you're killing this hill" , then the lead pack girls with their cheerful good mornings, followed by the mid and trailing pack with smiles and runners waves. I stopped by the park pavillion to get water and visited with their coach for a few minutes about what great kids she had running this year. Then I did the 1 mile cool down run back to the house.

Paul

mta: also saw the fastpitch softball team out practicing this morning.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning, everyone!

Sayhey, and Bam!...I had my coffee this am AND a 2015 Get-Together Idea. 

There's a half marathon in November, around Veteran's Day, and it's in New England.  I just happen to know it is a very well-directed race and also benefits a great cause.  And with over a year to plan, we could mayhaps get a significant bunch of us to attend, yes?

Here's a quote from the website:

"Caring for the coast, one step at a time" is our motto. Each year, we donate 100% of the net proceeds to a mindfully selected seacoast non-profit organization. We strive to put on a well-organized and safe event that highlights the beauty of New Hampshire's historic seacoast. We encourage all level of athletes to enjoy themselves while also providing them an opportunity to significantly benefit our community.

And for all the details, the website itself: http://www.seacoasthalfmarathon.com/index.html

And yes, you just might recognize someone........<<waving at coastwalker!!>>

What do you think?

A. Great, let's do it!

B. Um, let's see what Jay thinks first?

C. Sure, so long as Ribs, twocat and Mari attend and cook/bake.

D. Other: _______________________________________________

Good time at the H&H Fit2Run (anyone else have this chain in their neck of the woods?) fun run last night.  Pre run, warm up miles were 10:05 and 8:50, then got with the other runners and went 8:02; 7:44 and 7:23.  Greta how just being with folks brings out what you don't think you've got.

Merry Thursday, and grins, A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

What do you think?

A. Great, let's do it!

B. Um, let's see what Jay thinks first?

C. Sure, so long as Ribs, twocat and Mari attend and cook/bake.

D. Other: _______________________________________________

All the above!  Plus, I'll probably do it regardless.  I've done it three of the past four years and loved it.  I'll miss it this year since it's the week before Richmond.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks for the fun comments about surveys yesterday. The small instrument I put together yesterday was simply to get a group of learners to discuss what they were doing regularly and what they don't do at all.  So no scoring, no retention of responses, and therefore no concerns on my part about statistical accuracy, validity or any of that academic stuff.  As to polling numbers, anyone know my alma mater?

An easy 3.4 miles this morning with the Saint in the park.  I was tired today for some reason, but I need only 10 more to get 35 in this week, over the next two days.  Back to work.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tet said the "S" word in August!

whoops.

I think I must’ve been thinking of the “S”unshine Erika deserves in this last month of their rainy summer and certainly never intended to raise the spectre of the often-sudden arrival of winter freezing the northland up there tight as a drum starting next month  sorry.

peregrine falcon

(if it works)

http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails?s_it=imageDetails&q=peregrin+images&img=http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.5607810.1109/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg&v_t=keyword_rollover&host=http://www.redbubble.com/people/steffik/works/3021109-peregrin-falcon&width=181&height=121&thumbUrl=http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2FmcL9jAJZxNutHrmuDL__hFeB_WgAdZHR2TDxh4BN4-plYU18az4iDn6:ih1.redbubble.net/image.5607810.1109/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg&b=image?q=p=imageResultsBack&v_t=keyword_rollover&oreq=c9dfec3213154b2eb72db93505a25266&imgHeight=367&imgWidth=550&imgTitle=Peregrin+Falcon+by+Stefanie&imgSize=45730&hostName=www.redbubble.com

Jay - not a bat but a peregrine falcon was sitting at the top of the stairs yesterday. Not that I’m worried about tripping and falling while walking up a simple flight of nine stairs but I wasn’t looking up until all-of-a-sudden coming eye-to-eye with a majestic grey and mottled falcon.  Very large, I thought it was an immature eagle at first as she burned her eyes into me (females are larger than males), almost daring me to take another step. I instantaneously froze, wondering what was going on, if I was going to get attacked with outspread talons and that scalpel-sharp, hooked-down beak I'd never seen so close-up before. Having friends who’ve died in the wild over the years, I even wondered if it was going to happen to me by a bird to the neck.
                          It was a Mexican standoff until I noticed the extended tip end of a thorny blackberry vine seemingly entangled under the right wing.  Though otherwise motionless, those eyes followed my hand moving in slow motion to pick it off, as it did, easily falling away with just a slight touch.  No, that wasn’t why she wasn’t flying away. 
                          Momentarily, the majestic wings spread out to their maximum four feet, showing an apparent break on the left side. 
                          I've been across tense negotiating tables before but I’ve never experienced such eyes boring into me like that, not blinking, not removing their focus for an instant. It will be eyes honing in on the earth below for possible prey I’ll hereafter be thinking of whenever a peregrine is occasionally seen soaring above on high. In this regard, I recalled somehow that they had diving speeds of 175mph or more (actually up to 242mph) but did not know peregrines inhabit everywhere on earth except Antarctica and New Zealand.
                          So sorry not to have had my zoom camera handy for a picture into those eyes but the image in my mind is as permanent for me as any picture ever could be. Maybe, one of the neighbors captured it on a cell phone or something.  It still has me more shaken up, if not scared, than in the awe I would have otherwise expected.

It took the next three hours for animal control to come out but our visitor moved naught, patiently waiting whatever was next in store in her fate.  I hope the local raptor rehabilitation center can return those wings, and eyes, to the skies again.  whew.

Peregrin Falcon by Stefanie Köppler

Clear

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Outstanding Tet, just outstanding.  Spareribs

Hi all!!  Ditto what Jay said!!

Up early this morning to get in a run before work - 4.4 miles including 5 sets of .5 mile pickups with .25 mile recovery.  Also then walked the 1.1 mile from Fenway to the Brigham --- I just might take the shuttle back to the garage tonight - NOT!! 

Cool thing happened this morning -- I was chatting with my patient as we went back to the OR for her c/s and we found out we live right around the corner from each other!!  I literally go by her house almost every day of the week (when I'm not in Maine).   Very cool!!  She has twin 5 year old boys and just had baby boy #3!!

Happy Thursday y'all....and it's THirsty Thursday so drink your water!! 

denise

Whew, I forgot how hard it is for me to keep up with all the activity around here. What I've realized is that back when I was active every day in this forum, I was doing 99% of my posting from work, where I was in my cubicle all day and often without much pressing work to do (or at least work that I wanted to do!)

Between working at work and then working at home, I find it very hard to keep up in here, as well.  If it wasn't for Jay's daily reviews, I'd never know what's going on.

Did somebody say "Survey"?  I love a good survey.  I've even been paid in the past to complete a survey.  That's my favorite!

Tet - WOW!!  As I was reading your post, I was thinking, "Did animal control come and get her?"  Hope they're able to mend her wing.

Tramps - Sounds like you have a new admirer.

My buddies, Kate and Karen, have been bugging me about going to Hawaii with them sometime (they go every year on a sister trip).  I finally got up the nerve to ask The Hub about me going this next year.  I'm going!  Woo Hoo!  Gotta spend all that money I've been making on transcription somehow!   Of course I knew he wouldn't say no because he told me last year I needed to go with them sometime, but it just feels weird going someplace like that without him.  I've only been one time, years ago we were there for 10 days, so I'm looking forward to this.  And it doesn't hurt that I'll be there for my birthday.  Nice birthday present, huh?

Oh - 45 min of core/ST this morning.  Mostly upper body ST since I have 3 days of running ahead of time.

Later ~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance