Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 12.13.14 (Read 27 times)

coastwalker

Hi everyone!

Interesting date today.

So, I've gone to my race in Cambridge, MA, hung out with some of the other racers for a while afterward, drove back (in some nice snow), and am now eating lunch and no one has posted yet?? Hello out there!!

sprawled out on the sectional with the animals working on schoolwork.

Must be some pretty smart animals, Holly!

The race this morning was a 1-mile racewalking race on an 8-laps/mile indoor flat track. There were 3 judges around the track to keep an eye on us. This was an "open" race, so there was a good mix of kids and us old farts. Some of my buddies from the New England Walkers were there. I wore my Granite State Racewalkers singlet 'cause I had to give fair representation to our fair state. The race went well, even though I was lapped by the lead pack of about 5 walkers. The times weren't posted there, and haven't been posted online yet, but I believe the winner finished in 7 minutes and something. The last time I had been in an 1-mile racewalking race was in the Dartmouth Relays in 2010, and my time was 9:46. I finished i 9:40 today, and felt reasonably good about my performance (although there were only older farts behind me). There was one young girl in front of my who I was gaining ground on, and I would have been happier if I had caught her by the finish. As it is, I thin she beat me by about 4-5 seconds. Still, it was a good race and a lot of fun.

Now, on to the real fun - washing the kitchen floor!

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

coastwalker got chicked!  Bahwawa!  Oh, no I mean, ah great race!  

StarrRuns so you need to use up as much of the bourbon bottle as you can?  I present to you the all bourbon dinner menu!  Well, almost.  You need an appetizer.  For that I might suggest the Wheat Berry Salad with Butternut Squash and Peppers on my Allrecipes page.  It is actually just a link to the Food Network page of Guy Fieri since it is his recipe.  It is one of my favorite salads and I think it may be something different the kids might like.  For the main course:  Bourbon and Molasses-Glazed Turkey Breast.  The recipe says to marinade the turkey for 1 hour.  I think 6 is more like it.  For the side dish:  Mashed maple bourbon sweet potatoes.  You still need a green side dish, for that I think nearly any good roast Brussels sprout recipe will work. Sorry, no bourbon recipes come to mind.  Then for dessert, the absolute best most fabulous bread pudding you will ever have:  Pecan and Raisin Bread Pudding With Bourbon Sauce.  Not too shabby.  Three dishes with bourbon.

As to running I went off for 11 miles this morning.  Beautiful day here in Santa Barbara.  My DW's niece has great weather for her wedding.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Interesting date today.

jay - especially at 3:16:17 this afternoon.

twocat -you being able to handle jet lag in your abbreviated two day transcontinental + trans-Pacific China trip mariposai mentioned yesterday but getting whalloped by a three-hour change to California reminds of  when ultra-god Scott Jurek used to live out here in the PNW at sea level and said he could fly to Colorado and run a 100 mike race the next day without adverse altitude sickness but, if he stayed more than a day or two, it took a nearly a week to adjust, if that makes sense.,

ps - still sunny and warm for someone's 50K over Deception Pass tomorrow.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks, Tet - I'm happy about the weather forecast for the race!  I made it to Seattle this morning, and I'm at my DD's house now.  She sings with the Seattle Pro Musica choir, and they're doing two Christmas concerts today - afternoon and evening.  I'm going to the evening performance.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wow, where is everyone?  Holly, bummer about the paint and your car.  Jay, nice racing.  Nice long runs for Mike and Twocat.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and there was some wind.  I got in 8 miles at an 11:31 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Hi, all.

It's great to read about all the preparations and busy-ness.

I spent the morning on my mountain bike and the afternoon pottering about getting some basic decorations up.

Off to a Christmas party at my auntie's house tonight Smile Smile Smile

C-R

Hey All,

Nice race Jay.

Been traveling all week. Atlanta and now SC for kiddos national XC championships. It was gorgeous here in Myrtle Beach. 55 at race start. Patrick ran a new 4k PR @ 14:15 and finished 155 out of 415. His team finished 12th. Not bad for all 13 year olds in a 13-14 division. One of his team mates finished 11th OA. Great day for racing. I even got 4 miles two days in a row on the beach and not some hotel treadmill. Yay.

Will try to catch up a bit next week. Now for a 12 hour drive home tomorrow.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

DD's team lost their game this morning by 1 point - another tense and exciting game, though.  DD did not get to play because she was absent from school yesterday, something I warned her might happen.  Now she knows.

I stopped by our local running store and found a shirt on the clearance rack that is the match for the running skirt I found on the clearance rack several months ago - how cool is that?

7 miles for me this morning in 36 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."