Masters Running

Wed Mar 11 Runs and Workouts (Read 471 times)

Good morning, everyone! I got up early this morning. PDR had to poke me because I didn't hear my alarm. 11.1 miles, 1:34:22, 8:30/mi, AHR 149 (75% mhr) miles@pace(AHR) = 4@8:57(138), 2@8:42(147), 5.10@8:04(159)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning Lou....very good long run there. I needed someone to kick my butt out of bed this morning, but being single...it's alll up to me. (13 hour work day yesterday, then my run...guess I deserved to be extra tired) Soooo, I got to work later than I should have... I have some catching up to do. Last night - 6 easy miles - 57:01 - 9:31 ave pace - we set a record high here yesterday at 74 degrees....30 degrees this morning Sad Have a Greta Day Everyone. Not TimbO...but TimBo Smile

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Renee the dog

Thanks for so many lovely comments on my daughter's race photo! I should be out running right now, but had a date with the couch and a bucket last night! This apparently is a boomerang cold and it got into my digestive tract again. Black eye I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore! LOL My friends from Alabama are here and we were all going to run here at Disney this morning...well, I'm sure they're having a good time. grrrrr... Good runs to all today! May you not be sidelined by something annoying. Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Aw, nono. So sorry you're sick. And at Disney too! Not fair. 7 miles at 10:01 pace. I am relieved to feel more back to normal today. We're getting back on schedule, which means too little sleep, but I guess we're used to that.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Get better quickly Nono. This morning was cross training day so off I went to the pool for 1000 meters. I'm not fully comfortable with swimming yet, but it's coming back slowly. Swam more lengths freestyle that I have been. Maybe next week I'll tackle 1600 meters. That ought to wipe me out for a while. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'll be thinking about you, Nono! DS13 woke up with a temp of 102.7 and a very sore throat. Sigh, just what he needs, to miss more school. Yesterday I found out he has a D- in Algebra! Shoot, I've TUTORED kids in Algebra before, so I feel very guilty. He "gets" it, too, but he tends to ignore homework assignments. I was planning on running this morning, also, but now I guess I'll be going to the doctor's office with him. Sorry to be grumpy!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice run there Lou Oh no Nono Warm and humid this morning. Another EZ day to let the hip muscle repair. 6 miles at 9:30 pace (first 2 w/ Tory at 10:20)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Hill Runner

Good morning folks, 60F this morning....seems like it was only a week ago that it was in the 20's Smile 11.03 miles of hills with the headlamp and iPod this morning. Good runs to everyone!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo

Nono, sorry to hear your not feeling well. I was there last week.....Yuck ! WRFB.....nice run this morning! COLD definitely has a sound. I started my run last night 7.65 miles 1:02:00, 8:05 pace. The outside temperature starting out was 64 deg. It was 46 deg when I ended my run 1 hour later. There's a saying.......If you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it'll change........Wow and did it. Last night I listened to the Nort Wind howl, the windows rattle and the trees bending and swaying in the wind. The North wind has a very distictive sound......it's what COLD sounds like. 12 deg this morning. It was the pool for me this morning. a 850 yd opener followed by various drills. A nice swim.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! High winds were roaring around the house when I let the dogs out this morning, so I opted for 6 easy-paced miles on the TM, and another episode of Lost. You would think I would be done with Season One by now, but I have only been watching them on TM runs, so I still have 2 disks left. I still have a week before they're due back at the library, though. We might have more bad weather before then... Busy at work - check back later.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning, all! (((((((nono)))))))) - feel better! Lou - nice long run to kick off the list this AM! No workout for me this morning. I slept in a little too long, and, like Tim, I was a bit late for work. Oh well, it isn't going anywhere. I had to miss yoga yesterday because of work committments. I'm already anxious to get to the weight room over my lunch break today - I guess being addicted to exercise isn't such a bad thing. Holly - I have to backtrack on my comments yesterday - apparently the long run in itself does contribute to accelerated aging - with or without supplementation. Not that this is going to put a stop to my running..... dg - thanks for the pool offer! As a mater of fact, I am going to be in Michigan in April - visiting friends in our old stomping grounds and doing some flyfishing for steelhead on the Muskegon. Planning ahead, I made reservations at a motel that offers free admission to my old athletic center in Kazoo. It has an indoor track and the pool where I was first introduced to deep water running - I can hardly wait for our vacation. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

SueT your comments on running long distance and aging piqued my curiosity, and since my life is research based lately, this is what I came up with (with proper citation of course). Results suggest that altered protein redox state occurs while running an exhausting run in relation to the physical condition of the subjects involved. Poon, H., Shreve, N., Veicsteinas, A., Calabrese, V., Esposito, F., & Butterfield, D. (2007, June). Exercise-mediated alteration of protein redox states in plasma: a possible stimulant for hormetic response. Sport Sciences for Health, 2(2), 76-79. Retrieved March 11, 2009, doi:10.1007/s11332-007-0043-1 So essentially, according to the authors, once you become conditioned to run long distances you don't produce an increased amount of free radicals. I got a chuckle in a grad class last night. A group was doing a presentation on motivation and showed a clip from the movie Miracle. They then commented that "you have probably heard about the 1980 Olympic Hockey Team." I think I recall hearing something Tongue
                          Slo

Mike Eurzione I had a poster of him in my room for years. I can still remember that game. One of the extremely few times I have ever seen my Dads eyes well up with tears. Wow Craneium.......you've stirred up a few memories here.
                              Memories indeed! Mr. CNYrunner was in the stands seated near Dorothy Hamill when the Miracle on Ice happened. I had the tickets framed as a gift this year and they are displayed in our bedroom--first, er I mean second thing he sees when he wakes up! No run today for me--about to hop on the subway for my first meeting here in the Big Apple Uconn Lady Huskies Rock!
                                nono, your daughter's picture was neat. Not only is she a cutie but it looks like she's flying. Also, sorry to hear you're sick. I hope it passes quickly. Aamos, it sounds like your friend is making progress. My thoughts continue to be with her and her family. Nice long runs for Sue, bike, henrun, WRFB, and Peter. Good job on the speedwork for mariposai, breger, and busi. Like a few others have posted, we had real strong winds all night and this morning. I debated (not very long) going outside but chose another TM run. It was another 8 miles at 1% and 6.2 mph (9:40 pace). A good day and good runs for all. TomS