Masters Running

Picking people out in a crowd at Boston ... (Read 284 times)

A number of the great Boston RR's have mentioned how hard it was to pick out runners on the course or family and friends in the crowd. Others have mentioned how magically they picked out fellow Boomers on the run. I was at a Runner's Club meeting last night and one of the guys relayed this to me: We just had our annual Membership 5K last weekend and naturally we made shirts and handed them out to members/runners. The guy who does our race timing did his usual great job and then right after the race hopped on a plane to go to Boston. He wasn't running it this year but was waiting at mile 17 to run in some of our local clubbers. As he waiting, one of the runners yelled to him "I made that Shirt." My friend said "No you didn't". The runner said "Yeah I did. There's a little smiley face inside the collar in the back." Sure enough there it was. What are the odds that a guy would travel 1000 miles, and in the middle of the Boston marathon, happen to meet the guy who made our 5K Race shirts??? Bizarre. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Head Procrastinator

It is a small world after all Smile
      ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats

King of PhotoShop

Stop playing around on the internet and TAPER! Spareribs
          I had no idea that I was supposed to taper my posting too. Live and learn. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

TammyinGP

Frequent posting IS tapering!! Pay no attention to Ribs - he doesn't play by the rules Clowning around Here's my small world story. A couple yrs ago I joined up with the boomer gang in Portland for the marathon (Oct 06). I ran the 5 mile race, then headed to the goddess aid station. But as we were waiting for the 5 mile race to begin, a gentleman standing next to me starting talking and we struck up conversation. He was an older gentleman, from England, who flew over for the race and to do some vacationing in the PNW. Fast forward to May 07 - Avenue of the Giants - and who do I meet up with again (and he actually remembered me too) but the same English gentleman who flew in to do this race because it's one of his favorite courses. We chatted at the pasta dinner the evening before and again on the half marathon route as we were keeping about the same time for the first 4 miles or so.

Tammy

evanflein

I think knowing what the person you're looking for is wearing makes all the difference. Bob (btb) showed us his shirt, same one all the Children's Hospital runners wore, but he said what would be on his bib (front and back). I was looking for all the Children's shirts, and when we came across Bob it was pretty obvious. Once I saw Perch's blue singlet it was easy to spot him as we moved along the course. I had no idea what DH was wearing, and sure enuf I missed him... he was wearing a dark gray shirt so just blended in. Something bright really helps. Like a Marathon Maniacs bright yellow singlet! Or Holly's bright white cap (although I admit I passed her and didn't recognize her, even with the big bushy ponytail!).

Head Procrastinator

Next time I will make notes of the outfits beforehand. I thought Pro was taking care of it Smile (since he doesn't really look here may as well blame him)
                  i was thinking maybe next year we could all wear hats that said RA Boomers or something on them - lol -- it really was hard to pick people out - it was a sea of faces as i was triaging runners in the end!! i tried to remember what people were wearing but my brain couldn't function that quickly!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

Next time I will make notes of the outfits beforehand. I thought Pro was taking care of it Smile (since he doesn't really look here may as well blame him)
                    Yes, that Pro is a bum! (And I am in chat with him now and going to send him this link just to make trouble!) Spareribs
                    TheProFromDover

TheProFromDover

Heh Heh Heh....hally, the answer is RED!!!!!!!! I am everywhere, Craig

-Craig - "TPFD53 at gmail dot com"

Head Procrastinator

Heh Heh Heh....hally, the answer is RED!!!!!!!! I am everywhere, Craig
                        You AND Ribs are both bums!