Masters Running

'Nother Wet Wednesday Daily, 12.10.14 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Yesterday morning, I had my first meeting as a new member of the management committee of well-established and well-respected local group that does a lot of work dealing with watershed protection, water quality issues, etc. It is an impressive group of people (I don't know what the heck I'm doing in with them!), and it was a good, but exhausting 3.5 hour meeting.

It rained hard all day yesterday, and at high tide, I saw areas of salt marsh under more water than I had ever seen before. We also had high winds, and we lost power at about 9 last night. I went to bed soon after (what else was there to do?), and the power was back on when I woke at 12:15am, so it wasn't bad at all. I headed out for a 5.5 mi. RW workout at the usual time this morning in 37F temps and wind-driven light rain. One road was closed because of flooding, and another one should have been. Local areas of marsh were still very full of water, which is unusual at what was close to low tide. Of course, I got puddled, and so had squishy feet for most of the workout. Our sump pump in the basement is working hard, and likely will be for the next few days.

Tonight is the wrap-up dinner meeting for our Seacoast Road Race Series. 563 people completed the series (meaning they did 6 of 8 races, including 2 longer than a 5K) and earned their commemorative jackets, which will be delivered later this month. We've awarded almost 4,600 jackets (at no cost to the runners/walkers) since we started the Series 10 years ago. This year, I earned a jacket too! I'm looking forward to the wrap-up, a bit of a celebration that we survived another year, and to start planning for 2015's Series.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Yucky weather on the coasts, Jay! We're dry and about 30F here, but with breeze and a "RealFeel" of about 15. I'm headed out in about an hour to meet someone for an EZ run. Will report later.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

Jay, Those are impressive stats with the race series.

I snuck in a 7 miler after work last night and a 5.5 miler this am.

This is the type of weather I call "tweener" weather...mid to low 30's...Tough to dress for. I'm either chilled or to warm.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

jay -  be sure to tell everyone how impressive they are so they won't even notice it when they adopt your ideas.

However, so nothing wrong with the Seattle weather averting the forecasters' panic over a huge storm front rushing in from the North Pacific that, with temperatures at 6am already in the mid-fifties and no rain, what's a guy who's supposed to be a runner supposed to do except go running, . . .  for a third four miler of the month, closing in on 500 miles for the year for the first time since 2008.

ps holly:  how's the telephhone/camera wash?

FWIW, I just confirmed for the second time that it's okay to machine wash a camera SD card.

pps - Since I'm half-way through the container without any adverse efects, I guess there's nothing wrong with a two-pound container of  raspberry yogurt with a "best-to-sell-by" date of 12/13/2013,.  I hope.  :

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

Tet, you'll be fine even with old yogurt.

You asked me the other day why I started running so late. I wasn't much of an athlete until my 30's when I began hiking in the mountains and skiing. 6 months before I turned 40 a neighbor teen told me about an upcoming 5+mile race nearby and suggested we jog and train for it. I did and loved it. That was the start and I never looked back.

Another yucky day run. I usually hate running in the rain but, since yesterday was a washout (heavy nor'easter)and we were just about out of bagels, I did a 3 miler, bought the bagels and took the T home. Yoga this afternoon.

King of PhotoShop

A bit late to post today.  On my morning run I stopped to talk to my neighbor Mrs. Brown.  Man, her daughter is adorable.  Walkin' about,
              even in a crowd, well, you'll pick her out. Makes a bloke feel so proud.

Hey Tet, I've lost track of Soundrunner.  How is she doing?  Tell her I said hi.

Jay, I seem to recall you mentioned those jackets some time ago and apparently they are a much sought after award. Good for you.

Got 4 miles in this morning, as I'm just going easy all week with the Dallas Half on Sunday.  The Saint and I are making a day of it in Dallas, going to an art show Saturday night, then staying at the Adolphus the night before the race.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

hmmm, if a yogurt container still seems edible a year after its expiration, it makes me wonder just what that yogurt contains?

we have some big rain and high winds coming in later today and lasting through tomorrow, but should clear out by Friday and it's looking like Saturday is the only dry day in the forecast which is great considering I'll have a houseful of people that afternoon for David's XC Christmas party, so it'll be nice having the option to go outside also, since we'll likely have more people than my modest home can comfortably accomodate!  lol.

tomorrow is david's 15th bday. can't believe it. just not possible is it?

board meeting tonight where i'll announced as the interim board president. not sure what i might have just gotten myself into but it is just an 'interim' position so I don't have to put my name in the hat when the elections roll around. . . and really, i can't screw up things too much in just a few months . . . can I?

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey Tet, I've lost track of Soundrunner.  How is she doing?  Tell her I said hi.

Yeah, riiight, . . . for sure, . . uh huh,

hmmm, if a yogurt container still seems edible a year after its expiration, it makes me wonder just what that yogurt contains?

sugars - 44g / protein - 10g / total fat - 2.5g / sodium - 160g / potassium - 420g / cholesterol - 15mg / Saturated fat - 1.5g / carbohydrates - 47g / agar / sugar / blue 1 / red 50 / gelatin / bifidum / raspberry / citric acid / skim milk / vitamin D-3 / natural flavors / cultured dextrose / vitamin A palmitate / Cultured low fat milk / L acidophilus cultures / B acidophilus cultures / whey protein concentrate / modified corn starch pectin / potassium sorbate preservative

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

I'm serious Tet.  She used to be on Facebook, but no more. I haven't talked to her in ages.  Spareribs

Tramps, good job in your half.  Starr, I hope your foot heals quickly.  Tammy, happy birthday to your son.

Nice long walks and runs for Jay, wild, and Mike.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 30s and there was some wind.  I plodded through 5 miles at an 11:42 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I'm serious Tet.  She used to be on Facebook, but no more. I haven't talked to her in ages.  Spareribs

hmmm.  maybe I like facebook after all.

no particular reason but, in case she asks for some reason or the other,  do you have any plans for Valentine's Day?

I usually hate running in the rain but, since yesterday was a washout (heavy nor'easter)and we were just about out of bagels, I did a 3 miler, bought the bagels and took the T home.

Mmmm!  Bagels!!!!

Tammy - What Board?  Good luck!

Suspicious yogurt . . . . hmmm

Re the dogs - I talked to the Animal Control officer this morning.  She went by yesterday and seized the dogs, which she said they rarely do on the first visit, because they were not in good shape, they were definitely "starving" and the oldest one was shivering.  The owner called AC immediately and he'll eventually get them back with instructions on how to better care for them.  Don't know if it'll do any good, but it sounds like AC will try and keep in touch.  At least now he knows people are watching . . . although AC told me he said he was moving soon.  Praying that wherever he goes, there will be people watching out for the dogs.

I could not wake up this morning.  Maybe was all the crap I ate yesterday.  Bleck.  But I am determined to get in at least half an hour of core/ST after work.  There's a huge storm moving into our area (it's raining right now), so we'll see how things look in the a.m. for my run.  I don't mind the rain, but if we get the expected high winds, that's a whole 'nother story, because then tree branches start coming down.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie, Board of Directors for the animal non-profit I'm on. "Shelter Friends" for those that are facebooksters.   I accepted a position on the Board in July as the volunteer coordinator and I do media advertising, but not a part of the Executive Board. So not only is just simply being on a Board of anything new to me, but I've never been President of anything before! I still have so much to learn, but the executive board were all in 100% agreement that I was the right person for this position when they had a secret meeting last month about our current President stepping down and who should fill her shoes. 

I'm glad your local AC stepped in and did something about that situation Leslie. I wish people like that would just relinquish ownership of their pets. what's the point in even having a pet if it's just going to sit outside chained up?

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm glad your local AC stepped in and did something about that situation Leslie. I wish people like that would just relinquish ownership of their pets. what's the point in even having a pet if it's just going to sit outside chained up?

+1

Tet - you sure live dangerously, my friend...

This morning I did this on the TM:

1 mile WU

4 miles of one and two minute intervals

2 mile CD

7 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I woke up today not feeling like doing anything, but I managed to get some momentum going at work, and then I even made it to the gym for a workout.

On my group run Tuesday, someone who saw my footprints in the snow said it looked like my hips were weak and I should do some adductor and abductor exercises, so I added some of the those today.  My footprints showed that my toes were pointed out slightly.  I didn't check to see if he knew what he was talking about.  I just accepted his word and added more exercises. 

I do kind of wonder if it is weak hips or my complete lack of flexibility that cause my feet to land the way they do.