Masters Running

Mistletoe Run Half Marathon RR or arrrg (Read 241 times)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Mistletoe Run Half Marathon Winston-Salem, NC Short version: Slower than 2007 and slower than 2006 but not by much (1:40:04 (2006), 1:39:38 (2007)) 1:40:12 7:39 pace 126/768 OA (top 16%) 12/81 M55-59 (top 15%) Age Graded Ranking 69.8% (2006 WAVA) at least that's a PR for the distance Smile Novel: This is my favorite race. The distance, the course, the location, the organization, the mile markers… etc.. The Twin City Track Club along with The YMCA hold this race along with a 5K. It starts and finishes at the Y so you can stay warm until start and take a shower (free for runners) right after the race! The course started with a downhill then a rolling up hill before a steady climb for a couple miles. Then it is rolling going through neighborhoods, then Wake Forest Campus followed by a park with some steep hills, another neighborhood, more WF and back through the park and out to neighborhoods and down to the Y. The rolling terrain makes for a very nice run. The excuses (right up front Big grin): Soleus injuy Aug-Oct prevented any speedwork. Ran hilly martahon Nov 2nd, ran 8K race Nov 26th (and PR'd).. this was the only speed work. After a couple mile warm-up, I stripped to a long sleve tee, shorts and hat in the balmy 30F. Got to the start 5 minutes before take-off. There were nearly 700 runners this year. A really pretty woman sang a really pretty anthem and the gun sounded and off we went. I had some goals for this one: 1. PR (beat 1:39:38) maintain 7:30 pace 2. Sub 1:40:00 3. Get a good workout I ran this race by feel. I turned the HR display off on the Garmin so I could record but not see it. Last year there was a Spareribs looking guy who siad it took a long time to catch up to me (and he ended way fater than me last year). This year I saw the same guy and trailed him by 10 seconds ... through mile 6 Splits: Mile 1 - 7:31 [AHR 169] (first part downhill and then a good climb) Mile 2 – 7:47 [170] (lots of climbing but some good rollers in second half)—much slower than last year..good! Mile 3 – 7:30 [170] (rolling)—hit the pace Mile 4 - 7:34 [167] (more downhills .. bit too slow) Mile 5 - 7:40 [166] (first half uphill second half downhill... can really feel the hills this run..meh) Mile 6 - 7:24 [165] (mostly a nice downhill winding through the woods in a park ) (7:34 pace average at mile 6... so far so good.. that Ribs guy is still 10 secs ahead) Mile 7 - 8:02 [165] (slowed to a crawl on a long uphill through a neighborhood- tiring.. the Ribs guy is spreading the distance.. arrg) Mile 8 - 7:42 [164](some down then up and up to Wake Forest University at the top of the hill.. tiring left in the dust by the Ribs guy) Mile 9 - 7:33 [162] (down into the park again) Mile 10 – 8:09 [164] (up out of the park and slowed to a crawl on a really steep hill... almost walked but didn't) Mile 11 - 7:51 [164] (last major hill--- I really wanted to pull over to the side and go to sleep!- this HURTS!) Mile 12 - 7:25 [164] (down hill finally!) Mile 13 – 7:20 [166] (giving it all she's got Scotty..) Mile 13.1 - 6:40 pace [166] Still not enough, saw 1:40:08 as I crossed... official was 1:40:12 Just wasn't my day but I got in a really good tempo run Smile Thanks for reading! Steve FR: White Boston long sleeve techical tee, black race shorts, white gloves, blue hat, blue/silver and white Asics 2130, Garmin 305.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Great RR with a super fast pace! Loved the up front "excuses"! Smile Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Perch that is a very very good race Big grin Color coordinated too Cool Speed work? I'm not familiar with the term Roll eyes

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Mariposai

Great race perchreek. It may not be what you were after as far as finish time is concerned, but it seems to me that you raced it very well. Love the color coordination...proud of you.........Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

You kept a pretty even pace despite all the hills. Well done! And it's too bad that you missed a PR, but you still turned in a fast time. I think 30 degrees is a bit on the cool side for shorts, though...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Great job, Perch. I think that age-grade number means a lot. So close to 70! What do you think now about not having the HR data? I like all the data I can get during the race.
                perch, it may not have been quite what you wanted but it was still a speedy half. Congratulations. TomS

Renee the dog

Perch -- bahhhhhh! So close, yet so far for the PR. I think the "excuses" are legit though, and if you want a positive spin: You are extremely consistent in this race! Based on this data, you definitely aren't showing any speed-decline-as-runners-age. Good job!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Perch, A quality run by a great runner. Using this "almost PR" as a carrot for your next race will keep you hungry. Thanks for sharing Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Nice racing, Perch. Man, that course seemed pretty hilly. I think you handled them well.
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        Congratulations on a great race Perch! All things considered you really put a pretty good run together. I think we should check to see if Ribs has an alibi or not. Wink I pretty much never look at my HR during a race and rarely even during training runs except maybe during some intervals or other speed type workouts, but I really like having the info so that I can make comparisons etc. So how do you like the Asics 2130's? I only have one more pair of 2110's left and I don't care for the 2120's so I am going to have to get some new ones this spring and was looking for feedback on the 2130's. Considering the fact that you said it was "not my day" I think you really had a great run. I'm sure when your 100 % those times will get better again, and besides 34 seconds off last year isn't so bad. Big grin
                        coastwalker

Hi Perch, Especially with all your (up-front) excuses, you ran a terrific race. It may not have been your day, but you didn't miss it by much. If you stay healthy and don't have such a full schedule leading up to this race next year, I'll bet that Ribs-Guy will be eating your dust! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

DickyG

Perch... I don't care what you say, that was a terrific time on a tough course...I've run that half and I ain't even telling you my time. It was definately the distraction of the Ribs guy that cost you a few seconds...I think a large "congrats" are certainly in order. DickyG
                              sounds like you ran a great race to me!! what is age graded ranking? i can't quite grasp what that means

denise

Tramps

Perch, the fact that you were so near to a PR despite your battles says a lot about your overall conditioning and suggests you'll be blowing away that PR the next time you run a fully healthy half. Nice job on what sounds like a challenging course. Also, it was good to hear Ribs is running so well these days; I had no idea. Oh...wait...never mind. Wink

Be safe. Be kind.