Masters Running

Sat 9/20 - Good day to run and race, and be alive! (Read 443 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Went to bed super early last night to get ready for my 20 to 22 miler this morning. Since I like running better in the evenings, I thought I had better get used to getting up early to get ready for my upcoming race, Plus, with this early start I will beat the heat (insert some wise guy remark here Bill, lol) Legs are a little stiff and sore from my higher volume and speed workout this week, so hopefully everything will loosen up in a few miles. Wanted mostly to wish our racers good luck and enjoy your race AND THE GIFT!!! I won't try to mention all the racers names because I don't want to leave anyone out, because all the racers are important to me, rather on the speedy side, or a little slower which makes NO difference what so ever. Well, small snack done with - plenty of water since I have been up - now a out the door in a few minutes. Will check back out in about 3 hours or so after my run. Oh Yeah, I started the first pot of coffee here this morning...just leave a small tip in the jar.... Have a wonderful day to the best running friends in the World...you ALL ROCK....and are funny too. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim – thanks for getting the coffee started this morning. Time for me to start getting dressed. A little warmer here than expected (62 degrees right now at 6:00 and race starts at 8:30). Good thing I was planning on taking it easy. Smile Good luck to the racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Wow Tim are ever up early this morning...probably a good idea to get used to a few early morning long runs. Good Luck to Erika (hope the weather co-operates), Arf, DiveChief, Holly (I have to echo everyone’s caution here), Sue, Cheffy (same thing be cautious and don’t overdue it), Teresa (and of course a huge congratulations to DS for his win…woo hoo!) I hope I didn’t forget anyone here…if I did good luck on your races this weekend. Oh and before I forget ... welcome back Bergermiester!! Brrrrrr is it ever chilly here this morning as I prep for my morning run…36 degrees and 96 % humidity…YIKES!! I guess the tights, turtle neck, hat and gloves are coming along this morning! Have a great day everyone, I can’t wait to read the reports.
          44 degrees here this morning. Brrrr is right! A nice easy 3 miler for me. Tapering gives me time to do other things, but unfortunately I still can't keep up here. I skimmed Beerger's separate thread and am happy to see us all talking again. This really is a nice group. I noted DH's post about not carrying grudges or staying peeved for long. That's what WRFB likes about me. I forget so quickly why I was mad at someone. Enjoy this nice fall day!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

DickyG

A Florida judge has decided a law banning sagging pants in this town is unconstitutional after a teenager spent a night in jail on accusations he exposed too much underwear. Julius Hart, 17, was charged last week after an officer said he spotted the teenager riding his bicycle with 4 to 5 inches of blue-and-black boxer shorts revealed. When interviewed, the arresting officer...Harlan "Big Sexy" Allen...stated "well, I woulda let the dude off with a warnin' but since I wrote up my mother-in-law last week, I thought that fair is fair." Dave: Tough run, man...way to gut it out.
            Last .5 I had to walk as I started feeling sick with a headache and queezy stomach.
            You don't live near Deb, do you? dg:
            i think i asked this before, but are you injury free now?
            Thanks for asking, Deb...yeah I'm pretty much injury free...every once in a while if I forget to stretch before a run or a game I feel something, but that's about it. Best wishes to Tim on his long run and all the racers this week-end...looking forward to some good results...everyone has really been working hard on their preparations. No running today but I tee off in about 2 hours for the first round of the city-county golf tourney and then softball double-header later in the afternoon...hopefully get to see some of the Gators-Vols game later. DickyG
              Tim, watch out for that coffee and then running 20 miles. I, like you , usually get my miles in the evening. But on the weekend when I was training, I'd do the long run in the morning. I always had to pull over to the side a couple times, if you no what I mean. I tend to drink to much coffee. Anyway,,, good luck on the long one today. I'll be running a local 5K Run For Shelter in about 1.5 hours. I'm totally unprepared for a race of any distance, but will run easy and enjoy the gift (as Tim put it). And yes, Tim, it is a gift....it's all a gift.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                For those who are interested, the planet is running out of clean water. If you don't care, don't read. http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/science/09/19/water.crisis/index.html Dark Horse
                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                  Just back from my morning run - boy am I glad I brought my jacket and gloves...it was freaking cold out there! But the ride over to where we meet up was beautiful with lots of great photo ops - the sea smoke was cool with the sun rising in the background and the boats on the river etc. just beautiful. Big grin Saturday - 8.04 miles @ mp +1 minute - 1:09:13 (8:36) - Avg HR 125 Max HR 141 Bright Sun and 36 degrees! My goal for today's run was to do the run at about marathon pace + one minute and I was pretty much dead on - 2 seconds. Smile Well I gotta get some yard work done before we head out to do some apple picking with the oldest grand daughter.
                    I slept comparatively late this morning, not waking up until 6:55, even after dawndaughter2 (maybe a first!). I, too, am having trouble keeping up here. I did scan yesterday's thread, but didn't take notes and while there was a lot to comment about, it all dribbled out of my head as soon as I hit "reply". I do want to wish the weekend racers the best of luck -- looking forward to seeing a great time for Erika on the Equinox (who is still sleeping I assume because AK is what, 7 hours behind east coast?) It was cool, but not too cool, by the time I ran. For whatever reason I wore a long sleeve shirt, but quickly rolled them up. 5 easy miles -- after Thursday's MP run, they seemed very easy, even though a bit fast for "easy". These included a few striders to stretch my legs. 5.1 miles, 42:49, 8:23/mi, AHR 146

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

a nippy 47 F here this AM, but a brilliant, cloudless sky....easy to warm up quickly. I'm having a late harvest cookout tonight with some friends, coordinated with a slumber party for my 9 YO. Must. Vacuum. Something. 8.8 this morning, 1:17:59 How's that 20 miler, Tim?

Hill Runner

Good morning all, I logged in a good 45+ miles this week so I'm taking a break today as I'm planning a 20 miler tomorrow in prep for my marathon which is 5 weeks away. It's starting to cool down here so I'm planning on jumping in the pool today probably one of the last good weekends to do so before I close it up in October. Here's a little peek at summer which is still here in NC. Enjoy the great weather everyone...

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

4 miles on tired legs this morning, 9:41 pace. We had a big party for DS#2 who's leaving for boot camp tomorrow. Sad I watched the clip about running form and was inspired by the posture, leg kick etc. I guess I just kind of shuffle along. In fact, this time of the year when I finish a run I'm usually hauling leaves, tree branches, etc behind me because they collect as I go... Thanks for the coffee, Tim. Good luck with your long run today. Dicky G - hit 'em straight and long at the tournament today. Have you caught any of the Ryder Cup highlights? The American team looks like they're fired up and ready to win this year. To Evryday, Holly and all our other runners doing 5Ks, half/full marathons, good luck this weekend! Hope you have perfect weather and a good race. Peter - awesome pool - and the house looks spectacular as well! What time is the party, and what can I bring?! Jeanne

King of PhotoShop

Yes, Teresa's son did well. These kids do a fiveK generally and if you consider that it is on a difficult surface and he lost 22 seconds on the turn, his sub-17 time is going to have the phones ringing in that house soon. I see scholarship potential there. I am not sure which races everyone is doing but I know it's an active weekend and I wish all of you luck. I am most interested in Erika's marathon because I have followed her training and worry about her foot issues, given that difficult course. Since someone asked, Alaska is two and a half days behind east coast time, so we should learn her results sometime Monday night. I had a good day today. 4 total miles, alternating walking and running each quarter for a total of two miles running at a very sedate 9:44 pace. Feeling fine. Spareribs
                            evanflein

Hey Lou <waving> I'm here, I'm up... noshing my bagel with pb as my pre-race breakfast. Ugh. Meant to go to bed earlier but was up too late. And Alaska is 4 hours behind east coast, but nice try. Ribs! Hope Tim has a good loooong run. Thanks for the coffee. Peter... oh that looks wonderful. Feels almost like we didn't get a summer here (although we really did). I pulled out some stuff from the garden last night, and a lot of it just never matured to do anything. Hope Holly is doing well and taking it easy! It rained here last night, but it's not raining now. And the temps are already at what they said the high could be today... 45F! Now it just says "scattered showers" so that's not so bad. Gotta rethink the wardrobe... again. Ok, now to go back to bed for a few minutes! (I'm 20 minutes from the start line!)</waving>
                                Here's a little peek at summer which is still here in NC.
                                Oh sure rub it in why don't you! I guess I should hav given you a peek at what one of the last few days of summer looks like here...there were a few spots of frost on my lawn when I left this morning...double yuk! Shocked