Masters Running

Mon Nov 10 Runs and Workouts (Read 605 times)

Nice PR in tough conditions, Bill!
    Lou - what the he-- is "cooled wort?!"
    "wort" is beer before it has been fermented, rhymes with squirt. Two runs: last night met up with some folks from "the swamp", i.e., the 2000 mile forum. We had a very nice run through DC and stopped to take some photos at some of the monuments. Thanks to Trent for the pictures. (That's dgb2n on the left and Trent in the middle, for anyone who cross-posts). We were in front of the Jefferson Memorial for this one. 9.7 miles, 1:25, 8:46/mi, AHR 144 This morning should have been a recovery run, but I guess I ran a little fast. 3.2 miles, 27:39, 8:47/mi, AHR 140 Good runs, all!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning... Very nice picture of three good looking dudes...well at least two Smile Quite the back drop there also. Lou, you had me worried when you said you were running low on suds...slacker. Nice run yesterday and quick recovery run this morning...geez, you must really get up early! HA....I knew I would beat Twocat this morning. I am surprised how fresh I feeling after my two "non" runs yesterday. Here this morning to officially post my 9th non run day in a row, it seems to be getting easier in a harder way...but hang'n in there. And tet didn't think me and Twokitty could make it to double digits, we showed him...and he acts like non running is hard Roll eyes Hey good news "possibly"... I had lunch Sat with my regular doctor, who is my best Friend and a runner also. I explained all the events of my training, and how I got injured and diagnoses. He said since my stress fracture was done 6 weeks or more ago, he doesn't see that being a big issue in a couple of more weeks. He said he could shave down my heel spur, but only after he looks at my x rays to see if anything needs to be done. He said with my AT, that since a pot hole seems to have caused my foot pain, that it is probably not really AT, but a stretched Achilles Tendon which is a lot different and better as far as recovery. And my sprained ankle is a non issue. He said after he looks at my x rays, he doesn't see why I cannot be back to super easy running / jogging in a couple of weeks or so...possibly sooner depending on how my foot feels and heals up. Actually, I am almost totally pain free right now, which is a good feeling...not limping anymore at all. He also wondered how the heck I made it 16 miles, but he said adrenaline is a remarkable thing. Well, at least I have some hope now, and don't need to wear some boot thing that I prolly wasn't going to do anyways. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention my x training for the weekend ( Erika)....2 hours 40 miles on my cycling trainer Sat - And a 3 mile walk, then an easy 1 hour on my bike trainer Sun...felt good to be back doing something Cool Thanks everyone for your kind words and encouragment....you all rock Smile "Tim... you're coming to Seattle in June!!??" Well, I guess I need to get through my injuries first...but think I should be able to. Ya know what? I have decided to train just as hard for my next Marathon, but I am NOT going to put sooo much pressure on myself for a fast time...just get the miles in and get my first one in the bag, sounds reasonable to me....how bout you? Steve, my stoopid quads still hurt from my race??? Hi Mary Smile Mariposai, thanks for the Butterfly Hugs...this "non" running has it's perks Wink Erika....hang in there, I know this is tough on ya! TammySue....you are funny Rackster - And again thanks!!! Hey Janet (Handy Mom) No lurking ok, we miss you posting Smile This was too funny from yesterday...biketm ! evanflein you are right it is not fair! Running a marathon on Saturday is sort of like cheating! dg. sorry but any miles kicks you out of the 40/0 club. Better luck next injury. Big grin Have a great day and runs all, Little more positive Timothy

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Good morning Lou and Tim. Cross training day here. 45 minutes on the eliptical followed with leg and ab work. Darn nippy here - 27F with a strong wind out of the north. I was kind of glad I was indoors this morning. Lou - what a great picture. When DH and I were in Washington the weekend of the MC Marathon, I was thinking what a wonderful city that would be to run in. You guys look so fit and healthy (and young!) Hey Tim - fantastic news!! But remember to take it easy. Knowing you, you'll be back at it like gangbusters and may reinjure something. You have to feel good about your prognosis, though. I'm getting excited. We'll be driving to Great Lakes on Thursday to watch DS#2 graduate from boot camp on Friday morning. We talked to him last night and he sounded so good. I feel so much better, because I was really worried about him. Have a great day, everyone.

Renee the dog

Ahhh, now that's what a girl needs...a little eye candy in the morning!!! Cool Out quickly this morning for a little 2 1/4 mi loop with Renee. Wasn't planned, but the dog came home to us late last night and she's nuts! That's all I could squeeze in before Mr Nono had to get working, but we're actually scheduled to run tonight, so I figure I'm just ahead of the game for tonight. Had a great week with the kids in Florida. Nice to be home now too. Glad I finally found another place at Disney that's decent for running -- the Boardwalk area -- could run down to The Studios, around the outside loop of the 5 hotels there, inside loop directlly around the little lake. Worked out. I had low hopes going in after my Animal Kingdom week of treadmill. Glad I was pleasantly surprised.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

DickyG

Authorities said three tigers that escaped from a Mexican circus truck were recaptured after police distracted them by throwing them chickens. The tigers holed up in an abandoned house in the city of Zitacuato. When they started breaking down the home's fence, police lobbed them chickens to eat until an animal control officer and the animals' trainer arrived. The big cats were recaptured and taken to a local police station where they were held until their owner agreed to pay for the chickens and damage to the fence. Police captain Juan "Scarface" Gonzalez stated "them varmints were easy to capture...but fingerprintin' them was another problem altogether." Back from an exhausting 3 days in Kentucky...I found it...it was right where Fatozzig said it would be. Although I was working almost all the time, got in a short run Saturday afternoon...about 37 minutes...I'm giving myself credit for 3.5 miles. Have only been able to skim the last 3 dailies...I'll read them when I get a chance...plus about 3-4 RR's. Did see the discouraging report on Tim's stress fracture. I've had 2 of them in the past 3 years...one from softball, one from basketball. My doctor prescribed some different shoe inserts..then I cut up a bunch of kitchen sponges, put them in my shoes, and ran right through the injuries. I realize, however, that every case is different and I would not advise anyone to follow my stupidity. One other thought...Tim, all the NYC marathoners except Maine...Tet, and a few others are resting injuries & taking some time off. That means that TomS & I, two of the senior citizens of this list, are now (for the time being) two of the heavy-duty runners in the group. We are just too cool... DickyG
            Tramps

Lou—nice pic and good running; I’ve run past there many times. The Tidal Basin is great. Tim—some good news there. Jeanne—that's 27F not -27F, right? I’d call the latter something more than “darned nippy” Dicky—kitchen sponges! I like the frugality. A little sore from a day of yard work… ...so it’s a rest day for me. Smile ETA: Sad news for music lovers; the great Miriam Makeba has died.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Ahhh, now that's what a girl needs...a little eye candy in the morning!!! Cool
                Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking..... Smile No run for me today - light x-training instead: dumbbell curls, lateral raises, leg lifts w-ankle weights, face-up and face-down, push-ups, lunges, superman lifts, crunches, and when I got to work I walked down and up 12 floors of stairs once. Back on the diet wagon means I just carefully cut my fun-size Twix bar in half and only ate that, throwing the other half away...this is tough! Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

5 easy
                  Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #3309

"I just carefully cut my fun-size Twix bar in half and only ate that, throwing the other half away...this is tough!" Geez Holly, I would have ate the other half...hate to waste 1/2 a Twix Bar Sad Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Mariposai

wow..look at the awesome building...what a strong foundation Wink 4 eze miles this morning. The weather was just too perfect to not go out, specially knowing that the snow is around the corner. Tim, yeap....strong training and smart race will get to you the first finish line. I think you are smart. Erika, have fun in Seattle. Too bad I will miss you by only two days Cry

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Taper day 16 until tammy day (11/23).
                        tet didn't think me and Twokitty could make it to double digits, we showed him...and he acts like non running is hard Roll eyes
                        Congratulations to you both. My hopes are up! private message to biketim - not that divechief and I may be among the only members so far or anything like that, and I didn't want to get your hopes up too soon but, with that grim medical report, maybe it will cheer you up to know that the minimum entry level for megatapers anonymous is 30 consecutive nonrunning days.
                        Erika, have fun in Seattle. Too bad I will miss you by only two days Cry
                        what!? - if this happens in June, we'll kidnap you to stay.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Wow, what nice calves on your new friends WRFB! 0 miles. This is going to be a longer layoff than I had envisioned. I'm not sure what to do. This is day 6 of back pain. It is certainly improving, but not nearly as quickly as I expected. Should I go see a chiro? or the regular doc? I have no experience with chiro's. Or I could go see a PT, but I don't think I could stand to drive that far (6 miles). Sorry for the whine, but I'd just like to have my regular pain-free mobility back. I would be so happy if I could just cross-train. Patience. And for the married guys out there, when your wife asks you to run a couple errands on the weekend for her, as she is injuried, don't grumble so loudly about it. Women have loooong memories. You can see I'm getting grumpy about this.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Enke - get in to see a doctor, pronto. I don't remember how you injured your back, but six days out and you're still not better - RED FLAG! I'd get some x-rays and find out what's going on.
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Enke, I second seeing a doctor first, but then I would probably go to a chiro, also. Make sure you check around to find a good one. I've had two chiropractors, and they've both helped me a lot. I'm not like my parents, who go to one regularly, but I will check in with one when I have a specific problem (for me, usually headaches or neck/upper back pain). Good luck!! 5.5 miles for me this morning, in 39-degree, overcast conditions. I did 8 yesterday, so I need three more 5.5-mile days after this to get in my 30 miles before I leave on vacation. I won't push it, though, if it's not feeling good. Off to pack for our African safari! Geez, I'm so excited I'm not sleeping much at night.
                              evanflein

African Safari? Wow Teresa, that's very cool. Be sure to take lots of pictures! How long a flight is that? I'd think sort of like going to Australia! Enke, yes 6 days with no real improvement is too long. Go get it checked out! Tet, I'm leaving this morning for Seattle and hoping to connect with you there. I'm bringing something for you! Smile Holly, couldn't you have saved it for tomorrow? I've made a fun-size Snickers bar last three days before... One week down and foot is better but not as good as I'd like it to be. Hoping more time will do the trick, but towards the end of the week I'm going to call someone again... or someone else...