Masters Running

Sunday, 3.6.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Dental work is scary for most of us, but not getting the work done can be much, much worse. C-R has the right idea of doing all the care and prevention stuff you can to help minimize the scary (and expensive) work. However, as Tselbes suggested, some of us were born with sturdy, healthy teeth, and some not.

Ribs, for what it is worth, my marathon days have been behind me for quite some time. Every once in a while I think it would be fun to do another one. And then I get realistic and put those thoughts back on the shelf. As with you, training and recovery would be major obstacles.

I'm glad to see all of the aching knees are on the mend - good work, Henry, Stumpy, Wildchild, and C-R!

TwoCat, I use Evernote for a lot of different purposes. I synch it between my laptop, iPad and iPhone, so wherever I go, there it is. There is a list-making function (with check-boxes), so I use that to make my grocery list, and check the items off as I add them to the cart. I don't know how it would compare to Out Of Milk, but it couldn't be much easier to use. BTW - I agree with Mariposai that an avatar update is warranted following your return to pain-free running.

Thanks for the explanation of a checkride, Rhoon. Are they something you get used to, or are they always nerve-wracking (as I imagine they could be)?

Thanks for the editorial additions to Rhoon's post, Tet, and for the latest missive from DD. Keep 'em coming.

Good shots of the pup and Trumpter Swans, Steve. Thanks for posting them.

Just a scootch over 11 RW miles this morning, some of it on Stumpy's half marathon course. I saw a guy I know who was out setting the course signs for the race. And I caught up with another older racewalker who was on his morning workout. We'd never crossed paths before, so we walked and talked for about 3/4 mile before he split off in a different direction. As he said (stating the sadly obvious) when I caught up to him: "You don't see many racewalkers out here!"  His half marathon pace is about the same as mine, so it would be fun to race together some time.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Morning Jay and all to follow. 11 sounds nice. Well done.

I managed another 5. That's two in a row and only slight tightness after the run. I'm cautiously optimistic. Glad to see others are on the mend as well. No fun being on the bench when you're accustomed to activity.

You are correct about the teeth and some people having better luck or genes. Seems like that works for knees, backs, ankles and so on too.

Nice pics yesterday.

Check rides bring back some interesting memories Troy. I hope your's gets done soon. I remember when I was in the USAF we had this particular 4 star that would take all the take-offs and landing when we traveled to the far east. He did this to stay current and keep his flight pay. Not really a big thing except the actual pilots would also need these to stay current. The only way to solve it was for us to have more flights when off station. Usually meant me and my crews worked twice as long and we spent lots and lots of extra money to generate more flights. Anyway.......

Have a wonderful Sunday all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - Hilarious add on to Saturday.....

C-R - glad it sounds like you are on the mend.

I have a 10 mile race today at 1pm.  I am generally not a good runner at that time of day (worse than usual anyway), since my running energy seems to be in the morning (and that is conflicting with my Sunday naptime), but it is a team event and so I think we get team points if I show up even if I don't perform well.  Besides, it will be fun to cheer on my teammates and share in the event.

I'll check back later....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

You might surprise yourself, Holly! Looking forward to hearing how you do.

Jay, I never see racewalkers here. There may be some, but I've never seen any. Maybe in Anchorage? I'd love to see a race....

GL with that, Troy. With the number of small plane and bush pilots around here (Alaska), it's very important that they know what they're doing! Yeah, a little more intense than a CDL requirement, for sure.

Tet, remember the extra car seat. Thanks for sharing those messages. Like Tammy sharing David's training schedule for her, we all love seeing this side of your life. And it is hilarious. But we're not laughing at your expense, really!

Keep all those knee recoveries coming along, folks!

I'm going to a "wedding showcase" today with DIL2B. It'll be interesting to see what she likes and wants to do, since DS1 is probably going to go along with whatever she wants, but would probably prefer a simple ceremony in the woods with friends and family. Should be fun. I'll run later this afternoon with a goal of 10-12, but it'll be on the TM so we'll see how that goes. It seems 8 has been my limit on that thing lately.

Sayhey! MM#130

hiya!

ouch and my empathy to all the dental work endurers.

thought of deez and Steven when running this weekend, not taking lungs for granted.  Wish we could do something to help.

Yes what Erika said Holly--I'll join the team on that front.  I know from talking with you in Charleyboy how much you know, and your warmth is so genuine, I bet the clients love you.

Well, I didn't beat Karin Miles today, but coming in second to her is good--she was in the first US Olympic team marathon trials with Joanie Benoit.

glad you're back at it Tom!  Good 5K after the lay-off.  And glad to know you are getting better herun.

I'm with the running catman that I wouldn't think to clean like Mari--and add on her job.....she is a wonderwoman.

Love the swans, so lovely, and Taggie always brightens my day.  (Maybe Steven would enjoy it if deez read some of Tag's adventure writings to him.  Might get him laughing and moving some good air into those poor lungs.)

got to go--DH has been patiently waiting for us to DO something this afternoon!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

11:26

52F (felt colder at the start)

11.11 miles

Started out with the rocket scientist and King Leonidas. Since the r.s. is just starting back to running post calf explosion and Leon is not good for much more than 3-4 miles, I ran mostly by myself. For no particular reason, I decided to run across the Chickahominy River and into Charles City County. And then I ran back to my home in James City County. It was a good negative split run.

Glad to read that the folks on the DL are venturing out again. tselbs had a good return to racing in my book.Glad to see Stumpy and Henry back in gear.

Yesterday was the Swamp Run 5K. My co-race director and I are retired from directing the race. So we were spectators at the 2.1 miles mark over the boyscout bridge. He was tending to his granddog, Rosie (hee hee) and I had King Leonidas. We cheered the runners and race walkers. Of course I thought about Jay when the first walker went by, impressed with his form and speed. Another succesful Swamp Run 5k is history.

Thank you for the Steven update. Aamos, I, too, appreciated my good health during the run today. I have a bit of a cold which produced a lot of, well, phlegmatic gunk... causing me to expel a few loogies on the way. ooooooh gross! But I was sincerely grateful for the excursion.

I did not see any other runners out there but a lot of cyclists. After I crossed the bridge back to my side of the Chickahominy, a biker passed me saying, "Helloooo Barbara".  It was my brother-in-law, Andy. I smiled.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

moebo

Hello all! I've been away for a bit, partly for lack of time and partly because I haven't had any runs to post.

Nice workout, Jay.

C-R, glad you are feeling better.

Holly, I hope that you had fun at your race!

Evan, good luck at the bridal show. I have to say I don't envy you...

Aamos, hope you had a fun outing with DH.

Rose, good job on that mostly solo LR!

After a little more than a week's rest, I decided to test my hip out with a short run today. I jogged over to the track, did 12 slow laps, and jogged home for 4 miles total. My hip still felt a little tight, but definitely better, so I'm hopeful that I will be okay soon. Planning to do some cross training tomorrow, will try another run on Tuesday.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well, I guess my half was successful--I finished and am still walking, albeit a bit stiffly.  2:10 garmin, 2:13 chip, 2:14 gun.  A little auto-pause in there to stop and pet a couple of dogs hanging out and then to de-shirt about 11 miles when I started to overheat with the wind at my back.   Considering the training level, I did about as well as I could.  I have to thank Angel, who noticed my Lubec marathon shirt and did it the year after me, for about 9 miles worth of pacing and conversation.  There would have been some serious walking temptation towards the end without that.  I did go right past Jay's house, but was disappointed that he wasn't out front.  Fortunately, there was someone who looked a lot like him the next house down .

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Guess what - I got a PR!  Actually, this is my first 10-mile road race, so anything would have been a PR...

No results up yet, but my Garmin said 1:36:34, so 9:39-9:40 ave pace.  I am reasonably happy with that.  Other than a few paces through 2 water stops and a few paces where I took off the LS shirt I was wearing under my singlet, I didn't take any walk breaks.  Given the sluggish running I have been doing of late, I consider that a victory.  Temp was 37 at the start, 45 or so at the finish, an out-and-back that was downhill with a headwind on the way out and uphill with a tailwind on the way back, so it sort of broke even.

Jay - my friend Carissa and I were talking about racewalkers on the drive back and I was bragging about you.  Were your ears burning?

Amy - I am thinking I may just run the AF Marathon as well, although you will be quite a ways in front of me in the distance.  That race is three weeks before Portland, so hopefully enough time to recover if I train up a bit.  The expo is excellent, btw.  You're coming to my house for dinner the night before, right?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bushrat Runner

Checkrides are pretty stressful. They are a bit like hazing in some ways. In the case of aviation, that might not be a bad thing...in an emergency, there is a lot of stress involved. Can you handle the stress and fly the plane, make the right decisions, and manage the emergency safely? A little stress on a checkride can expose the areas where things are not ingrained enough to survive a stressful event...so you can then go work on those and make sure you have them down cold.

The more of them you take, and the more you practice emergency procedures, the less stressful it is.

But there are still pilots that dread their annual checkrides.

As for running...haven't run yet today...but planning to get out a bit later this evening...

coastwalker I think the only race walker I have ever seen live is you. None around here that I have spotted.

stumpy77 another reason you should sign up for this year's Rosie Ruiz Fan Club relay team: you will get practice spotting coastwalker's house!

Holly S. err, congratulations or something on that PR. Actually, nice! There is a 10 mile race near my house the Saturday before labor day. Let me see if you took two weeks off you could run that, hang around and sight see then join the team for the relay . . . just a thought.

moebo good to hear the various body parts needed for running are doing better.

My plans looks a bit like moebo's plans. I ran 6 today (yes two days in a row, but these are pretty short runs). Tomorrow is a couch potato day given my schedule at work. Then Tuesday another run. In other news: after being berated a bit I put up my no longer injured and can run again avatar!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...howdy//...........back from knoxville

found a 2nd GreenWay that connects to the one at McFee Park I use

is that Lucky or What??

========

40s yesterday.

..........65-min trekking poles  with hills

60s today

45-min trekking without hills

(carp, hills is tough)

...........good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

New skirt in town

Some greta runs and races today!  This was a cutback week for me, so just 12.5 yesterday and 6 this morning.  Weirdly, sometimes my runs during my cutback weeks are more of a struggle...which probably just reflects the cumulative fatigue from the prior weeks.  Next week, my rest will catch up with me and I'll feel sproinky again!  I hit 400 miles for the year thus far, which was a nice milestone.

I've been working with a trainer recently.  He's a runner (2:40 marathoner) and puts me through my paces with some resistance work that is functionally related to running.  It's great, he's great, and I always find that I work out harder with a trainer than on my own, so that's a good thing.

Tomorrow we had planned to go to the Wellesley College campus to do an outdoor workout in the evening.  I asked him to send me the street address so I could plug it into my GPS, and he texted me by saying: "Mile 12 marker , then take that turn into the athletic complex. Follow road until you get to the track / soccer field parking lots." Instead of sending me the street address, he sent me instructions using Boston Marathon mile markers.  Odd, my GPS doesn't accept that...

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mariposai

It is always fun to see rtravers train for Boston. I am sure  you will be much speedier this year with the assistance of your trainer.

Stumpy, way to go with your half marathon race today.

Well, we had another lovely day here. It was 63 when I decided to run to the office to work on a contract, then ran back home. 10 miles total divided up with 2 hours of very fruitful work.

Thinking and praying for deez4boys and Steve.

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - anything at those paces is a very worthy PR.
                                Erika - unfortunately, in over 40 years of racing, I’ve only seen one RW’er in West Coast runs so it must be an East Coast phenomenon, . .kind of like 30K races.
                                First skiing in 20 years.
                                Aamos and others who have run the Frank Maier Marathon are glad it’s along coastal Highway 7 instead of turning up to Eaglecrest Ski Area at mile 11. I hadn’t been up there for 20 years since retiring down to Seattle. Skiing is hard work, at least the way we did it and, knowing I can never again duplicate the antics, acrobatics, and speeds of those days, never expected to be on the alpine slopes again. However, that all changed with Eaglecrest’s Old Timer’s Weekend with roll-back prices to $17 for rental equipment and day lift pass. Unfortunately, it included a two hour morning ski school that I had no intention of doing.
                                Fortunately as it turned out, I was expected to do it as part of the package so, instead of going back to the house when I got so disgusted with skis so comparatively short (5'1" vs. my beloved 6'7" slalom racers last used in 1995) that looked like they were made for clowns, the instructor worked on me to give up the old styles that worked on the longer boards in those day and, somehow, had me skiing so much like a pro again that I skipped the free lunch and skied nonstop to end of day, including so many consecutive 360's on the short ones during descent-after-descent that I’d almost fall over from being dizzy.
                                No races but my 1958 ski jacket with high school patch

from our 1959-60 championship year was the most antique.
                                Folks - the new short, wider, shoveled skis
                                make modern skiing a cinch, especially
                                for runners who have all the balance needed.
                                Try it if you can, you’ll like it.
                                DD
                                Not that it reminded me of all the close calls and calls I keep having in it, but on the way out in the morning to drive her DH’s beloved monster, crew-cab Dodge Ram 1500 up the narrow mountain road, of course, as she started say, “Be sure to be careful, . . .” I had to add probably somewhat (Editor: very) sarcastically, “of the car,” . . . only to be nicely corrected it was for me to be careful.
                                Thanks DD,
                                Except for me being very tired and sore, both of us survived.
                                Twocat - keep your editor out of my posts!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)