Masters Running

Surf City Marathon - episode 12 in the Perils of Ilene (Read 391 times)

#artbydmcbride

You would think by the time you are going to run your 12th marathon, you would have the whole thing down pat. Roll eyes I always like to jog a few miles the day before. Just to keep my legs loose. And this time the famous srlopez would be in town and he wanted a route to do an easy six. So this was perfect, after meeting up with some friends and him at the expo, he and I set out for a nice jog in the afternoon. On the way home, it occurred to me to pick up some stuff at the grocery store so I parked, and as I slipped into some long pants next to my car the door swung shut and locked. With my keys and money, cell phone etc. safely locked inside. Black eye Being what I remembered as only a few miles from home, I set to jog there and locate the spare key. Getting home I was feeling tired so I called my brother who came and took me back to my car. Unfortunately the spare key I had grabbed was not the right one and I still couldn’t open my car. Luckily my brother has AAA roadside assistance and they agreed to come out even for me if he was present. So after the nice AAA man broke into my car, my brother had guilted me into stopping by and visiting my mother. Mom had a big greasy meatloaf she wanted me to eat a portion of, but I was canny enough to avoid and when I got home I made a bowl of simple pasta. I’m no dummy! Now it is very late, but I organize my running gear for the next day, and try to get a good night’s sleep before the alarm goes off at 4:00 am. <sigh> Clowning around My goals for this race were simple; see that my friend finished his first marathon, and have an okay race myself. Technically both goals were achieved Smile but by mile 17 I felt sick as a dog. Eating a larabar the volunteers were handing out was one mistake, and I spent some time in a beach bathroom dealing with that. Ingesting something called ‘energy beans’ that included 40 mg of caffeine and some quantity of B12, was another mistake. Normally I don’t get stomach issues while running, so feeling the urge to puke while in a marathon was new territory. It sapped my will and instead of wanting to run to finish, I just wanted to lay down and die. Of course a merciful death was not in the cards so I slogged to the finish line before puking. As Spareribs would say, the important thing is that each race be a learning experience, and I feel I have learned a lot, even if some of these lessons I have learned before. I need a better mileage base going in to a marathon and the winter holiday season is not ideally suited to that. Eat nothing new, especially during the race. And…keep a spare key hidden somewhere on the outside of your car. Big grin I did get a really great finisher's medal too! Smile </sigh>

Runners run

coastwalker

Hi Ilene, Its really the pits when you are looking forward to having a good race, and almost everything, it seems, goes wrong. I feel terrible that you had such a rough time at the SCM. But I'm glad that the awful experience was mitigate somewhat by having a good day-before run with the famous Sr.L. But lessons learned; life goes on; and bring on the next race! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

xor

You should have had Pizza By The Slice with me instead of meatloaf! I bet you did sample the meatloaf, didn't you? Right? No? Oh my. I didn't know anything at all about "the rest of the story". So basically, you did 10-12 miles the day before a marathon. Ooops. When I saw you at your M18-M19, I thought you looked pretty ok. I missed the signs. It sounds like you are coherent again, which is good. Sorry about the pukes. I visited one of those nice beach bathrooms myself, though without nearly so gnarly a cause. Or outcome. Tight lipped No Undecided

Tramps

Oh, Ilene, that sucks! Glad you survived. (Did your friend finish okay?) The medium run the day before a marathon was bad enough, but eating energy bars and beans?! Yuck!Dead I'm a stickler for this rule: Don't do anything on marathon day that you haven't tried in training.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Well, you learn something new every day right? Or in your case, you get to RE-learn somethings you should've known before! I'm glad you avoided the merciful death though. We're kind of glad to have you hang around. Hey, #12 is in the bag and time to look for a better time next time. Hey... you're almost maniac material, ya know?
              Oh that sounds horrible!! I bet you never even had a training run go that badly! I hope you don't stop running marathons because of one bad energy bar, or whatever. Most people would have quit. Well at least you had a celebrity run the day before. Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

#artbydmcbride

You should have had Pizza By The Slice with me instead of meatloaf! I bet you did sample the meatloaf, didn't you? Right? No? Oh my. I didn't know anything at all about "the rest of the story". So basically, you did 10-12 miles the day before a marathon. Ooops. When I saw you at your M18-M19, I thought you looked pretty ok. I missed the signs. It sounds like you are coherent again, which is good. Sorry about the pukes. I visited one of those nice beach bathrooms myself, though without nearly so gnarly a cause. Or outcome. Tight lipped No Undecided
                I should have! Pizza is usually my downfall also, but it would have been worth it to hang out with you more. Smile

Runners run

yikes - what a bummer!! but you finished and on to lucky #13 --- well i'm sure it won't have anything to do with luck but will be filled with good training!! sorry #12 didn't turn out the want you planned, but you are a strong woman and strong finisher!!

denise

TammyinGP

the stomach issues sound horrible Ilene - but you "gutted" it out and finished rather than dying, so I'd say it was a good day! Tongue cool finisher's medals and backdrop. I remember seeing a blue sky like that once upon a time . . . in a land far far away . . .

Tammy

Yikes, sorry to hear about the nausea Ilene. You are one tough cookie to have gotten back out there and actually finished the race when you felt like lying down instead! I hope your friend appreciates you. Very very cool finishers medals. Sounds like you got to learn some good lessons from this experience - or maybe just be reminded of them!

Once a runner . . .

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh Ilene - stomach problems are the worst! Way to go toughing it out anyway - you really earned your finishing medal, which, btw, is indeed very kewl.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Way to finish the marathon, Ilene, even though so many things went wrong. You sure toughed it out. Congratulations. TomS
                          Henrun

We're always learning-unfortunately, applying that knowledge often requires several learning sessions. Regardless, number 12 is in the bag. Congratulations!

jules2

Well done, the main thing is that you toughed it out and finished, the next one should be a piece of cake easier

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

wildchild

Carolyn

That sounds tough, and you sound tougher! You've paid your dues so the next race should be perfect!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.