Masters Running

40/40 Thread for week ending 2/3/08 (Read 597 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

For those of you who are new, this is the 40/40 thread, for those who are over 40 years old who run or aspire to run 40 miles/week. We give Free Passes to those who come really close or try really hard... Here's what I have for the tally for last week. Let me know if there are any corrections or additions.
    WhoMilesCommentary
    CNYrunner66.8 Moving into some serious mileage.
    Twocat55 And all on a treadmill – wow!
    Perch52.4 Lots of fast miles and no rest.
    Holly51.92nd 50-mile week since August.
    Tramps41 With some fast intervals and tempo work.
    SirWalksalot 39.68 Almost 14 miles on Saturday, followed by 12 on Sunday – whew!
    Pfriese37.2 With a 5K race on Saturday – nice job.
    Evenflein34.9 Including hiking in Catalina – I’m so jealous…Smile
    Predawnrunner34.6 Topping off the week with an excellent 12-mile@MP run.
    PeterNC30 Issue with foot this week, but thankfully resolved.
    Breger11{{{Bill}}} – very sick this week, but wisely resting up – you’re doing the smart thing. You don’t need it to turn into pneumonia, Bill.
    PJH Free Pass Recovering from an Achilles tendon injury.
    Wa5yom Free Pass Well-deserved for this very hard worker.
    Rgreen45 Free PassHaven't heard from you since your birthday, Ray. Hope you had a great time
    Here's my plan for the week ahead (nothing new - yawn):
    DayPlanActualCommentary
    Monday00 Weights and abs
    Tuesday8-109.5 Rain made me switch out my hill day. 3 miles @ MP instead.
    Wednesday77 Treadmill - 1st 6 miles, 9:50, last mile, 7:47
    Thursday8-1011.1 Hill workout and last mile at MP
    Friday00 Weights and abs
    Saturday77.5 Easy pace
    Sunday2020.05 Ave pace 9:51
    Total50-5455.2

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks as always Holly! Here's the plan (weights and abs work 3 x week) 1/28 6-8 miles steady pace 8 steady 1/29 12 with 4-9 at tempo pace12.5 with middle miles at tempo pace 1/30 6-7? with SkipAZ! 7.7 with Skip and all was well with the world 1/31 4---off 2/1 10 with 6x8 minutes hard/3 minutes rest10.3 with 6x8 minutes hard ---7:18,7:21 (hilly),7:18,7:16,7:16,7:09 2/2 4-6 steady pace22 miles at 8:54 pace 2/3 22 with last 4 miles as progression down to 7:306.6 shakeout run, 8:33 pace Total= 67.1 CNY

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Thanks, Holly! Let the 60's begin!
        DayPlan Actual Comments
        Monday REST+ X-Train3.2 miMagical Healing Miles for Tory @ AHR 138 (+ 50 pushups)
        Tuesday8 mi w/ 1000m@5K/2 min jog8.2 mi8:02 pace w/ 4 x 1000m avg 7:06
        Wednesday13 mi m-LR13 mi8:36 pace, AHR 151, very hilly
        Thursday6 mi recovery w/ 6x100m strides6 mi9:16 w/ 11 x 120m strides
        Friday6 mi recovery 6 miAHR 140
        Saturday9 mi GA9.2 mi 7:57 pace AHR 158 w/7mi 7:45
        Sunday18 mi LR19.2 mi8:48 pace AHR 149 nice hilly trails
        Totals:6064.7good mix

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

evanflein

Thanks, Holly. I updated last week's thread just this morning... Getting back in the saddle I guess. Time to dig out the ol' schedule and see where I'm at...
          Day Plan Actual Comments
          Monday XT Day30 mins/8.03 miles on the stationary bike... Also walked 2 miles...
          Tuesday4-5 w/Tempo8 miles Tempo Progression peaking at 7:42 @ mile 6
          Wednesday8 miles5 miles3 EZ @ 8:57, 2 MP @ 8:34
          Thursday5 miles6 miles4 EZ, 2 @ MP
          Friday Rest Day2.25 mile walk with DH
          Saturday8 miles8.05 of hillsYeah! Only -6 so outside I went!
          Sunday16 miles1813.2 miles outside at avg -20 temps; last 4.8 miles inside on the treadmill!
          Totals:41-42 Miles45 actual total
            My mileage as been creeping up lately and found myself running 40+ last week..... I hope you don't mind me joining in here.... it's been a long time (over a year) that I've posted in the 40/40 Here's my plan.... S- 12 easy (done) M- rest (done) T- 7.5 progressive (done) W- 8 easy (done) Th - rest (done) F - 7.5 easy (done) S - 5.5 easy in preparation for Sunday 5K (done) Total - 40.5
              Need one of those free pases again...but,,,,I might hit 40 this wee...just not sure...

Marathon Maniac #957

Slojim - come on in, the water's just fine! Smile Peter - do you live in Virginia Beach? I have a brother who lives in Chesapeake.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly thank you as always for running this thread. I am back from traveling so that good news is no more treadmill running! The bad news is no more skiing either. Sad
                  DayPlanActualCommentary
                  Monday10 10.04 Tempo run. 5 miles @ HM pace. Boy glad that is over with!
                  Tuesday14 14.16 Only Pfitz could call this a medium long run. The man has no mercy!
                  Wednesday0 0 Success!
                  Thursday11 12.16 With a few hill charges thrown in for good measure.
                  Friday5 5.35 Got out before the big rain storm. Whew!
                  Saturday21 21.07 Longest run of the cycle so far! Now done! Done! Done! Smile
                  Sunday8 8.07
                  Total69 70.85

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Well, let's see what we can get back to this week. I'm hoping for an easy base-building week of mid-40's or so. But if I'm not feeling great I'll ramp it back down.
                    DayPlanActualComments
                    MondayPlanned Rest Day0 milesDid it!
                    Tuesday6 miles easy7 miles easy8:56 min/mile pace
                    Wednesday5 miles recovery5 miles9:14 min/mile Avg HR 127!
                    Thursday10 miles easy10.25 milesProgression MLR. MP+60 secs. down to Tempo/HMP
                    Friday6 miles recovery6.1 miles9:14 min/mile
                    Saturday5 miles easy5.4 milesTreadmill 8:37 min/mile pace
                    Sunday16.25 miles easy16.25 miles8:55 min/mile pace with miles 13 to 15 at MP
                    Totals:45ish50.00
                    Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Can I play too Smile First time looking at the 40/40 thread..pretty cool Holly Cool Day Mon - 8.5 Tues - 10.0 Weds - 1 hour bike trainer - blizzard conditions to run outside Thurs - 8.0 Fri - rest Sat - 2 hours on cycling trainer - 40 miles hard - too much ice on streets to run Sun - 12.0 Total - 38.5 If I would have remembered, I would have run that last 1.5 miles yesterday to hit 40 miles. But the weather for 2 days last week made outside running impossible and I hate driving to the Y to use the dreadmill. Holly....perty please...oh beautiful woman who only looks 28 years old...can I borrow 1.5 hours and pay it back this week with extra mileage Wink Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Marathon Maniac #957

Tim - jump right in anywhere. Twocat made up a macro that formats the tables for you. If you e-mail me at hollys4874 at yahoo dot com, I will send you the template.

evanflein

Is that macro different from the formatting 2Kat posted earlier? I've been copying and pasting my table into the new thread every week, and it seems to be getting messier each time. Like, what's with that < at the top of my table? i can't see that in the editing screen. holly, if it's something different, could you send me an e-mail? thanks. at="" the="" top="" of="" my="" table?="" i="" can't="" see="" that="" in="" the="" editing="" screen.="" holly,="" if="" it's="" something="" different,="" could="" you="" send="" me="" an="" e-mail?=""></ at the top of my table? i can't see that in the editing screen. holly, if it's something different, could you send me an e-mail? thanks.>

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - I'll send it to you tonight. I't basically a Word table, but then, after you have filled in what you want, you run the macro, and viola! - it creates all that computer lingo that you cut and paste into the post, and again, like magic, you have a lovely formatted table. It's all beyond me - Twocat is the genius. Smile

Erika, I think you have an extra {/TR} near the end of your table stuff. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Thanks Holly! I've been playing it by ear, running as time allows, so I've got no plan. But posting here keeps me motivated to get my 40 in one way or another! Mon--rest Tues--7.5, including 5-mile tempo @ 7:18 Wed--easy 7.6 @ 9:00 Thurs easy 8 @ 8:40 Fri 5 easy 5 @ 8:54 Sat rest Sun under the weather; no run Sad 28.1

Be safe. Be kind.