Masters Running

Frosty Friday too! 12.12.14 (Read 29 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I was at an all-day conference yesterday that dealt with shoreline management issues in the face of sea level rise. I'm sure it would have been boring as bloody hell for most folks, but I met some terrific people, and got a lot out of the day's talks and workshops.

I heard another bat flying around the bedroom at around 2:30 this morning. There was little I could do about it then, so I just pulled the blankets up a little more and went back to sleep. DW never heard it. I'll try to deal with it after dark today.

I went 3.5 slippery and slidey miles this morning. The roads were damp from yesterday's rains, and the temp must have continued to drop a bit while I was out there 'cause the roads were OK when I headed out, but too slick to get enough traction by the time I had done about 2.5 miles. So I turned for home, and changed to running (less traction required) for the rest of the way. Not my best workout, but it'll do.

I have to ketchup on all that I missed yesterday, so I'll just wish you all a greta Friday and get on with it.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think you have a seriously confused bat, Jay.  Black ice warnings posted as I hit NH this morning, but glad that none materialized.

Hoping to avoid C25K reboot over the weekend.  Between sore foot at Thanksgiving and travel, my running was the major victim.  Now I just got an implant (dental, so there's no confusion) and instructions say no exertion for three days.

This may be my last day in the office for the rest of the year, as I have another startup next week and then vacation until 1/2/15.  (Have to practice the new year already  Wink

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good morning.

I'm on a roll: another four miles this morning.

After days of dire warnings from tv “newscasters” standing in rain and wind with a backdrop of crashing waves, a puny parcel of the big storm that’s been inundating other parts of the West Coast <<<(fatozzig/fatozzig - ilene/ilene)>>> knocked out power for 70,000 customers in the Seattle area last night but, fortunately, had abated enough by dawn just in time for another misty moonlight run over-and-around fallen, broken branches.
        I haven’t heard of any damage to the decrepit Depression era Deception Pass Bridge that’s featured in wildchild’s 50K on Sunday but, in the unlikely event Bernoulli stays away from the sheer cliffs that plunge 200' down to raging riptides and whirlpools, the quarter-mile crossing of narrow walkway and skimpy railing added as an after-thought by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's should be uneventful, . . . . I hope so.  good luck carolyn.
        ps - are there any “I’m from Colorado, so what?” t-shirts.

. ...  . . . ...................

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Jay, I can't even imagine the mayhem if my DW woke up and discovered a bat in the room!!

Not frosty here at all, but a calm, overcast 30F which turned out to be IRC for my first outdoor run since the 23rd of November. Ran 4 sproinky miles and felt greta! (And please don't ask what Greta thought about that ). I wore my knee sleeve and kept monitoring for signs of trouble, but so far so good. I was actually so energetic after the long layoff that I had a hard time holding back to a reasonable EZ pace.

Now the thing to do is to not try to "make up for lost time," but to continue to ease back into it. I might meet some people tomorrow morning for a short run-walk, but then no running for a couple days after that. I'm definitely skipping Sunday's club-sponsored 5K.

Have a good weekend everyone, and good luck on all those "Jingle Bell Run" type events.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Bats and bridges and storms and vacations and frosty workouts.....sounds busy already...

DD had a dental appt. this morning and begged ne to let her pick up her books from school afterward and stay home today.  She hasn't missed a day yet, and I know she's worn out from basketball 6 days/week, so I relented, and she is on the other side of the living room now, sprawled out on the sectional with the animals working on schoolwork.

Some idiot/jerk left a bucket of white paint in the roadway yesterday.  A van traveling ahead of me in the lane on my right had an RTA bus turn onto the road in front of it from a side street, so the driver panicked and crossed two lanes in front of me, ending up in the middle passing lane, and knocking the bucket, spewing white paint, across my lane just in time for me to drive through it, splattering white paint all over my tires and the driver side of my car.    Guess what I'll be doing all weekend....

Tet - I buried my MP3 player in a cup of rice as soon as I pulled it out of the washing machine, left it there for two days, and now it seems to be working again...

Okay, I have to get back to my deed-drafting now....

6 easy-paced mile for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

A runner who posted in another forum for awhile had a shirt that said "Sea Level is for Sissies."  Love it!

If there was a bat in our house, you can bet I'd be totally freaking out!!!!

Twokitty - Sorry, we love pork.  Pork, pork, and then more pork.  My brother said he has a couple of turkeys in his freezer and could bring one.  Personally, I'm opting for The Hub to smoke a pork butt.  It's so frigging good!  We got them unbelievable cheap at Winco a few months ago and still have two or three in our freeze.

The brother said they don't care about the decorations (I knew they wouldn't), but we'll put up a few things, just to make things cheerier.  The real big PITA is I now have to clean the extra bathroom and bedroom.  *sigh* Where am I going to put all the stuff I'm storing in the tub?? I have a rather large reserve of paper products in there.  . . . . Just sayin' that when the poo hits the fan and the country is running low on TP, I'm gonna be making some money.   Carolyn may have seen my reserve when she was here in May.

I had a beautiful predawn 5-miler this a.m.  Lots of stars and just enough cloud cover to make a really pretty contrast.  I stopped at one point, turned off my headlamp and just took in the quiet and beauty.

Now it's raining cats and dogs outside.  The skies to the west over the ocean were incredibly dark when I left for work, and I got here just in time!

Tonight is our office Christmas party.  It's at a nice restaurant in Trinidad called Larrupin Cafe.  It's expensive, so I'm glad the food's on the office!  They make a mustard sauce that I absolutely love.  Yummo!  It's fantastic on a bagel with cc, tomato, red onion, and smoke salmon.  Oh my!!

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

wildchild

Carolyn

The real big PITA is I now have to clean the extra bathroom and bedroom.  *sigh* Where am I going to put all the stuff I'm storing in the tub?? I have a rather large reserve of paper products in there.  . . . . Just sayin' that when the poo hits the fan and the country is running low on TP, I'm gonna be making some money.   Carolyn may have seen my reserve when she was here in May.

I had a beautiful predawn 5-miler this a.m.  Lots of stars and just enough cloud cover to make a really pretty contrast.  I stopped at one point, turned off my headlamp and just took in the quiet and beauty.

Leslie, I remember your guest shower very well!    Interesting place to use for storage, I thought.  How about putting the extra TP in the garage, or under the bed?  Oh, and your run sounds lovely!

Roachrunner, happy to hear your run went well, too!

I'll just take the pups for another short taper run today - it's warm enough for shorts here again!  I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for Seattle, racing Sunday, and then DD and I leave together for Mexico on Tuesday - we'll meet DH in Phoenix and fly from there together to Cabo.  My sister is watching Tazzie and Ladybug for us while we're away.  Looking forward to the beach and umbrella drinks! 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

janie b good

the usual:  3.29 t'mill miles.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Attn wildchild - Seattle storm warnings cancelled. 
                    Sunshine advisory in effect for Saturday/Sunday. 
                    Bring shorts, shirtless, and protective lenses. 
                    Have fun.  lucky.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Good thoughts and recovery to those who are injured, Rochrunner, Sally and Aamos.  Fleet feet to any running races this weekend.

Jay - I don't see how you go to so many meetings. Yikes, bats! We used to get a lot of those at our old house. Tennis rackets are a good weapon.

Holly - Who leaves paint on a highway?!!  Crazy.

Janie - I bet you looked dazzling at that party the other night. I get to go out tonight and am glad I don't have to wear a surgical boot. I can't wait to be able to wear boots some day, maybe even heels.

Twocat – I need to browse your recipes and try something new for the holidays when all the kids are home.

Leslie – storms, yikes! Bed-head hair, double yikes! Prayers sent for your brother.  Glad you get to entertain him and dad for Christmas.

Tet – you have a running streak going now.  Is there a sekrit plan?  I need just 53 miles to get too 500 for the year but that does not seem possible.

I saw my podiatrist yesterday.  Actually took off most of the bandage before I went so that I could get a shoe on.  Everything looks okey-dokey and I came in to work for 4 hours, then all day today.  The toe is very stiff (and numb) but I can swim, bike and walk.  It is not very flexible yet so sure hope that improves (patience, patience, patience).  I do like to run in the snow, but it might be a month or so before I get a chance to enjoy being outside.  I will be joining Tammy and Stumpy on the C25K!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Jay, I can't even imagine the mayhem if my DW woke up and discovered a bat in the room!!

Jay, I can't even imagine the mayhem if I woke up and discovered a bat in the the room!!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I thought for sure somebody would have posted since my last little post...everybody must be out Christmas shopping.  Oh, why did you bring that up?!  I haven't even started yet!

I went 10 miles in 1:19:16.

Tomorrow, I will spend the day fighting the crowds and the traffic.  I have to be completely done with my two girls and their families.  They are going to Florida on the 22nd so we're doing a little Christmas with them on the 20th.  And, since I get no time during the week to do anything but work, run, and wrestling practice...this weekend is it.

Okay, I guess that's all I got.  I'm really not a whole lot of fun, am I?  I'm like this in real life, too.  See ya!

StarrRuns five words:  Maple mashed bourbon sweet potatoes!  After that you can pretty much skip the rest of the meal!

No running for me today.  DW, SIL and I flew out for DW's niece's wedding tomorrow.  Now I just have to stay awake through dinner.  Somehow I do not remember having this much trouble with jet lag in my 20's and 30's.  Must be the space time continuum getting longer or something.  Zzzzz

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

StarrRuns five words:  Maple mashed bourbon sweet potatoes!  After that you can pretty much skip the rest of the meal!

these would pretty much wreck my 2 1/2 years of sobriety not to mention MrStarr's 1 year! Any other ideas? Have fun at the wedding.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

By the time you are done making the potatoes, the alcohol will be long gone. The bourbon is just for flavor. But if you do not even want the bottle around I have a very good crown roast recipe, but not on my Allrecipes page. If you want it let me know and I can post a link to it. It is from the Wall Street Journal and you can find it by looking for the recipe for A Regal Crown Roast.  A good bread recipe is my own Irish brown bread. Easy, fast and yeast hassle free! Gotta love chemical risers!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/