Masters Running

Toosday or 2'sday (which one mary) 29th July (Read 525 times)

The Jogger

Morning Gang Just a nice 8 mile hilly trail today. It was a good bit cooler after last night's rain and enjoyable. Anyway 8m 01:30:15 @ 11:17 pace AHR 143 66% WHR Good Runs All Roy
      Nice longish run, Roy! I almost feel like I shouldn't be posting, as I have barely had time to skim the dailies. I hope you all don't mind my transmit only mode for a bit. Warm and humid again today @ 69°F and 84% humidity. But the run was recovery for 3 then I picked it up a bit and the heat didn't bother me at all. 5.1 miles @ 8:36/mi, 43:39, AHR 143 Have a great day today.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice Crazy 8's today Roy! 8's here too 8's in the 8's Ran hilly route from the Holiday Inn Express, Conover, NC to Newton, NC and back. Ran this 4 minutes faster than my fastest time which was a year ago. 8.4 mi in 1:08:26 (8:06 pace, AHR 162) 4 miles at LT effort, the plan was 7:40 for 5 LT miles but I averaged 7:42 for 4 mi. It was 70F with dewpoint of 68F so it was a very challenging run! Nice outcome Smile Split/Dist/Time/Pace Split 1 1 Mile 8:40 8:40 Split 2 1 Mile 7:55 7:55 LT Split 3 1 Mile 7:43 7:43 LT Split 4 1 Mile 7:33 7:33 LT Split 5 1 Mile 7:39 7:39 LT Split 6 1 Mile 8:51 8:51 Split 7 1 Mile 8:38 8:38 Split 8 1 Mile 8:07 8:07 Split 9 0.44 Mi 3:19 7:32 Have gr8 runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Top 'O the World!

...........but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!! Big grin Just popping in to say "Hi!" no run or boot camp this am..so, here I am on the computer....have an appt w/foot Dr. later... Sad
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Marathon Maniac #3309

Goody Morning all Smile Nice 8's guys....guess I need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express Big grin Hate to break the streak, but 6.5 easy miles for me at 8:50 pace. I called my running shoe store yesterday and asked about my soreness and the last shoes I bought there. This is a real good store who analyzes gait on a treadmill with pictures and fits a person with appropriate shoes. She asked if I had Incorporated more speed work lately as she has found that is when most experience my kind of problems. I told her yes and she recomended heel lifts which I happened to have a pair. After about 2 miles my heels and calves hurt sooo much, I had to stop and take the lifts out, then felt a lot better...I was a little concerned messing around with such a change. I may ease up on any speed work for a while and see if that helps...and I think I will order a new pair of shoes today to make sure my new shoes are not causing the problems. Man, heat wave going on here, and it's supposed to get into the mid to upper 90's with the heat index into the 100's Shocked Hey Bruce....did you get your Garmin as planned, and get it set up? Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

No run for me so far. Woke up at 4:30 AM, realized I was tired, so decided to sleep in and catch up on some zzzzz's. It's amazing how cranky my legs feel when I don't run in the morning. I'm hoping to get in some speedwork at the HS Track tonight after work - Thunderstorms willing. Holly I'm not Tramps but here's a list of some software that works with the Garmin Forerunner. You probably have Garmin's Training Center already but I included it in the list anyway just in case. Some are free, others are not. All probably offer a free trial period at least so you can play around with them and see what works the best for you. Bill Training Center: http://www8.garmin.com/trainingcenter/ Sport Tracks: http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/ Motion Based: http://www.motionbased.com/ Training Peaks: http://www.trainingpeaks.com/products/gpsmapping.asp

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Morning all, I got to bed late last night and didn't plan on running but decided to get in a quick run before heading out to work. 5.23 miles of hills @ 9:25 pace

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning, all! Roy - good hilly mid-distance run to kick us off! Perch - definitely a gr8 workout ;-). Twocat - congratulations on the article - title??? Journal name??? Erika - I tried on a pair of Brooks Defyance - the toe box just wasn't wide enough for me. I am alternating a pair of New Balance 1061's right now. They are not perfect but the closest to the Nimbus that I've found so far. The weatherman lied this morning - he said low humidity. I think I'll shoot him. 7.10 hot, humid and hilly miles this morning @10:17 pace -average HR of 159. We had a turkey family in the yard yesterday morning - mom, dad and 5 youngsters. We're thinking about putting up and automatic feeder to try to bring in a whole flock. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Rest day for me - off to the beach with my kids and some friends. Low 80s, low humidity. Whoo hoo!

Marathon Maniac #3309

We had a turkey family in the yard yesterday morning - mom, dad and 5 youngsters. We're thinking about putting up and automatic feeder to try to bring in a whole flock.
                      Nothing like preparing for Thanksgiving early Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

Ribs, things sure are moving fast. I can't wait for you to be all fixed. Well, i'm behind again. thanks so much for all the encouragement regarding my run Sunday!! Holly, Karin, TW, Busiman, Twocat, DickyG, Toms, .... sorry if I forgot anybody. It meant a lot, because I know that it would have just been a recovery run for the rest of you! TW, I love the Halt idea. hunting expedition. Smile. I'll have to get an appropriate hat. What worries me most is those moments on my knees, reaching way back under a bush to pull some weeds. Thought about hiring a neighborhood kid to sit there with the can of Halt. And a hat. DickyG, that's perfect. Billy Bob has his own bowls ready, washed & waiting. I even got him a rhinestone collar. Big grin. Do you live in Roanoke? Tramps, I loved your Kloss find. I always thought he was a very dear man, but a bit unique in his writing style! I still have all my jars downstairs labeled with the herbs & their benefits.. 'antiseptic', etc. 'anti-putrefactant' was always a fun thought. erika, what a great run. glad DS joined you. Enke, I do. (wonder about the # of looks vs posts) then I remember how many time I look just to keep up, but don't have the time or energy to post... & I hope that's most of it. Haven't even looked at today yet.
                        DickyG

Yeah...what's with all the views yesterday...was Big Brother watching us? Twocat: If you're already 2nd in your age group & they award the tees for the top 3, why do you think you're out of contention? As far as NY Marathon goes, I see you finishing 19th...right behind 18 Kenyans. And congrats on your publication award...that's great. Mari: You got an award too? Tell us about it. Aamos: "The Falacy of the Historical Dicotomy: why the "either'or" distinction is obsolete in Sino-Soviet Diplomacy"? Actually, I wrote that paper, not Twocat. His had to do with replacing your divots. Tall: "Thinking barbecued shrimp and steak with a nice homemade salad and strawberry cream puffs could work." I got dibs on leftovers...sounds great. Perch: Huge effort in this mugitude. dg: Billy Bob is excited...he bit me three times yesterday for practice. We live about an hour south of Roanoke. Think I screwed up my knee a little playing basketball last night...maybe just bruised. Anyway, ran 4.1 miles on the hills this morning...9:27 pace...a little slower than yesterday on the same course but temps were 10 degrees warmer today...so not too displeased. The rest of the day will be spent working on a rebuttal to Twocat's paper. DickyG

Marathon Maniac #957

Bill – thank you! Today at the gym: 20 minutes on the elliptical 3 minute jog 20 minutes on the elliptical 3 minute jog 10 minutes elliptical 3 minute jog. Tomorrow it will be 5 weeks since I injured this stupid thing, and I see no end in sight. While biking and the elliptical don’t seem to directly work the strained tendon, even 3 minutes of running and I can feel it start to meltdown. Today, all of a sudden, I’m more than frustrated – I’m feeling devastated about it. Good grief, ridiculously, I’m in tears about it. I feel like I’m never going to run again. I know that’s probably not true (I hope it’s not true), but surely after all this time I should see SOME improvement. I have asked myself, am I doing too much with the elliptical and bike, but honestly, they don’t cause me any pain at all (other than the hard bike seat). The only thing I can't do is run. I know I have so many things in my life to be grateful for, and it seems silly, even to me, that I should be so affected by not being able to run, but today, just today, I can hardly bear it. Sad (sigh) Thanks for letting me whine...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

....yes dg//......Hat Attire is Crucial to Dog Hunting Expeditions....... ========== ....30min eeeeeasy run........already in the 80's... ..Allergy Season is here with a Vengence...... was afraid my Head was gonna Explode....... then I was afraid it WASN'T....... ......................good running guy.............Snot Free Running to Ya.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Why does Breger point out to us that he isn't Tramps? I thought we all knew that? Perch, looked almost like a progression run didn't it? Nice workout. Taking the day off from walking as I have a mess of medical stuff to do today, pre-op stuff plus the consult with the surgeon. Tim, you recently had some ankle problems and now you have a bit of foot pain. Inserts are not the answer here. Simply back off the speed for a week or so. It won't do your conditioning any harm. Use good judgment here. Let me share a story with everyone from 1989: The Houston Astros were in a pennant race with the Cubs and the Cards. It's late iin the season, and I am listening to the Astros-Mets game on the FAN in NY with my son SpareTire. I am a Mets fan and listened to WFAN all the time. The Mets had won the World Series 3 years previously, beating the Astros for the NL crown. Now they are down by a run in the last inning of this game and have men on base, very exciting game. Well, the Astros have this reliever named Juan Agosto, whose low ERA belied his inability to close a game and now they are going to bring him in to face the Mets next hitter. I am jubilant! The announcer says, and I paraphrase here: "And now they're bringing in a new pitcher. What's this? He's calling for Juan Agosto! Juan Agosto? Where's Dave Smith? The Astros are in a pennant race. This is no time for Juan Agosto!" My son and I laughed so hard at this obvious dis of Agosto by the Fan announcer, and ever since that day the expression, "This is no time for Juan Agosto" has been used by us to refer to any situation where you cannot afford to do something half-heartedly, incorrectly, or foolishly. You have to bring on your best performance, your best thinking. So Tim, take a week off from speed. This is no time for Juan Agosto. Spareribs