Masters Running

Tuesday - 2/17 (Read 40 times)

Dave59

Going to run for an hour at lunch.

Here is what work is like right now.  We are in a runaway train headed for the end of the line.  No one knows if the train can be brought under control or stopped in time.  The people in the control room don’t believe there is a problem and get angry with anyone making a suggestion that something may be wrong.

Many people on the train don’t fully understand the situation and are going about their normal business.  They exist in a surreal bubble of ignorance.

Some are in denial.  Mainly so they can suck-up to the people in the control room.

The rest know that a crash is almost 100% certain so they are doing what they can to try to limit the damage. Some are writing letters to loved ones to read should they not survive. (Checking the job market, bringing resumes up to date, etc.)

The only question left is the extent of the damage.  Who will survive?  What will the extent of the injuries be?

It’s a real cliff hanger.

(I don’t understand why some people tell me I can be over dramatic.)

Dave -   One of my favorite lines from a movie is, "Drama, drama, drama!"  I use it often.

Holly - With the exception of three or four holidays, we're closed when the court is closed.  With the exceptions, we stay open, but usually only with half staff as it's a "star" holiday; meaning, they need enough staff here to run the office, and if you work, you get a comp day somewhere else.  I like it.  Since Shorty is usually working, I'd rather work and get an extra vacation day elsewhere where it suits me better.

Tet - High heels on a trail???  I would definitely break something.

Tom - Once you have your hip replaced, your life is going to be SO much better!

Speaking of trails - My buddy, Karen, is co-heading up one of the aid stations at Western States, at the river crossing.  We found out our assignment over the weekend.  She's in charge of finding people to man the rope that goes across the river.  There's something like 20+ people stretched out along the rope as long as there are runners crossing - day and night.  I'm not sure how many hours we spend in the water at a time, but I need to find some waders to help stay warm, especially at night.  It's going to be so much fun!!!

In other news, since I'm feeling so frigging chatty ....

Today is my last day of work for a week and a half.  Woo hoo!!  Between working here for 6 hrs yesterday and working at home for another 5, I had a long day yesterday, but finished the transcription that I needed to get done.  Now I can go and not have that job hanging out over my head when I return.  I have another job already, but they knew I was leaving.

This morning it was 6 in very foggy conditions.  I like running in the fog in the dark. Seemed like there were more suspicious characters out and about, but maybe it was because I was running a little later than usual.

Tomorrow I'll get up and get in my stat biking, then take off for the drive down to Oakland.  I've become an avid shopper at Goodwill and Salvation Army stores when I'm in more well to do areas, so I've already plotted my stops along the way.

Have a good day ~

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

3 miles with the Saint at the Park today, high 30's and sunny, no wind, quite pleasant.  In order to annoy the people who keep posting pictures of snow, I had some fun with them this morning on FB, complaining about our weather.  They smoked it out in a hurry however, so it kind of backfired.

My son came home Sunday with a sad story.  One of the kids who works at his supermarket is a fine young man, maybe 16 or 17 years old. He is a bagger and helps people take groceries out to their car.  Every time he has bagged my groceries he always initiates a friendly conversation and everyone in the store likes him.

On Sunday he was bagging some woman's groceries and she said, "Next time I come in this store I don't want you to bag my groceries. I don't want any of your kind touching my things."  The young man just said, "Okay," and not a word more.  My son and the other managers noticed that he seemed downcast the rest of the day, and asked him why. He told them what happened.

The GM of the store and one of the other managers spent the afternoon going over the camera recordings to locate the woman and ask this fine young African American employee to identify her, so the GM can inform her that she will not be permitted to return to the store. He told the kid, "We won't have her kind in here any more."

I am so angry over this.  Spareribs

Ribs -   I can't even imagine. HUGE kudos to the manager, et al., for ferreting out the problem and the abuser and refusing to service her anymore.

FYI - I thought of you as I was dressing for my run this a.m., knowing you'd probably hyperventilate at my attire: black capris, over-sized bright construction orange running shirt, white, green, and red buff (thank you, Tet!), purple hat, and purple gloves.  Add to that a headlamp, a visibility vest, and dark blue ear pops, and I was a fine specimen of running fashion! 

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

Ribs - hard to believe that kind of stuff still happens.

I didn't quite go an hour at lunch.  5.6 miles in 56 minutes.

Henrun

2 miles on snowy walks and roads today. Slow to avoid cases and slippery spots. Only snow showers today and high teens.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Swam at lunch and am enjoying a bonus effect of outrageous temperatures:

It might get up to almost 20F today and it feels positively tropical.  I'm inclined to go for a short shuffle outdoors after work just because I can - it will clamp down again in a couple of days.

Dave, I've been on that train and it's a sickening feeling.  I hope leadership becomes able to hear from those of you in a position to see the coming calamity.

Roch, you've got me hooked on O'Brian again.  I've crashed through the first three books in little more than a week.  I can already hear my word choices and grammar patterns shifting more into line with 19th-century English naval discourse.

--

“Two weevils crept from the crumbs. 'You see those weevils, Stephen?' said Jack solemnly.

I do.'

Which would you choose?'

There is not a scrap of difference. Arcades ambo. They are the same species of curculio, and there is nothing to choose between them.'

But suppose you had to choose?'

Then I should choose the right-hand weevil; it has a perceptible advantage in both length and breadth.'

There I have you,' cried Jack. 'You are bit - you are completely dished. Don't you know that in the Navy you must always choose the lesser of two weevils? Oh ha, ha, ha, ha!”

Slo

Here's what I usually feel like Dave.

Available Here

TammyinGP

yes, it is hard to believe that such blatant racism still exists today. I'm glad the employer has his back and will refuse service to this woman. 

Our office was closed yesterday also. We close on all court holidays since criminal defense is so closely tied with the court calendar.  When I worked in personal injury, that never would have been the case, since having a court closure didn't really impact the function of the office.  The drawback then is that alot of legal offices will close on such days like Christmas Eve, NY Eve or the day after Thanksgiving. We don't close on those days since the courts are still operating. 

We had a gorgeous weekend here - fog cleared by noon and it even got warm/sunny - low 60s. Dare I even share that I planted green onions and lettuce this weekend? Of course, I'm probably setting myself up now for a late frost. But I'll take my chances that I might have lettuce to eat by the beginning of April. 

no running today as I have my monthly board meeting after work and won't get home til around 8:30 or so. long day.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

The GM of the store and one of the other managers spent the afternoon going over the camera recordings to locate the woman and ask this fine young African American employee to identify her, so the GM can inform her that she will not be permitted to return to the store. He told the kid, "We won't have her kind in here any more."

I am so angry over this.  Spareribs

So if the GM wanted to do this right, s/he'd get Ms. Jerkwad into the store,  and have her into the office.  There is, among many things on the walls, a small sign alerting folks that they may be recorded.  GM then engages her into a conversation about her precious groceries, getting her to say she doesn't want the young man bagging her groceries.  heh heh, now we got her.  Depending on who she is, we go public, we threaten to go public, (Local news, maybe).......we may have college paid for all 4 years for this fellow.

Or the GM could just hold a press conference after speaking with her, explaining what's been requesting and using his press time to explain why the store cannot abide by such requests.  Just lay it out there.  Somehow, the community needs to know that this kind of thing DOES still go on and why we all are part of the response.

O, there, I went and swiped the Soapbox again.  Ok, next?

So Dave, how soon will the train reach the end of the track, so to speak?  Any estimates?  You certainly have us following along.

Leslie, God bless you!  I've volunteered and paced at ultras, but standing in water for hours is a huge commitment and I have to hand it to you.

O henrun, "only snow showers."    I watch the news at night and just can't fathom how I would handle it.  Not well, I fear.

8 for me this morning.  Yup, I broke the 6 rut!  Starting to feel a little stronger, surer.   Which is good, as we have our crazy Distance Classic this coming weekend in Tampa.  It used to include a marathon, but now it's just 4 smaller races: 15K and 5K Saturday, then a half and an 8K Sunday.  You can do any one or combo you want.   DH is doing the 15K for sure, maybe the 8K Sunday.   I just did Sunday last year, but will do both days this year.  It's about what I usually do on a weekend, only with rests and water stops.

Good Tuesday and have good evenings,

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sayhey! MM#130

p.s.  Truck is all unloaded and many, many Red Sox are here early (well they're not stoopid, are they?) 

Marathon Maniac #957

They exist in a surreal bubble of ignorance.

Sometimes I yearn for this....

Ribs - what an awful woman!  I am so glad the manager handled it like he did.

Okay, today our tax preparer called to say that our e-filed tax return was rejected because someone else has fraudulently filed under my DH's SS number.   I am working to put freezes on our credit at all three credit bureaus.  We will have to mail in our return and let the IRS investigate it.  Unfortunately, I am told it may be years before we get this resolved (and get our tax return).  What I am really worried about is how this will affect my son's FAFSA application.

5 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Oh Holly, that's just wrong.  What happened to you should happen to that excuse of a person Ribs wrote about.  While it won't do anything to resolve your issue, you might want to call the victim's services office at the state AG and/or the local state's atty to see if they have a complaint form or some other procedure.  At least if you follow through with that, you can report that you've done so on DS's fin aid forms, etc.

As you know, the bureaucratic world lives on forms and reports.

I'm really sorry that happened to you.

mrrun

Okay, today our tax preparer called to say that our e-filed tax return was rejected because someone else has fraudulently filed under my DH's SS number.   I am working to put freezes on our credit at all three credit bureaus.  We will have to mail in our return and let the IRS investigate it.  Unfortunately, I am told it may be years before we get this resolved (and get our tax return).  What I am really worried about is how this will affect my son's FAFSA application.

this happened to my cousin also and now she has a special number with minimal problems

good luck!

''The only question left is the extent of the damage.  Who will survive?  What will the extent of the injuries be?''

..remind me

not to have dave Cheer Me Up after the surgery...

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....