Masters Running

Saturday, October 5, Autumn Runs (Read 46 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Luck to the Weekend Racers!

Here are the ones listed on the Intrepid Thread, but I know there are others as well, including Ribs' trail race and Leslie's 50K.  Hope everyone has a great run!

10/05 arf - Iron Horse Ultra 100K

10/05 Opie - St. George Marathon, St. George, UT

10/05 Mariposai - Autumn Leaf Run 10k, Okanogan, WA

10/05 Ileneforward - Chapman 5k, Orange CA

10/05 TammyinGP&son - Talent Harvest Festival 5K, Talent, OR

10/06 OrangeMat - Wineglass Marathon, Corning, NY

10/06 Ileneforward - Santa Monica 5000, SM CA

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  Man,that's a lot of miles being raced, today.  Good luck to all the races!

I'm just getting myself ready to go run with high school CC kids.  It was homecoming, last night, so maybe I'll be able to keep up with them. Actually, I think I might work with the girls, today.  It's always funny to me when I single out a kid on the team to push...of course it's not the varsity kids anymore...they just run away from me...which makes it even more surprising to the kid, because he/she wonders why I'm wasting my time with them.  But, they come to practice...on a Saturday...at 7 am...and they figure they're just going to go through the motions, then all of a sudden, this little old man is barking at them and making them put out an honest effort.  I think they all wish I'd just stay home and leave them alone.  And I would...but breakfast afterward is so dang good!

It's Ryan's birthday, today.  23 years old.  He's going to practice, too--did I tell you he's a volunteer assistant coach, this year?  Anyway, he's going but not running...he's do in the Twin Cities Marathon, tomorrow!  Woo Hoo!  I am really looking forward that!

Okay--it's time to go.  See ya!

Slo

Workin Disapprove

Got an early morning fartlek in and DD dropped off at Village Inn for a trumpet section breakfast before the band leaves for two different field competitions. She's expected home aftr midnight...Glad I am not chaperoning!

Hopefully this cold front gets here today and chaces away all this humidity. Dead

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tet--all that training is getting to you.  Always embrace the nap, though.

4.5 miles for me this morning whilst waiting for the contractor to arrive and (hopefully) finish the roof today.  We'd like it better if tomorrow is just a relaxing day.  Of course, now DW and I are having a bit of doubt on the color we picked in that it's not as dark gray as we thought it was going off the color charts.  Oh well, it's only got a 40 year warranty, so we can fix it next time around.

The standard run up in Maine is just a BIT more hilly than my lake loop at home, so while this morning was not terribly fast, it was steady and no hill walking.  I'm calling that improvement in fitness.  There does seem to be some hope that I won't totally embarrass myself at jay's race in November.

Enjoy your run with the youngsters. Mike.  Getting passed by some old guy is terrific inspiration for them.

Slo--sorry you're stuck at work.  I need to fit in a couple of hours myself this afternoon to try and save a few vacation hours from yesterday.

Good luck to the racers.  Especially Ribs.  After all his whining about trail racing, I bet he has a blast.  (and probably sneaks away with an AG on top of it)

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks holly.

Taper day for tomorrow’s Run with the Fishes 5K (nee Rotary Salmon Days 10K) and salmon BBQ with enke and maybe others. <<<(divechief/divechief)>>>
            Sorry it confirmed too late for ilene’s Intrepid to make it official.
            I’m usually posting too many that I never do.
            Hope you’re recovered enough for some

of your favorite October PR''s.

Maybe Opie, OM and others  too.
            Thanks for keeping it up.
            Happy Posie Leaves 10K

not many left, it seems.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello again!  I had a really fun time at practice.  I ran with the top girls.  I told the coach that I was going to and as I was walking up to their group I saw him talking to them.  I knew from the looks on their faces that he was telling them that they were stuck with me this morning.  I got there just in time to hear one of them say, "How fast are we going?"  Their workout for the day was a 2.5 mile at race pace speed.  A 5 minute recovery.  Then a 1.5 mile at race pace speed.  The coach had asked me to try to keep the top 3 girls together.  The top 3 have been trading places as top girl all season, so you would think they would train around the same speed.  But Kenzie is a practice super star.  She excels in practice but just doesn't perform at her best at the meets...we can't figure it out.  Anyway, sure enough, Kenzie takes off and leads the pack.  After awhile, I dropped back to try to bring the other girls up to her...they're working...and I'm barking encouragingly...but they just can't bridge the gap.  I would speed up and catch Kenzie to keep her going then drop back--I kind of did this for a bit but then stuck with the 3rd girl for the last 3/4 to keep her going.  If looks could kill, I would be a dead man.  Going up the last hill I started yelling and she took off--I couldn't hang with her!  As I came into the finish area, she was slumped over--hands on her knees--trying to catch any breath she could find.  As I walked be she said, "Will you run with me on the next one, too?"  Have I ever told you guys how much I love running with these kids?

Okay--I gotta go.  Ryan and I are going to the expo to pick up his stuff then drive the course.  I sure I hope I run into John and Julie sometime today.

Thanks for the start Holly and good luck to all racing this weekend!

Out at 9:30 for 10.7 medium long run miles, clearing skies, cool-ish at 62 and leaves very orange and red along most of the way. Errands to run, more winterizing of the garden and then the kiddo's hockey game and Saturday will be wrapped up. Live for he weekends and they still zoom by.

You should coach Mike!  Good Luck to Ryan for tomorrow too. Can't wait to hear how he does and I know you'll have a blast watching and cheering.

Tet is training? Wow, that eternally fiery place is frozen over? Smile

Tramps

What a great story, Mike.  I bet you’d be an excellent coach.

We slept with the windows open and the ceiling fan on last night, toying with turning on the AC again.  Must be race day!

Yup, a 20-miler in 100% humidity and temps that spiked up to the mid-80s by the end.  This 20-miler is a local “race” that many people use as a training run for either Richmond or Marine Corps.  My goal was to get Pfitz’s longest MP run done (20 w/14@ MP) and see if I could hold the MP pace (<8:00) through the end.  That didn’t happen.  I managed to stay at about an 8:00 pace through 15; faded in 16, then just died for the last four miles as I walked/jogged it in. The last 5 miles or so are mostly direct sunshine, the temps had spiked, it was just ugly.  Not my kind of running weather.

Here’s my positive spin: an efficient race.  All the fun of blowing up without all the hassle of running a full 26.2 miles. Smile

Hope the real racers have a better day!

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Tramps - 80's and humid?  Surprised   I've been waiting for it to get above freezing before I head out for my run, and so far it's only up to 28, and windy.  And we got 3" of snow yesterday.   Guess I'll stop feeling sorry for myself now - yours is worse.

Mike, good story!  Happy birthday to Ryan!  think it's great that Ryan is volunteering as a coach, too - you've set a good example.  Hope he runs strong at TCM tomorrow!  I'm sure you'll be out there cheering and taking pictures!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave59

10.12 miles.  First double digit run since the Green Bay half in May.  Now I'm too tired to comment on anything else, even though there is comment worthy material in today's posts.

coastwalker

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the start this morning, Holly.

Good job today with the HS CC kids, Mike. Say, do you like running with them? Happy Birthday to Ryan, and good luck to him tomorrow.

Sorry you have to work, Slo. I hope DD has a great time today!

Don't worry too much about the roof color, Kevin. Most people only notice a roof if it really stands out, like pank and green stripes. Nice work on the hills 'o Maine this morning.

Good luck in the Run With The Fishies, Tet!

Nice runs by CNY,, Dave, and Tramps!

Wildchild - I prefer your weather to Tramps', but I'm not ready for that quite yet this year.

I stopped at the farmers' market, and then had a racewalking training session at the HS track in Portsmouth this morning. I only got to walk a smidge over 3 miles, but still had a good time with the folks who showed up today. Then I went to the local running store to see what new shoes for racewalking they had. Nothing beat what I've been wearing (Mizuno Musha), so I ordered another pair. Then, a quick stop at Trader Joe's before heading home to mow the lawn, do some other yard work, and restack some firewood in the carport, in advance of any weather like WildChild's. It's been a good day!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wild, great race picture.  Mike, happy birthday to Ryan.  fatozzig, good dog rescue.

Nice long runs for CNY, Tramps, and Dave.

This morning, it was about 60 and there was some wind.  I got in 8 miles around Ludington at an 11:22 pace.

As expected, my mother was excited to spend time with her greaat grandson. I'm not sure if she realized the connection but she was thrilled to hold and feed the baby.  It was enjoyable for me to spend time with my son, daughter in law, grandson, sister, and brother in law.  The kids are leaving shortly but I will stick around and leave tomorrow morning.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E - great story!  And it will be exciting to hear about Ryan's first marathon tomorrow.

Tramps - nice that you got to blow up on a training run - all of the fun, none of the self-loathing.

We are having an unusually warm day (over 70F), sunshine too, after a cold blustery week.

I forgot to post my run yesterday - I left work at around 1pm, and did a Remi run for about 3.5 miles, in the sunny 62F Tet was talking about.  No Garmin, and lots of doggie breaks, just the way he likes it.

Now I am tapering so I can keep up with JapanJoyful#803 tomorrow.

Does taper boy need a ride to the race tomorrow?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Tet--all that training is getting to you.  Always embrace the nap, though.

Big grin

Go Spareribs go!!!

Wildchild already has 3' of snow! Wow. Our mountains did get some snow last night too, but nothing in the valley yet.

Dave59, welcome back to the double digit running!

Tramps, 20 miles in 100% humidity, ouch! Is that a normal weather for your area in the fall?

Speaking of weather, we sure had a perfect racing weather for the Autumn Leaf run today. It was around 45 with wind when the Easy Peacer and I went to place the signs on the race course, but the weather warm up beautiful before the race started. I was worried about how tired I felt after working the race course pre-race so when the race started I was not sure what to expect. I am please to say that I finished with a 4' course PR and a lifetime PR for a 10k. 53:18 is the official finish time. First place in my age group and get this...I got frickin last as well because all the 50' females decided to sleep in and they did not show up.

Now it is time go outside to plant some tulips before I clean up to go to a wine and cheese fundraiser event in the town up north. Dress up night tonight, hurrah!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hey friends - 4.2 miles yesterday morning before work to pray and clear my head!!  It's exactly 2.1 miles from the Brigham parking garage to the Boston Marathon finish line as I found out yesterday!!  I was a little nervous to head out alone in the dark, but really needed the run and Boylston Street is very well lit and suprisingly not desolate at 5:30 in the morning!!

Today - missed my running group hosted run because of stuff here.  Justin still not doing well and we're adjusting his meds every day at the advice of his dr - who by the way, called us on his own today to check up on Justin.  I was worrying that maybe he was just an old school pill pusher, but I think he really wants to work on adjusting the meds with Justin in his own environment rather than the hospital - as much as it means we are all on duty staying with him I think it's a good plan.  I also had all 4 of my sons, Liberty and Maria sleeping under our roof last night - that does a heart good!!

12.5 solo, prayer filled miles for me today.  Saw a friend sitting out on her front porch as I went by and stopped for a much needed hug!!

Have a happy, healthy weekend my friends - you are in my heart daily!!

denise