Masters Running

Sunday's Daily - May 18th (Read 37 times)

Congrats to your DD on her grand slam, Holly!

Dive - It's going to be awhile before I get my ducks in a row re the car. *sigh*

Tet - There isn't any place I can think of where I can run at night safely by myself.  There's a local guy I talked to the other day who is running WS in a few weeks.  If we get to know each other better, I might be able to get him to go with me some night, but we'll see.  But yes, I do need to get a brighter headlamp, or at least a really nice handheld to go with the headlamp I have now.

No running today.  Supposed to help The Hub with one of his yard jobs, but it's looking a bit wet out there at the moment.  If no mowing, maybe I can talk him into going to the movies.  . . . . yeah, right.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good morning leslie

Everyone must be doing long runs (or sleeping in) so us slackers'll have to get something started.

For noctural running safety/confidence, francesca tipped me off to using trekking poles.

In fact, I used them all the way to ensure a steady, moderate pace for last year's Pigtails 100.

Unfortunately, it was too steady and moderate by four hours over the cutoff.

ps mikemp - ohayou gozaimasu if you're over there yet.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

I have to remind myself that every time I get a bit discouraged, many many others have it worse.  TW's eye opener yesterday about walking being better than pool running made great sense to me.

So today I took Lucy for a 2+ mile walk.  It puzzles her that I won't take off and run her hard from time to time.  She looks back at me as if to say, "What's wrong with you?"  Soon enough Lucy, soon enough.

I saw a guy from my town on our walk today who is going through all these chemo treatments down in Houston.  His wife drives him down there.  The next to last treatment really beat him up and his body wouldn't tolerate it.  After a few blood transfusions, they have decided to have surgery to get at the last bit of cancer.  I congratulated him or his great attitude.  He said, "Ribs, they can knock me down all they want but I'm going to get right back up again."  I couldn't get that out of my mind the rest of my walk.

All the bleeding has stopped now for two days, so I am happy about that.

I liked those pictures of Ryan.  Love the hair too.

Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair
        Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
        Give me down to there, hair, shoulder length or longer
        Here baby, there, momma, everywhere, daddy, daddy

Spareribs

Twocat - thank you so much for the recap yesterday!!  I am woefully behind and can't even pretend to catch up!!

MikeE - great pics of Ryan - love seeing the smile on his face!!

Holly - congrats to your DD

Starr -- that house looks gorgeous!!  I can't believe you can get all of that and lake front in MN for $334 - I am definitely living in the wrong state (but I already knew that)

Ribs - continued healing!!

I switched shifts for an 11a-11p day today which has started off great!!  Lectored at the 7:30 mass, watched a bit of the Rick and Dick Hoyt interview, drove to work and ran 3.5 miles in my new Saucony Cortana's - love them!! and now here at work hoping the day continues to be great!!

Have a wonderful Sunday and week ahead my friends!!  The retreat I am director for is coming up quickly - the weekend of May 29-June 1, so it's crunch time for me.  After that, life should settle down a little but we all know that never really happens!!  Wink

denise

Mariposai

Good to see you, Denise.

Spareribs, what a great attitude the gentleman has. Keep healing, my friend! I can almost see Lucy's face as she has to slow down for you Smile.

Taperboy, when is the Mt. Si 50k?

Twocat, thank you so much for the great recap yesterday. Jay has us all spoiled with his daily recap for which I am always thankful.

Lovely warm weather here. The Easy Pacer and I went out for a 10k hilly run this morning and we averaged a 9:41 pace for this hilly route, our PR time on this route. Funny at mile 5 the EP took off so fast I could not catch up to him. He running so strong now-days.

Go racers go!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Behind here too and ever grateful for the recap postings and shout-outs!

Glad to see Ribs on the go again--just move forward as best you can and I know you will.

Ran 14 miles this morning with Iron J - gorgeous day

ultra Amy and her husband ran the Massanutten 100 in VA yesterday (and wee hours of this morning) He was 2nd overall by just 10 minutes or something and Amy was 4th woman and 17th overall. amazing.

I fly to Scotland tomorrow and will be back in time to register for the VT 50 miler (registration is 5/25) 

Mike E

MM #5615

I fly to Scotland tomorrow and will be back in time to register for the VT 50 miler (registration is 5/25) 

And will you be signing up for the 50k or the 50 mile?  I was putting together a 50 mile training program, yesterday...ouch...

Oh...speaking of hair...my 9th grade school picture shows why I can never say anything about anybody's hair...

Did I mention that the forecast for the Buffalo Marathon calls for the temperature to be from 52 to 72 degrees under partly cloudy skies and with a WSW wind at 9 mph....with 0% chance of rain.

Okay--I gotta run...6 miles...see ya later...

50 mile! I figure I might as well go all in!

wildchild

Carolyn

Woo hoo!   I'm still probably going for the VT 50 miler as well, but the problem is that my first 50 miler is at Bighorn on June 21, and registration for VT is May 25, so I'll have to decide if I want to run another 50 miler before I've done my first!   My ultra friends tell me sure, of course I'll want to.  They are obviously a bad influence on me.

Oh, and Karin, I hope you have fun in Scotland - and have a great race!

Mike, I love Ryan's smile!  And his hair sure is getting long since I met him a couple years ago!

Posie, your DH is getting speedy - 3rd in his AG at the Avenue!   Lucky girl - I wish my DH was a runner.

I ran the Sage Burner 50k in Gunnison, CO yesterday.   It was a pretty course, through sagebrush and rock outcroppings, with beautiful views of snow capped peaks.  They held the awards ceremony a few hours after the race finished, at a ranch near town, where they had free beer, a pasta meal, and a bluegrass band.  At the awards ceremony they didn't call F51+, so I asked them afterward, and they said there was some kind of computer glitch, but they said I was 1st AG and gave me a t shirt.  Today the results were posted on line, and it showed I was 2nd of 2 in the 51+ AG. ????   In the more standard 50-59 AG I would have been 2 of 3.  Oh, well, it's all good.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

.......g a r n ///////..............spent the whole morning switching over and hooking up my new Window 8 computer

if they do this to me again, I want to know Where They Live.............

=========

..........20min bikeride this morning,,,,,,,,,,,,not great, but didn't hurt anything

..........and Ribbs,

actually ANYTHING beats 5-years of poolrunning

mikeE was a hairy guy

(normally I would paste in a U-Tube of the Theme from ''Hair''at this point...........BUT I DON'T HAVE IT HOOKED UP YET///////////)

SIGH

................GoodRunning guys..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

..luckily I was able to save my Clown Pictures..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

mike - you have more hair than you.

it's too long for a band.

were you in a church pageant?

the problem is that my first 50 miler is at Bighorn on June 21, and registration for VT is May 25, so I'll have to decide if I want to run another 50 miler before I've done my first!

you better.

good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

50 mile, huh?  You know...nobody would think any less of you if you only did 50k...that's still a long way...and it's a 50 number to celebrate turning 50...and don't let wildchild influence you in any way...50 mile...you do know that means 50 miles, right?  And...you have read about the course...it ain't an easy one.  Why do I get the feeling you're not listening to me?

Anyway...I did 6 miles in 48:38.  I'm going to enjoy these short runs for as long as I can.

Can't believe it was 70 degrees for the high in northern MN!?! Overcast with a cool 12mph breeze for most of the day.  Didn't run yesterday, DH had yardwork and I planted my first vegetable garden!!   Admiring it took all day, .  I finally found a different entrance into the state park which had grassy/dirt trails galore that people have been telling me.  Couple of 'hills' and had to cross a stream.  No one else around but at various intersecting points, there was a map and a bench! Beautiful views but didn't stop.  Some rain sprinkles.  Finished 11.1 miles.  Got back just in time to watch the pouring rain!

Mike E

MM #5615

az2mntrail...I just figured out what this meant...I guess you have already figured out that I'm not one of the smarter ones on here...