Masters Running

Monday's 7/14/14 Daily - Something is Terribly Wrong (Read 43 times)

I tell you something is terribly wrong if I am starting the daily and I am not in Europe with a multi hour head start on coastwalker and the other early birds here.

Ran with some zombies this morning in the hope of working on my speed a bit.  The app has you run 1 minute fartleks about every mile or so.  But, the GPS seemed to be off and no matter how fast I went I ended up getting caught every time.  Now, I may be out of practice but I am pretty sure my relative speed (which is all that counts) is not that off!  Oh well, it does mean my poor avatar has to spend a few more days as a zombie cat.

A quite little ode to our SteveP, what is a zombie's favorite cheese?  Deader!    Get it, instead of cheddar it is deader . . . oh forget it. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Steve wouldn't have gotten it even with the explanation.

Our heat wave is ending today or tomorrow so the rest of the week should be nice.  We hit 100 yesterday and will do so again today.  It's already in the 90's as I write this just after 10 a.m.

The Saint and I jogged a slow 3.4 miles this morning. I was dead-legged, so glad to get something in.

We drive down to Texas A&M this afternoon so Hudson can get a look at it. We'll do U. of Texas next month.  A&M does things funny.  I'm skeptical of a school that begins its emails with "Howdy!"  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

I'm skeptical of a school that begins its emails with "Howdy!"  Spareribs

No run for me this morning, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.  Jonah Hill and Julie Andrews on The Graham Norton Show had me chuckling through my workout.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Howdy!

I was up at the usual time this morning, Twocat - I had to feed our cat, or she would have gotten very annoying. But today was also an SRD, so I got some other things done instead. Those zombies sure are curious creatures. And they sure eat strange cheese!

Too much heat, Ribs, but I'm glad you and The Saint got your workout in. Good luck at 'friendly' T A&M.

I'm glad you had a good chuckling workout, Holly.

We had friends over for dinner last night, and had a great time. John kept us laughing with stories about his new hearing aids: it came with a small microphone that his DW can wear as a necklace or pendant. Unbeknownst to her when they first got it, she could be on the other side of a store, talking to herself, and he could still hear her! He thought it was the funniest thing, and so did she. Now she says things like, "John! I'm in aisle 3 and I found something - come and find me." He's 88, and she's only a few years behind. They don't know how to act their age - they're having too good a time! We finally had to kick them out last night, only because it was past my bedtime. Gotta love 'em...

Have a greta Monday

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Sorry about you getting caught by the ZB's, 2C.
            That’s neat you get to blame your watch though.
            Maybe I’ll have to get one, after all, sometime.
            Can’t you change it to make yourself faster
            like they did with deezie’s shortened half mary?
            Unfortunately, all that zombie stuff scares me

at an age when I have enough to be scared about.
            Maybe there’s a goddess app with the goddesses
            in front and us tryin’ to catch 'em instead
            of vice versa with them behind tryin' to catch us 
            which would just be even more incentive

to run even slower in the hopes of gettin’ caught.  oh well.
            ps erika - in light of the ascending last mile-and-a-half

in your upcoming Gold Rush Fun Run this weekend,

somehow it seems that all my favorite races

over the years have had descending finishers.
            Does Equinox still finish down the steep slope it starts up

or am I just trying to make things better than they were? <<<(1994/1994)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

opie, good luck with the job prospect.  evan, nice 8K race with 1st in AG.  Jay, good job on your 20 mile weekend.  pfriese, congrats on a 50 mile week (first in two years).  tomw, that was quite the bike workout.  AD, I liked the dog pictures.  tet, nice 5K.  deez, good going in your (short) half.

Nice long runs for wild, Tramps, and Holly.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 60s and there was a little wind.  I did 8 miles at a 10:52 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Fletch

Tet - I'm in on the goddess app...let me know when it's ready!

Ribs - some people in Texas would say they're a little skeptical of any college that DOESN'T start their e-mails with "Howdy!"

Erika - nice race.  Congrats on the 1st AG!

Jlynne - good job on the 5k.  Sounds like great family fun.

Sorry if I missed anyone!

For me:

Friday - SRD

Saturday - played in a charity golf tournament.  Planned to run before.  Didn't happen.  Hoped to run after.  Didn't happen.  URD.

Sunday - hoped to get out for an early run under that beautiful moon.  Didn't happen.  Ran 5.5 miles in the H&H at 8:00am.

Today - planned to run early again.  Overslept...didn't happen (disturbing trend developing).  Gotta run again in the heat this evening.  Serves me right.

Happy running!

evanflein

Tet, a different slope, but yes. The last half mile or so is downhill. But not till you do a steep uphill in mile 26 that is just downright mean.

Ribs, Texas A&M was on the "short list" of possible grad schools for me. But I ended up not going anywhere and finished at the B.S. stage. I hear it's gotten pretty conservative in recent years.

I just couldn't do that Zombies thing.... would require paying too much attention to what the app (on phone?) is telling me to do. I just don't run like that. Maybe it would help pass the time on the treadmill?

Speaking of which, my poor treadmill is still wrapped in plastic out in the driveway. The garage project is moving at a glacial pace, made so much worse by all the rain we got in June. What a year to pick to take the roof off your garage. At least the new decking is all installed, and we can move on to stairs and inside finishing soon.

Legs feel ok after yesterday's downhill fun, which is a good thing. A little stiff but not bad at all. I want to get out for a short easy run later today. The wind gusts are just howling out there though. This is the weirdest weather for a summer here that I can remember.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Congrats, Erika!  Cool running.

Downhilling wimmins, the Leading Ladies is next month in South Dakota, and just about all downhill, full and half marathons!

Getas look neat, but do ya think we would stay balanced on 'em, Steve?  I do have a more conventional pair of wooden platform flip flops with padded straps I use mostly indoors and like 'em a lot.  I do NOT want to try hiking in getas, tet, not no-balance Amos.

Baby Red Sox are such fun; and all you moms, Brock Holt  (Brockstar!) got a homer and 5 hits and played his 7th position of the season in Houston yesterday, bringing his mom (he's from Texas) in the stands to tears. 

Can't feature Ribs uttering "freakin" in any context......

Love your friends' antics, Jay!  Thanks for your interest in DH.  I am trying to get him to do a 5K Saturday with me.  I need to cut back this weekend and I don't think I'm going to unless I do a short race.  We'll see if he will.....I do have him pondering some half marathons, and he's signed up for a 10K when we go to Thunder Bay in September.

How about Soba noodles, cooks out there?  I made an Asian soup with them, some red curry paste and a few veggies (including about 2 cups of diced sweet potatoes for color, very nice addition to contrast with the Sriracha.  I FINALLY learned that you blanch the pea pods for a mere 20 seconds or so, then keep them apart in a bowl and add to the soup only when you serve it.  Secret of keeping them crispy, doh to me!

Still think Holly could inspire a sitcom; always fun posts, even when it isn't good news, there's a certain unique Holly spin I love.

Good race, deez, especially in the face of that vertigo you have to deal with now and again.  Oh, I'm reading a book that takes place in part in Maine (and also NYC).  By Elizabeth Strout, one of my favorite authors (anything she writes, I'll read), The Burgess Boys.  I got it from the New Books section in our library; I think it's a 2013 release.   I'd recommend to any of you; I'm over half through and find the plotting is first rate and characters real and interesting.

Oh Tag, sharing is hard.  Do you know how much love you have winging your way from all points across the country?  And you don't have to share any ot it, promise.  It's all for you.

Somehow this summer feels not as hot and humid as I remember last summer.  Don't know if that's the case, or if I'm just getting acclimated.  Just over eight and a half for me this am at an 8:50 pace.  First one was over 10 minute pace, so that's a good Monday average for me.    It was so nice yesterday, I did 3 round trips on the bridge and ran 18 total, just 3 at the end at 9 minutes, rest under.   I really love that Sunday run, dawn on the bridge over the Caloosahatchee, lots of other runners and walkers out and crossing back and forth.    Will cut back this weekend, I know, I  know.

Good Monday evenings, everyone!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Unfortunately, all that zombie stuff scares me

at an age when I have enough to be scared about.
                      Maybe there’s a goddess app with the goddesses
                      in front and us tryin’ to catch 'em instead
                      of vice versa with them behind tryin' to catch us 
                      which would just be even more incentive

to run even slower in the hopes of gettin’ caught.  oh well.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

not that the goddesses wouldn't be trying their best

to catch us or anything like that.

Amy - you could always try the one-pronged variety which are specifically designed to keep the feet flat and off sharp rocks and other erratics when climbing steep-angled slopes. I guess it wouldn't surprise you to find out about someone who's not only climbed Mt. Fuji in them but also 26.2 miles.  It took almost ten hours for each undertaking which, though it sounds awfully boring, was actually ten hours of fun in both cases.  No wonder I love pretending to run almost as much as I love running, if not more.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Fletch

4 miles this evening - 96 degrees, heat index of 99.  That's what I get for sleeping through the alarm this morning.

Rest tomorrow, then I'll join the "Freaky Fast Gang" for the early morning speed workout Wednesday morning.

Happy running!

Mariposai

We too had a record high today and it seems like tomorrow and Wednesday will be worse.

I started my day today with a 14 miler up high in the mountains. A great run, but it was already hot, even at 7am when I started.

Happy week to you all and thanks for the happy birthday thread and wishes. You guys are very special.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

We too had a record high today and it seems like tomorrow and Wednesday will be worse.

I started my day today with a 14 miler up high in the mountains. A great run, but it was already hot, even at 7am when I started.

Happy week to you all and thanks for the happy birthday thread and wishes. You guys are very special.

We had a record here too, but it was a record LOW high temperature, only got to 63° today.  I must say it feels very fall-like. I am glad we are not on vacation this week. I did some weights at the Y and wanted to talk to the aquatics director about some coaching (I really do want to get better) but just missed her. Tammy, I am going to enter the lottery for the 10 Mile at the Twin Cities Marathon, are you in? How about MikeE? I booked a room downtown already, how I get in.

Gotta go pick up the house before the cleaning lady comes tomorrow.  G'nigt.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

Wow, record low high temp was 63°? That was maybe, just maybe the high we reached here. But it wasn't a record, just another crappy day. Blustery winds all morning, and I got out for my run mid-day, finishing up just before the rain started. Then it was gusty, blowing cold windy rain. Lovely! I got in 5.6 miles in a progressive pace style, aided on the fast return by not only the downhill trend but the tailwind that felt like a hand on my back pushing me along. Yowza!