Masters Running

Columbus Daily, 10.13.14 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Great job on the sermon, Mike.

Happy belated birthday, Enke! While blueberry pancakes and coffee are a nice start to the day, I hope there was more in it for you than housework.

Great weekend racing by Aamos (terrific improvement vs. last year) and her DH (HM PR!), Deeze and Marj (with DD and DIL). Where is Leslie???

It looks like there was great weekend running, racing, weather and living all around!

It's always good to see a post from The Pro.

I raced the Great Island 5K on Sunday morning in IRC  - low 50s, dry with clear skies and good sun. It's a good course, with almost constant rolling hills, but none of them big. I've discovered what is sort of another gear of late, and so was looking forward to this race. My friend and fellow-racewalker, Stephan was there, so it was just a matter of how far behind him I'd finish. He was ahead of me at the start (and at the finish), but I kept reasonable pace with him most of the way. I finished in 31:11 (10:00 pace), beating my time of 31:24 at this race 2 years ago, and giving me a new 5K PR. I spent the rest of the day celebrating my success by doing yard work, stopping only long enough to let a flock of wild turkeys peacefully meander through the yard.

4 E-Z recover miles at 4 this morning: 40F, 39F, and with about a half moon high in the sky, lighting my way. I could tell it is a holiday: of the 4 cars I saw this morning, 2 were newspaper delivery men (one of whom stopped so we could chat for a few).

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Jay.  Congratulations on the new PR!  It was a glorious day in NE, wasn't it?

We had a successful weekend moving DD into her new apartment.  We filled a 10' U-Haul with donations from our neighbor and stuff from my mom's house that we've had in storage for too many years in Wakefield and drove to Westbrook, ME to unload that and then up to the camp to pick up all the furniture that we got at Salvation Army last weekend.  Large amounts of XT.  And driving.  But it's a nice place and she's already working on the décor.  Certainly looks nicer than any apartment I lived in at that age

DW and DD had a great time shopping for all the remaining essentials while her BF did some cleaning and I went out and ran about 14 miles on the "Sebago to the Sea" trail system that runs right by her place (convenient, right?)  I saw about, because I hit STOP on the Garmin while reading one of the information boards before the start of a section of single track and then forgot to turn it back on until after I finished that portion.    I felt like I was channeling my inner Leslie and Carolyn--a LOT more single track and hills than expected.  it was actually a lot of fun--just trashed my legs a lot quicker than I had hoped for.  especially since I was hoping for 17.  Oh well, I was still out for about the length of time I expected.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

Adding to the New England posts. Did an easy 2 this morning. We're planning to cycle in a while to watch the lead pack of the women's Tufts 10K-always a fast run.

Yesterday I jogged and watched the BAA half marathon. I was able to see Marj at the 5K and 6 mile mark. Very proud of her and her DD and DIL-a 'terrific trio" didn't see Deez, but Marj did.

Congrats to Jay and all the weekend racers.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

We're planning to cycle in a while to watch the lead pack of the women's Tufts 10K-always a fast run.

Though feds are on holiday leave, banks, state offices and everything else

are open enough in Seattle that no runs or other events at all scheduled.

ps - do you still celebrate any other holidays today too?
          pps - I don’t know how they can change the name of a federal holiday but the Seattle City Council voted to ban “Columbus Day” in favor of “Indigenous People’s Day.”  Since it’s not a holiday here either way, I guess I won’t celebrate either either.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Good Morning.

I wish I could have heard your sermon MikeE. I am sure you delivered it well and it sounds like a message that many need to hear. I quit going to church about 3-4 yrs ago, but still enjoy listening to well founded messages.

Didn't run at all this weekend. I caught something while back in MN or maybe my body just wasn't used to such cold, but either way,  I've had cough, scratchy throat, sort of "cold like" symptoms for a week now, so decided to just try and take it easy this weekend. For the most part I did. Although David had homecoming on Saturday and I volunteered for cleanup crew, so was at the school from 11:00 to midnight helping with that. It wasn't all that labor intensive, but the disruption in my usual sleep pattern left me feeling pretty wiped out Sunday. So, I just watched too much football all day.

Tammy

mrrun

In addition to lead women, we saw CNY looking very strong at 4 mile.  Picture on FB.

mta picture

marj

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Afternoon....

Jay, what's IRC?  Congrats, how swift of you!  Just wow.

Get well soon, Tammy.

No day off here, tet.  In South Dakota, it's "Native American Day."

O Kevin, how many times have I done that?  Yig.  Hey, the apartment is sweet.  Hope the DD appreciates you.  If not, just let me know.  I can give her a "sermon" on the value of dads!

Looking forward to hearing more about the BAA half.  And any CHicago news.  Looks as if my running chum stuck with her daughter at last through the half, then put down the gas pedal and beat her in by about 5 minutes!  (She's in her 50s and DD is a 20-something).

Glad to hear the sermon was well received, Mike.  The winner of the Key West marathon Saturday is an engineer from Shakopee who was in Orlando for work and decided to drive down to Key West on a whim.  He ran it in 2:48 -- and it was 80 something at the 5:30 start!  Brain Sames is his name--he's 28.  The next runner was 24 minutes behind him.

6.5 Veddy Slow miles this am.  No more marathons until the local one November 9th, but several other races of all different interesting lengths (got a 10 miler and a 15K coming up, along with some halfs and a 10K before the full.)

So Monday morning is gone here and expiring all around for another week.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

C-R, congrats to Patrick and his team.  evan, belated happy birthday.  marj, nice half.  Ditto that for deez in the same race.  Aamos way go on your marathon and 5K.  Also, good job by your husband in the half.  Mike, I'm glad to hear your sermon went well.  wild, great picture of nature's colors.  steve, l like your pictures.  Jay, nice 5K with PR.

Nice long runs for ribs and The Saint, deez (including half), mari, lame, evan, and stumpy.

This morning, it was raining and I had an early morning appointment.  To speed things up, I hopped on the TM for 5 miles at an 11:19 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay, what's IRC?

If it's what I think it is, you probably don't have it down in Florida

ps - when's your next marathon?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Nice PR, Jay! Lots of people wish they could run a 5K in that time. Boo on the TM, Tom -- it's too early in the season for that, although I considered it myself this morning :-).

IRC == Ideal Running Conditions, which it certainly was not this morning. It warmed up from recent days, but at the cost of gray skies and a consistent foggy, misty drizzle. Still, the Paint Creek Trail wasn't too bad except for having to dodge a few mud puddles and the three of us had a pretty good 6-mile run.

Hope your week is off to a good start!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

New skirt in town

I ran the Tufts 10K today, too, and I saw Esther!!!  Right as I was waiting on the ports-potties, wouldn't you know it!

Fun, fun race!  I ran sooper slo, because my hamstring is feeling a bit tweaked after my 9-miler on Saturday.  I'm in full-fledged taper mode for Baystate next weekend, so I'm trying to be verrrry restrained.  I made a bad mistake of positioning myself in the 10 minute mile corral.  Because I wanted to go SLOW!  But people were SO much slower, it made for tough going, dodging runners with strollers, runners who inexplicably stopped in the middle of the road, runners who nearly took me out by dashing quickly in front of me to make a beeline for the water station or to wave hello to someone, runners who talked on their cell phones and then went head over heels on top of the orange barrels that they did not see.  It was a serious fiasco of runners who had no concept of race etiquette.  Good on them for getting out there and giving this race a try, though. Methinks I'll seed myself differently the next time I run this one!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Happy Monday all!!  So hard not going in to the Tufts 10k today especially with OM(Esther) running it for the first time!!  My running group had a nice bunch going in as one of our founding members has run every year since the start and I knew Karin would be there  - turns out Robin was there as well and OM bumped into her and Karin.  Missed seeing you yesterday Henry, but did see Marj on the course and then met her with her dd and dil after I finished my extra 5.

Oh well, my dh and youngest son Christopher were both home today, Justin stopped by for awhile and Nicholas will be here later to help me with my Garmin so I know it was the right decision to have an at home day.   I also did the food shopping which dh usually does so he was glad I stayed around!!

Slipped out for 4.8 easy recovery miles.  Now have some minestrone soup on the stove for my palate and baking some chicken and potatoes for the guys!!  Stay home days are good!!

denise

New skirt in town

Oh, wait, I did forget to say that it was great fun to give Joan Benoit Samuelson a high five at the finish line!!

--RT

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I think it's cool how so many of you in the Boston area get to see each other so often.

I went for 6.3 in 51:36, tonight.  The pain behind my left knee is still there but I think if I keep taking it easy and rolling it out every night, it will be okay.

Okay--it's bedtime.  See ya.

Mariposai

Oh, wait, I did forget to say that it was great fun to give Joan Benoit Samuelson a high five at the finish line!!

--RT

Cool, very, very cool.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard