Masters Running

I wish I was a better runner (Read 62 times)

an amazing likeness

“I wish I was a better runner…”

This phrase keeps running through my thoughts. It is a constant background inner voice as I think about my races, workouts and goals. Being an analytical and logic-oriented sort, I found myself pondering my log here on RA, looking for changes to make in order to get "better".  All the usual tuning advice passed through my thoughts…

Run more

Run less

More quality workouts

Run longer

Run trails

Run track

Run with people

Race more

Race less

Then, in a moment of clarity, I realized I could not say with any firmness a desired outcome – I could not state what it meant to be a better runner.

Seemingly, in the running context ,“better” means faster (speed) or longer (distance); runner talk is focused on getting faster or going longer.  Are those my only options?

So what does “better runner” mean to you? If you met me today, and we reconnect a year down the road and chatted running, how would I tell you I’m a better runner today than I was then?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Henrun

I'll probably give you an answer that none else on this site will. To me, being a better runner means you enjoy running and look forward to your runs and races regardless of your speed. Of course, I'm speaking as an 80 year old. I used to be fast; but the last few years my speed has diminished regardless of my mileage and training. Of course, those nasty injuries and age related problems (arthritis, etc.) have contributed. Yet, running remains a passion and if you can tell me a year from now that you're having fun running then you're a "better" runner.

Slo

Better for me simply means Faster. (at any distance I choose)

And at 49 with my prime behind me I still believe today that I have not seen my potential.

Given my last two years of "training"...getting better from where I am today will be a peice of cake.

Slo

I'll probably give you an answer that none else on this site will. To me, being a better runner means you enjoy running and look forward to your runs and races regardless of your speed. Of course, I'm speaking as an 80 year old. I used to be fast; but the last few years my speed has diminished regardless of my mileage and training. Of course, those nasty injuries and age related problems (arthritis, etc.) have contributed. Yet, running remains a passion and if you can tell me a year from now that you're having fun running then you're a "better" runner.

Where's the "like" button?

evanflein

I think everyone thinks in terms of "faster," or "longer/farther," but there's also so much more than that. Running is a many faceted thing, and your definition of "better" most likely is related to why you run in the first place. I really like Henry's comment on it. For me, I think being a "better" runner means I am running because I want to, not because I feel compelled to do it. I want to enjoy the run for the run itself, and not as a means to an end (to get faster, to lose weight, to train for a race, etc). I'll be a better runner when I'm free of the shackles of what I or anyone else thinks my running should be, and just enjoy being out there. I'm working on it, but not there yet.

coastwalker

Great question, Mike.

I agree that most people think of "better" in terms of faster/longer. That certainly applies when we compare ourselves to others: And, at any age, there will likely be someone else who is faster or can go further (or both). If you choose to define "better" only in relation to yourself, then Henry's answer is great. Then running becomes a reflection of your true self. It shows your dedication, determination, awareness of body, spirit, competitive nature (or not), and compassion.

Why do we make this statement, "I wish I were a better runner?" Is it because we love what we do, but want to do it better? Or because we're an unhappy runner, and think that being a more successful competitor would help us enjoy it more? What do we do if we are running at our maximum capability and are still unsatisfied? Ultimately, we each have to set our own goals, using whatever parameters work for us, and stay focused on those goals. For some, it will be about speed. For others, it may be about shedding those shackles that Evanflein referenced. For some, it may be about using running as an excuse to travel, and just enjoy the races/people/venues without concern for pace and time.

I wonder if the statement should be "I wish I enjoyed running more?" I think that allows you to open the door to terms other than speed or competition, and perhaps let thoughts like Henry's percolate. Racing is the most visible aspect of running, and provides the means to compare ourselves to other racers, as well as to our own times in previous races. And it can be very satisfying to work to improve how well you compete. But I think we all know that running is about so much more than racing. If not, why do we all spend so much time, and share so much of our lives, here on RA?

I'm looking forward to that meeting a year down the road...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

POD

Before I read this reply, I was in the better = faster camp but Henry made me do a little reflecting. And there is a bit more than that for me.

I've always run but mostly with soccer and some goofing around races. I didn't really start running consistently until I connected with LLS and met some great people fighting some serious battles. Running was a good place to talk and share. Very similar to playing golf (which I adore) but with a little more sweat effort. When my family got hit with cancer I used it as a place of relief and once again to talk and connect.  Yeah, I try to run fast as I can which is slower than lots and faster than some and try to do some things that are personal goals. But what it really means for me to be better is to keep running and making those connections that help me stay motivated to run/race and enjoy the journey.

Thanks for an interesting question.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BlazinCajun

When I think of what "a better runner" means to me I usually visualize myself running while asking the same question. I see myself effortlessly running with good form while enjoying the ultimate entertainment. I think that I really need to re-focus my whole attitude towards running. There are days that I really want to run and then there is lazy. Hard to run lazy - those days I just run knowing that I have committed myself to putting in the miles. These lazy runs just seem to get in the way of other things that "I" want to do. These runs become more of a bother to me and I seem to run for no reason other than keeping up the image that people think of me as a runner. These are the runs when I justify reasons not to run. I really need to appreciate that I can run and to consistently find joy with each run. There are so many reasons to run and so many blessings from being able to run.  Guess I need to be grateful. It is just amazing that there are folks here that I have never met and have so many things in common with. While I do not know any of you personally yet, I feel that I know you fairly well and even better than some of my acquaintances in my non-digital world. I believe that there are no fake people here in this forum. I find you (i.e., members, administrators, and Eric) to be sincere, honest, and good. Ultimately, just being a better person will spill over into the other things that I do in my life. So, as I strive to become a better person I become a better runner. So the real question for me is: How can I become a better person to others?

Thanks  milktruck - I needed that today

Andrew
                  ------------------
                  God, my Lord, is my strength;
                  he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                  and enables me to go upon the heights.
                  Hb 3:19

#artbydmcbride

When I think "I wish I was a better runner"  upon reflection what I want is to:

run feeling strong and easy.   No struggling and wheezing.

run faster, kick up to another gear and catch up with another runner, even if just for a moment.

run for hours and not feel exhausted, just pleasantly tired.

Runners run

evanflein

All good stuff here. I loved this from Andrew:

"There are days that I really want to run and then there is lazy. Hard to run lazy - those days I just run knowing that I have committed myself to putting in the miles. These lazy runs just seem to get in the way of other things that "I" want to do. These runs become more of a bother to me and I seem to run for no reason other than keeping up the image that people think of me as a runner. These are the runs when I justify reasons not to run. I really need to appreciate that I can run and to consistently find joy with each run."

Yes, there are days when I use the term (if only in my head) "I have to run today" when it should be "I get to run today!" You summed up that sentiment very well, thank you.

Like Henry, I'm a lot older than a lot of the folks posting on RA. And I've been through a lot too. Back surgery, torn hamstring, PF issues and a lot of other assorted aches and pains that have taken their toll over the year. And Henry is a very wise man. We all have much to learn from him.

To me, being a "better runner" at age 62 is being able to enjoy the gift of running itself. My days of AG awards and speed are over. Being a better runner to me is simply accepting these things and just running because I love it and enjoy it. It doesn't matter if I get faster, run longer or win any awards. I'm a better runner because I KNOW this and can now accept it without feeling like I don't belong entering races or apologizing when I run with others that I'm not as fast as they are.

And that's what being a better runner is all about, Charlie Brown

I am going with henrun on this.  Running is a hobby for those of us here at RA.  A hobby should be fun.  Period.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Prince of Fatness

After dealing with one injury after another for the last 5 (wow) years I'd be happy just to be a regular runner.  If and when I get to that point, what henrun said.

Not at it at all. 

janie b good

I have somewhat of a competitive spirit and I always want to be a faster, stronger runner yet I'm really not invested enough in myself to be willing to do the really hard work.  so for me, "better" is just getting out there more-- breathing, relaxing, meditating, losing myself in the run.  y'know ... ZENing out!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

mrrun

Like Henry, I'm a lot older than a lot of the folks posting on RA. 

Jlynne - to some of us you are a young kid!  (says the 69 year old)