Masters Running

Saturday surprise (Read 35 times)

mrrun

Happy Birthday LaT!

Good luck to racers this w/e and happy runs/walks to all

marj

Happy Birthday La T!!!!

Good Morning Marj!  Good Luck to all the racers this weekend. I hope you rock those Berkshire hills Aamos and have a great time. A few of my teammates did the 15k trail race this morning that's a part of the weekend of races there.

Tammy, I am further behind in posting and commenting than you are and just try and do my best. Keep posting for sure! Go David too!

Robin! Wow, what a surprise and revelation for you and Karin. Since Mr. CNYrunner has gotten so deep into genealogical research, we've found lots of interesting surprises on the twigs and branches of both of our family trees. The news has been in turns shocking, exciting, fascinating, tragic, and happy too. All of it family and ours to absorb and embrace if we can.

Easy taper trot this morning for me with the kiddo. I love running with him and we chattered away during the whole four miles. He'll head back to school in just two weeks, so I am greedily grabbing minutes with him whenever possible.

Thank you to all who served and especially made the ultimate sacrifice. I am grateful for the volunteer service of my veteran colleagues (Korean War, Vietnam, and Persian Gulf) and that they returned. Thank you to all the runningahead service members---you are amazing. During one of my business trips earlier this month, I witnessed the transfer of a service woman's flag-draped casket to a hearse and then on to Virginia for burial (a USO volunteer announced this in the gate area). This young Marine was greeted by her grieving family and carried by honor guard off of a domestic flight. All of us in the gate area watched from the windows and all of us in tears. I may be a pacifist and anti-war, but my deep admiration for her service and that of family and countless others is heartfelt.

King of PhotoShop

Love seeing LaT here once in a while and wish it were more often. Happy birthday to you.

The rain continues here and despite that, we have had a pretty lucky week as far as running is concerned, finding a spot to run in between the heavy showers every day. Today was an easy 4 in the park, and another 35 mile week for me.

I think we'll go into the City of Dallas tonight for an art show. We're debating whether to go or not, as the storms may come again and then we're walking around in the rain.  Will be a last minute decision.  Spareribs

Mike E interesting story about the house.

evanflein funny, for once it is warmer where you are than where I am!  Given I have a marathon tomorrow I am not at all unhappy about that either. 

CNYrunner since it looks unlikely we will see each other before or during the race, I just want to wish you and your team the best of luck.

I am in Burlington Vt with my DW and her sisters for the Vermont City Marathon.  The weather forecast for the 8am start has been iffy.  But it has started to wobble in the good direction.  If it stays put, it should be partly sunny with temperatures in the mid 50's and at the start and high 60s to low 70s by the time I finish.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes! I started out the day with a 3 mile run and a chocolate croissant - the yin and yang of life.

I also wish I had more time to spend here, but love that whenever I shown up folks are so good at communicating that I quickly catch up.

Nice to read through Intrepid racers to see Marj and Henry running some 10Ks; to read that Nancy has a new job (lucky them) and Robin has a new brother (I am jealous - been waiting for a long lost sib to show up for as long as I can remember); CNY and TwoCat will be running Vermont City tomorrow - eat some Lake Champlain chocolate as fuel, and Ribs ... if you think that I forgot my threat to knit you and Spare Rib a race "trophy" ... well you would be mistaken.

Happy Trails!!!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mariposai

Happy birthday to La Tortuga.  If I had the opportunity to be adopted by your damily, I would love to be your sister.

Good luck to Twocat and Karin tomorrow.

I am having such a good time with my son Daniel who is visiting us for the weekend.

I did go out for my first long run post Boston and trail ultra. 15 miles with 6 with the not Easy Pacer. I think I should call him the Steady Pacer.

Off to play in the garden. Arugula,  kale and swischards are coming strong.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

DrRobin, what a shock to find a half brother that you never knew about.  It would be neat if you and your sister hit it off well with him and that you can have a great relationship.  Nice long runs for Mike and evan.

This morning, I did a 5K.  I didn't get my GPS turned off at the finish so tried to put things together with my posted time and what I did have.  I'm calling it a time of 32:19, distance of 3.13 miles, and pace of 10:19.  I was 23/35 OA and 2/2 in my AG (70-79).  The other guy in my AG beat me by 6 minutes.  What a speedy old geezer!  There was also a 10K run and 5K walk.  I saw a number of friends and enjoyed the morning.  I did a mile warmup and 1.9 miles after to give me 6 miles for the day.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good luck to all the other racers tomorrow.  (and good racing for a few folks today, too!)

Just finished up my carbo-loading with tortellini and a nice Shipyard.  I'm afraid that it's going to be a little warm tomorrow--supposed to be mid 70's and I don't start until 10am.  Oh well, it's a 25K PR one way or another.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

an amazing likeness

Good luck and fleet feet to Twocat and CNYrunner at VTCM tomorrow -- there's a ton of RA runners there this weekend.  Great course, great little town.

Here's a RA link to a goofy course description I wrote a few years ago.

MTA for stumpy77 -- I think you'll be ok, it was plenty chilly last night (38F) and will make it to the mid-40s tonight. I ran 13mi in the Pineland area today and it was chilly in the shade. The sections through the fields will be warm in the sun, but in the trees and hollows, shouldn't be too warm.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Sayhey! MM#130

Happy birthday LaT.  just touch base whenever, always a treat.

thinking of you Stumps (watching the game here in Western MA), good luck tomorrow!

and you two speedsters up in Vermont, enjoy the race..... I loved that one (Ben & Jerry's as sponsors means ice cream more than once!) ..... Hope the drummers are there for the hill!

nice running, Tom.  And Erika, you're just so zippy all the time.....you're going to fly through your race series and upcoming marathons

Mari, congrats on the first week.  It's easier from here.

so the guy who measured and certified the course I'm running tomorrow just, with 2 other people, broke the record of driving to all 50 states ....they did it in under 97 hous, which was the record.  You can read about it on FB at "Are We There yet?"  His name is

John Frey.  (One of the best things I ever did was hire a young lawyer who some years later met and married him☺️).

Nothing for me today.....tapering!

grins,

a

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I had a lot to talk about...but I'm too dang tired.

I went 10.6 miles, tonight, in 1:21:54.  Right before I stepped out the door, it started to rain...and I thought about Twocat...other than that, I enjoyed running in the rain.

Good luck to all the racers!  Wow, we really have a bunch running tomorrow.  And wild did some crazy stuff, today, I hear.  Oh--and David did it again...

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy birthday run and croissant LaT.

Posie - Nothing steady about someone who improves his 12K time by 16 minutes and runs up Doomsday Hill in 3:54 vs. a prior year’s 5:41.   However, maybe keep “Easy Pacer” as his spectacularly improved running still makes it look easy, . . . and it will be a reminder of when it wasn’t as fast as now. However, with your 12:50  improvement over the same 12K too (Bloomsday), he’s still going to have to work hard to keep ahead of you. .

ps amy - good job.
                          pps twocat/CNY - speedy, and dry running.

ppps MikeE - after running around with GS including trout farm and BBQ,

I'm too tired to too too post anymore but nothing stops a good GS story

for you and others with grandkid fixations..

I haven’t done it since 1968 when I locked the car keys in the truck of the car at Niagara Falls but it happened again today at Snoqualmie Falls out here in the PNW but this time at the end of a long day with 5-yo Grandson in tow. Maybe I should stop going to waterfalls.
                          In 1968, I had to kind of force out the rental sedan’s back seat to get access to the trunk but, after some calls to the agency and AAA, when I tried it this time, it turned out the back seat folds down ala station wagon style.  Whew. .
                          What an angel he was though patiently waiting out the unexpectedly favorable solution but I’d already given him some practice the other ay across the street from the Seattle Aquarium when I thought DD was going to pick us up at 6:00 pm. instead of 6:30 pm.  It oesn't hurt my affection for him any that he called me "kind-of-old" today instead of the regular "old.'  Funny, I don't feel old at all around him.  . 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Nice racing tom!

David and I had a good trail race this morning. We both ran the 5 mile (which was 4.7) and it's a challenging course. First 1.5 is pretty steep and you can walk parts just as quickly as trying to run. but then it levels out for about 1.5 miles, then a nice gradual downhill for the rest.  David ran a 32:19 which was good for 2nd OA and 1st AG (but only one in his AG). I ran a 51:59, for 8/21 females, 25/44 OA and 1/3 AG. Plus we both won a door prize, so that was a nice bonus. 

here's a pic of him receiving his medal

Tammy