Masters Running

Eugene, My First Full Marathon (Read 427 times)

Just the facts: Chip time: 4:53:03 554/776 females 75/107 F40-44 As some of you know, I put a lot of training into this marathon. I felt pretty strong about a month ago, and I had 5 weeks in this training cycle over 50 miles (not consecutive!), so a decent enough base (plus five 20 milers!). I had a great HM (2:07:49) that felt relaxed and easy. A week after that, I had a 20 mile training run at 10:40 pace. Even though I stop my watch during the few pee/drink/stretch breaks I take during training runs, these are hilly routes I run and so I thought I should be able to run a flat marathon like Eugene at McMillan’s predicted pace of 10:10, which is a sub 4:30 marathon. Doesn’t that sound reasonable? Unfortunately I picked up 2 colds during my last high mileage weeks, and the second cold took a long time to go away. Longer than the rest of my family members (which is not usually the case), so I think the amount of running I was doing was starting to suppress my immune system. Then just as I got rid of the second cold, BAM, I woke up on Thursday, 10 days out from the marathon with a fever, sore throat, migraine and horrible yucky feeling that was brutal for 5 days and put me mostly in bed the whole time. I was unable to run again until the Wednesday before the marathon. That day I did a 3 mile run, all I could manage, and I felt, well, just sick basically. Thursday my head was still congested and my ears ringing. On Friday I ran again, 4 miles and that felt much better but the effort was still high. Saturday I drove down to Eugene and I felt good, but still, the buzzing in the ears was still there as if I still had some congestion. It made me very sensitive to noise. As I mentioned before, it was the worst virus I have had in about 10 years. Today, a day after the marathon, the ringing is gone! So with that bug out of my system, I decided to go ahead with my marathon plans. I knew I would have to dial back my goals significantly and just see how I felt. I originally was going to run the first 6 miles at 10:20 pace, but I decided 10:30 would be a safer starting point, and then just see how I felt and go up (ha!) or down. The course is basically 3 out and back loops, starting from near historic Hayward Field at the U. of Oregon, going west through a residential area, crossing the river and running towards Autzen stadium, then out into Springfield on some flat boring roads, then back towards Autzen and out for the final loop along the Willamette river. Other than two hills in the first loop, it is nice and flat. Starting temperature was about 45F, finishing about 60F. Here is a picuture of Hayward Field. The first 14 miles were fine. I didn’t feel sproinky or fantastic, but I felt just fine. I was thinking that 10:40 was a safer pace and I was trying to hit that, and if I went under it, as long as I felt ok I didn’t worry about the pace. I just made sure I never went under 10:10, and on the opposite end, I vowed to myself not to let any mile go over 11:00. Mile Splits: 1 – 10:39 (hill) 2 – 10:15 3 – 10:22 4 – 10:26 5 – 10:29 6 – 10:45 7 – 10:31 8 – 10:54 (hill) 9 – 10:28 10 – 10:33 11 – 10:44 12 – 10:54 13 – 10:43 14 – 10:45 I was thinking of Amy in mile 14, and all children who may be suffering, and in mile 15 I was thinking about Aija at KR, how strong she is and maybe I could steal her energy?, but it didn’t really work! I started to fade. The weather so far had been perfect for running, cloudy with a light breeze until about mile 9? Then the breeze was stronger near the river and there were now NO clouds to be seen. I have a real problem with direct sun. I don’t know if it is psychological or physical, but it makes me nervous to be out in it for a long time. I put on my hat and sunglasses and ran on whichever side of the path that had the most shade. I really wanted to start walking. I saw my pace slipping and there wasn’t much I could do about it. 15 – 10:58 16 – 10:49 17 – 11:00 (started to take regular walk breaks) 18 – 11:22 19 – 11:15 20 – 11:56 So much for keeping it under 11:00!! I thought I was hydrating adequately, but I probably wasn’t. In a stroke of genius (not!), I didn’t hydrate much prior to the race so that I wouldn’t have to go pee more than twice. As it turns out, I didn’t have to pee at all! But since I was hurting so much, I gave myself the “reward” of taking a pee break if I could make it to mile 20. The reward would be just sitting down for one minute. I peed about 3 whole ounces and knew that wasn’t enough. So I tried a little harder to drink more water and Gleukos at each station. I had been taking a strawberry banana Gu every 5 miles like clockwork, but when I got back to the hotel, there were only 3 missing from my pouch. I thought I took one at mile 20, but I guess I forgot. Marathons do that to you, mess with your brain. I dedicated my last 6 miles to the volunteers and spectators on the course. They were fantastic throughout. This is the first race I’ve ever done with that many people shouting encouragement. I know it is nothing like NYC or Boston, but this was a new experience for me. 21 – 12:31 (took my only pee break here) 22 – 12:05 I saw a clif shot station ahead and thought I would try their gels just to break up the monotony. BIG MISTAKE. I took one called something like mocha raspberry? What the hell?? As soon as it went into my mouth, it wanted to come out. The urge to hurl was so strong and I had to get rid of that awful tasting goo immediately. I walked over to the side and spat out gooey brown stuff onto the grass and felt very sorry for the person behind me that had to witness that. Then I grabbed a cup of water and tried to get rid of the taste but nausea had a grip on me now and it was difficult to even swallow water. I took a longish walk break here waiting for the nausea to subside. When I started up running again, BAM, calf cramps! Both legs, they were so sore and tight! Ugh!! They weren’t so debilitating that I couldn’t run, but man o’ man it didn’t feel good. I now felt I had no choice but to take regular walk breaks to give the calves a break. I was breaking about two times per mile to walk, I don’t know for how long, usually until the shade ran out. I was thinking horrible thoughts, all of them containing a pleasant f***ing adjective. I never even cursed that much during childbirth. One that I remember clearly was “these people (marathon runners) are all f***ing insane!” “I am never running another f***ing marathon again”, well you get the idea. I just wanted to be done, very badly. I didn’t care how much walking I was going to have to do, even the whole last 6 miles, whatever, I just wanted to finish. I was also giving myself mental high-5’s for just doing it, but that didn’t make it feel any better. With all the walking I was doing I assumed that sub 5 hrs was out the window. But, then with about 3.2 miles left, two cool things happened. I looked at my watch and saw that it was only 4:13 or something and figured, heck, even with this walking I should be able to get in under 5, easily. And that gave me a small boost. And some kind-hearted spectator said as I passed by “you’re looking good, I can tell you have a lot left in you”. Well, that was just so incredibly nice, even if it was a lie. 23 - 12:27 24 – 12:12 Only 2.5 miles left!! I knew I would finish now, but I still felt terrible. It felt like a battle, not a race, everyone around me was taking frequent walk breaks. This race supplied personalized bibs, so I had “ENKIE” printed on my bib. Spectators would shout out the runner’s names ahead of me, then there would be silence when I passed, except for twice when I was called “Erika” and once “Erin”. Next time, something easily understood, like maybe my real name? So with only 2.5 miles left, time to “throw down the hammer” (it was more like a toothpick). 25 – 11:33 26 – 11:45 0.46 – 5:05 (11:08 pace, actually, since I forgot to turn the Garmin off for awhile, this is inaccurate) A spectator said there was only 400 meters left. I wasn’t sure if I could believe him and I was afraid, really afraid to look up and not see the finish line. I thought the finish would be inside Autzen stadium and we were running towards the parking lot. But I finally got the courage to look and I saw it. I smiled for the cameras, forgot to turn off my Garmin and started sobbing uncontrollably. It was more a feeling of release, or relief, after a long torturous ordeal than a feeling of accomplishment. Well it was both, but it was hard to separate out the “joy of the accomplishment” that included all of the previous 4 months of training that brought me to this point, from just plain “relief” that the struggle was finally over. It took me awhile to stop sobbing and I was thankful for the sunglasses. There was no food left that I could see. There was no shade. I had to get back to the hotel and wasn’t sure which path would take me over the river and back, so I waited a long time for the shuttle to the starting area. While waiting for the shuttle (in direct sun), I didn’t feel well. I was worried I would get on the bus and puke. My HR was very high, like 140 or higher, but more disturbing, my pulse felt weak. Once I sat inside on the bus, I felt better. I got back to the hotel and tried to pee but I couldn’t. I started freaking out a little, trying to drink as much water as possible, then thinking, no I’ve got to drink Gatorade, because I lost so much salt (my face had a nice salt ring, it reminded me of a glazed donut). I was peeing tons after about an hour, but it took me 5 hours to get rid of the unwell/nausea feeling. I went to Econo’s for dinner (thanks Econo!) and Mustang Sally (awesome BQ run for her first marathon!), Sans Souci (she’s a sweetie), Hally (geochaching expert) and Opie (funnier in person than in imaginary land) were there. It was very enjoyable and relaxing. So, it is what it is. To be honest, I’m not sure how much better I would have fared even if I hadn’t been sick the week before this marathon. There is only one way to figure that out and I am not willing to even entertain that thought right now! Not that I didn’t already, but I now have a HUGE RESPECT for all you seasoned marathoners. Yes, and you are all beautifully insane. One picture from the pre-race dinner: Opie, Tammy & Breger.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

nowor

Enkie, What a gutsy race. You have fortitude and triumphed over a clobbering virus, strong sun, icky blocs...Most would've folded much earlier or just opted for the socializing...What a hero! You are now a marathoner and someday may do another one...but right now rest up and be proud!

Maniac 505

Enke: Congrats on your gutting it out to the finish. You now have a marathon PR!! So sorry the day didn't go as it should have, this is supposed to be fun. You put in the training, You put in the miles, You had a good strategy. but you got that darn bug. You can blame it all on that. that is one of the things that makes the marathon so intriguing to some, and so evil to others. It takes a huge commitment to run a good race. Months of prep, and focused dedication, then so many things can conspire against us on the big day. I know another "thon" is the last thing on your mind right now, but you might consider a short recovery, then gear up for the sea fair race in June. Arf is running the full, I expect to run the 1/2 congrats again on the tough race Dave
          Oh wow, enke....I feel even worse about your finish line situation. It shouldn't happen that way and I'm really sorry. Sad Well, on the other hand....your description of swearing during the last miles is (may I say?) hilarious -- OUR enke? Dropping f-bombs? I'm telling your kids! Big grin (OK, someday, but not right now.)
          huskydon

Enkie, It was tough to just read about your experience. Getting colds and a virus before the race has got to affect your performance, I think. You showed great tenacity to finish and that kind of fortitude will come in handy next time the going gets tough. Rest up, and congratulations, marathoner!! It will be better next time, if you choose to do it again. huskydon
            Mariposai

Just the facts: Chip time: 4:53:03 554/776 females 75/107 F40-44 A spectator said there was only 400 meters left. I wasn’t sure if I could believe him and I was afraid, really afraid to look up and not see the finish line. I thought the finish would be inside Autzen stadium and we were running towards the parking lot. But I finally got the courage to look and I saw it. I smiled for the cameras, forgot to turn off my Garmin and started sobbing uncontrollably. It was more a feeling of release, or relief, after a long torturous ordeal than a feeling of accomplishment. Well it was both, but it was hard to separate out the “joy of the accomplishment” that included all of the previous 4 months of training that brought me to this point, from just plain “relief” that the struggle was finally over. It took me awhile to stop sobbing and I was thankful for the sunglasses.
              I was waiting all day for this report my dearest one. I even went for a walk after dinner because I had to put my energy into something else than checking the computer to see if you have posted your report. Wink I too, cried with joy as I was reading your adventure...I knew you would have a great victory lap...and I am so glad to see that you covered those long 26.2 miles with power and strength as I knew you would. Congratulations marathoner. Smile Well done...now please rest...you have worked so hard for this. Smile Oh! and don't be surprised if your mind start wondering toward other marathon possibilities in the future Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Enke, It takes a very determined and tough person to finish a marathon against so many adversities! Be very proud of your victory where so many others would have easily quit! I second Dave about Seafair! I'm sure there is still a lot of good training left in you ....to be put to good use.. I'll be there too... Savor now each and every muscle pain as proof of your huge accomplishement!!! Again, Brava! Bravissima!!! Francesca
                arf

MM #405

SadPoor Enke...you first is not supposed to feel like that Sad Just want to say congrats on getting it done and I am so proud of you. In time, the memory of the pain will diminish and you'll want to do it all over again, (just like childbirth Wink) hey..you're right, we really ARE f***ing insane Shocked If you can get away to run the half or full at Seafair, ...I would love to see you, arf

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

To be honest, I’m not sure how much better I would have fared even if I hadn’t been sick the week before this marathon.
                    oh dear extraordinary enki, erika, erin, karen goddess, You don't know it now but you were more than adequately prepared for an uneventful sub-4hr/30 min marathon, . . . except for 2 colds, worst virus in 10 years, fever and sore throat, migraine headache and congestion, ears ringing, nausea making it difficult to swallow, brutal, horrible yucky feeling putting you in bed for five days, to say nothing of woefully inadequate nutrition/hyration (that can trigger violent calf cramps without at least the minimun recommendated minimum of 20oz liquid/hour + 40 gr carbos/hour) and not knowing that your system would puke at some of the exotic gel flavors but still prevailing to finish in the top 70% of your age and sex groups in your first marathon. I don't think you know it now either but, somehow, I think you'll remember, appreciate, and learn a lot more from this marathon being the eventful kind.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

You do know those viral infections leave you wiped out for 2-3 weeks afterwards right? And you finished a sub-5 marathon in that time! Dropping F-Bombs along the way. Heheh, love it, that's my girl! congratulations on a very hard-won accomplishment. You'll just go up from here. Your training was very very impressive and well done. You can't control those viruses that laid waste to so many this winter/spring. Rest well, and set your sights on something not too far away to take advantage of all your training! You might find you recover from this one pretty well as your recovering body made you do it at a conservative pace... like a supported long run?

The Jogger

Enkie, it's a shame about you getting that bug, I had a look at your training and was well impressed at your mileage. At least it's over and your next one will be a PB Well done Roy
                          Congratulations, marathoner enke! The yuck you had leading up to the marathon surely contributed to it getting especially tough in the latter part. You sure toughed it out though and were even able to pick up the pace the last couple of miles. It was appropriate to feel emotional at the finish both for the sense of accomplishment and relief of being finished. You did well, enke. TomS
                            Congratulations on gutting out this marathon! You are tough and driven. This will stay with you for the rest of your life. There will be times when you think, 'I will not quit' when approaching some other life situation-and it will be because you are a marathoner... many, many people bonk on their first 'thon. I did. And it wasn't too soon after that I felt that I needed to race it the way I wanted to...you just might not be done with this distance. Now rest/recover and bask in your accomplishment!
                              CONGRATS ON YOUR FIRST! I know it was F-ing hard and you had a f-ing virus and the f-ing sun was out but you ran a f-ing marathon. Big grin Now be happy you did a great job Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Oh Enke! I read this while holding my breath because I was so worried. First of all, congratulations----you went the distance and ran a marathon. Secondly, you battled back and even cursed at the monkeys on your back. You are one tough woman to keep at it when you might have thrown in the towel at a variety of points along the way. The dehydration factor is a scary one and wreaks havoc with your whole system---mix in a virus and less than ideal weather at points and it all turns into a battle. I hope there is a next time for you----not for a time goal or to exact revenge (although that can be a motivator) but more for a race that you can enjoy while fully healthy. Your report here is wonderful and full of the humor and just awesomeness that is you. Karin