Masters Running

Santa Claus Half Marathon (Read 237 times)

evanflein

This race is held in North Pole, a small town about 14 miles SE of here. They really capitalize on their name and just about go overboard on the Christmas theme business. The street lights downtown are like candy canes... I'm not kidding. So, just about anything connected to North Pole has to have Santa something in the name. Sponsor is Flint Hills, owners of the refinery there which is where the start/finish is. (And you'd think with a refinery so close... pulling their raw product right off the trans-Alaska pipeline, we'd get a break on fuel costs... heck no! We still pay about 65 cents per gallon more than "the lower 48" average.) We've had so much rain this summer that part of the original course was underwater. So the re-routed course was three loops of about 5k on paved roads, then an out-and-back going out a very nice bikepath and back along the side of a busy road... met a couple of tanker trucks from the above mentioned refinery in the last mile and that was unpleasant. Totally flat, and a light wind that was really not much of an issue. Temp was 45F at the start, so I'm glad I wore (fashion report alert) my black capris, long sleeved white Asics tech-tee, Nordstrom running socks and Asics Gel Nimbus 9's with about 300 miles on them. Looked all over for my Ragnar cap, but since it wasn't raining I went without. I did an easy warm up of about 3/4 mile, then went to find a bush. Porta potty lines are way too much of a bother. Sucked down a "Chocolate Outrage" Gu, a slurp of water and off to find the start. Start time was 9 a.m., and Santa himself blew the whistle to start us off. I ran for awhile with my friend Terry who has been having a terrific year and trying all these races he's never done before (did the Gold Discovery Run, too, usually just a 5 or 10k guy). We agreed we were moving out a bit too fast at almost 5k pace to start, so I slowed down a bit... and he kept going? Oh well. Fell in with a guy I always seem to run with (passed him at the 7k mark at last week's 8k race), and I asked him what his goal time was. "1:45 would be good, 1:40 would be awesome." I had to say "Wow, that's my goal, too!" so we ended up running most of the race together. Didn't talk much, which is fine. He knows who I am but I never did ask him his name... I realize that now. We were running 7:30's to 7:45's a few too many miles, so I started to just back off a bit. He matched me pace for pace. Ok, I see how this is going to work. Walked thru a water stop at just past mile 5, took a Vanilla Bean Gu with second water stop just after mile 8. Ran past all the other water stops. It was after that last stop I decided to leave my running partner as I'd noticed he'd slowed a lot and mentioned he was startin' to hurt. Well, I felt pretty good at that point. I'd felt pretty crummy when I first got up and got to the race, but felt better after the first loop. Had some shin soreness too, but that faded away. My foot, which has been bothering me off and on for months, was ok but got more sore in the last few miles. It was so nice to hear "If that's your third lap then you cross up ahead and go down the bike path!" from the volunteers. Yeah! Almost done. I did get passed by another guy I know from all these races, Pat. I was really surprised to see him... I usually chase him! He never got more than 100 meters in front of me, and by the time we sprinted for the finish I almost ran him down in the chute! We shared a hug at the end and he thanked me for the excellent pacing. Smile Lots of high fives with my friends when they heard my time, 1:41:20.3 for first in AG, 11th out of 109 women, not sure where I placed overall. This gives me a PR of almost 4 minutes over last year's time. Roger, aka "Wilson" (formerly Nordic Beserker on CR) had said he'd like a 1:20 to 1:25, and he ran 1:19 for 4th overall, 1st in his AG. The kid I was running with earlier ran 1:44 something, so he made his first goal. My mile splits, for the data hungry: 7:30, 7:38, 7:45, 7:46, 7:51, 7:58 (water stop), 7:57, 7:55, 7:56 (water/Gu), 7:45, 7:45, 7:46 (wow, steady pace for 10-12), 7:39 for last mile. My Garmin measured the course short, it says the last .1 mile was only 164 ft (at 5:46 pace! ha!), but I'm pretty sure the miles were accurate. I did notice the Garmin said the miles were getting longer even though we were doing laps of the same route. Nice barbecue after the race, then awards ceremony but we were all freezing and anxious to get going. Thanks for reading!

King of PhotoShop

If you run 4 minute PR's and win your AG when you feel carpy going into the race, you will absolutely kill when you are ready to run! Nice job. Spareribs
        I just knew you were going to nail this race when you said you felt carpy!! It is the law of opposites. Way to Go!! you are awesome..... I can't even do one mile at those paces. A big bow down to you...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Excellent Erika! As I said in the daily, I am not surprised and yet I am pumped for you and agree that when the planets align you will fly even faster. Your racing instincts are intact. Congratulations! Karin
          wildchild

Carolyn

Ho Ho Ho! Merry Half Marathon! Cool that you won your AG and got a big PR! And very even splits too. You rock!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Erika, I see that it worked out great for you.Congratulations! If you run splits like that and get AG awards and course PRs on the iffy days it really should boost your confidence about your training. I knew you would do great sometimes we just need our friends to give us a little push. Or maybe it really is Karma. Wink Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Great job, evan. It's hard to beat a big PR, 1st in AG, and nice even splits. Congratulations. TomS
                  SWEET! That's a good race on any day Smile Excellent consistency, the start was a little fast but not unusual. You forgot to mention the winner but I assume it was someone named Rudolph Clowning around Nice race Erika

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Erika, remember this: "Steve, I don't think a 1:40 is in the cards. My PR is 1:45, so anything better than that would be grand. But I'm not feeling it. (funny how I feel like I'm letting you down more than me??)" You couldn't have let me down with any kind of finish but this race was a WOW!! I KNEW you could do this Erika! Your running has been so consitently strong and fast. You are so close to 1:40 now that there ain't nuthin stopping you, especially when you feel primed! That is a really HUGH PR.. 4 min in a half marathon is really something. 1st in AG is the icing on the cake! Congratulations! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Great racing Erika...Congratulations on the PR and AG win!!!
                      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                      Tramps

Well done, Erika! I had read your earlier post saying you weren’t really feeling up for this, but you did great—AG win too! You beat my PR by about a minute. I’ve got a ½ in December, would you mind coming down to pace me? Wink P.S. Why don’t you get yourself a spigot and tap into that pipeline you’ve got up there? How hard can it be to refine a few gallons?

Be safe. Be kind.

OMG a 4 MINUTE PR over last year! Way to go! First in your AG is an added bonus. Congratulations all around. Also, August and 45° at the star?! Shocked

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

HermosaBoy

Lots of high fives with my friends when they heard my time, 1:41:20.3 for first in AG, 11th out of 109 women, not sure where I placed overall. This gives me a PR of almost 4 minutes over last year's time.
                            WOW!!!! Great Effort. Congrats on the hugh PR!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #3309

Congrats to the speedy girl. You really really have been coming on strong as of late...we all notice stuff like that ya know. GREAT JOB Erika!!! Merry Christmas early! TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wowie erika, watch out Mr. Equiinox this year too I bet, . . . and any other marathons that happen to fit into your fall schedule. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)