Masters Running

Jan. 1, 2009 - Happy New Year runs and whatnot (Read 469 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Mainerunnah – I’m glad your son is feeling better. Strange about the diagnosis, though. I hope you keep us posted on that. Stevie Ray – another idea to add to the playpen thought – I made a small kennel in our living room for our puppy with a length of fencing, like rabbit cage wire, 2’ x 16’, I got for $12 at Home Depo. I just made a circle of it, used ties to fasten it, put a tarp and a blanket under it (because she’s not housebroken). It keeps the puppy confined, but close to us, and I can move it easily. Mariposai and Stumpy – congratulations on your mileage PRs! Here is your dancing banana. and this as well: I haven’t run yet, and I’m not sure if I will. I’ve been doing extra miles this week and last, and my legs are feeling a bit stiff. I may just take the day off entirely and be lazy. This is my last paid holiday until Memorial Day, so I may just make the most of it and relax. Happy New Year!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

No run scheduled for me today. Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a very Happy New Year! Big grin
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Thanks Holly and everyone else who expressed concern for our son, we are still playing the waiting game. Confused Last night I got in a quick and easy 5 miles in 39:41 (7:57) in light snow and 19 degrees, then my DW and I went out for a nice dinner and a movie (Marley & Me) and were home by 9:45. I hope everyone had a great evening last night and enjoys a healthy and happy new year! It's about 5 degrees here right now and the winds are blowing pretty good as I prepare to head to Portland for the 2nd Annual Resolution Run. This isn't a race but rather a nice way to get together with other runners. There is a 5K and a 10K course (we're doing the 10K course) and instead of a cash donation this year they are asking for donations of gloves, mittens, hats or socks etc. for kids that run. Hopefully I'll post how things went later today, either way have a great day everyone.
        Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Morning and Happy New Year!! I'm going for my run soon, it is raininig but I welcome that, rather than the tons of snow we'had recently!! Francesca

Hill Runner

Happy New Year Everyone! A sunny, bright Start for the New Year albeit a little windy. 10.24 miles of hills @ 8:56 pace. I didn't intend to run 10 today but everything felt good & easy so I just went with the flow.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Happy New Year, runners. (and whatnot). After a very nice dinner out at our favorite "special occasion" restaurant, we came home and watched WALL-E and went to bed early. Yep - it's a pretty exciting life here in Beerville. I did a nice and easy 6 miles this morning at 9:55 pace. It's my last paid holiday until Memorial Day too, Holly. It's been nice to run in daylight and (mostly) get enough sleep.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Renee the dog

maine, I hope your son has answers soon! Good luck with the run today. Bundle up! We had the rare joy of running together this morning (Mr Nono and me). My friend stayed last night and she watched the kids, while we ran by the library to return books and then headed out to the sand with Renee towing us! It was 21 F with a wind chill of 6. Yesterday, our top wind gust was 62 mph...nothing near that bad today. But we were frozen pretty solid the first mile. 2nd and 3rd miles were much better. And, we weren't the only folks out. Other runners, people out walking in groups walking dogs, and other pairs of runners made for a friendly time. Smile Happy New Year!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

Before we had a dog I had no real interest in anyone else's dog, but Lucy has grown on me and now we can't imagine our household without her. Which is why I took special interest in Robert's dog, and glad Tobias is home and resting, and that the surgery went well. The Saint and I got up early for the Hangover TenK (Hang Ten) fun run at my club at the lake. I wore my luau shirt, they gave out leis at the finish line and at the clubhouse was a full breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, tortillas, tamales, waffles and various pastries, along with champagne, beer and jell-o shots. Behind the clubhouse they had inflatable palm treens, artificial grass, a campfire in a portable oven, and Beach Boys music playing. Did I mention how much I love this club? Temps were low 40's and I was cold, but the atmosphere and gaiety made it seem like low 80's. Good time. My butt where I have that lingering pain on the right side, never did loosen up and in fact began to hurt a bit more as we went, so at 2 I turned around and ran just 4 miles. I will now take a few days off to let it rest. Too bad, as I was running well in December. May everyone have a pain and injury-free '09. Spareribs
                  stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning and happy New year's day to all. Hope everyone had a peaceful and enjoyable night. We ended up at our neighbor's after a party that we were both supposed to go to, got cancelled by the snow. a little peaceful celebration of the new year in this morning's Boston Globe. http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/01/01/a_running_start_to_2009/ I had thoughts of doing a 4 miler in Salem this morning, but the forecast of single digits and 20+ breezes changed my mind. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Good morning and Happy New Year to all. Took it easy last night - dinner with friends. Sunny day today, temp in the 20's with 15-20 mph winds. Did 4 miles @ 9:17 pace. Really enjoyable, as this was my first run outside in the past 5 weeks. Felt good to be out in the fresh air. Warm wishes for a nice, relaxing day to you.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Good afternoon (!) everyone, and Happy New Years! I ran in the morning, but only barely for me, having slept in until almost 7. Apparently I have my energy back, as I was able to do my 10 "GA", no problems. I ran by feel again today -- I put my garmin on a page which doesn't show my average pace. I could see the overall time and did check it a couple of times in the beginning, but I think that's ok. 10.1 miles, 1:22:29, 8:11/mi, AHR 154 Now I plan to be very lazy today. A friend of mine was talking about making home made pasta, so I may try my hand at that later, but for now a nap is in order. Is there any football on? (I do my best napping during football. It has to be in HD, though. Noone knows why.)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice run Lou.. your "by feel" runs have pretty consistent pace around 8:10. I'd call that GA. Nice club Ribs! Maine, Francesca, Peter,PDR, nono and JV...... WTG getting your first run of '09 in! I was set on really attacking a 5K today. I ran the NCRC Resolution Run 5K at NCState this morning. Result: Course PR by 26 secs, 2nd M50-55 with $15 coupon for New Balance stuff and a tech tee (long sleeve) 5K in 22:14 (7:10 pace, AHR 168, max 174) hilly course with downhill start. 6:36, 7:26, 7:33. Wanted to quit halfway. Missed 1st place by 4 seconds! 30F shorts and long sleeve tee and gloves. (this is not a RR Smile)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

at the clubhouse was a full breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, tortillas, tamales, waffles and various pastries, along with champagne, beer and jell-o shots.
                            rings in the new year by drooling>......... But in a move of gentlemanly sportsmanship, I'd gladly give my jell-o shot to someone half my age. MY running club is yet to send me the logo singlet I bought in May; sounds like you keep good company down there, Ribs. Nice run, Perch!
                              Good Start to the New Year! Worked a split double shift last night , then slept 3 hrs. before a Hangover Classic 5k. It's a free private run with 60 people from someone's home, this was the 22nd annual. It has been attended by at least 10 all american runners thru the years. Prizes are donated, the biggest prizes are given out by time prediction. I predicted last years time of 26:40. The course is somewhat hilly & a double loop. Race time 12F w/ a little snow & lots of ice on the roads which are open city streets. I finished in 25:50 Cool & held back because I knew I had to be ahead of pace, could of easily made 25:00. Everyone brings food and we then have brunch. As always there's too many cookies. Big grin It was the 10th straight at the Hangover for me & DW & it's always fun with 60 friends in a garage. Smile DW 1st Masters women won her 10th new car (another Corvette) Roll eyes Have a Happy New Year!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Happy New Year!
                                DW 1st Masters women won her 10th new car (another Corvette) Roll eyes
                                Seriously?!? A Corvette is actually donated? DG - The "Playing for Change" - very cool video. I got to see that awhile back on the Bill Moyer show in PBS. I fell in love with it and have been waiting impatiently to see if they will be putting out a CD. Ribs - Your club sounds like a heck of a lot of fun! No run today. Am still nursing that sore ankle, although it's feeling better. Might give an easy run a try tomorrow in my trail shoes since my road shoes won't be in 'til next week. The Hub talked me into ordering two pair so that I can rotate them. Never done that before. Have always had one pair of road and used one pair of trail shoes. Stumpy - Did you end up ordering the Garmin 305? My friend used her's the other day for the first time on our trail system and said it tracked her miles the entire time, even when the trees were thick. I may have to dig into my piggy bank and see if I can afford one now that the price is coming down. My 301 doesn't track in the trees at all.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance