Masters Running

Friday April 11 Boomer/Masters Runs and whatever ... (Read 567 times)

I guess I get to start us off again ... Nothing very interesting today. 5 miles at recovery (10:19 min/mile) pace. Average HR 121. Everyone have a great day. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

No run yet for me. I am heading to Longmeadow to run 15 with a friend and then need to drive my grandmother to the doctor’s office (also in the Springfield area). She just amazes me. She goes to a tai chi class at 8 AM and then walks a mile with one of the younger “girls” (an 87 year-old). I am very lucky. I have to clear something up from yesterday’s thread…..Aamos! A Yankees fan?! No Way! While I don’t have the passion about the Sox/Yankees rivalry that some possess, I am a Red Sox fan. My grandmother still has clippings from the Sox win in 1918 ---she was eight. We can’t afford to see the Sox play in Boston, so we are heading to Toronto in August even to see them play. Phew! Cleared that up! Thanks for the props though. I too think we would have great fun. Who knows how it will all play out on 4/21. I am hoping we all have a good day and that the uncontrollable variables aren’t too wild. Any chance you’ll be in this area after the race? It’s school vacation week in Massachusetts, so I’ll be at home hanging with my guys (and walking down stairs backwards). I’ll take you out for ice cream! Big grin More soon, CNYrunner Hi Breger! Happy Friday

The Jogger

Morning Gang Nice 5 Bill. I have been doing 3 milers most of the week as my hip still hurts. Feels like and have booked in for physio next Tues. Things are not looking great at the minute for the May25th marathon but we will see. So apart from that, life is good. Good Runs All Roy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning! Bregre.. if your HR gets any lower you're gonna have to start taking defib paddles with you on your runs Big grin Last intense effort today, 10 days before the race. Pfitz says a good VO2max stimulus will help. The prescription was 8 miles with 3x1 mile at 5K pace. I did the programmed Garmin thing with 2 min jogs between speed sessions and started the speed work after a 2 mi warm-up. Target was about 7:00. The miles were: 6:51 (just wanted to see..) 7:13 7:08 Avg 7:05 ... good enough Overall: 8.1 mi in 1:04:58 (8:01 pace, AHR 159) Have great runs!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Roy! It is good to hear from you . . . . I hope that everything works out for your marathon. Keep us posted!! Perch - So happy to read that Tory is doing better. Give her an extra treat from me!! Hip Hip Horray! I Love rest days!! Cheers! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

PJH

Late posting of yesterday's run. Internet down all day. No run planned for today. Last tempo run during taper. Coach says next week will be MP-paced miles only. Got in 9.7 mi in 1:28. w/u - 3.0 @ 9:52 ... 3.8 @ tempo 7:54 w/156 hr ... 2.9 c/d @ 9:53. Feels good to have speed work over. CNY - you should be able to get some great seats for the ball game ... unless of course the Jays are in first place at that time ...then ???? Have you been here before? Had my 3 grand-daughters for a sleepover last night. Fun times. Great running everyone! PJ
                Hi PJH--- What fun to have a grandkids sleepover! We already snared the Sox/Jays tickets and they are great ones indeed. I have been to Toronto lots and love the city---so much to do and so nice. I have been toying with doing the marathon there this fall even. As a former Upstate New Yorker, I tended to go northward for trips more than South. My favorite spot is Cache Lake in Algonquin Park where a Rochester friend has a cottage. Bliss! Okay, okay....taper madness has me posting TWICE before I even run! Enough! CNY
                PJH

CNY - You do realize we have two marathons in the fall - the Toronto Waterfront in Sept (flat course that runs along the lake) and the Toronto International in Oct (more hilly and runs north/south through the city) ... both good events. Why we have two I have never been able to figure out. It really splits the attendance in half. One in the spring and one in the fall would work better in my mind. A mix of both routes could work too. Although we now have the Mississauga Marathon in May (year 6) which is growing nicely and I'd hate to see a Toronto marathon competing with this. The best solution - one Toronto marathon in the fall; Mississauga in the spring. Seems simple to me. Btb - I thought the Spirit of the Marathon was really great. Really enjoyed the parts that featured the Kenyans and their training back home. The run on some very tough surfaces. Very sad about the one Kenyan who had two family members murdered. I also didn't know much about Deena's running past either - very interesting. She looked pretty tired and just hung on in winning the Chicago Marathon in '06. The rest, as they say, is history. I must be feeling taper madness too. I never write this much. ... and I'm not running today either. PJ
                    Last intense effort today, 10 days before the race. Pfitz says a good VO2max stimulus will help. The prescription was 8 miles with 3x1 mile at 5K pace. I did the programmed Garmin thing with 2 min jogs between speed sessions and started the speed work after a 2 mi warm-up. Target was about 7:00. The miles were: 6:51 (just wanted to see..) 7:13 7:08 Avg 7:05 ... good enough Overall: 8.1 mi in 1:04:58 (8:01 pace, AHR 159)
                    Hey Perch looks like you and I are working off the same Pfitz schedule (although I made some alterations to fit my needs) here's what I did yesterday (posted late in yesterday's thread) I was looking for a little faster mile times but probably suffered from the faster than normal warmup (just felt good) and the really strong headwinds during half of each lap at the track: 2.25 mile warm up to the high school track 17:25 - (7:44) - Avg HR 132 Max HR 147 3 x 1 mile repeats w/2:00 recovery jogs between - 6:51 - 2:00 - 6:37 - 2:00 - 6:34 - 2:00 - Total 3.68 miles - 27:23 - (7:26) - The wind was a real Bit** on the repeats at the track - made for slower repeats than I had planned, plus I did mile repeats instead of just 1600's which doesn't really make much of a difference, I just find it easier to program into the Garmin that way. 2.25 mile cool down – back home - 18:43 - (8:19) - Avg HR 138 Max HR 147 Total - 8.18 miles - 1:03:31 - (7:45) Great job...keep up the good work.
                      Bill-When your HR is that low,do you still sweat??? just kiddin of course... Perch-Nice and speedy!!! Roy-I hope your hip gets better real soon... Nice runs for you PJ and Mainerunnah...I'll be going out soon Supposed to be 70 degrees tomorrow here,the first warm day...I'll be out with the running club...WooHoo!!
                      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        From pfriese yesterday
                        Evening all, I went out for a lap around the lake in a BRUTAL WIND. The sky was red from all of the dust in the air. I checked the weatherunderground when I got in, 30-40mph sustained wind while I was out!! At least it was a nice 70 degrees. 8 miles @ avg pace of 9:14/mile Paul
                        Paul, You're a tough son of a gun to be running in that mess! That was brutal. I bet the sandblasting will keep you lookin' young, though! Big grin A week or two back I was doing an out and back to the dam at Olverholser. I was bucking a pretty stiff wind myself that day (not as bad as yesterday). I met a runner running with the wind. I said something stupid like, "looks like you got the wind at your back." The runner said, "Yes." Was that you?
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Taper madness? I am not training for anything specifically I am just flat tired. But I will tell everyone I am in taper mode. Last day to run with the kiddies-getting very antsy to run outside again. Enjoy your day and your weekend.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Roy, I hope that you heal up quickly... I had another "dog" encounter this morning. Just as I was at the apex of the steepest hill on my route, a woman was coming down her driveway to get the newspapers with her Boxer. I noticed that he was growling & coming at me ......Why is it that the first words from a dog owner are always " Oh, he won't hurt you" ? ....Yeah, I've heard that before Roll eyes Anyway, I knew that I had to completely stop, stand my ground or I think he would have tried to take a nip out of me. It all worked out and I finished with all my body parts intact. Smile 7.41 MOH @ 9:02 pace this morning, I was very lethargic at the start of the run but as usual I felt great after I finished. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                            Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                            Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning Boomers, Like Mary, a scheduled (and much needed) rest day today. The snow stayed north, but it's raining so hard right now it's coming down sideways. We have new little "ponds" in our back yard. I half expect to see some ducks swimming in them soon. Wow - you Bostoner's are pumped. I can feel the excitement in your posts this morning! It's so neat to see all your hard training come to fruition as you begin your tapering. It's almost as good as running myself (and not nearly as hard on my body!) Roy - sorry to hear about your hip. Rest and hopefully your doctor's appt will help you find a cure quickly. Don't give up on your marathon yet. Finally got my copy of Runner's World Magazine this month. Was surprised (and pleased that I know her) to see our very own Amy's name listed as winning the Zoom! Yah! Yah! marathon in 3:37. Can we have your autograph, Amos?! Good runs to all, Jeanne
                              dg.

Bill, thanks for starting. wow!!! for yesterday. at least, I think it was yesterday. Perch, I'd say good enough too. I'm so glad Tory's ok. aww Roy, I"m sorry your hip still hurts. {{{{ }}}} I hope you find out something good or at least useful at your appt. --- what are you doing to treat it? PDR, targeted hammie vibes for you. I think you should rest too. I hope so much it gets better fast. nice runs everybody. pj, I like it when you write that much. CNY, your grandmother is amazing. Erika, where are you? I heard a piece of a story about the airline mess on the way back from the gym this morning, someone was describing how they stayed up till 3 a.m. to try to change their flight, & they never could get through on the phone lines. At the gym I tried a new plan which didn't turn out as I'd hoped, but no harm done. 6 minutes on the arc trainer to warm up, the resistance is still stuck too high, then some proprioceptive exercises, modified just a little, then the track. ( 3.03 miles). I'll do them separately next time, i was a little sore to start running. They have a precor stretch trainer.. I'd never tried one before. I really like it. I bet if we all had one at home we would be model little stretchers after every run. Smile. didn't post yesterday, didn't do much, but it was the proprioceptive exercises, a yoga ab dvd that I like, & some callanetics. happy friday.