Masters Running

Run of the Valkyries 8k (Read 232 times)

evanflein

This race used to be sponsored by GCI, a statewide communications company. They had such wonderful prizes and doorprizes... I won a $200 gift certificate two years ago as a doorprize (for phone/cable/internet services). But... GCI pulled out. Now it's a fundraiser for "OperaFairbanks," the new local and struggling opera troupe here. The entry fee went from $15 to $25, which I think cost them some participation, but you could also get pledges for that amount and more (one of the end-of-race prizes was for most money raised). The course was supposed to be the same course the old race used for years, but with all the rain we've had the Chena River is so high that part of the bike path used on the course is under water. So yesterday they finalized a new course and I was hoping it was accurate. Same starting point but heading east toward downtown. Race start at 10 a.m. saw overcast conditions, mid-50's temps and no rain (yeah!). I ran an easy mile warmup and went to the start. The "starting gun" was a singer, and when she hit her high note we were off. Ok, that was fun. I was in the front third and fell in with one of our local running legends who was pacing his wife for her race. I stayed with them for the first 3k or so, but let them pull away as I didn't want to go out too fast and crash at 7k. Reached the 4k mark at 15 minutes which would put me on tap for a smokin' PR... so I slowed just a bit. First mile was 7:05, so I knew I'd better slow down a bit. I could feel the effort but didn't feel bad, my foot felt good and my legs weren't tired like they sometimes get when I jackrabbit off the line. I just kept it up and wondered where Grace was... she's my only real AG competition in this race because KG wasn't there. (seems like most of my AG has left town...) I past her going back on the out-and-back, she was a minute or so behind me. The course goes along the river so it was fun to watch it... so much water! It's usually a pretty slow, low and sleepy river so this was fun (for me) to see. I'm sure the folks upstream suffering flooded houses aren't thinking it's so much fun. No women passed me after the 3k mark and I passed several guys in the last half. The last one I past just after the 7k mark and then I was on my own to the end. I was surprised that I did have some kick left at the end so then that makes you wonder if you worked hard enough. Oh well... crossed the finish line in 36:40, a 30 second PR and good for first in AG. (no age group awards at this race, just top three men and top three women... I was maybe top 10 but not close to 3...) This also pretty much seals the end of year AG award for our local series, but we do have three races left. Then I ran 5 miles to DH's office for a ride home (hey, had to get my miles in for the day!).
    DickyG

30 second PR? That's just huge! What a great...and gutty...race. Nice going, Erika. JealousG
        Erika that is a excellent race with a smokin' PR Big grin Congrats on the series award.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Erika.. I was wondering if you were going to have to swim part of this one Smile VERY nice! That is a big PR and you are a shoe in for the series AG awards! Congratulations! ... getting stronger! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Way to go Erika! Good racing and while I am not surprised that you grabbed a big PR, I am still thrilled for you. You are a strong and swift runner. Karin
            HermosaBoy

A well run race Erika! Congrats on the big PR!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

#artbydmcbride

How the heck do you keep getting faster and faster?? Congratulations! jealousforward Big grin

Runners run

Way to go Erika, a great race and a PR to boot! We ended our runs similarly...with a little cool down run to get in the miles...hey at least I'm not the only crazy one! Wink Congrats again in a great race.
                    Great racing Erika How did you ever manage to pul a PR out of this one? Obviously you are on top of your game. Congratulations!
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      Another PR for Erika, (Yawn) You continue to amaze me that you get better and better. The conditions seem to always be a challenge for you and yet you find a way to get it done. You are one of my RA heroes. Great racing!!! Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Great race Erika...a 30 second PR as well...WOW!!
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                          Wow... congrats!! nice PR and first in AG!! It's amazing to me that you keep making huge improvements....without a coach or any obvious rule-following. Very admirable!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Congrats on your PR and AG win. You did well, evan. TomS

Renee the dog

So cool and I'm glad the new course worked out OK. Well with a 30 sec PR, I guess that would be an understatement. Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

wildchild

Carolyn

Well done on another fine race and PR! Kind of nice when the competition is out of town on race day, too. You're so fast and consistent in your running. I can only dream of being that fast...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.