Masters Running

Sunny Sunday July 29th Daily (Read 387 times)

Tramps

Congratulation to Leslie!  Hope we get some details.

Mike—1st and 7th in a son/father tandem is pretty cool!  Congrats

Troy’s shopping trips are very different than mine.

Pretty good 11-miler.  Unfortunately the route was 13 miles. Roll eyes  Jogged/walked the last couple of miles.  No energy and feeling a little overheated.  Still, beautiful out there today. 

Enjoy the day!

Be safe. Be kind.

...mornin' tramps///........yeah,

the best way

to describe it is

''go into a Sauna,

wrap a wet wool blanket over your face,

and

try to breathe thru it''

but it still beats Snow

=========

......90s here

slick grass,

mega-humid,

no wind.

...............38min trailrun CA

not

really Hurting, but not really Enjoyable either.

Luckily,

BadRuns count double.

........................................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

but it still beats Snow

+1

20.3 miles for me this morning (ave pace 10:45) in temps that went from 65 to 85 degrees as the sun came up.

14 of those miles were with a new running friend.  What a pleasure it was to share a LR for a change.  We chatted up a storm, and agreed to set a couple of "away" races to do together to share costs and training.  Very cool!

Now I'm off to the pool with DD, since we can't seem to talk the guys into it.  Nap on the agenda for later, then dinner out with friends of DH from work.

Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, DD talked me into playing tennis instead of going to the pool.  Still in my running gear, I told her, "if you want to go, we'd best go right now,since I'm already sweaty and I will lose my resolve once I shower and sit down."

I don't necessarily recommend playing an hour of tennis directly after a 20-mile run, in the sun, with temps in the 80's, especially when you both are REALLY bad, which means a lot of sprinting after crazy hits. However, I was determined to not be a wussie, and we didn't leave until DD said she was done....Joking

TomWhite - if bad runs count double, I need to revise my running log....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

DW, DD#2 and the dogs are out of town for the week. I got a couple of slow trail miles in. With out Tag, there were  more wildlife encounters than I'm used to. Startling, but very kewl. Nothing like Troy sees. Although, after watching several documentaries, I've learned to defend myself from most plants, raptors, super genius gorillas, and several carnivorous fungi.  Most of these techniques should apply to an occasional bear.

SteveP

coastwalker

Hi all,

We're back from vacation. We had a great time at our rental house in Castine, ME. We grilled most nights (ribs, burgers, salmon and steak); made our own lobster rolls another night; went on 2 cruises on the 54', 1934-vintage sailboat, the Guildive (on one, we had great wind and raced across Penobscot Bay at about 8 knots, which was wonderful speed for the boat); sat and watched a celtic R&B band perform on the town dock; and went poking around a craft fair in Blue Hill, and some great antique shops in Ellsworth. I went for workouts most mornings, getting up at 4:30-5:00 and reading for about an hour before heading out. The only bummer was that I had a bit of a crisis on some Conservation Commish. business during the week, and had to spend too much time on the phone dealing with the issues.

We got back late Saturday afternoon. This morning, I went to the York Days 5K in York, ME (about 40 minutes up the coast from here). It was drizzly before the race, but it all but stopped by the 8am race time. It was about 64F, and muggy enough to slice the air - I almost wished it had kept raining. I didn't warm up well enough, and had shin splints for most of the first 2 miles, which was annoying. I finished in 32:32, which was good enough for 2nd place among the racewalkers. It was not a great time for me (I wanted to be in the 31's) but that was the best I could do today.

While we were away, a guy who writes a running column about running in the local paper ran a column about racewalking. Here's the LINK.

I can't promise that I'll be able to catch up on all your activities from last week, so I trust that everyone is well and that life is progressing along good tracks. Good workouts today, Tramps, TomW and Holly. Congrats, Holly, on meeting a new running buddy.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Congrats Leslie!  Holly, I was just comparing temps from my run there 2 weeks ago.  I ran better but I can imagine what 85 with your humidity would feel like.  Just under 10 miles for me today.  I was present in the moment for much of the run, which was my goal so at least I achieved that, although my pace didn't progress at the end quite like my Coach had planned.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

SteveP

Nice write up Jay.

SteveP

Rhoon, get out and run before I whack you upsida head. (menacing look).

Anyone else with a lot of excuses? Glad to be of service.  Approve

Yesterday I took my son up to the mountains for a good hike; lots of wildflowers. The view from the top was panoramic! MT Jefferson, MT (stoopid autocorrect) Washington, 3 Fingered Jack and the Three Sisters.

Today, a 7-mile slog that felt superfast but wasn't.

Tramps -- Mr Bean was my favorite part of the ceremonies. I fell asleep at the B countries, though...

King of PhotoShop

13 miles for me today in 2:12. Started at 6:30 and was very comfortable until about 11 miles so I figure I got in just what I needed to.

Nice job Leslie. I could never do that kind of distance and I admire all the ultra people.

Checked the newspaper today for the winners of yesterday's $30 5K to see if I would have won had I entered.  The mens' 65-69 1st place ran a 35 minute time, so my frugality cost me some ink.

Our club asks for volunteers to mix the Gatorade and fill big 5 gallon jugs of it, along with water and put them out on two places on the course with cups.  I do it about 3 times a year.  They had a drawing of all the aid volunteers for July and I won a nice backpack.  Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody! 

Welcome back Jay!  Sounds like you had a great vacation.  Congrats on your 2nd place finish, too.

Thanks, Tramps.  I've always had fun going to races with my kids.

Congratulations to Hermosaboy and CamScam finishing 1st and 2nd, yesterday!  How cool is that?

I sure hope OM is okay...

I just went for a really nice 10.4 mile run.  72o...really nice.  I just took it nice and easy and still ended up with a 1:18:49.  Man, I love running.

Okay--that's it--gotta go--see ya! 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I was lucky enough to see some of the opening ceremonies on the flight back from NC to Boston, but noticed that Mr Bean was on as I was walking down the aisle after arriving.  Sad  Read an interesting comment somewhere about how little of the ceremony actually involves athletics.

6.1 miles around the lake (twice) this morning.  slow, but felt not bad after missing several runs while traveling during the week.  I've had a sore spot at the point where the 5th metatarsal connects to one of the ankle bones (that I can't remember the name of) that seems to flare up when I wear my work boots for more than a couple of days.  Iced when I got home Friday night, so it felt OK this morning.  Guess I'll have to figure out what's going on--I really like the boots and would hate to have to find new ones.

Sounds like an amazing race for Leslie.  Welcome back, Jay.  Guess Carolyn and OM have matched up--apparently too busy running and enjoying themselves to say Hi. Wink  Me, I can't wait till it gets back into the 50s.  Snow would be fine as far as I'm concerned.

ETA--there was a 24 hour race around our lake starting Friday night into Sturday night.  Just looked at the results and the winner did 44 laps for 140 miles.Shocked

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Tomwhite and Holly - I'll take running in snow over running in H&H any day!

I had a fun trail run with OrangeMat this morning!   Twocat - she says to tell you you're a wuss, and my selection of a trail to run was just fine! Joking  But she did have one minor fall - just means she's a real trail runner now!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Swoon

SteveP

leslie, congrats on the 50.  Mike neat that you got to race with your kids and that you were 1st in your AG.  Jay, good job on 2nd racewalker in your race.  wild and OM it's great you got to do a trail run together.

Nice long runs for Tramp, holly, Opie, ribs, and Mike.

This morning, it was in the mid 50s and almost calm.  I got in 3 miles at an 11:07 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS