Masters Running

Saturday - 03/15 (Read 38 times)

It's almost 8:00 here on the West Coast, so the East Coasters must be really sleeping in.

Good luck to our racers this weekend.  Hopefully, Carolyn is carrying a camera with her today!

Anybody else getting tired of all the "sensationalism" going on with the loss of the Malaysia plane?  Lots and lots and lots of theories.  Every day a new theory by the news people.  Whatever has happened, my heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones.

Starr - Re the pool running - - if your legs were doing 90 mpg and you weren't going anywhere you were doing it right.

Have 16 miles ahead of me today.  Was going to go out to Headwaters, but I don't feel like being out there for 4 hrs, so heading to the McKay, which has a lot less climbing. . . . and it ain't gonna happen if I don't get going, so see you later ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

New skirt in town

11 miles this morning, with 6 of them at MP.  A little bit of a cutback week this week, with mileage just touching 50.

I will admit to being glued to the news about this Malaysia flight.  Even though the outcome is likely to be grim, the sliver of hope that these passengers might actually be alive is keeping me coming back to the story over and over again.

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good afternoon, Ladies.  Pretty slow here today.  hope everyone has nice spring weather and is out enjoying it.

As for me, I started out excited to get a shorts run after a poor weather week.  First 2.5 miles was very pleasant.  Then out of nowhere, I apparently pulled a hammy.  It was one step--uhoh something's not right, 2nd step--oh bleep.  I was hoping it was just a cramp, but no such luck.  Now sitting on an ice pack and hoping it goes away quickly.  Actually a good thing I didn't sign up for any races at the end of March.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hey friends -- I slept in until 8am and it felt WONDERFUL!!

6.4 miles today with 5 at a tempo-ish pace....8:30-8:49 pace - I know my tempo should probably be more like 8:20-8:30 but I plan on running 20 tomorrow with the 13.1 New Bedford 1/2 miles at marathon pace, so didn't want to push any harder.

Thursday I did my first brick of the season - 5:30 am spin class followed by 3.2 miles on the treadmill....need to get more of that done!!

Now time to celebrate Maria's 1st birthday!!  Can't believe our baby is a year old!!  HAPPY SATURDAY my friends!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday Maria!

Kevin - I hope your hamstring issue resolves quickly for you.

It's chilly outside but the sun is so bright and lovely.  More snow tomorrow apparently.

Many errands with the family this morning followed by lunch out.  Then 5:30pm church, 7pm DD's soccer practice followed by an 8pm game.  I will be happy when this Saturday evening league is finished.

4.8 miles for me this morning in a windy 38 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Happy BDay Maria!

Stumpy - ice always helps - hope it feels better soon

Nice runs for robin, deez, & holly and soon we'll hear from fatozzig on her miles

breakfast with one GD, then ran 5 in shorts. the path along the muddy river was dry and fun

good luck to all racers!

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Ten mile training run!
                10-mile training run!
                X-mile training run!
                longest since IM days ten years ago.
                It wasn’t that planned though.

cloudy but didn't start sprinkling until last mile.
                Have you ever forgotten anything at a race?
                I’m sure it had nothing to do with getting older, very older, but somehow, at the rainy Spring Run-for-Fun Marathon two weeks ago, I got separated from a precious 100-mile logo hooded sweatshirt I just got last year maybe for the only time, $100 Japanese Shinto Monk denim happy-coat type jacket from 35 years ago, and half long johns with Japanese heat-tech singlet from my last trip over there.  By e-mail, the RD said he had ‘em all and would bring their lost-and-found box to an orienteering event they had there today. 
                It didn’t start until 10 a.m. so I went a little early for a ten mile circuit around the same Lake Youngs venue as for this year’s 100-miler in May. It confirmed how even more ridiculous it is for me to be trying it again but that’s what we like about running when we don’t know if we can do something or not. 
                The RD not only had all four items but he’d washed and dried ‘em all too.
                I was really grateful and I wondered if maybe I could throw in a couple of white shirts next time.
                What a nice guy. No wonder I love running so much.
                All the sad, sad tragedies being prepetrated all over the world by subhuman scumbags nowadays make me wonder why so many victims are young people with their lives, families, and friends in front of them instead of loading up the plane or something with us old geezers who’ve had our wonderful days in the sun.  oh well.

ps Starr - I’m probably not the only one shying from publicizing birthdays but a monthly birthday list for everyone and link to your birthday book might even bring others out of the woodwork.  You tell me your birthday and I'll tell you mine.  Oh, you probably already know.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

good afternoon! I wish you all could be enjoying warm spring weather like we are blessed with today!

david and I ran a race this morning. an Inaugural race to benefit a community led organization called "securing our safety". Unfortunately, we live in a county that never passes levee's to support worthwhile things like law enforcement, jail staff, etc. we literally have 3 deputies that patrol our mostly rural county. so about a year ago, several deputies that were laid off when there was no more funding, along with community members formed S.O.S. So this race was a benefit for this group.

David ran the 5 K, which was an out and back with the first half being a gradual downhill (hence his 5:39 mile! ) and then of course an uphill coming back, where his pace slowed by about 30 seconds, but he was so far in the lead at this point, he wasn't concerned with it. he took 1st place overall and the 2nd guy was almost 2 min behind him. David won a $150 prepaid Visa card for his 1st place win.  I ran the 10K which was a loop and quite a hilly one too! My time was 58:13 which was only good enough for 9/18.  but it was a good 6.2 mile run today and that's what I wanted to do.

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Wow a pro already!  very nice race.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

pfriese

Good race at ST PADDY'S DAY GREAT RACE OF THE PLAINS 8K this morning. It went much better than I expected as this was my first race since November. I was 3rd in AG with a 40:25 (8:08/mile).

WTG David!

King of PhotoShop

7,000 ran our St. Paddy's Day race today. I was 4th of 20 in AG, 8:18 pace, not so hot, but I felt good and that's what matters.

Tammy, great to hear about David's race.

Well done Tet.  Spareribs

Mariposai

I will admit to being glued to the news about this Malaysia flight.  Even though the outcome is likely to be grim, the sliver of hope that these passengers might actually be alive is keeping me coming back to the story over and over again.

--Robin

Me too.

After a 10 hours of sleep I woke up (dreaming of farm), ate breakfast and left for my long run. Lovely weather, a bit windy towards the end, but spring is here. The orchard workers are giving the trees their spring haircut, the birds are singing, the cows are calving, the sand hill crane are coming back from down south. What is not to love about spring. 21 miles with a huge negative split, but the run was very, very slow.

My view from yesterday's trip to the Methow Valley. Bald Eagles hanging out. It was one of those unique shots. On my way back, two hours later, it was snowing and cloudy.

Go racers go!!!!

I can't wait to see more gorgeous pictures. Pictures do make me happy 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Dave59

Congratulations David.  He reminds me of a home school kid who would come to local events as his "sport" and sprint away with virtually all of them.  (I was a casual acquaintance of his father.)  It got to the point where he wouldn't come to a race unless he felt there would be someone there to push him.  And this was an older high school kid so not even as impressive as David today.

I have not been feeling too good lately.  I ran/walked a very slow 3.5 miles on the basement treadmill today.  I am having the same type of thing I seem to keep getting where I get freaked out because of chest tightness.  Last year I had a nuclear stress test and an endoscopy and everything was ok.  So I am going to ride it out for a while this time.  I'll call the doctor's office Monday and schedule a physical that I am due for and talk about it then unless it gets worse or goes away.

I think I'll quit my joke diet of Reese's Cups, pizza and beer and start eating healthier and watching the calories. That could go a long way to helping me start feeling better.  I threw my last 2 Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs in the trash out of frustration.  That is a first for me.  Hopefully I won't go dig them out the minute I start feeling better.

Wow!  First place AND $150 VISA card!  Congrats, David.  Don't go spending it all in one place.

Starr's birthday book - I was wondering what that was all about, but forgot to ask.  I never know when anybody's birthday is until someone who is more with it around here tells someone else Happy Birthday.  But don't feel special, ya'll.  I barely remember my own family's birthdays.

Tet - Even you are old geezers are worth more than a pot of gold.  So happy you got your stuff back!

I think the tipping point with me on the reporting of the missing plane was the CNN reporter reporting from inside the cockpit of a simulator.  To me, it was pure sensationalism, and that kind of reporting gets me going - and not in a good way.  It's one of the reasons that although I started out in school wanting to be a journalist, I never followed through.

Stumpy - Be very, very good to that hammy over the next few days.

Today's 16, to be blunt, S-U-C-K-E-D.  I haven't bonked that hard in a very long time, and it was a fairly benign logging road.  Lots of reasons why, but I won't bore you with the details.  Came home and sucked down a large glass of milk with Ovaltine, showered, and ate a bowl of chili, and I'm still feeling shaky.  I see more eating in my future . . . .

Okay - In answer to prayer, I was blessed with a large transcription job, so off I go.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Friends ~~~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Wow!  First place AND $150 VISA card!  Congrats, David.  Don't go spending it all in one place.

Originally, we thought these were cash prizes, so when I asked what he'd do with his winnings, he said "put it in my savings account".

now that he has a visa card, he can't do that and will have to spend it on something. and I'm betting he'll have it for several months before he spends it. It'll probably be his "cash" he takes to Seattle when we take him there this fall for a Seahawks game.

thanks for all the feedback on David. the 5K and 10K all started out the same so I got to see him on the turnaround and let me tell you, seeing the pace bicycle pacing your son in the lead is a wonderful feeling I'll carry with me forever. As he ran by, I said "way to go son! good job!" and the woman next to me said "that was your son?!!" "I got goosebumps just seeing him running with the pacer - he looks so awesome!"   and then at the awards gathering, a mom with her 6 yr old son who ran the kids dash, said "would you mind if I took your picture with my son" . . . LOL!  David looked embarrassed by the attention. I told him he should be proud because those little kids look up to older kids.

Tammy