Masters Running

Saturday daily (1-4/14):marathons and more or less (Read 42 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy New Year.  whatdcha doin on a jay-like 1-4-14:

My weekend started out like a nightmare when i found out Travelex at the airport no longer sells insurance for flights to asia and then the plane buffeted through violent 145 mph headwinds with temperatures outside so cold at 36,000 feet (-85F) that it was only 11 degrees on the cabin wall next to me. I thought i was in erika land as it was dark for 22 hours from 4pm seattle time on friday to 7am tokyo time on saturday or is that 39 hours? .

However, it was more than made up for with 130 degrees of northern lights across the northern horizon below us and then being able to run in saturday:s takebashi Imperial Palace Marathon (that mikemp did too a couple of years ago in the summer) in a nice sub-seven (6:48) even though I haven:t run that much since my last maration over here in August when Marathon queen Noriko Sakota reached her 1,000 marathon milestone. I even I ran a fast 40 minute lap 6K lap with 69-yo Tomi Watanabe on his own way to 1,000 in April or May (today was no. 978). No wonder I love running so much. However, though I may go run the last two or three miles on the beach to the tunranruond, I don:t think I:ll be dreaming tonight about running their Enoshima Marathon on sunday. oh well. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

My weekend started out like a nightmare when i found out Travelex at the airport no longer sells insurance for flights to asia and then the plane buffeted through violent 145 mph headwinds with temperatures outside so cold at 36,000 feet (-85F) that it was only 11 degrees on the cabin wall next to me.

I hate flying.  I would have been a shriveling ball of terror.  I know Mike would understand.  So glad you made back to the ground alive!  And well done on running a marathon afterward!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

So....did tet run a marathon?  How many have you done, tet?  By the way...having the insurance would not have helped me through that flight.  And, congratulations on your marathon...I think...

Okay...gotta get ready for a race.  I'm going to run it as fast as I can because the temperature is supposed to drop 7between 9:00 and 10:00.  I wish we could run it now.  It's 26right now....dropping to 10 by 10...and the wind is blowing...tell me why I'm doing this?  I wonder if I could just run 5k on the treadmill and report my time to the race officials...hmm....it's a thought.

tetsujin209 I am pretty sure the flight insurance just makes it more likely somebody will then try to bring the plane down to collect.  So, maybe it was a good thing you did not have any.

Mike E let me know if the RD bites on your idea.  I might need it later this winter.

No run for me today.  Just the elliptical.  But I have a 10k tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

coastwalker

Mornin' Tet, Holly, Mike, Twocat, and everyone else.

Tet, I would have hated your flight for so many reasons, the least of which would have been the lack of insurance. Congrats on landing safely, and on your sub-7 marathon, and on completing a lap with Mr. Watanabe!

Good luck in your race, Mike. Sorry about the cold temps.

Twocat, good luck in your 10K tomorrow. It should warm up a bit by then.

It was -2 when I woke this morning, so I was glad that we had a racewalking training session scheduled on an indoor track today. I drove along the coast on the way up to the track, and there was steam coming off the whole ocean because the air was so much colder than the water. The seas were still roiling after yesterday's storm, so of course there were guys out surfing. What a sight to see them surfing in the steam! The indoor track was a lot warmer than outside, but it was still pretty dang chilly, and I kept my sweatshirt on till I got warmed up. I was there early, and got in 4 good miles before our crew started to show up. Tet, relative to your question from a couple of days ago, I counted my strides today, and I did about 158 for a 55-second lap, so I'm guessing I was at about 165 strides/minute. We had 2 newbies today, so I spent most of my time with them, explaining the rules of racewalking, and getting them started on learning to walk funny. I also did another half mile with another racewalker as he was sticking right behind a runner on the track. We stayed on pace with the runner, but it sure was a challenge. All in all, a good workout and training session.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

usandtoto-2@msn.com

being able to run in saturday:s takebashi Imperial Palace Marathon (that mikemp did too a couple of years ago in the summer) in a nice sub-seven (6:48)

Jon, nice run this morning.  I'm looking forward to running one there this coming August.  Its hard to believe that it was over 4 years ago that I last ran around the Imperial Palace.  The Japanese runners put a new meaning to the words endurance and perseverance.

Good morning everyone

Mike E - good luck running fast and getting back inside to the warmth.

2Cat - My training plan this month consists of running 5-8 easy miles each day with Sundays long run starting at 14 miles and increasing a mile per week.  (weekly mileage 50-53).  Plus cross training M-F after my run.

6 fairly easy miles for me this morning on the TM.  Although the weather here is 40 degrees and clear with a nice view of MT Rainer.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

tetsujin209 I am pretty sure the flight insurance just makes it more likely somebody will then try to bring the plane down to collect.  So, maybe it was a good thing you did not have any.

Smile

============

still sick

so far for 2014

SQUAT

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Doodley Variety

................................GoodRunningGuys..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Glad you made it safely Tet! And even more so that you had a nice run in one of your favorite places ever---or was it a dream? Either way, nice Saturday start.

Second week in a row where I joined Iron J for the weekly snowstorm series race (alternating 5ks and 10ks every Saturday in Forest Park until mid-March). It was -15 at my house, but 1 degree F when I got to her house and we started off on our pre-"race" loop of 6 miles. We timed it pretty well so we could pin on a race number and jump into the 5k. We missed the start by about 45 seconds and ran hard to catch the pack. We probably finished mid-pack by the end and neither one of us tumbled on the icier patches---close though! Bright sunshine and sparkling snow in the park---pretty spectacular. We ran back to her house for a bit more than 10 miles on the day with some faster finish miles and easily MMTD. roar.

Love the heated seats in my car and that there's a drive-thru coffee shop along the route back to my home. 

Good Luck tomorrow Twocat!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  (Again)

Well...I was just being a big baby!  It was really not that cold.  The wind was bad...and the 2 inches of un-plowed roads stunk...but, except for my hands, I was never cold.  I even stayed out there and ran back to meet a friend to run in with for another mile.  My time wasn't great but I stayed with the leaders for the first 2 miles.  I know I picked it up in the last mile but it seemed like the harder I worked in that snow, the further behind I got.  I kept a hard pace, though, and finished in 19:12...which was good enough for 5th (108) overall and 1st in the 50-59 (13) age group.  This was the slowest I've ever run this race but I'm still happy with my effort.

It was a little hectic before the race...when I went to get in the car, I found 2 inches of snow that had to be shoveled.  I hate having packed down tire tracks.  So, I shoveled as quickly as I could and got to the race a little later than I wanted to.  I know--I'm a big baby.

I hope you feel better soon tomwhite!

Good luck in your race, tomorrow, Twocat!

Nice race Karin!  Do you know what place you ended up in after starting 45 seconds late?

I think I read somewhere that somebody ran on a treadmill when it was 40o outside...no...that can't be right...nobody on here would do that...would they?

Hey Jay--nice workout, this morning.

Okay--I gotta go.  See ya!

Dave59

Good afternoon.  I ran a little $5, 5k this morning.  Saw tselbs there.

I turned 55 today, joined a new age group and promptly came in 6 out of 6.   What are you going to do?  My running has been a bit sluggish lately and I would like to be faster, but I stayed under a 9:00/mile pace and I was happy with that.  Maybe faster times will come back sometime this year, but if not I'll just keep chugging along.

I don't know what the official temp or windchill was today.  My guess is that it did warmup to probably close to 20°.  My hat actually blew off my head at the 2 mile mark, but I was able to catch it just as it took flight so at least I didn't have to go chasing it.  Either my head is shrinking or that hat is getting stretched out too much for windy days.

With warmup and cool down I ran 5.1 miles this morning.

Mike E

MM #5615

Happy birthday, Dave!

Tramps

Happy new-age-group, Dave!

Some funny posts today and some tough running, too.

Not too bad here.  About 18 this morning but minimal winds so it was fine, tough very icy in places.  I just did a short 5 miler.  Since then it's warmed up and we're even getting some melting.  Heat wave!

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

I think I read somewhere that somebody ran on a treadmill when it was 40o outside...no...that can't be right...nobody on here would do that...would they?

Look at taperboy running a marathon after flying all day across the ocean! Enjoy running with the Happy Marathoners!

Karin, so what was your finish time? That type of race would be fun to do!

Twocat, good luck in your race tomorrow. I hope the weather is warm for you!

Happy birthday Dave. What are you doing for your birthday?

Well it is sunny and 30F right now here, it was 12F at 8am. No running yet, but I have a run date with the Easy Pacer and son Daniel at 2pm, My task for the morning is to put away the Holiday decorations. While I pride in being a minimalist when it comes to Christmas decorations I am still spending a chunk of my morning putting them away. Now that I am done and have the house in order again it is time to keep on knitting a scarf for my son for his 3 kings present, which tradition dictates must be left on the window seal on the morning of Jan. the 6th.

Ohh, I did fit in 1 hour of fitness blenders various core and plank XT this morning.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

janie b good

Happy Birthday, Dave59.  55?? ... for some reason I thought you were 59 (must be the year you were born!).  enjoy your cake!

Tet... congrats on your marathon in japan.  so cool.

MikeE ... congrats on your race.  very well done.

TomWhite... sorry to read you are still sick.

3.3 t'mill miles for me.  gym still way crowded.  roads still way icy.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Happy Birthday Dave!!

Tet, your post was interesting, as always.

I don't see any big babies here today!!  You all are awesome getting out there in these temps and conditions.  Did someone really run on a TM with it 40 outside?  It was 36F here, and I did the club run, tremendously foggy, I missed the entrance to the park.  Since I didn't know this route, I tempo'd up today and stuck with faster runners as I was sure I'd get lost and not see people ahead of me in the fog.  Turned into a really nice 5.8 mile run for me (all flat too), with most miles run between 9:34 and 10:10 pace, and the second mile at 8:58 pace as I zeroed in on the back of someone and let them pull me along.  Knew I probably couldn't hold that for the whole time (but who knows?), so I backed off.  Then breakfast afterward, nice crazy bunch of people.  Oh, and I met a  woman that runs about my pace and it sounds like she'd really like to run together more often.  And another woman that belongs to a woman's trail club that runs at my favourite Cougar Mtn every Sat - I am sure I have seen them in the parking lot.  This solitary sport can be super social!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."