Masters Running

My first 5K in 3 years (Read 233 times)

Today I ran in the 32nd Attleboro, MA YMCA 5K, which is the race I last ran in 3 years ago. My goal was to break 23:00 minutes but secretly I would have been happy coming in under 24:00. I actually finished the race in 21:35 and I was thrilled because that was only 28 seconds off of my PR! My first mile split was 7:07 Second mile split was 14:08 Official race results stated that I ran at a 7:01 pace but when I type the race results into my workout summary, it comes up as a 6:57 pace. I finished 16th out of 106 runners and 6th in my age group of 40-49 (I'm 41) The winner of my age group finished at 18:37! Amazing...I can't imagine taking 3 minutes off of my time! My goal for my next 5K which is 4 weeks away will be to beat my PR and finish the race under 21:00 minutes! This seems pretty reasonable to me, especially since I packed on 8 pounds last week while vacationing in Aruba! lol
    Personal Records 5K - 21:35

King of PhotoShop

Certainly you finished at faster than 7 minutes per mile. 7's for a fivek would be 21:45. Good for you to go out easy and then push in. (Most of us do it the opposite!) This should give you both a benchmark for future work and some positive momentum. Good job. Spareribs
      evanflein

Ok, so under the rules of conservation of sproink, I see that Coach Bryant got my 5k race today... Rats, I knew it had gone somewhere. Good for you to nail this one! You sure blew your goal times out of the water. Congratulations on a very nicely run 5k. So many people like them cuz they're short, but I think 5k's are really hard to do well.
          Coach congrats on a great race. I agree with evanflein...5k races are TOUGH!! When you're running that fast, it doesn't seems very short! Nice work
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            I have a love /hate relationship with 5ks...Start fast, Go into oxygen debt and then Hang on by my fingernails. That's my mile by mile strategy. Pretty incredible way to run a 5k after a 3 year gap. Congratulations! CNY
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job! I can't imagine running as fast as you did, so it's all relative! Good luck losing weight quickly - that will make a big difference.
                Thanks for the kudos! I'm glad to be back in the swing of things and it's great having a goal to shoot for! I'm planning on working towards some longer races in the near future...I would like to hit a couple of 10K's this summer and maybe I'll get lucky enough to get into the Falmouth Road Race lottery. I would love to shoot for a 1/2 marathon at some point...but I really need to start logging some long distance miles. Hope the knees hold out! I was pretty spent after completing this 5K...it didn't feel short but the legs felt pretty good and I know I didn't have anything left in the gas tank at the end!
                Personal Records 5K - 21:35
                  Way to go Coach Bryant. You sure smoked your goal. Congratulations. TomS

GreenMan

Great run ,Coach. Good Luck on the next goal. jjj
                    Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                    btb1490

I'll bet your next one is even faster, now that your legs have had a taste of what it's like to move fast! Well done, Coach!
                      busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congratulations! What a blast it must have been to do so much better than you were expecting!
                        -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                        also on Twitter
                          Great race and your times should keep dropping if you keep up the training. Look forward to hearing more. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

HermosaBoy

I have a love /hate relationship with 5ks...Start fast, Go into oxygen debt and then Hang on by my fingernails. That's my mile by mile strategy. Pretty incredible way to run a 5k after a 3 year gap. Congratulations! CNY
                            That's my training partner's strategy. I have been trying to convert him with no result. Although, my fastest 5ks have been when I chase him through that first mile and then hang on. Nice race coach -- I predict you have some much faster times in you in the future. I would not be surprised to see a 19Tight lippedx in the not so distant future!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #957

I agree that 5K's HURT! You sure did a nice job on this one, though - great racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

Nice race and time Coach (that's a fast time)....always nice to run faster than expected Smile I also agree that those pesky 5K's are very difficult....like CNY said "I have a love /hate relationship with 5ks...Start fast, Go into oxygen debt and then Hang on by my fingernails. That's my mile by mile strategy" My last 5K I was waaaay to fast at the first mile marker....then I held on for the longest 2 miles of my life, it seemed. And then swore I would never run another one as I was getting close to the finish line. Then 5 minutes later I couldn't wait till my next race....strange how that works Big grin Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!