Masters Running

Yikes! I got laid off! (Read 449 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Out of the blue yesterday, my boss called me in and gave me two weeks notice. I've been with this company for 18 years! Apparently the company is not doing well, and I'm one of the higher paid employees, so I've become expendable. I was scheduled for a 6-month project, beginning soon, so I thought that would give me some job security. I'm overqualified for the position but the client likes me. Now it seems I'm being replaced by a less expensive guy so the company can make more profit. This sucks! Hopefully I can use this as an opportunity to find something new and different. After 18 years I guess I was coasting along, maybe not putting the energy into the job that I should have been. I work for a consulting firm, so I get a lot of variety through the nature of the work, but a change will still be good.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Oh Wild Carolyn! I am so sorry this happened. But. You have an amazing attitude and that will serve you well. May you find a job that is rewarding and satisfying.
      LaVita
      evanflein

Hmmm, the HR person in me is smelling an age discrimination case here... you might want to check up on it! So sorry to hear the news. That really sucks. Don't know how you're situated in your life, but that would be totally devastating to us...
        seemomgo

Whoa! That's a really stinky thing to have happen. I don't know what to think about it. Can you talk to the client and go on working with them as a consultant? Maybe you can find something closer to home - no more Broomfield driving!!! So sorry this happened to you. I hate hearing of people getting blindsided by stuff like this.

Marathon Maniac #957

That really sucks. Don't know how you're situated in your life, but that would be totally devastating to us...
            My thoughts exactly...so sorry Carolyn, but hopefully you are in a position to be able to coast for a bit and shop around. You have a great attitude about it, and I'll say a couple prayers for a new and exciting opportunity to present itself for you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oh, gee, that sucks, Carolyn! In 1990, DH and I got laid off the same day by our engineering company. I'd just passed the PE exam earlier in the week. We'd been there ALMOST 4 years, when we would have been vested in the retirement plan. Hmm. Then we were each laid off several times during the 90s. Looking back on it, it was the perfect sequence of events. With each new job, we gained a different kind of experience. It also motivated us to start our own consulting firm, and we had a broad base of contacts and experience that have helped us to be pretty successful. Each layoff was terribly stressful (me, on unemployment?!?), but it all worked out. I will be thinking of you!! Teresa
              wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks to all of you for the well wishes. We're lucky we're in a good position financially, so this is not a burden for us. We have no mortgage because we built our own house 14 years ago, so we've had a lot of time to put away money and low expenses. Erika, I'll look into age discrimination, but if the company is trying to save money by using junior employees, is that illegal? Cmom, I'd love to do independent consulting with my current clients, but I'm not sure if there are rules prohibiting stealing clients from your employer. People seem to do it all the time, so maybe its OK. Teresa, most people I know who have gone through a layoff said it worked out well in the end. Glad you and your DH landed on your feet. Hope I do too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

HermosaBoy

YUCK!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

hey wildchild, that just sucks. It sounds like alot of us went throught this. My turn was in 2002, nearly the same situation as you. You are strong and wise and you have all of us here to turn to on those rollercoaster ride days. Here's to a better future job for you!
                    Mariposai

. Glad you and your DH landed on your feet. Hope I do too!
                      I have no doubt that you will land on your feet wildchild. You are a very competitive professional and a very strong woman. We will be here to support you thru this.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

What a rotten deal, wildchild. As others have said, you have a good attitude. I'm glad to hear you are in a situation where it won't be devastating financially. My best wishes for something better to come as a result. TomS
                        coastwalker

Cmom, I'd love to do independent consulting with my current clients, but I'm not sure if there are rules prohibiting stealing clients from your employer. People seem to do it all the time, so maybe its OK.
                          I'm really sorry this happened to you, Carolyn, but I'm confident, especially with your great attitude, that you'll turn this lemon of an experience into a right tasty drink. Regarding "stealing" clients from your employer: I'm far from an expert on this, but I believe that unless you signed a non-compete agreement when you started with them (or at some time along the way), you are free to approach your clients. I also think that those rules may not apply if you are laid off, unless specifically stated otherwise in an agreement you signed. So don't automatically assume that you can't approach those clients, if that is what you want to do. Best of luck! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

I'm sorry to hear of this Carolyn. When it's time to do the resume and write letters, I'll be happy to help. Take a look at your contract regarding your rights on consulting with the firm's clients. If they severed you and are paying you severance, then you might forfeit that if you approach a client. If you are talking to EEOC anyway, I'm sure they can give you guidance. Teresa's story about starting her own consulting firm is like mine, except that I did this by myself in '01. I broke even the first year but the practice has grown very steadily ever since and I am very happy. When I called our accountant and told him, "I am going into business for myself," he said, "Congratulations!" I remember many years ago when I was in banking I worked with an ad agency in New England. The owner was very successful and I asked him what motivated him to start his own company. He said, "Simple. I got tired of being fired all the time." You never know when life hands you a big opportunity. Your pride is hurt right now of course, but think positively. You have a lot going for you and this may be your chance. Spareribs
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

I think Jay is right about using clients from your employer. DH did quit, and his employer tried to say he'd signed a non-compete agreement. But our attorney reviewed it and showed us that it just said he wouldn't share any information or procedures used in that firm. The boss made threatening noises about taking DH to court, but he never did. It might be worth your time to talk briefly with an attorney about that issue as well as the possibility of age discrimination. We LOVE being consultants. We get paid for all our time! Smile

Renee the dog

Cmom, I'd love to do independent consulting with my current clients, but I'm not sure if there are rules prohibiting stealing clients from your employer.
                                First off, WOW what a shocker! Glad you are OK with it. Secondly, um, they fired you, so in my mind, all bets are off. Wink But, generally, and laws are different in different places, if they didn't put a "no compete" clause in your employment contract, you are in the clear. Also, an employer can make you sign anything, but it might not be complying to what state law is. Try to find what the legal timeframe is in your state, the client's state or your employer's home state (help me HR folks as to which jurisdiction matters), and work around that. Let's say it's 6 months that a former employee can't compete. That gives Jr. Guy just enough time to go in and really mess things up with former client. At the 6 mo. mark, place call to former client to let them know you're available for consulting, if they ever have a need. You will be like an angel sent from heaven. Evil grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!