Masters Running

Wednesday, 12.9.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice foggy 5, Dave. The new computer sounds great - except for those annoying ads! I agree that they should be illegal, especially on a new computer.

Hi Slo - welcome back! I'm glad that you are starting to take your life back from work, and that you'll get your running back on track too.

Aamos, there are too few foods that are not, in some way, genetically-modified these days. I don't like the concept of 'modifying' salmon just to get it to market faster. There are always unintended consequences, and sometimes they are harmful in the long term. If GM foods are on the market, I would prefer them labeled as such so I have a choice to eat them or not. Nice 8-miler yesterday. Yes, I do drink coffee, but probably not enough...

Leslie, I'm glad your 6er yesterday went from heavy to perky to sproinky. Nice job of passing the guy, regardless of his age. Our cat always spends at least part of the night on the bed in the winter, whether I'm awake or not.

Tet, it sounds like you have a very strange computer, with Skype magically opening and Google Chrome turning to ads. Don't tell Twocat about your running and dancing in the rain. Being able to sleep anywhere is an art and a gift - good for you!

TW, DW has said for years that computers are a plot to ultimately drive down productivity, with all the glitches, freezes, mysterious incompatibilities and other lovely things they give us to waste time on. Nice post-Learn-To-Swim workout!

Good 10er along the Gulf, Steve. Was it the problem with Supergirl's pierced ears that woke you at 4:30 yesterday? Do you take home a treat for Tag when you return from a trip - ice cream, maybe??

Nice 6 for you too, TSelbes.

Good run in the new Gel-Nimbus, Moebo.

I was in a productive (but 3-hr) meeting yesterday morning, and went to a neighboring town's planning board meeting (by invitation) last night to support their conservation commission's rewrite of their wetlands ordinances. Of course, that was the last item on the agenda, so that wound up being almost a 3 hour meeting too. I was almost going to sleep in again this morning, but I didn't want to miss another workout. So I was up and out at the usual time for 6+ RW miles in 36F temps under overcast skies. All-in-all, a decent workout.

I'm having BWB (breakfast with the boss) at our favorite dive this morning, and then a meeting with our town attorney about our proposed zoning warrant articles. We finally got bids on rebuilding the dam that we've been working on for about 3 years. They came in more than twice as high as the 'high' estimate the engineering firm had suggested the project would cost. We're looking/scrambling for alternatives because I don't believe the town will approve that much of an expenditure for this project. Very frustrating.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Dam Jay...I'm not surprised about the low "high" estimate from the engineering firm. That seems to be what we usually encounter from the engineering firms we use here at work.

No run today. I did a 35 minute heart pumping spin on the spin bike. I've been fighting an aggravated calf and find it difficult to string back to back runs together without it barking at me.

SteveP

Mornin' everyone.

Aamos, there are too few foods that are not, in some way, genetically-modified these days. I don't like the concept of 'modifying' salmon just to get it to market faster. There are always unintended consequences, and sometimes they are harmful in the long term. 

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

I've watched enough cartoons to know this is true

It must be frustrating about your dam proposal.

I'm with ya Slo.

I I have a Florida half on trails Saturday. I ran twice in November. This week,three consecutive days. Other than watching Jumanji while drinking Red Bull and listening to psychobilly, I've not trained. 11 slow miles on the Gulf.

SteveP

TammyinGP

Good Morning - is it morning already?? dang....finally fell asleep about 3:00 or so and alarm goes off at 5:47 (yes, that's correct), so lots of coffee on tap for me this morning.  It was so crazy windy with heavy rain last night and I cannot sleep with the wind whipping around like a hurricane - not when there are trees swaying around beyond how a tree should even be able to bend.

Running? nah, hasn't been happening lately in my world - way too much other stuff going on lately. Hopefully Saturday morning I can get out there and hit some trails again.

Tammy

Thanks for getting us started, Jay.  Hope you're able to find the alternatives you need to get the dam built.

30 min of stat biking, with the middle 10 min progressively harder.  The whole 30 min actually went by pretty darn fast.  I was surprised.  Followed it up with about 30 min of core/ST, concentrating on the hips, glutes, gut/back.

We have the same storm working it's way to us that Tammy's experiencing.  Never fear, Tet, you have more on the way!  Day before yesterday, Portland, OR, had such bad flooding, they had to disburse waste water into the Columbia River or the waste water was going to flood into the streets.  Crappy decision to have to make.  (Get it?  Waste Water . . .?? )  We've been having warnings of high winds and flooding starting this afternoon and for the next few days.  We'll see what happens!  I have 14 miles to run on Saturday and had planned on running those miles on trails. If it's really windy, I may have to rethink that - falling limbs and all.

Okay - Go enjoy your Wednesday ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Noon bell on Wednesday!!!!!!

What half are you doing Steve?  Want to stop by Cape Coral Sunday, we have a 5K, half and full going on; come for the party.  Bring dad.  It's the BDR if you need directions.

Bad food news.  I didn't know GMO was so prevalent. 

So much fun last night with Speedsters.  We did mile repeats downtown by the river.  I sported my lights vest.  It spurred me on to do 5 miles.   Felt like a kid out after the street lights were on; of course, coach told us if we're running Sunday not to overdo it, just run race pace.  Of course we didn't listen, but it was just fun fast running, not like intervals.  Wheeee!

Then I got to drive past the Edison Estate that is all lit up with its Festival of Lights:

Just 6 this morning.  A little more sun today....prolly will be back full strength in time for Sunday .

Thanks for the podcast recs, moebo.  Hope Denise gets to listen to the one I cited.  If you  and/or Leslie listen to it, let me know what think.

I thought it raised some questions worth pondering....

Thinking about the Chicago Marathon.  It's huge, I know, but I've never done it.   But then, I also want to get up the nerve to go back to Detroit and run it.  (Better check my passport....)

Enjoy the rest o' of the day.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - you need a passport for Detroit?

I got another call from one of DD's teachers.  She is goofing off in Language Arts class too much.  Apparently she got written up and sent to the principal today for twirling and dancing across her classroom.  (sigh)

5 miles on the TM this morning doing 1 and 2 minute intervals for 30 minutes, plus WU and CD.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...Good to see Slo posting, and Sleep-Deprived Tammy..........

=============

....50s and sprinkles here

60-min HH walk at CC course...............not much Sun, but I enjoyed what there was of it

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Never fear, Tet, you have more on the way!

Don't tell dua-saber but, at last, at last, the morn was a foul-weather idiot’s dream come true.
                    Woke up in the 5am darkness to an area-wide power outage, flood warnings, school and road closures, heavy rains and winds plus rare thunder-and-lightning highlighting the skies.  Immediately donned foul-weather gear including water-proof socks from REI I hadn’t worn since a late summer trek up to Camp Muir at 10,000' on Mt. Rainier five-or-six years ago and set out on foot for the office five miles away. 
                    The maelstron didn’t stop several idi. . . I mean, brave cyclists either, . . . until a strong gust blew one guy over on the slippery pavement right in front of me.  His bike was okay, still flashing and blinking in unison with the sparking electrical wires above but he was gripping his knee and could barely get remounted.  I tried to reassure him not to worry and lied that “if it’s anything like me it’ll only take one-or-two months to get better” but he was strangely calm, apparently believing that, “it’s okay, just a little scrape, I think.”  Unfortunately, the way he was limping, and grimacing, it really looked like a six-months-or-more injury, . . .  but I didn’t want to discourage him with saying so. we’ll see.
                    Then, on a sudden, the rain changed to the noisy clatter of hail on my hooded rain jacket already whipping in the wind as the bike path ahead, and grassy lawns adjacent, turned white as a new-fallen snow.  Hard and rolly, the gusts began to roll up hail drifts two-to-three inches deep along the curbs and under the larger trees. I made my first hailball and tossed it skyward.  It would have been the fastest I’ve run in my life too if I could have kept up to the wind when it got behind me.
                    Unfortunately, clearing skies are predicted for this afternoon so the return route after work probably won’t be half-as-much fun, if that.  No wonder I love running so much.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Portland, OR, had such bad flooding, they had to disburse waste water into the Columbia River or the waste water was going to flood into the streets.  Crappy decision to have to make.  (Get it?  Waste Water . . .?? )

soooo ziggeeeeee.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Don't tell dua-saber but, at last, at last, the morn was a foul-weather idiot’s dream come true.

....Foul Weather Idiots of The World Unite,,,,You have Nothing to Lose But Your Pants.........

,,,,,,,,er,,,,ok,,,,,,,,,,still working on our motto

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Jay, good luck with the dam business.  steve, another nice long run.  Holly, just imagine, down the road, how enjoyable it will be to tell your grandkids about their mother's escapades, assuming you live through them.  tet, interesting experience in the hail.

This morning, it was in the high 30s and there was some wind.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:24 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Holly, just imagine, down the road, how enjoyable it will be to tell your grandkids about their mother's escapades, assuming you live through them.

Tet - You made me wish I had been there with you!  And thumbs on trying to make the cyclist think it wasn't as bad as it probably is.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

Amy, I'll be at Hillsborough River State Park

Amy - you need a passport for Detroit?

It goes into Canada.

When I used to babysit Fred Flinstone, I got caught in a hail storm. I heard odd ping/thapping noise on my helmet. The was a "What the heck " moment. Then a hail stone hit the very end of my nose.

I did get Tag ice cream to take back. Sadly, it didn't work out for him.

SteveP

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

You are a big fatty liar. All the time you talk about going run run run and I stay home alone and be sad watching TV.

Dad called when it was morning and I was laying next to Mom when she was reading. She made the phone loud and I heared Dad. I turned my head away. When he did stop using words and said he misses me, I just got up and went to my couch and beed sad. He is having ice cream and making critters go run run run. He can stay at the Golf and be dumb.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Sayhey! MM#130

O NO!  Tag and Steve: Can this relationship be saved????

I am sad.

.....and he's right, Holly, as to Canada and the passport being necessary in Detroit.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)