Masters Running

Boston Dreams! (Read 703 times)

#artbydmcbride

Ever since I became a runner, I have heard tales of running Boston. The history, the legends, the mystique filled me with yearning. Part of the allure to be sure is the prestige; you have to earn an entry to the Boston marathon by meeting the qualifying standards. Getting a BQ is the quest of many marathoners. The Lord has blessed me with many fine qualities: good looks, wit, brilliance, modesty, stubbornness, and a capacity for hard work, but he skimped a bit when it came to running talent, specifically speed. Roll eyes Realizing this and discovering there was a back door to Boston, I pursued my dream by applying to be a charity runner entry. I was accepted and began raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis Society. This was an ideal cause for me because my father had MS, and I knew first hand what a heartbreaking disease it is. On Monday April 21, I joined over 22,000 runners and boarded a bus for the athlete’s village in Hopkington. I milled about and people watched and headed for the start line like I was in a fairytale. The gun went off somewhere far ahead and slowly the crowd of runners made it to the start line and I was off! I was doing it! I was running the Boston marathon! Smile Everything I had read about the course and sights along the way I began to live for real; the turn at the firehouse, the screaming girls, the children reaching out for their hands to be slapped. It was all vividly alive and yet still like a waking dream. I felt strong and powerful and I ran all the way. I climbed the hills and flew down the downhills. Coming into the fabulous city of Boston towards the end I recognized someone standing on a corner. It helped me to recognize him that he is only about 6’5” tall. Big grin I called out “hey HighHeat!” and kept running. He probably wondered whose froggy voice had called out to him. Big grin At the final turn, a hand came over the barrier and grabbed my hand and I looked up and it was my darling Fast Forward. I squeaked “hi!” and grinned and kept running down the road finally to the finish line! I just want to thank all of you who so generously donated to the MS cause through me. Your contributions will change the quality of life and give hope for the future to so many. And you made my dream come true. Smile

Runners run

Ilene, I don't see how any cause so noble could be considered a back door. Walk, or I should say run proudly through that door with your head held high. Congratulations on a great accomplishment. While you may find running speed elusive you have shown that you posess what all distance runners want...a tremendous heart! Well done. Tut

Marathon Maniac #957

Ilene - Congratulations on running the Boston Marathon and raising money for a wonderful cause! It was great to meet you, if only for a moment or two.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sweet. Such joy! Congratulations on fulfilling this dream Ilene! But give us the real dirt. Who was the 6'5" HighHeat guy? Does FastForward know? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

seemomgo

I have been wondering where this report was!! Yeah for you!! You experienced probably the best marathon around - and did a good deed in the process. Speed is highly over-rated and the fact that you helped others gets you bigger angel wings!!! I am so glad you had a good time! I bet it was asesome to see Mr. FOrward at the end - I can imagine the beautiful smile on your face! Congratulations!!!!

King of PhotoShop

I believe that the people who run this great race for a worthy cause are every bit as important to the race as the BQ folks. You earned your ticket just like everyone else. I am so glad you had a good experience, that you were strong throughout, and that you were able to achieve your goal. Well done Ilene. Spareribs
                Thanks for this report....Ilene.. I can somewhat relate because about 12 years ago I walked in a fund raiser done by the Jimmy Fund and the Cancer Foundation in New England along with 6,000 others. It is/was the only other organization allowed to use the exact Boston Marathon route. This was back before I was running and I forget how long it took me to finish it, but I did it. MS is a great cause to have run this Marathon for. I had an aunt who died of the disease many years ago. I am thrilled for you, to have gotten this opportunity to "do Boston". Congratulations.
                Vista
                evanflein

What a wonderful report, Ilene! You are the epitome of the wonderful Boston experience. Thanks for sharing. And it was so nice to see you and FF again, you really are a dynamic duo. I hope our paths cross again in the not too distant future. (we have a couple employees battling MS right now, they're both on the path to total disability... it is a truly devastating disease... thanks for helping!) (HighHeat is from KR, right?)
                    Thank you, Ilene, for your charity work. And congrats on running the Boston Marathon!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      (sorry about that, computer error - nut behind the keyboard....) Big grin Hey Ilene, congrats to you for running your dream, and raising $$$ for the MS society. Who is High Heat? Mr. Forward is a wonderful guy, always so supportive of you and your running. I'm glad he was there to see you cross the finish line and complete your dream race. What's next in your running career ????
                        I was so looking forward to meeting you in Boston! What a wonderful opportunity for us to finally get together with the multi-talented Ilene and her hunky DH. You're right - it was like a fairy tale and we'll have those memories for a long time. Thank you for your efforts in raising funds for MS - you, and the other runners dedicated to helping these causes, have made a lasting contribution.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Absolutely Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Head Procrastinator

One thing about not being the fastest runner, you get to experience MORE of everything! Congratulations on fulfilling a dream and also on your fundraising efforts for the MS society. It was good to see you and FastForward albeit way too briefly on Saturday. Barb
                            ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                              Ilene - One of the best parts about the Boston Marathon for me was to finally get to meet you and Fast Forward in person. Thank you for donating your energy and time for this worthy cause; thank you for coming all the way to Boston to run 26.2 miles, and thank you for a great race report. your fren, louking (aka WRFB)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

tnally

Ilene, I joined RA just so I could comment on your race report. Big grin I'm so glad you finally got to realize your dream. I'm just bummed that I didn't get to meet you while you were in the area. Next year for sure. Tom